Sign in to follow this  
chapmanb

4 Hours to Complete Act 1... really?!

I haven't finished it yet. But the thing that millions bought us was if nothing else the engine. They built a brand new engine to make these games easier to make. It is entirely possible that we'll see more of these games after Broken Age finishes.

As for the game itself, it's beautiful and not ridiculously difficult but at the same time not so simple its boring. Loving it.

Not sure where you came up with them creating an engine...

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/169585/Double_Fines_Kickstarterfunded_adventure_game_to_use_the_Luabased_Moai_platform.php

Too short in my opinion. :(

I really loved the graphics, animation, score... it is really top notch. Unfortunately the amount of polish probably made the game too short. I was expecting a long game, like Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle (or is my memory tricking me, making me feel those games were longer?)

Maybe the problem is the two act thing. Maybe if it was a whole game my perception would be different.

Still, I am really glad I backed it (the documentaries were already worth the money), but I did expected a longer adventure...

To add a little parity. Revolution managed to pack 20 hours (assuming the 2nd half is as long as the first) into BS5 on only $771,560.

I've not played BA yet but I was hoping for a bit more than 4 hours considering the amount of money they raised.

I really loved the graphics, animation, score... it is really top notch. Unfortunately the amount of polish probably made the game too short. I was expecting a long game, like Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle (or is my memory tricking me, making me feel those games were longer?)

Maybe the problem is the two act thing. Maybe if it was a whole game my perception would be different.

Still, I am really glad I backed it (the documentaries were already worth the money), but I did expected a longer adventure...

I remember Monkey taking me 25+ hours. Still worth the money, but I agree with everything you said.

Equating money spent developing a game with the hours a player gets out of it is a terrible metric. Furthermore, equating length of a game with quality is even worse. I found the pacing of the game to be excellent. At no point was I feeling that something was dragging on. I would have enjoyed some harder puzzles, but I know there are trade-offs associated with that.

I haven't finished it yet. But the thing that millions bought us was if nothing else the engine. They built a brand new engine to make these games easier to make. It is entirely possible that we'll see more of these games after Broken Age finishes.

As for the game itself, it's beautiful and not ridiculously difficult but at the same time not so simple its boring. Loving it.

Not sure where you came up with them creating an engine...

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/169585/Double_Fines_Kickstarterfunded_adventure_game_to_use_the_Luabased_Moai_platform.php

That article says nothing of an engine. Sounds more like their choice of IDE than engine.

Equating money spent developing a game with the hours a player gets out of it is a terrible metric. Furthermore, equating length of a game with quality is even worse. I found the pacing of the game to be excellent. At no point was I feeling that something was dragging on. I would have enjoyed some harder puzzles, but I know there are trade-offs associated with that.

No it's not. If Revolution could produce a quality game with all hand drawn graphics like BA but give us 20 hours of good gameplay all for under a Mill why couldn't DF of done more with 3 Mill?

My first exposure to monkey island was a pc gamer 'classics' disc. Probably the best pc gamer magazine purchase I ever made (it also exposed me to xcom, ultima, wing commander, and king's quest).

Anyway, I don't recall it taking me very long to beat, probably 8-10 hours, but was it ever enjoyable!

On topic, I don't think 8 hours for a 1 million dollar game is bad. 1 Million dollars is actually pretty small game budget wise. Psycho nauts took me between 12-15 hours and it's budget was significantly larger.

No it's not. If Revolution could produce a quality game with all hand drawn graphics like BA but give us 20 hours of good gameplay all for under a Mill why couldn't DF of done more with 3 Mill?

No, they didn't:

http://www.howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=15177

I think the idea that more money should equal more gameplay hours is ridiculous. Money should be spent on making the game be the experience that the developer wants it to be. Personally, I honestly don't think I would have enjoyed 20 hours of BA Act 1.

Look at how short Journey is and how many financial troubles they went through. I imagine the development process involved more cutting out chaff than anything else. Yet, the game turned out fantastic.

