Sign in to follow this  
Koshiir

Great job with the ending, Tim! *spoilers*

Yeah, Dead Eye is a total red herring. My gut says he used to be another Mog Chothra pilot.

i want to hear more from shay's Dad, i am hoping he is maybe a bit like the dad in Cloudy with a chance of meatballs and he has a hard time communicating with his son

3e28d30240898d215cf1480e604500b5.jpg

Well, I'm glad most of you didn't see the ending coming. Phew! That's a huge relief! I was sure that someone would see some spoiler in one corner of one frame of the documentary and the jig would be up!

There was actually one person on the forum, in one of the doc episode threads I think, who guessed the whole thing and called it out in a small, maybe one-sentence post. When we saw that, we thought about deleting the post, but we realized that would draw even more attention to it. So we just let it ride, and amazingly, nobody replied to that person's suggestion. I wonder if he or she even found out they were right! :)

Anyway, thanks to you all for playing and backing! And thanks for keeping a lid on it so that the ending isn't spoiled for all the mere mortals who are getting it next week!

There was actually one person on the forum, in one of the doc episode threads I think, who guessed the whole thing and called it out in a small, maybe one-sentence post. When we saw that, we thought about deleting the post, but we realized that would draw even more attention to it. So we just let it ride, and amazingly, nobody replied to that person's suggestion. I wonder if he or she even found out they were right! :)

I do remember that post. Judging from Bent's post history I think he's still playing the game. I thought it was an interesting suggestion as I had already noticed some similar hexagon shapes in the concept art generated during the art jam in episode 4. But in the end I thought it was a too crazy idea, even for a Tim Schafer game.

When playing Shay's story after Vella's this idea popped back into my head, seeing the similarities between the boom arm mini game and the tentacles. I totally didn't see the character switch coming, though. That was such a brilliant idea and made act 1 really a coherent experience.

Great twist ending. I can't wait to see how you capitalize on it in the rest of the game!

Found the post: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/7456/P25/#235584

Hilarious :D

Wait, Vella is a human-shaped arrangement of kittens??

I actually remembered that post. I don't even know if he was serious, but I had a "Wait, what if that guy (I had forgotten his name) was actually right?" about 2 minutes before I reached the reveal.
I too remember that post. I think I shrugged it off because of the suggestion Shay is a robot and Vella being a pile of kittens.

Found the post: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/7456/P25/#235584

Hilarious :D

Wait, Vella is a human-shaped arrangement of kittens??

I actually remembered that post. I don't even know if he was serious, but I had a "Wait, what if that guy (I had forgotten his name) was actually right?" about 2 minutes before I reached the reveal.
I too remember that post. I think I shrugged it off because of the suggestion Shay is a robot and Vella being a pile of kittens.

I remember it now I read it. To me it just didn't stand out amid all the other speculation. Of course, if I'd remembered it while playing the game itself, it would have started to make sense!

Yeah, the ending was nicely done. I was curious how they were going to wrap up the "act", considering that the game was not originally supposed to be split into acts, but the way they did it was very nicely done. The idea to have the end screen be an inverse of the open screen? GENIUSSSSS! Nailed it.

Well, I'm glad most of you didn't see the ending coming. Phew! That's a huge relief! I was sure that someone would see some spoiler in one corner of one frame of the documentary and the jig would be up!

Anyway, thanks to you all for playing and backing! And thanks for keeping a lid on it so that the ending isn't spoiled for all the mere mortals who are getting it next week!

Just finish Act 1 and up to the very finish i was not decided how i felt about BA....... but the twist in the end won me over !!

Great work DF cant wait for Act 2.

Keep the good work !!!

PS. Yes is a bit short, but its only half the game so with Act2 duration will be very good. Puzzles could be a bit harder.

I think I had the same expression as Shay and Vella all through that ending. Man. MAAAN.
Were you the one, who a very long time ago speculated that Shay's ship was the monster threatening Vella's village? Or was that someone else? At the time I thought they were just throwing darts at a board, but daaaaaaammmmnnn......

Maybe Shay's ship wasn't the monster threatening the village. MAYBE Vella was on a holodeck inside the ship and the explosion broke the holodeck door! And...uh...

OK this theory is sounding a little weak now :)

**SPOILERS**

Since I played Shay initially, I was already blown away about the implication that Mom might actually formed from Vella's memories since she claimed she was the girl in the story. But when I switched back to Vella, we eventually enter the Dead Eye God's "temple"...with a very distinct love for hexagon panels!

So many possibilities, plus the whole 14 year cycle of monsters. Cloning? Some sort of a tragic cycle? Is the Dead Eye God another Shay? SO MANY QUESTIONS.

In other words, an amazing, amazing game.

I did see coming that the space ship was the monster once I saw all the saved creatures in quarantaine and remembered how much the catching mechanism looked like the way the monster caught the girls.

But what I did totally *not* see coming is that Shay would be locked out into Vella's world, and Vella inside Shay's world.

This is so totally utterly brilliant!!!

Can't wait for Act II!

And I love all the speculation about who Alex and Marek are.

And why the girls are kept in quarantaine!

It surprised me so much that it actually took me a few minutes AFTER the ending to realize what I had just saw. Yes, in hindsight, all clues are there, and I suppose there is a particular sequence of switches between Shae and Vella that makes it more obvious, but for me it worked flawlessly. Great job indeed!

New Marek speculation: he is from Little Red Riding Hood and has brought his business to a new level. He has blackmailed Vella's grandmother to keep sending young maidens, otherwise he would eat her.

I'm not sure yet how Shay and Alex fit in this, but it's no accident that there is also a lumberjack hanging around...

it's no accident that there is also a lumberjack hanging around...

thats a cool idea... I thought that was a hunter though, in little red riding hood?

The ending was a surprise to me, too. But in hindsight it was so obvious. Great job.

Reporting in:

Didn't see it coming. Felt pretty knocked out from behind as the twist came. Veeeeeryyyy niiiiiice!

Sign in to follow this