Sign in to follow this  
Koshiir

Great job with the ending, Tim! *spoilers*

I didn't get the twist until reading this thread, and that's because I thought it was going in a different direction that... actually could still be possible, come to think of it: Marek and the whole "save the creatures" thing were placed on the ship from the start, and were meant to be found by Shay when he got old enough. Collecting the girls was the real mission, but for what reason we don't know yet.

...Well, that second part's obvious. The first thing is something I haven't really seen mentioned yet.

I'm someone else who didn't completely get the twist at the end, which is kind of frustrating since I love plot twists!

I think the reason I didn't 'get' it was because there wasn't enough immediate, or apparent, evidence for me that the inside of Mog Chothra was the ship Shay was in during the game. I thought it was a different vessel that captured him at the end of his story and for some reason brought him to Vellas' planet. It's a shame since if the game continued for another few seconds I would have seen the inside of Mog better and pieced it together.

Maybe it's because I finished Shay's story completely before starting Vellas' and I forgot how his ended exactly.

Still, just my two cents. Game was still awesome!

First Post yay.

I REALLY didn't expected that ending, i was sure that the spaceship was not a spaceship but... nothing like that :o and it all has sense! The number of the girls you save, the attacks and so on :)

Finished in something like 4 hours (but many pauses for afk and bug reporting)

Very well done Tim and Double Fine!!

Can't wait Act 2!

There's also the small visual details: The myriad little bots going through their maintenance tasks in the background were wonderful, for example.

Oh my god, yes, THIS!

I LOVED the little hexagon robots. The one cleaning the windows killed me xD

It took me less than 4 hours. I really wish it was longer!

Not going to lie - I was initially confused by the ending.

I played through Vella's part first, and when I beat Shay's story and the final cutscene played, my first thought was "but Shay couldn't breathe in space when I cut the air hose (before solving the whole puzzle), and could fly around as if he was in space."

So I guess the inside of the Mog is some airless low-gravity vacuum when its mouth is closed or something? Or were they actually in space in between Maiden Feasts? Yet Shay was still "floaty" when his ship got shot and his helmet came off - the Mog's mouth would've been open then, and in the planet's atmosphere.

Cutting off the air hose made Shay lose consciousness because there was no air left inside the suit. And I don't remember him trying to take the helmet off before it came off accidentally in the end. So the whole belief in no air outside of the ship has been ingrained in Shay's mind by the mother. IMO, in reality, there is no vacuum.

The absence of gravity must have been simulated with the help of some quantum mechanics.

What I loved about this story was that even though I played through Vela's story first, I did not make the connection between 'saving the creatures' and the Mog collecting the maidens.

It really has blown my mind

Tim, you magnificent b....eautiful mind!

Thank you all of team Reds!

The ending came unexpected.

Can't wait for Act 2.

Not going to lie - I was initially confused by the ending.

I played through Vella's part first, and when I beat Shay's story and the final cutscene played, my first thought was "but Shay couldn't breathe in space when I cut the air hose (before solving the whole puzzle), and could fly around as if he was in space."

I think the answers to both questions are actually related and, perhaps, very easy to explain. Think where Mog Chotra comes from when he first appears. He emerges from under the water.

Under water Shay would have both had some sense of "low gravity" and he also would have been unable to breathe. I believe this may be the explanation.

I just finished it (I had to take a break! I already feel like I'm late to the party....) and man, I didn't get any of it at all until reading this topic. Didn't get the maidens/aliens connection at all. I feel dumb.

Old adventure gamer here. :-)

According to my savegames, the game took me 4h 20m to complete, but Steam clock displays 5.6hrs (beats me).

You should ramp up the difficulty for Part 2, Tim. ;-)

Anyway, that's probably one of the most original and personal adventure games I've ever played. Kudos to you and the team.

although nothing of what we saw of the ship makes it look like mog chotra.

Go into the room with Marek and check out the main screen windows.

I actually started thinking along the lines of the ending during the last documentary episodes because of those. While playing I was wondering if the creatures could actually be the maidens, but still don't understand why you had to leave one each time. The old "Shay" threw for a loop though, I actually abandoned my theory right then and there for temporal reasons. So, I actually I was still surprised by the ending, even though I had already "figured it out".

The two part structure does seem very natural now. Though Act 2 seems like it will be more interesting than Act 1, but then again the reason it will be more interesting is that we already know both of the worlds from Act 1.

I liked it, and steam tells me, I played for 6 hours, but even if I didn't, I still would have liked it a lot. I clicked almost everything and tried a lot just to see if they thought of it too and that is were you find a lot of humorous dialogue. There aren't as many hotspots as I would have expected and because I had no mouse-over-names I often clicked quite wildly without knowing what I was clicking on at first.

