Sign in to follow this  
Koshiir

Great job with the ending, Tim! *spoilers*

I played the Shay half first, and the ending just popped into my head during Vella's part when I talked to the girl that got left behind in Meriloft. Still love the story but wish I'd had the impact of it being a surprise :(

Well, this seems to be the go-to review thread, so here goes without opening a new one:

Very nice ending, though I can't say I was completely bowled over by the "revelation" aspect of it. I'd been switching back and forth between Shay and Vella, and there are just too many similarities; if you let Shay talk to "Mother" after having encountered Marek, it becomes almost too obvious; add to that what/who you discover in the pyramid, and there's not much left to be amazed about. What did get to me in a good way was what happened after the "reveal", and I hope that will be explored a lot further in Act 2 (rather than solving the problem with a single "find crowbar, apply crowbar"-type thing).

What I absolutely adored about the game as a whole was the attention to detail, plus the love given to every single character. I'm pretty sure there's not a single npc in any room that I've forgotten after one playthrough, and each one of them has a motivation and memorable personality.

There's also the small visual details: The myriad little bots going through their maintenance tasks in the background were wonderful, for example. I wished that Shay would comment on some of them, but I guess he's a bit jaded after all this time. Speaking of jaded: oh god, the breakfast cereals! Putting this much effort (and localization effort!) into what is pretty much a throwaway gag made the whole thing feel right from the start.

Then there's Marek. He's probably among my top ten favourite game characters now. A bit reminiscent of Homer's coyote spirit guide from The Simpsons in many ways, but with a "G-Man" weirdness all of his own. I especially loved how rarely he would comment on things Shay said -- for much of the time, you can forget that he is listening constantly, which made his occasional comments all the more wonderful. My only gripe is that in your rather frank discussion with "Mother" when you return to the bridge (while being able to roam the ship freely), you can ask her about Marek directly, and while there may be very good reasons for her to dismiss the question, I was a little surprised that Marek himself stays absolutely silent. I mean, you've just betrayed him in a sense... I'm a little unsure if this is for a good reason or an oversight. I can imagine that it would be intentional, but if so, there's some plot detail I can't even think of yet. Which would be great. :D

And finally -- not sure if to post this as continuity bug in the proper forum or not -- since I spent ages trying to solve the riddle of Yorn because I knew perfectly well what the answer was, but could not for the life of me figure out how to get the item (having eaten the first one I got without thinking about how I got it in the first place), I had the stage built long before I got into the pyramid. The not-quite-mayor then delays the ceremony for Vella's sake, but if you approach the ribbon and say "let's cut this already", he still yells "the stage is not built yet" in reaction. It should be more of a "Does this mean you're ready to go?", with Vella answering "not yet, just checking" before retreating.

So, all in all: amid all the discussions about actual playtime, Steam debates and so on -- Broken Age has its heart in exactly the right place, which is what matters. It's charming, it's loveable, it's memorable -- and for me, that's what it takes to make me say "I love it" about a PnC Adventure.

Took about 5 hours to complete, but I loved every minute of it! And dat ending! Holy Mog, I didn't see that coming.

I loved the music, the art, the voice acting (particularly vella's).

All in all, a brilliant piece of work, can't wait for Act 2 now.

I've just had a thought. If the creatures we were saving in shay's story line were the maidens, why was it so hard to get to Prima Doom? Did the ship know that it was where Mog Chothra would be defeated by Vella?

I've just had a thought. If the creatures we were saving in shay's story line were the maidens, why was it so hard to get to Prima Doom? Did the ship know that it was where Mog Chothra would be defeated by Vella?

Could be an oversight or plot hole, but I feel that this will be explained more in Act 2. There were a few layers of deception in Shay's story, so I imagine there are a few unexplained details that will eventually color that in.

I finished the game and I think it is awesome. I also loved the ending really. First I played through Vellas part and then I went to Shays part. Sadly I figured out what was happening as soon as I picked up the creatures with the hook. In this moment it occurred to me that I'm Mog Chokra... Still the ending was great and I can't wait to play Act 2.

Loved it *****SPOILERS******* So do you think the girls are actually alive in the cargo bay?

I don't know?

Why excatly did Marrik want to catch them?

Is he as clueless as Shay, or is something going on? Are they like, fuel for the spaceship?

