Sign in to follow this  
Koshiir

Great job with the ending, Tim! *spoilers*

Liked the ending I did not see that coming. Great cliffhanger! Can't wait for the next act

I'll be honest, until I saw a post in here saying as much, I had made no connection that the creatures Shay was capturing was the girls. That is both an awesome and upsetting feeling to be feeling. I only started to suspect something was up with the Dead Eye god, and remained convinced that he is Shay. Now I just want to replay it and see all the things that match up. And also tell other people how I'm feeling, but can't for risk of spoilers.

Also - is it possible to get past the snake in this Act?

There's a snake to get by? I know Curtis says the snake is either to the East or the West, but I didn't see any time when that was an issue.

It wasn't an issue- yet.

I guess I more mean "when I could have made that choice", but in hindsight I assume I click to the left when I get to his mailbox. This alone really makes me wish I a) saved myself more frequently and b) there was some way to go back a scene.

Also - is it possible to get past the snake in this Act?

There's a snake to get by? I know Curtis says the snake is either to the East or the West, but I didn't see any time when that was an issue.

if you go left outside of curtis' house there is a snake

I loved the game. Maybe I just enjoy a good story with lovable characters, gorgeous art, and even more gorgeous music more than pulling hairs over tough puzzles. It's probably closer to something like Botanicula than Monkey Island in that regard. And since Botanicula is one of my all-time favorite games, that's not a bad thing in my book.

I'm not what you would call an old-school adventure gamer though, having only played the Monkey Island special editions recently. It's perfectly understandable that these gamers would want the tougher, more complex puzzles.

One thing we can probably all agree on is that Act II can't come soon enough. :)

The ending is pure genius, because it sets a great premise for Part 2. The inversion of roles (between Shay and Vella) is also an inversion of their universes.

What's the future of Vella's world now that Mog is dead? How will they react to Shay?

How will the Mom-Computer act now, with Vella inside?

Shay and Vella looked for a different life, and they got it. WHAT NOW? That's great.

#Spoiler Alert#

I finished the game in about 5 hours, in a single session, with only small breaks.

First I played through Shays part completely, too excited on what happens next to even consider switching to Vella. I did not make the connection between the two parts right until the end. For a short moment I thought that Shay could be Dead Eye, yet I abandoned this idea rather fast. Well, when I finally had that damn Mog shot down, and the characters change location, all the hints started to connect. It was already after midnight (how could I stop playing when the story is so thrilling?) and my mind had already slowed down quite a bit at that a late hour, so the realisation of the many links between the two perspectives was dripping only slowly into my consciousness, bit by bit. It was at least five minutes after that final scene that I fully realized that the pictograms of the creatures Shay rescued resembled the costumes of the maidens ;-)

Thanks, people at Double Fine, for that great first act! I really enjoyed it very much! The beautiful artwork, the thrilling story, the excellent voice acting, the epic music - it all worked together like the components of a rather complex machine that altogether just works perfectly. I'm really looking forward to the second act!

The game might seem a little bit short, but consider, that up to now it's approximately the first half. I've been counting scenes here and my rough estimation is, that it will in the end be comparable in size to Loom. The game was relatively easy (as was Loom, a long time ago ^^). I only got stuck once for a short period of time with the Riddle of Yorn (everyone who didn't yet: ask Curtis about it!), yet everything made sense, as soon as I saw the tree once more. For me, the difficulty nevertheless was OK, since the story needs a certain tempo to work, and making the game more difficult might slow the player down too much for the twist to have that jaw dropping effect.

Coming to wild speculation, I agree with Jay Tholen (Post 82) regarding the simulated space, and with android (Post 96) that there is no real vacuum "outside" the ship. I also came to the conclusion that Mother might be a life woman, just as Klink wrote in Post 105, yet to me it never appeared that she might in fact be his real, organic mother... I agree with FlamingFirewire (Post 106) that the maidens Shay abducted might be possible brides. (It's kind of frustrating to post so late, since nearly everything I wanted to say has been posted already...)

I also have thought about the, in my opinion, lower difficulty of Shays part compared Vellas part. Could this be another hint that all he experiences is actually set up for him? I mean, if Marek is part of the Mother-Ships game, Mother herself would not put obstacles in Shays way that he cannot solve rather easily.

@mmikkel: I think that "lowering the shields" translates to "opening the mouth".

I too smashed through it last night in the same manner you did soul source, but it was only today when I got back from a hectic time out that I realised Marek was making him "eat" those girls!! I had figured that Shay was linked to Mog pretty early on but I certainly didn't think he was inside it. Which for me raises some awesome thoughts: Alex sounds like he had suffered the same fate as Shay, yet had no idea what Mog was (as he helped Vella "kill" it). Also Marek is even more enigmatic to me now - if he wanted the girls why didn't he just do it himself? The old lady at the beginning of Vellas story said that Mog Chothra had come from a long line of Mogs, meaning this situation with someone like Marek has happened multiple times before, or am I missing something here?