I played first through shays storyline and after I thought him dead I waited a looong time sitting on that tree to continue with vellas storyline (it seems to me now that it was the perfect order to play this game). I didn't see the ending coming, probably also because I separated the two stories completely.

Thanks for making that game Double fine. I guess it isn't a new monkey island or day of the tentacle but I think we all know, that those times are over because it's very hard to get back the childish eyes we had 20 years ago. But we can still enjoy such games, especially with great storylines and humour like this one and maybe they give the children and teens of today the same feelings we had 20 years ago with three headed monkeys behind us, our smiling navigation heads and our hamster.

Took me about 3-4 hours of light play as well - hopefully Act 2 is longer and harder, because I'd hate for this game to end so soon!

Broken Age is absolutely fantastic. Add me to the list of people who absolutely loved the ending. I initially thought the way in which Vella and Shays' stories connected was through time; that each of the stories take place hundreds of years from each other.

Now to add my theory to the mix:

Everyone seems to have forgotten that in the beginning of Vellas' story, she asks where the Mogs come from and is told they come from a "forbidden land" (sorry, forgot the name) where she must never go. This "forbidden land" is actually Shays' home; not a planet in the middle of space. The question is, what is the purpose of building these Mogs, sending them out to capture maidens and bringing them back to the "forbidden lands"?

My current theory is that the land in which Shay comes from is inhabited by a technologically advanced race of people, however these people have no way to reproduce or are infected with some kind of disease and are constantly on the verge of being wiped out. The only 2 humans we've seen from Shays' world are Alex and Shay himself; both males. Every person we've seen "sacrificed" have been female.

There is also the question of the origin of the Mother A.I. I propose the theory that she isn't an A.I. at all! There is yet one room to visit in Mog Chothra because the Mother is "preparing a surprise for Shay". What if she was actually one of the maidens who sacrificed herself in order to give birth to Shay, who in turn is "special" because he is the only way his race can procreate and thus survive?

So what is Project Dandelion? I believe it is nothing more than a desperate attempt to keep a dying race alive! There are certain people within the story who clearly know exactly what has been going on; Marek, Mother, old lady who organises the Sugar Bunting Maidens' Feast (forgot the name) and so on. As they say, this has been going on for hundreds of years - there is always a new 'Grand Mog' every 14 years - and yet in all that time Shays' race is still dying out. Let us also not forget that Sugar Bunting used to be called 'Steel Bunting' until the old lady arrived.

I still have one unanswered question though - what is wrong with 'Prima Doom' aka ShellMound? If we are to believe that the Maidens' Feasts have been going on for hundreds of years, surely the Mogs would have visited that location AFTER the 'Dead Eye God' "ship" crashed.

I'll keep adding to what I've come with further down the line. For now though, I'm absolutely happy with Broken Age thus far and I cannot wait until part 2 to finally get the answers to all these questions!

Now that I think about it, Vella is the one who attacks Shay in his space ship - as soon as he warps in, he is seen and under attack. In this way it seems as though Shay has been led into a path where he is collecting possible brides for himself unknowingly. It is perhaps what the Mom has planned for Shay - an arranged marriage with one of these maidens. It is perhaps Marek+Mom working together to make Shay think he is working on his own - both of them worked together to trick Shay into "saving" those "beasts".

Either way, I just got all excited again. Now I really wish this had been released as one package in April, but as long as Part 2 comes out on schedule, I think I'll be okay with the wait. Like I said, hopefully Act 2 is longer, harder, and more dense to deliver on the conclusion to this fun adventure that has been the Double Fine Adventure! (Hope this game does well enough to garner another adventure game from Tim.)

Just finished Act 1 & I was blown away at the ending :D I was not expecting that :P Amazing job Reds Team! Bring on Act 2!

Real happy with the game and very happy with how they ended episode one. Ahh if SW episode one could have been done this well.

Just finished, clocked in at 3 hours. Loved the game. Bit on the short side so far but just makes me look forward to part two all the more! It's really fascinating seeing how everything came together having watched all the documentaries. Two Player did a great job of being extremely informative without spoiling anything. Well done.

The puzzles were immaculately designed. I never got frustrated at a puzzle. Perhaps they could've been a bit harder but I think this is a good level since it makes it playable by practically anyone while still remaining enjoyable. Great job clocking in that difficulty guys. Only one thing really frustrated me: finding out how to knock Gus loose. Perhaps more emphasis on his "falling through the clouds" line would've helped but I kept trying to throw stuff at him till my third visit to the area when I reread his dialogue finally. The way the star map lined up to the scarf was the only other thing that was a bit tricky but not frustrating.