But, the ending was awesome!

I hated the "pick up monsters"-mini game, until the ending.

On my second playthrough I loved it :D

i literally had no clue that would happen lol i was playing as shay first fully and then came back to vella , only when i saw deadeye kinda looking related to shay , i started getting the picture but after taking down mog and seeing shay , i truly understood what was , brilliant setup that damn wolf , i hope everyone plays as shay first , it really blows your mind to start with vella afterwards

My save file says 2 hours and 34 minutes. Kind of blasted right through this one! The only time I was stumped was when I was over thinking the puzzle pieces instead of thinking about the goal.

I kind of missed the twist because I was over-thinking Marek's role. I started to suspect that maybe he was just a part of the "keeping Shay entertained" thing, playing up to his thirst for danger and rebelliousness by making things seem more real instead. That could still be what was happening? I dunno! Eager for part 2 :)

*****MAY CONTAIN SPOLERS******

Loved the game, didnt see the endtwist coming at all!

Started out playing Vella and had loads of fun, loved the grandpa at the beginning :>

Storywise its fun to play both sides, the puzzles werent too complex, even though I was stuck on a couple of them (For example, to get shay out of the 'loop' took me longer than expected haha) I actually liked the way they were balanced. Not too hard, not too easy for me.

Really excited about act2 ! Bring it on Tim & Co! :)

Ps. Didnt encounter any bugs, pretty solid playthrough for me!

Wonderful first act, I loved every minute of it (and 4 hours according to Steam is a lot of minutes).

I have to agree with the consensus that the puzzles were pretty easy, and obviously that shortens the length of the game. However, given the charming and delightful tone of the world and characters, I don't see it as being necessarily a bad thing. I wonder if a harder difficulty wouldn't dispel the magic a little bit.

My mouth was wide agape during the ending. Even after watching it again with the knowledge of the twist in mind I'm amazed how powerful it is. I guess the re-use of the visual motive of the very beginning is a reason for that and maybe also that Tim wisely chose to refrain from putting dialogue into the scene.

Of course, the ending leaves many questions to be pondered. What is exactly the purpose of Mog Chothra? Why are the maidens kidnapped? Has it something to do with the mother computer's memories of being a sacrifice girl? Was Mog Chothra inhabited by other kids prior to Shay (consider that the sacrifices happen every 14 years)? What does Marek know? What are his intentions?

What also got to me about the ending is that it concretized how the two storylines relate to each other time-wise. When you "save" the "creatures" for the first time you're actually playing a scene that takes place before Vella's story starts. It's probably connected to the maiden feast in the cloud colony? At the end of Act I the two stories basically sync up time-wise.

I was starting to see the connections between the worlds (Mostly because I played Vella's story in its entirety first, they Shay's) but i had my own assumptions, like one story took place before or after the other. I assumed it was hinted that the man in the spaceship in Vella's story was an adult Shay, then I thought they were hinting that the Mother's story was about Vella and she somehow had her memories. It was not until I finished both tales then saw Shay emerge from Mog Chathra's mouth that I began to put two and two together - that Shay was somehow controlling Mog Chathra and that the mini games where you rescued creatures were actually the maiden's feasts - that the particualry feisty creatures were Vella. So at least the other maidens are alive (for better or worse, depending on one's opinion of them) and in the cargo hold. But, thankfully, they still left questions about the nature of these worlds and characters and their connections unanswered for act 2 - which was pretty smart. I think that switching the characters' environments could be rather effective, as long as they somehow make contact again (fingers crossed) and I am definitely looking forward to the finale. I just hope that the second half is as long as the first! I really want this story to take its time!

:) That's great! Thanks for playing!

Wow, so you all finished all ready? How long did it take you?

5 hours to complete first time through. I got genuinely stumped and had to sit at my kitchen table staring at a coffee mug for like an hour (with the game off, not included in the 5 hours) until suddenly...

**SPOILERS**

WHY DIDN'T I THINK TO PUT THE SHOES ON THE LADDER, GOSH!!!!

**/SPOILERS**

I seriously cried when I figured it out. I haven't been as happy about a moment in gaming for a really long time.

Tomorrow, my son (who struggles with English, but until a Japanese localization comes out, oh well) shall attempt.

He seemed to like Grim Fandango (though I'm not sure how much he understood), so I'm sure he'll love it.