I haven't played a game where I've not been able to easily guess how it all wraps up in a long time. Great writing! Great game!

In thinking on it more, I'm having some trouble with the creatures in Shay's story being the maidens. In the last instance of creature grabbing (with the help of Gary), he picks up 3 creatures and 1 "escapes". Did I miss a maiden in Shellmound? Or am I failing my basic counting skills?

I realized the connection when the wolf repeated "we need to save these innocent people" with a strong emphasis like for a tenth time :D. But honestly, at first I suspected that we are searching for some evil creatures ready to conquer another world and it took me a time to realize that the 4th angry fluffy thingie on the hunting screen was Vella instead of an older incident.

Nicely done. I wonder what Double Fine has up their sleeve for the second act.

In thinking on it more, I'm having some trouble with the creatures in Shay's story being the maidens. In the last instance of creature grabbing (with the help of Gary), he picks up 3 creatures and 1 "escapes". Did I miss a maiden in Shellmound? Or am I failing my basic counting skills?

I was going to reply the one who escapes is Vella and that the two stories are happening simultaneously, but I see what you mean. The final game you play should be the one that relates to Shellmound, but in Shellmound there are only 2 sacrifice girls + Vella. Yet I am 90% sure that they were maidens being captured now. Hmmmm.

@ChrisReeve

Since Marek forces Shay to choose which girls to abduct or leave behind, I think Marek doesn't want the girls for himself, but for Shay.

Regarding Alex, I can only speculate. At the moment I think that in his case it really was a spaceship that didn't get far, just across the plague dam instead of outer space. The seemingly real search beam could be a hint at this.

Why the whole abduction of maidens thing is going on for a long time, my guess is as good as anyone elses. Some keywords describing the yet unordered thoughts going around in my head are: plague dam, immunity, sex imbalance, babies brought up in quarantine, breeding program.

Well, if we're to take Alex's comments at face value - that he has been there for 300 years, etc, because his planet was dying and they were looking for a new home. They may have had this idea in the past, but the mission failed and they decided on another course of action. Perhaps others are there, where Shay and Alex are from, and in order to preserve their society, they created an elaborate scheme to abduct girls from the local villages to bring back each time a boy is born. I'm not sure why so many maidens would be needed or why there is one boy every 14 years etc. Perhaps the whole thing is some kind of leftover computer system following an old order to preserve the race (though that is pure speculation, and clearly Marek is somebody).

After X many years, the villages gave up fighting, unable to 'defeat' the ship-monster of their own devices. Though perhaps the ship has also been able to identify real danger and flee before being disabled in the past. (And maybe Vella's grandmother was from that other society and convinced them to go along with the sacrifice ceremony to prevent conflict, though I'm not sure about that.)

Okay, that's enough wild speculation for now.

Loved it. Absolutely cant wait for more :)

This is shaping up to be a really great game.

I figured out the twist halfway through Vella's part. It was a moment when I stopped and thought to myself, "wait, what if Shay's spaceship is actually the monster?"

When I found the 'dead eye god' I figured that he was Shay and the two stories were actually playing one after the other, was a bit disappointed by that, but it was a cool twist. Honestly I think that'd be a better twist than the one in the game, if not for the cool implications of what you do on the ship that impacts Vella.

It was strange how she lashed out at Shay at the end... Vella in general was a very weak character, I wish she was to be replaced in Act II. I liked Shay, I guess, was hoping for an ensemble cast of four characters, two new ones in Act II, but looks like we'll get the two fairly stock-ish protagonists again. Though their voice actors as with the rest of the game, are sublime.

The ending was nice enough, but playing through Vella the first time without touching Shay, it repeated itself over again while skipping all of the dialogue, for some reason? Not sure why. And then Shay's part barely lasted any length at all. It was jarring, and I hope Act II is more consistent.

I'm only a slacker backer so I can't complain. I loved the game's art and characters especially in Vella's part, my cat and I enjoyed watching the backgrounds on standby for quite some time. Here's a list of the best characters: Jack Black, granny, grandpa, the mayor, all of the maidens though especially the fish ones, the bodyguards, the tree, the hipster lumberjack... nevermind it's everyone. That includes the blow-up doll.

What made the penny drop (insofar as Shay's vessel = inside/part of Mog) for me happened quite early as Vella looked at Mog's eyes during the first feast and said something along the lines of "they look armored". Not sure whether keeping that particular line in the final version of the game is crucial as - although it certainly works in the narrative as an early hint - it might spoil the twist too early for some players.

