Sign in to follow this  
Koshiir

Great job with the ending, Tim! *spoilers*

I think I had the same expression as Shay and Vella all through that ending. Man. MAAAN.
Were you the one, who a very long time ago speculated that Shay's ship was the monster threatening Vella's village? Or was that someone else? At the time I thought they were just throwing darts at a board, but daaaaaaammmmnnn......

Nope, that totally blindsided me. I did speculate that Marek had to do with both stories, which I guess is true, but not in the way I expected. I expected Marek would turn up a bit later in Vella's story.

I do have a question for someone who completely did Vellas story first. Shays ends with a flash of light shot at him, and then he is unconscious on the ships deck anytime you switch to him. I assume if you do it the other way, it's Vella unconscious on the beach and nothing to do but go back to Shay?

yup!

That's what I thought, but I'm still curious... if you finish with Shay, how does it get from the unconscious bit to him climbing out of Mog Chothra? It seemed natural with Vella because she downs it, then falls over, then there's a hole in it and Shay comes out. What happens the other way around?

It just shows him coming out of the mouth. There is nothing between him on the ships deck and him crawling out. But..... it looks to be that the 'space' wasn't really space, but was inside Mog Chothra, which would put Shay able to breathe and wake up to run through the hole.

I think I had the same expression as Shay and Vella all through that ending. Man. MAAAN.
Were you the one, who a very long time ago speculated that Shay's ship was the monster threatening Vella's village? Or was that someone else? At the time I thought they were just throwing darts at a board, but daaaaaaammmmnnn......

Nope, that totally blindsided me. I did speculate that Marek had to do with both stories, which I guess is true, but not in the way I expected. I expected Marek would turn up a bit later in Vella's story.

Ok, maybe it was Bidiot Bales, lol. I remember someone with a really high post count.

Absolutely loved it, and I didn't see the twist coming at all. Excellent job, Tim!

The ending scene with the reversed sides, very nice.

Will make an excellent starting off point for act 2... :D

According to my save file it took me exactly 3h 57min...

My only hickup was in Meriloft with Gus, other than that I had pretty smooth sailing.

Loved the bit with Curtis Hipsterjack, excellent dialogue. ;)

And just like I expected, I loved Jennifer Hale as Mother. So nice to get to hear her

in a soft, caring role instead of the tough badass. She was extraordinary!

Fantastic ending! Just a fantastic story throughout. Really excited to replay it when the retail version comes out in a few weeks and even more excited for Act 2!

I really took my time and savoured every last bit, clicked everything, more than once, think I explored every nook and cranny and Steam is telling me I played it for 7 hours. That's one time through. Did all Vella's then all Shay's. In that order.

Took about 4-5 hours, taking short breaks.

I did Shay's story first, and I'm super glad I did as it doubled the "oh sh!t!" ending :D

Vella's story I found to be more classic and slightly harder. While I think it's nice that the players gets to choose which side to play first, playing Shay's first has a few story & gameplay advantages.

:) That's great! Thanks for playing!

Wow, so you all finished all ready? How long did it take you?

Took me around 4 hours, totally satisfied with it. Didn't feel like I would get stuck on any point even though on few puzzles it wasn't so clear to me first what to do. Special mention for the spaceweaving puzzle, it was my favourite.

And boy I had no clue about the twist in the end. I wish I would had my webcam set to record my face when it happened. It would have been something epic.

To my opinion act 1 is rather short. I ran it in only 3.5 hours.

I like the story and am curious to find out where it is heading. But I was expecting at least 2 hours more game play :(.

Had only 1 crash where there was a sort of alarm that drowned out the sound in the cloud colony, and a few minor incidents where the loading time for certain actions took a little longer that they should (the game froze for about 20 seconds on multiple occasions).

I could not really get used to Vella’s voice, as it sounds a bit forced (in which I mean, that to me it sounds like the voice actor is using a different voice. Which is what voice actors do of course, but I believe you should not be able to distinguish between the two).