I'm not sure if this is a bug I hit, but at the very least it is quite misleading.

When the "mayor" guy says that he just needs for the maidens to be "in-tune", and you can hear the maidens singing... all I did was talk to the Mayor after spraying myself with the monster-attraction spray, and the game cut to a cutscene of mog chotra showing up and the maidens singing perfectly. Did the game skip past some steps?

ok, so, i think i may be missing something.

can someone explain the ending to me as if i'm 10? cause i finished shay's stuff first, and then i was thinking that the guy in the temple WAS shay after he f-ed up the ship and landed on this random planet.

so, the guy in the temple is NOT shay, the mog chothra is a 'ship'? although nothing of what we saw of the ship makes it look like mog chotra. then the ship/mog crashes, and they switch places? then what was that light at the end of shay's story? also, why did there seem to be something obviously wrong with the creatures they were picking up? one time, the creature seemed to rebel or something. was it like the 'girl' he was picking up was revolting? was that vella? i'm either missing something, either there are inconsistencies, or there are many questions left to be answered in the next part.

i'm just not exactly sure what the ending parts of both stories, and the ending, were supposed to tell me, the player.

can someone explain the ending to me as if i'm 10? cause i finished shay's stuff first, and then i was thinking that the guy in the temple WAS shay after he f-ed up the ship and landed on this random planet.

so, the guy in the temple is NOT shay, the mog chothra is a 'ship'? although nothing of what we saw of the ship makes it look like mog chotra. ten the ship/mog crashes, and they switch places? then what was that light at the end of shay's story? also, why did there seem to be something obviously wrong with the creatures they were picking up? one time, the creature seemed to rebel or something. was it like the 'girl' he was picking up was revolting? was that vella? i'm either missing something, either there are inconsistencies, or there are many questions left to be answered in the next part.

i'm just not exactly sure what the ending parts of both stories, and the ending, were supposed to tell me, the player.

Best shot. The creatures Shay was saving with the boom arms were the sacrificed maidens. The one that is grabbed and then lost was Vella. The ship is in some kind of disguise that makes it look like Mog Chothra and the boom arms like Chothras tentacles. This disguise isn't just a hologram, it seems more like parts it wears to hide the inside. Or possibly the space is a hologram and the whole ship is a separate object inside his body. The space outside the airlock is inside the mouth of Mog Chothra.

The light Shay sees is the laser fired at Mog Chothra. Since the moth was open, the laser coming through the opening comes toward him (as the airlock is a separate part deeper in than the mouth). The spaceman in the temple Vella talks to is probably not Shay, but someone else involved in Operation Dandelion who had his own ship that was a lot like Shay's since they both have that symbol. It is possible it is Shay via time travel. Mother knows about the idea of sacrifice girls, and may be one herself (converted into a ship's AI), or may simply be set programmed think she used to be a person). Marek is also manipulating Shay, just like mother was, and mothers fake missions may have all been to set Shay up for Marek.

When Shay wakes up from being knocked out by the attack on his ship (by the laser), he staggers around going through the mouth, and Vella staggers around too, going in through the mouth. Meaning Shay is now standing on the beach, and Vella is standing inside Chothra, just outside the airlock, with no space suit. So if there is a real spaceship at all (and the view of space isn't all fake just like Shay's other missions), she better get back inside soon before it goes back into space.

The ending leaves a lot of questions for act 2, so now we must all wait to find out. I hope I covered everything well enough.

so, the guy in the temple is NOT shay, the mog chothra is a 'ship'? although nothing of what we saw of the ship makes it look like mog chotra. then the ship/mog crashes, and they switch places? then what was that light at the end of shay's story? also, why did there seem to be something obviously wrong with the creatures they were picking up? one time, the creature seemed to rebel or something. was it like the 'girl' he was picking up was revolting? was that vella? i'm either missing something, either there are inconsistencies, or there are many questions left to be answered in the next part.

OK, this is my take. Anyone is free to correct me...