The ending was GREAT! As the whole Act 1.

I played Shay first, then Vella without switching. In my head there was things that Vella could be Mother computer, or Shay could be Dead Eye God. But this?! Never :)

The absence of gravity must have been simulated with the help of some quantum mechanics.

nope. the fluffy supersafe spacesuit is fluffy for a reason you see - filled with helium.

edit: also can I add something that I havent seen mentioned here, but must have been somewhere since its obvious, is what a nice touch it is that the mouth closes like the curtain of a play, vertically, as a close to the first act - and between their two worlds again. it a perfect division and I cant believe it wasnt planned like this from the start! in fact its a little strange they dont use the word "act" instead of "part" to fit the visual.

The absence of gravity must have been simulated with the help of some quantum mechanics.

nope. the fluffy supersafe spacesuit is fluffy for a reason you see - filled with helium.

That sounds a bit lo-fi for a civilization that can afford teleporters... but I'll concede that it's more practical than quantum physics :D

That sounds a bit lo-fi for a civilization that can afford teleporters... but I'll concede that it's more practical than quantum physics :D

thats true. I guess they have control over gravity what with making that whole monstership hover and stuff.

By the way, for those willing to search veeeeery carefully through the documentary, there is a fairly significant plot bomb dropped which makes the ending even more interesting.

Superb twist, I didn't expect it at all and was just awesome.

What a fantastic game so far, well done Tim and the whole Double Fine team.

I can't wait for the second part!

I alternated between the two, but got to the ending with Shay first. The plot twist did catch me by surprise and everything clicked quite well. Still, I may be mistaken, but isn't there a big discrepancy in the time between the visits to Merriloft and Sugar Bunting? According to Vella's story there was a gap of one day, but in Shay's spaceship they happened in the same night. Actually, they were only separated by the time it took for Shay to get the map to the Space Weaver. It's a bit of a bummer, maybe they could change that section so as to introduce another day-night cycle in between? I'm thinking the folks at DF are not planning to make such deep changes to Act 1 anymore, though...

Took me all afternoon to finish this game and wow I am amazed.

I playded as Shay first without switching and kinda supected all of this to be *not in space* though I first suspected the whole Marek thing to just

be another fake adventure from Mother suited for teens rather than the kiddy stuff you went through first.

Vella's story by itself had more impact to me as I could feel the senselessness of her sacrifice and the cheerfulness of the Feast made me sick (good playing with my emotions there)

I think this whole Maidens Feast thing is orchastrated by Mother for *breeding* a new child-Inhabitant after the original Shay/Alex put himself in criogenic sleep. Every Marek would be an adult predecessor (hence the costume) to keep Mog Chothra from going beserk while keeping *Shay* safe from being among an unsafe unknown culture of Vella's world.

Off course I hope for act 2 to be more surprising and suspenseful. Worldbuiding is done, time to develop the characters.

By the way, for those willing to search veeeeery carefully through the documentary, there is a fairly significant plot bomb dropped which makes the ending even more interesting.
Any chance I can have a hint? I just played a game with puzzles, don't need another one right now. ;-p

Zonr_0: wow, thanks for that incentive to go back to listen to the old episodes...Ive not gone through all of them but theres one thing that seemed like it could be what youre talking about. is it the spaceweaver drifting alone "across the warp of time"...? which would suggest that somethings up with the timeline?

also another thing I noticed that slid me by before was lee petty referring to grandma as a witch.

edit: uuh. apparently shes always obviously been a witch in animatics and stuff...thought that mightve been something secret.

edit2: aaand didnt realize that that spaceweaver line was the feedback when you try to use gary on him. damn

Any chance I can have a hint? I just played a game with puzzles, don't need another one right now. ;-p

Ok... here's your hint... it's just one word. Testicles.

Didn't see the ending coming. I alternated between Shay and Vella, but finished Shay first while Vella was in Meriloft. I made a couple of theories as the game went on:

1) Story of Vella happened long before Shay's time. I think this was planted through the conversation with the "Mother".

2) Dead Eye is Shay. I am sure lots of people will be making this connection.

The plot twist was brilliant in the end. It must have been really hard for the design team to balance the two halves like this. It was a great A-ha moment when you start connecting the dots. I will play the game again to go through Vella's story first and then Shay's to see the final cut scene from the other perspective.

Thank you Tim and Double Fine for making this game. It was fantastic. I hate being stuck in the puzzles, and here I spent 4 to 5 hours without being overly frustrated. Can't wait for Act 2.

Sign in to follow this