The 2 stories of broken age is not connected but still good
Is this a question or statement? (Not actually sure, given the threads context.)

Grammar Police! 'Are' not connected, and yes. Yes they are. Play until the end.

Lots of the people here speak English as a second language. Imagine trying to participate in a web forum in Chinese, and someone pointing out the mistakes you made every time you made one.

It's funny that so many people still think that Broken Age has a big budget.

It doesn't. It has a small budget. Big for a Kickstarter, small by any other standards.

Looking at Revolution's back-catalogue, it seems like Adventure games are all they make. I daresay their process is entirely streamlined at this point, with staff, tools, resources and workflows all entirely optimized towards making those kinds of games efficiently. We all know that isn't the case with Double Fine.

I've got four hours logged with Part 1 of Broken Age, and if I get eight total from the finished game, it'll be easily as long as dozens of other multi-million dollar titles I've played.

Just remember, friends...

It's not the length that matters...

It's the girth.

Just finished it. 4 hours too, according to Steam.

I really enjoyed it, the story is obviously the strong point here, but i was dissapointed to see so little and easy puzzles.

The puzzle function is not only to entertain and make a game a "game", but also puzzles get you more immerse with the story, locations and characters.

It felt like i spend very little time with each character, locations were empty and with little interactions, in short i saw a lot of wasted potential.

At least the story is great, and there is still half a game to play. But by Rumplestiltskin's name, don't be afraid to step up the difficulty! Go crazy, monkey-wrench style if you have to, at this point i would welcome anything to shake up things a little bit.

In all seriousness, thanks for a beautiful first part!

I think it's a combination of the act thing and a real sensation of "fast pace" stemming from the relative simplicity and straightforwardness of the puzzles.

but note that the genius of DOTT was that it didn't have many locations - it basically had ONE HOUSE in 3 different points in time, with a dozen or so small rooms (which probably made the art process much easier) -

IMHO - the only reason it was longer was not that it had "more content" (i'm not sure that in the grand scheme of things - after part 2 is released, that would be true), but simply that the puzzles were more intricate and complex, forcing you to sometimes combine 3~4 items in a single puzzle in a non-trivial way and in multiple steps. Also, several items had multiple uses. Some had uses in SEVERAL of the time-periods!

The number of combinations in DOTT is probably several orders of magnitudes higher than Broken Age.. I think that at certain points you could have up to 30 items or more in your inventory IN EACH CHARACTER, rendering any "brutce force" solution impractical and virtually impossibe (i.e - it was very RARE that you could solve a puzzle there by ACCIDENT or without even spending SOME time on it beforehand).

In broken age I think the maximum number of items you can have at a certain point is about 6 or 7...

So, that's why I said that just by adding 4~5 items to each POV, they could have really made the game longer (by 1~3 hours maybe?) and more difficult. Of course that to make this addition EVEN BETTER it was preferable if they had assigned unique and specific character comments and dialogue options for each of the item-target or item-character or item-item combinations, but that's not entirely a MUST, since in most cases a generic comment would work just fine.

Another thing which made some of the puzzles much easier was the hints (how to drop the train, location of Gus, components of the space-suit) etc. At times I felt the hints were a TAD too explicit. Also, I felt that they are too readily supplied (i.e - right away, before you even have a chance to scratch your head a little). It would have been better if the hints would only be activated after either a certain amount of time (once a puzzle is "initiated") or after attempting several things and failing.

Steam says it took me 4 hours to complete the game. Which is completely okay with me. Now that I'm older, I don't have all day to play games anymore, and I really appreciate games that don't overstay their welcome. I guess the second part will take roughly another 4 hours, which is perfect for me. I'd rather games end on a high note, while I still love them (e.g. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds), than start strong and slowly get boring and fade out (e.g. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon).

I'd also like to note that Broken Age is actually much bigger than many of the longer games others have mentioned. There are a ton of locations in Broken Age that you don't spend a lot of time in. Other adventure games, on the other hand, have you stay in the same location for a long time, and repeatedly come back to the same locations. I'm not 100% sure which style I prefer, but I think it's worth noting that play-length and size are not the same thing. Broken Age is huge for an adventure game.