Story-wise I did Shay all at once, then Vella. I didn't see the plot twist coming at all. I fell for the red herring of the No Eyed God thinking he might be an older Shay. Still so many questions. I especially can't wait to follow up with Lightbeard. Was he the goose that lays the golden eggs? Or just sitting on one?! I'm curious to know how the history of Vella's world intertwines with Shay's. Before the arrival of Shay's ship, Sugar Bunting was an aggressive city "everyone was scared of." Some time before that the No Eyed God also appeared. Perhaps his ship was sent out to scout suitable worlds. Then, after his world died, Shay's "ark" ship was sent out to track him down. Or maybe they were trying to quell the fearsome Steel Buntonians? So many questions! Can't wait for part two!!!

Some more interaction between the two halves might've been nice but I imagine now that they've swapped environments, there will be some, if only indirect interacting. Also I bet there will be a bit of backtracking through the now wrecked and altered locales. This would be a great way to reuse some assets while putting a new spin on the levels, world, and more. Looking forward to it.

Took me around 4 hours, like many of the people in this thread. First time I've played through an adventure game without getting frustrated and consulting a walkthrough, lol. I think it was a combination of my enthusiasm and the "easy" (but good for my skill level, and still entertaining) puzzles. Game crashed on me a few times, but thank goodness for auto-save. I'll probably play it again sometime before Act 2 comes out, to catch some of the dialogue/plot points I missed. And to play through Vella's part first, and then Shay's (opposite of my first play through). Soooooooo excited for Act 2!

Did it in about 3 hours and 40 minutes and two sittings, and loved every minute of it. The art and music is beautiful, the story is totally original and very interesting (although slightly confusing at times, I still don't really know why I needed to lower the ship's shields). The ending in particular was great and I can't wait to see how it all plays out.

I thought Broken Age would be a funnier game, but it's OK, because it didn't have any bad jokes, it just had few jokes. I feel like Tim may be inspired a little bit by the inherent melancholy of games like Braid or Dear Esther, and it's awesome to see that kind of emotion incorporated in an adventure game that still feels like a true descendant of wacky games such as Day of the Tentacle. If anything, I hope Part 2 is even more emotive.

About the length; part of me feels like I rushed the game. I clicked just about every object and dialog option, took the time to soak in the artwork and music and everything, but I didn't try every possible combination of items or NPCs, nor did I backtrack to see if anything changed after certain events etc. (i.e. at Curtis' cabin I realized I could go back to Meriloft, but I only revisited the first screen with the baskets, didn't even talk to F'ther a second time and have no idea if my actions caused any other changes to the Cloud Colony or its characters).

In hindsight, after completing the game, I did feel a little sad about that (the ending was awesome though, so in truth I felt both sad and awesomified at the same time). I'd spent the last two years following the documentary, looking forward to the game. Being a dad with very little time to play games, I figured I'd at least spend the week working my way through Broken Age. Finishing it in two days and less than 4 hours was a bit anticlimactic. Then I thought a little about it, and it actually felt like a relief.

Here's the thing: I think Monkey 2 is the best adventure game ever. I played that for the first time around '95, which means I was about 12 years old at the time. I used months to beat that game. Months. I could spend days, weeks even, just being stuck, walking around, travelling from island to island looking for stuff to grab, new dialog options to try or areas I'd missed. I thought about the game all day at school.

Now, I didn't enjoy being stuck in Monkey 2. Being stuck sucks. But me being 12 years old, I had basically all the time in the world, a very limited selection of other games to play and a ridiculous amount of perseverance. So I stuck with it and worked at it daily for a very long time. Because the game was so difficult, I got to see every nook and cranny of it. I'm pretty sure I read every single book card in the Phatt Island library! Being stuck so much made me turn the game inside out – and fortunately, there was a lot of small gems to find off the beaten path. As for Broken Age, I don't really know if I came close to exhausting it or not. I was very briefly stuck in a couple of places, but both times I found the solution without having to backtrack.

I eventually beat Monkey Island 2 without a hint book or walkthrough, and it felt pretty great. But the real reason I remember it so fondly is because I was basically married to it for a long time – just because it was so difficult and huge. If Broken Age had been much more difficult, I would've probably cheated. I'm an adult now, I just don't have the time or patience any more to spend hours upon hours clicking pixels (I already do that all day at work). It's sad, but its true.

The trade-off in all this, comparing Broken Age to something like Monkey 2, is that there's not as much time to connect with the the game's characters or the game world. The game could be thrice the size, but for me, only significantly upping the difficulty would really solve that problem – only backtracking, trial and error makes for that old school feeling of a world you know to the point of almost hating it. Even with the modest size of part 1, there's so many screens/rooms that I only saw once, briefly. It almost makes me sad to think about the amount of hours and heart it took to paint those beautiful backgrounds, just so I could spend thirty seconds picking up an object and then leave. Truthfully, there might be more content there, but I wouldn't know. Any easter eggs or content off the beaten path goes undiscovered, for the most part.