The music is gorgeous, and it really makes those worlds feel very immersive.

The design of the worlds is pretty nice (not my cup of tea, but I knew that from the documentaries. So I knew what I was getting into).

The controls are very easy and every adventure gamer will have no problems getting started.

The difficulty is almost non existent, I really feel that this is something that could have been worked on more.

There were not that many objects that you could pick up, and almost all of the object have a use for them.

The combining element is to my opinion under used and I feel that there could have been more dialogue jokes (I bought a Shafer game, I expect to be rolling around laughing. I was not).

I really hope that act 1 is mostly the introduction part and the real fireworks will be there for act 2. Otherwise the game is at best mediocre and will probably mean that Broken Age was the final adventure game instead of the revival of the genre.

So my fingers are crossed.

Just finished. Loved the twist at the end. Made me go "OH SHIT!". After that a lot of things made sense from playing Shay first.

Hmm started playing around 4... just finished and its 10 now, thats 6 hours BUT im slow... in da head :P, So I'll have to say id estimate to be at least 4 hours WHICH IS FINE. Even if the second part is just as long thats about 8 hours. And considering how much it cost, its a pretty good deal... ACTUALLY NO

Considering that the game has beautiful art, great voice acting, wonderful music, challenging puzzles, and a well written story ITS DEFINITELY A GOOD DEAL REGARDLESS OF HOW LONG IT IS!

Thank you Tim and everyone else at Double Fine! This is maybe my favorite game from you guys since Psychonauts.

Loved the twist at the end, I didn't see it coming despite all the clues that seem obvious in retrospect. Can't wait to see how everything fits together in Act 2. Also I hope we get to revisit some of the side characters that maybe didn't get enough screen time as I liked such as Harm'ny and Marek.

I finished in 4 hours(minus some pee brakes), but I've played a lot of adventure games.

I'm certain that it would normally take someone a lot longer.

I would like part 2 to be harder.

I got through in about 4.5 hours (took a few breaks, silly work interrupting me...), played fully through Vella's story and then Shay's. I have to say the story was expertly put together. There were a couple times I had major "A-HAH! I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" moments as I got closer to the end and turns out I was wrong on all counts. Well Played guys, Well Played.

Steam says about 3 hours. I blazed through Shay's area in about an hour. Went AFK from the game for about 10-15 minutes to help my brother solve some puzzles for Vella (which, in turn, made my Vella run shorter). All in all, though, I think it was worth it. And I was a slacker backer who paid 35 for it. I do wish some of the items combined better and some of the solutions seemed too easy and obvious (and those were the ones I missed because I discounted them and/or expected harder/weirder solutions).

I laughed out loud several times, which is quite a feet. Vella is also a sadistic monster, but that's neither here nor there.

Took me about 4.5 hours too

I played the beginning of Vella's section, and then all of Shay's before going back, and I think that made the plot twist very obvious for me. I called it really early on in my play through

soo... why does marek need those girls? xD

yeah that's the question right there.

And i'd like to know if shay's "dad" has anything to do with it too. He was so hands off, but always lurking around in the background.

and what's up with shay's "mom"? She mentioned some story about a girl breaking from tradition or something

Marek (I hope I spelled that right) definitely feels like the character that will tie it all together. Hard to tell if he's villainous just yet, but his motivations are still a mystery and it's difficult to trust him at this point. Still, he may have some "greater good" motivation that won't become clear until later. There's still a lot of questions that I can't even come close to guessing answers for, but I'm really interested in finding out how everything came to be.

He seems like he's genuinely concerned about Shay when the "ship" is under attack so I don't really think he's outright evil.

soo... why does marek need those girls? xD

yeah that's the question right there.

And i'd like to know if shay's "dad" has anything to do with it too. He was so hands off, but always lurking around in the background.

and what's up with shay's "mom"? She mentioned some story about a girl breaking from tradition or something

I noticed that too, I have a sneaking suspicion there is more to him than meets the eye. I liked the couple of shots he took the the overmother too... heh

Also had an "oh my god now I get it" moment at the ending's revelation. Pretty awesome stuff.