Personally, I love the story, love the characters, and the graphics and music are simply amazing, especially considering the small budget. I think this will be one of the adventure games that will be remembered in the future, and not just for its unique origin story.

The one criticism I agree with is that the items are a bit too streamlined. Every item you pick up, you'll have to use. This destroys a bit of verisimilitude. Adventure games that allow you to find items that you don't have to use feel much more as if they were taking place in a real world, where things are going on that aren't directly connected to the story you're currently experiencing. So apart from making the puzzles a bit too easy, the lack of items also harms world building.

I'd also like to note that Broken Age is actually much bigger than many of the longer games others have mentioned. There are a ton of locations in Broken Age that you don't spend a lot of time in. Other adventure games, on the other hand, have you stay in the same location for a long time, and repeatedly come back to the same locations. I'm not 100% sure which style I prefer, but I think it's worth noting that play-length and size are not the same thing. Broken Age is huge for an adventure game.

That's not necessarily an advantage, in my eyes. Spending more time in each location is actually a GOOD thing (up to a point, of obviously) - since it causes you to be more immersed in the scenery, the music, the atmosphere, etc.

The reason I remember the different locations and parts of Monkey Island or DOTT up to this day IS EXACTLY the fact that I had to spend so much time in each of the areas and take so much of those areas "in" to my head, with all their different characters, music, graphics, etc. They are all deeply engraved in my brain.

Take for example Vella's town. I basically spent like 5 minutes there (not counting the maiden ceremony itself). I tried to take as much of it in as I could, but I'd have LOVED it if I could explore that town a bit more... talk to some more people, walk around, understand her world a bit better... maybe even solve a mini-quest or two.

Same thing about Shellmound: you basically have ONE glimpse of the EDGE of it... What kind of town is it? How does it differ from Sugar Bunting, etc? No one knows... all you meet is 2 maidens and a mayor-candidate...

I think I'd have actually preferred her part of story to consist of only 2 large regions rather than ~4 small ones.

The one criticism I agree with is that the items are a bit too streamlined. Every item you pick up, you'll have to use. This destroys a bit of verisimilitude. Adventure games that allow you to find items that you don't have to use feel much more as if they were taking place in a real world, where things are going on that aren't directly connected to the story you're currently experiencing. So apart from making the puzzles a bit too easy, the lack of items also harms world building.

Again, they could have some ultimate use, but as long as they're useless for MOST of the game, they can serve the same purpose as "useless" ones.

For example, imagine that instead of the bucket being on the mayor-candidate's head, you had taken it from Vella's house... thus - for the entirety of Meriloft + Lumberjack's house you'd have had a useless bucket.

If - in addition to that - it had APPEARED as if it COULD have some use in Meriloft, that would have been even better - as it would have led you to believe it DOES have some part in the solution to a puzzle there (while in fact it doesn't).

and that's just one example...

I finished the game and I have come to a conclusion ...

This game is disappointing and the reason is simple:

Why spend money and time to think about the graphics and the dubbing, this are thing I don't care in a graphic adventure.

You should spend the money to the history, the length of the game and puzzles (are too easy).

Most of us who gave you the money are old graphic adventures players, and you had to know what were the things that really matter to us.

I'm sorry but I can not be content with this and neither should you ...

I really hope the second act will change my opinion.

Thanks for telling me how content I should be.

:roll:

Really happy with the first act, steam tells me I had the game open for 9 hours!

Just the 2PP video content alone was worth my buy-in but to get a game on-top of it as well, as polished as it is! I'm impressed :D

I agree that some of the puzzles were a little mundane, and the ones I did get stuck on were simple red-herrings.

But there haven't been adventure games out in the market for some years, and this one is probably focused towards a younger audience who don't have that wealth of experience.

Overall, terrific effort - Congratulations and thank you double fine!

But there haven't been adventure games out in the market for some years, and this one is probably focused towards a younger audience who don't have that wealth of experience.