I might be wrong, but given the emphasis the whole Broken Age project placed on nostalgia, I'm pretty sure I'm a fairly typical Broken Age backer – an adult who played lots of adventure games (and LucasArts games in particular) growing up, wanting to revisit that kind of gaming experience, but not really in that place anymore to handle the hours or the frustration of the adventure games of yore. So really, Broken Age is pretty perfect. It's focused, streamlined interactive storytelling.

Initially, I might've imagined I wanted a super challenging adventure game experience like I had when I was a kid. As it turns out, I really don't, I want a super enjoyable one. Broken Age pretty much nails that. I'm ok with the trade-off.

Can't wait for part 2!

Steam says I have 6 hours played, but I spent a lot of time AFK or alt-tabbed so I guess the actual time playing the game was much less.

I started with Vella and got her to the second town before switching to Shay and finishing his story. That Act I ending was unexpected and awesome. I had suspicions that something was up with playing Marek's UFO catcher game, though I still hadn't connected the dots 'till afterwards.

I agree with most of the voices saying that the puzzles felt simplistic, and perhaps some of the hints were a bit heavy handed. A bit more depth in some things would've been appreciated.. but overall I found it pretty satisfying and I'm eager for Act II.

Loved:

- The navigation scarf crochet puzzle

- Marek

- Vella's voice sometimes reminding me of Laverne

- Giving Wil Wheaton wood so he'd give me a freshly produced stool to make a talking tree puke sap into a bucket hat.

- This cool Backer shirt.

- I've been slack keeping up with the doco and forum chatter, so most of the game was fresh and surprising! Unexpected rewards for laziness!

I just finished it. Wow....that was really cool. The story had me hooked the whole way, and while the puzzles were relatively easy (it took me 5 hours, according to Steam), that didn't bother me. To be honest, I felt like it kept a good balance between focusing on the story and challenging your brain. Now, on the ending...I was sort of starting to work some stuff out, but it all really threw me for a loop. I loved it, it's the kind of ending that stays with you and keeps you thinking. The way it manages to make both kids' lives feel self-contained but unite them with subtle hints is just fabulous storytelling. Something tells me that Act 2 is going to really push the boundaries in terms of how alike these 2 characters really are. I can't wait to see where this goes.

I'll throw my tiny two cents into this collections of... two cents... two cents's?

I loved the ending! Jumped around a bit, finished Vella first, Shay shortly after that (making it about 4 hours total, including revisiting favourite scenes). The twist dawned on me at the perfect moment, and I actually thought "Why didn't I see it before?!", which is the ideal reaction to have, I suppose. I can't wait for Act 2, in which I hope to see the puzzles toughen up just a little. But this story, man. Mmm, so good!

This type of world, this type of Tim Schafer magic, is what made me want to step into the game industry in the first place. I'm having a lot of trouble with that, but this game really reminds me what I'm fighting for. I already had my money's worth with the documentary alone, but now I'm even more pleased. I think seeing the different team members throughout the documentary really adds a personal touch to the game -- you feel, more than usual, the amount of heart and soul that went into it. Congratulations to the entire team for produced this little jewel!

Just finished the game and wanted to find a place where I could gush about how great the ending was!! I totally didn't see it coming and had that delicious, excited, mouth hanging open thing that my very favourite entertainment can do to me sometimes.

Well done, worth the backing, wait and everything else.

I'm with Klink on the theory of Act 2. I found it interesting that a lot of people are taking Shay's assumptions at face-value wherein his parents are a computer and not real. I always assumed they were real and certainly after OverMother's sacrifice talk.

Why Prima-Doom/Shellmound is off limits? Maybe they realized the TroubleMaker Vella was there, or "Dead Eye" Alex. Actually, why leave a Maiden at Meriloft? What's the purpose of leaving behind maidens if you follow Marek's directions? And if the Maiden Feast is the ultimate goal of the training, why does Shay need Marek to initiate the plan? Seems like Shay would be happy to do a new mission outside of the regular stuff. Lastly, why a Mog? Why is this more desirable than just the old fashioned arranged marriage thing?

project dandelion, it implies that maybe shay is in one of many ships spread throughout the universe, maybe once project dandelion is complete they will move onto the next phase, project Sycamore where they build space bases ;)

- Vella's voice sometimes reminding me of Laverne

I thought I was the only one!!

Am I misremembering, or does Marek say that the wolf appearance is a disguise? Could it be his dad?

Sign in to follow this