I hope you guys reconsider and make at least a third act, even if it takes one additional year. You know, like how The Hobbit's adaptation was originally planned as two movies? ;)

I should have gotten it earlier, but that just says how good of a twist it is. It was very cleverly woven in. I finished the game in about 4 hours, with a few breaks and getting stuck at one or two parts. I went straight through Vella on account of she's my favorite then through Shay. I found the game to be funny and adorable, but that's as a newcomer to the adventure game genre. And even the puzzles did seem to be contained and not particularly difficult. They did get me to explore the world, though, I think they did their job. And if I didn't laugh out loud every five minutes, I was definitely smiling through most of the game.

I really do want to see how the story goes on from here, though. Hopefully the two stories start to overlap even more as it reaches the climax. Even then, with the documentary and everything else I definitely don't regret the money I've invested in this experience, not one bit.

I was on a lookout for a twist, but Alex threw me off as he was intended to. Great Act I and I'm looking forward to the coming docs and Act II!

I made the connection between the creatures and the sacrificial maidens fairly quickly and correctly predicted before it happened, but it was still an incredibly satisfying twist!

Edit: As with others, it took me a little less than 4 hours to finish. In general, I found shay's puzzles to be more challenging/satisfying, and the game was perhaps just a touch too easy overall. The two puzzles I got the most stuck on were the peach puzzle (though once I figured it out, it was one of those incredibly obvious in retrospect moments) and the airlock (kept focusing on the plant red herring).

zomg.

I'll admit, I played through Shay first, so I ended up very confused as to how it all tied together... until I saw this thread and got the A-HA! moment in hindsight. My mind = blown.

The art was just fantastic; exactly as promised, it was like walking through paintings. The decision to use hybrid 2-D and 3-D allowed for EXTREMELY expressive characters, well beyond any simple sprites would have been capable of. The seamless aesthetic between characters and backgrounds, all of it feeling like part of the same painting... just... wow.

As for value propositions, I got 3 hours according to Steam. And frankly, $25 for a very satisfying 6 hour game? I'll take it. There are AAA blockbusters with less gameplay time and more money than that. I value a tightly focused and incredibly high quality short experience more than something padded to hell and back with same-y filler. (Lookin' at you, Bioshock Infinite.)

GREAT work, Double Fine. Looking forward to Act II!

I feel like I need to play it again to pick up on all the little hints as to what was *really* going on.

That ending was epic! I loved it but that means Marik knows somehow I'm curious and it makes me happy way to go Tim!

WOW!!! That ending!! My draw was dropped and I couldn't have loved it more!!! CANNOT WAIT FOR ACT II!!!

Oddly enough, Steam says I have only played 25 minutes. Must have been the result of a very late crash just before I finished Shay's story.

Anyhow, THE ENDING. So great! Also feel like I should have seen it coming, but just didn't. Tied everything together wonderfully. I finished Vella's story first, then Shay's. I'm glad I did, I think it made the ending have slightly more impact. Either way though, top stuff. :D Very much looking forward to a more challenging part 2!

Oddly enough, Steam says I have only played 25 minutes. Must have been the result of a very late crash just before I finished Shay's story.

Anyhow, THE ENDING. So great! Also feel like I should have seen it coming, but just didn't. Tied everything together wonderfully. I finished Vella's story first, then Shay's. I'm glad I did, I think it made the ending have slightly more impact. Either way though, top stuff. :D Very much looking forward to a more challenging part 2!

People are saying it both ways around. Like I finished Shay's first, and it seems to me like THAT way around would have more impact. I guess they both do! Extremely clever way of doing it anyway. I can't remember the last time I have been so knocked down by a twist.

Maybe that moment in Grim Fandango at the start of Act 2 up to the ship leaving gave me similar chills.

Maybe the end of Monkey Island 2.

That moment was right up there with that, I think. Legitimately one of the most memorable adventure game moments I have ever experienced.

Sign in to follow this