I disagree. And if you are correct I am seriously disappointed.

I don't think the "younger audience" you are referring to would have been backing millions of dollars for a genre they never played. Those of us who backed enjoy adventure games. Now, that being said, if this game was indeed focused towards a younger audience, then why even tempt long time adventure game fans with an "adventure game"?

Side note: Steam will tell you how long the game has been open for. If you go into "Load Game" it will tell you how long your game was played. I played through twice. The first time was when I took my time and went through the majority of dialogue trees completely (For instance, I read every cereal box, very amusing) and my time was just over 1 hour 45 minutes.

When I played through again, my goal was to make sure there wasn't any "side-quest" or similar that I had skipped over which caused me to miss a section of the game. Sadly there was not.

I did realize until the second time through that you can have a conversation with Gus. The first time through I accidentally fell on him before ever having a chance to talk to him. I thought for the longest time I would be giving him the oversized cloud shoes, but I never found him?! Not until the second time through at least.

I finished act I and have mixed feelings about it. Things I love about it: Music, Voice Acting, atmosphere, graphics quality. Act I is obviously made with a lot of attention to details and that's great ofcourse. The story itself is promising and i cannot judge it because I've only seen part of it. But gameplay is, well.... very simple and straight forward. Almost childish in my opinion.

I think children will love this game. Both because of the artwork, the nice soft music and the loving atmosphere. But maybe that's all just part of the plan. Maybe act II is totally dark. Who knows? I miss some more complex puzzles, or just silly puzzles where you can laugh about the creative solution. I didn't laugh a lot in this game and missed some funny dialoges. But hey... this game stands on its own, with it's own atmposphere and it is to early to give a judgement about it.

I think the best way to go is not to judge this game too early and don't compare it to much (with monkey island, etc.) Those games stand on their own too. Maybe Broken Age will become a cult classic. Who knows? It is quite different than other games. So... congratuliations to double fine! And i'm looking forward to act II. Respect to Tim Schafer and rest of the team, it must be a burden with so many backers with so much expectation and at the same time following your own intuition and creativity. Making decisions, phew... glad I didn't have to. So deep respect to you guys!!

I think children will love this game. Both because of the artwork, the nice soft music and the loving atmosphere.

This seems slightly crazy to me :-)

I didn't notice any loving atmosphere in the game. One storyline is about a family trying to murder their daughter by feeding her to a monster. The other is about a kid who's imprisoned in a space ship by a Stepford wife AI. Most of the characters in the game seem quite insane. I thought the game was rather disturbing, particularly after the ending reframed Shay's storyline.

Don't get me wrong, none of these are criticisms. I loved it. But I felt it was quite a mature game. It covers a lot of adult subjects, like the fear of losing your children. There are also some dialogs in the game which are probably not aimed at children.

But I felt it was quite a mature game. It covers a lot of adult subjects, like the fear of losing your children. There are also some dialogs in the game which are probably not aimed at children.

Yes, you're right about the adult subjects. I know it's not aimed at children. But what you see (and hear) are two children in a childlike fantasy environment. So it would be no wonder,

if children see this game, they will be interested in it. Ofcourse they will. They will not understand the deeper meaning of it but they will absolutely like to play with these characters. And that's great!

According to the game I have spent 7 hours on it. However, that was with at least 2 hours with the game on but I was away. I have spent another few hours on it on my friend's account. The game is quite replayable the way it's set up now, and it's very entertaining. Not to mention, that this is just HALF of the game, and Act 2 will be out later this year. With the reception Act 1 is getting, I'd imagine Double Fine will have plenty of funds to complete the game as they see fit.

Now that the pipelines are done and production is at a high, Act 2 should be a lot quicker to develop.

OKAY.gif

:D

I really enjoyed the puzzles. Just the right flavor of pondering, without the hours wondering what a silly solution might be.

Just a data point: Broken Age Act 1 took me three hours flat to beat. I wasn't rushing and did get a little stuck a couple of times in Vella's segment (Shay's was a breeze).