***SPOILERS AHOY!***

Dead Eye is actually Alex (who was the backer that got his likeness put in the game), who crashed on the planet 300 years prior. Shay's ship is inside Mog Chothra and the light at the end of Shay's story was the laser Dead Eye shot into Mog Chothra's mouth at Vella's command. The creatures were the maidens, and the rebelling one was Vella. As you may recall, there were three maiden feasts: Meriloft where there was one survivor (Shay left behind one of the "creatures"), Sugar Bunting (Where Shay tried to save them all but one got away when they were "attacked") and Shellmound (two were collected, and then there was a problem when he tried to get the third).

***SPOILERS OVER***

Edit: Oops, beaten to the punch!

Not going to lie - I was initially confused by the ending.

I played through Vella's part first, and when I beat Shay's story and the final cutscene played, my first thought was "but Shay couldn't breathe in space when I cut the air hose (before solving the whole puzzle), and could fly around as if he was in space."

So I guess the inside of the Mog is some airless low-gravity vacuum when its mouth is closed or something? Or were they actually in space in between Maiden Feasts? Yet Shay was still "floaty" when his ship got shot and his helmet came off - the Mog's mouth would've been open then, and in the planet's atmosphere.

If the Fusion Orb or the "ship's shield" (maybe a cloaking device to enable Mog mode?) were somehow linked to emulating space, then Shay still shouldn't have been able to float in the end game. I guess what confused me was everything in Shay's world acted like it was in space, but shouldn't have acted that way some of the time since he was really in the same world as Vella.

I really try not to overthink games too much, but the ending took me off-guard because of this. Otherwise, a lot of things clicked in the story for me in the final scene (when I got over "fake space"). The story turned out to be much more complex than what it first seemed to be - which is a huge plus for me! It definitely makes up for the generally easy puzzles. Also, I hope some of the scenes that didn't get much attention in Act 1 turn out to be more useful in Act 2. Among other things, I'm really hoping for a Cloud Colony revolution - it seemed weird that Vella didn't feel like sharing the ladder to the ground with the people who made it clear they didn't want to stay up there.

All in all, great job DF Team! I'm going to go make a nice stool to pass the time in preparation for Act 2.

hm. yes, sounds we there are a lot of unexplained things that need answers.

liked the episode, great moments (my favorite characters where probably the blind guards). but it did feel kind of thinly spread around. screens with only one use, characters, that you wanted to hear more from. the old lucas games had a density to them, because of budget and art constraints, but i feel that there's a lot of stuff, whilst also being not a lot of stuff. cause what's in the game is pretty rock solid, but you could 'feel' the financial limitations, i think. i just hope these characters get more in the second act, cause i DO wanna hear more about the lightbeard situation, the marek situation, etc.

Not going to lie - I was initially confused by the ending.

I played through Vella's part first, and when I beat Shay's story and the final cutscene played, my first thought was "but Shay couldn't breathe in space when I cut the air hose (before solving the whole puzzle), and could fly around as if he was in space."

So I guess the inside of the Mog is some airless low-gravity vacuum when its mouth is closed or something? Or were they actually in space in between Maiden Feasts? Yet Shay was still "floaty" when his ship got shot and his helmet came off - the Mog's mouth would've been open then, and in the planet's atmosphere.

If the Fusion Orb or the "ship's shield" (maybe a cloaking device to enable Mog mode?) were somehow linked to emulating space, then Shay still shouldn't have been able to float in the end game. I guess what confused me was everything in Shay's world acted like it was in space, but shouldn't have acted that way some of the time since he was really in the same world as Vella.

I really try not to overthink games too much, but the ending took me off-guard because of this.

My assumption was that it was simulated space. That's why you can't venture too far out, even after you cut the cord on your suit. There's a wall blocking your way. Gravity manipulation doesn't seem too farfetched for a game like this. My hunch is that Merek is just another layer of deception by the ship's AI, hence the mother's seemingly uncaring/casual response to questions about him.

liked the episode, great moments (my favorite characters where probably the blind guards). but it did feel kind of thinly spread around. screens with only one use, characters, that you wanted to hear more from. the old lucas games had a density to them, because of budget and art constraints, but i feel that there's a lot of stuff, whilst also being not a lot of stuff. cause what's in the game is pretty rock solid, but you could 'feel' the financial limitations, i think.

Yea, I know what you mean. Some areas only had a couple of hotspots, and since there's only one interaction button, there's generally only one response. I ended up using my entire inventory on just about everything, just to see some more responses - and I wasn't disappointed.

I love having tons of hotspots to check out - it really does wonders for immersion and game lore, or just to make opportunities for one-off jokes. I'm hoping for a little more interactivity in the next act.

I feel like voice acting really limits how many cool responses there could be, since each line sort of has a price tag on DF's end. Old adventure games were usually text-only, allowing those ridiculously huge branching dialogues like in Monkey Island.

Voice acting limitations link into puzzle simplicity - everything has to be straightforward and serve some purpose, or else they'd have to cage up voice actors for months doing thousands of lines of dialogue for every little thing. It's a shame, and a difficult reality that DF has to carefully balance finances with content. But I feel that the quality of the story makes up for most of these minor shortcomings, and there's still another act yet to be released.

It speaks to the quality and immersiveness of the game world that we all wish we could have spent more time there. :)

liked the episode, great moments (my favorite characters where probably the blind guards). but it did feel kind of thinly spread around. screens with only one use, characters, that you wanted to hear more from. the old lucas games had a density to them, because of budget and art constraints, but i feel that there's a lot of stuff, whilst also being not a lot of stuff. cause what's in the game is pretty rock solid, but you could 'feel' the financial limitations, i think.

Yea, I know what you mean. Some areas only had a couple of hotspots, and since there's only one interaction button, there's generally only one response. I ended up using my entire inventory on just about everything, just to see some more responses - and I wasn't disappointed.

I love having tons of hotspots to check out - it really does wonders for immersion and game lore, or just to make opportunities for one-off jokes. I'm hoping for a little more interactivity in the next act.

I feel like voice acting really limits how many cool responses there could be, since each line sort of has a price tag on DF's end. Old adventure games were usually text-only, allowing those ridiculously huge branching dialogues like in Monkey Island.

Voice acting limitations link into puzzle simplicity - everything has to be straightforward and serve some purpose, or else they'd have to cage up voice actors for months doing thousands of lines of dialogue for every little thing. It's a shame, and a difficult reality that DF has to carefully balance finances with content. But I feel that the quality of the story makes up for most of these minor shortcomings, and there's still another act yet to be released.

i think their production pipeline (that is in NO way built for adventure games at this point, unlike telltale) also bears a large portion of these budgetary limitations. but that's another thread altogether, so best not to sidetrack the discussion

I got through this game in 3h10m according to the save file. I thought the puzzles were a little simple, the only ones that took me more than a few minutes was putting the shoes on the ladder, and backtracking to get the fruit because I had given it to the lumberjack (as part of his detox diet). But I loved the story, and the environment, and the artwork, and the audio, and the writing. And even though the puzzles were easy, they still made me laugh.

Great ending too. I was convinced for a time that the guy in the spaceship (Alex?) was older Shay. Now I'm thinking he might be Shay's father, and one of the maidens from Steel Bunting might be Shay's mother. I don't have a theory on Merrick yet, but Merrick could be Shay's father in disguise... Shay's father is always creeping around the ship looking shifty.

The mother in Meriloft (Car'l?) had some great jokes, especially if you brought back some of the Shellmound stuff to her. For example giving her the lumberjack's art piece, Vella asks her if she wants to see some art and Car'l replies "So are you saying that what I do isn't art!".

The talking knife in Shay's story also had some great interactions with just about everything.

It speaks to the quality and immersiveness of the game world that we all wish we could have spent more time there. :)

and it's just a shame that there wasn't, and not in the 'i can't get enough of this' type of deal, but there just seems to not be enough in spots.

but yeah, overall i liked it.

... although, when i draw the line, i think i got more enjoyment out of the documentary than the game

I wasn't sure how I was feeling about the whole thing, I thought

###### SPOILERS!!!!!!!######

the blind god was Shay grown up, so I didn't see that sucker punch coming!

And then the pieces fell into place. The attacks on shay, the attacks made by Vella, the girls being abducted, the creatures being rescued...

Hat. Off. Sir :)

If Deadeye is a grown up Shay (or earlier "version" of him), could Marek be a grown up Vella (or earlier version of her)? I have no idea how it would work with timing… but we know that Marek is something in a wolf suit. Maybe Vella/Marek was helping Shay the same way Shay/Deadeye was helping Vella.

can I just say how impressed I was that they were able to get away with an eau de Hooker joke? and even the wooden seat joke was tasteful-ish.

Sign in to follow this