Sign in to follow this  
tiffuts

Last Movie you watched...

As for the more mature aspects... there's some surprisingly bloody moments - one man has his throat disintegrate and there's a couple of rather nasty headshots (as in 'bullet hole in the forehead and rest mist behind them' nasty) - and the language is pretty foul throughout, so bear that in mind.

Damn. Now I have to see it.

How was Jason Statham? He's my man crush.

He's the reason for most of the laugh-out-loud moments. Dude’s hilariously over-the-top. He just seems to appear, be awesome and then vanish. Brilliant.

In the Name of the King:

It lacks characterization.

It has zero plot at all.

All in all, it's just another film by Uwe Boll.

Jurassic World

It may not be as good or as legendary as the original, but by God it comes awful close.

David Cronenberg's The Fly

This movie was straight up disgusting, so I liked it a lot. Though the ending is a bit flat for me, and it sort of leaves some loose threads dangling in a way that really irks me. Like what the fuck

happened to the Baboon after Brundle teleports himself?

Pretty good movie, but doesn't hold a candle to The Thing for body horror, which manages to be more straight up terrifying vs The Fly's just plain nasty.

I like it for the 80s gore but the Vincent Price version is immortal.

Pink Flamingoes

I CAN'T UNSEE IT MY GOD I CAN'T I'VE BEEN MIND RAPED

UUUGGH I CAN'T GET OVER IT I HATE YOU JOHN WATERS

tLPZmPaHme0

Started to rewatch Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Love this movie. It's not a movie that I learn anything from, I don't grow as a person, but this combo of matinee adventure, conspiracy movie and superhero action is just lovely. Definitely my favorite Marvel movie. So happy to have a nice steelbook edition of this.

Jurassic World

Pacing is all over the place and there's little to no characterisation (several character developments are brought up and then promptly forgotten), but it's a lot of fun. If you haven't seen MovieBob's review, it sums my thoughts up nicely.

eGFdiIe3kOs

Bernie.

Good plot and was based on an actual murder in Carthage, East Texas, which is close to me because I lived in southeast Texas until I was around 7 and go back close to every year. Jack Black's acting as the main character was phenomenal in my opinion. The combination of seriousness with small amounts of dark humor mixed in along wish using actual citizens of the town of Carthage just made this movie very good to me.

I saw Jurassic World again, and I need to revise my original opinion of it.

What Jurassic World is, and what I've heard it described as by men better than I, is a B-movie with a budget. And while that's not automatically a bad thing, it does mean that the movie is driven by its action above all else - including the characters. It's an incredibly shallow movie with no depth to it beyond "let's see a bunch of CGI dinosaurs attack stuff!", which isn't the best thing for a movie to be.

The four main characters are all unbelievably token and given about one personality trait each. The two kids come off the worst - one's a bored teenager who's mostly just interested in looking at pretty girls rather than the dinosaurs (though even he cracks a smile when splashed by the Mosasaur), and the other's basically Tim from the first film - a nerdy kid who's really into dinosaurs. That's IT, and any attempt to have them be any more than that falls completely flat because it's never properly explored. Case in point - at one point before all hell breaks loose, the younger kid tells the older one that he knows their parents are getting divorced. This lasts exactly one scene, is utterly irrelevant to the plot and is never mentioned again.

The two adults get a bit more development, but not much. Chris Pratt is the Dino Whisperer, and... yeah, that's about it, while that red-headed chick is your typical overworked businesswoman. Pratt... OK, Pratt doesn't develop at all, but red-head does to a degree (though mostly in that by the end she's inevitably gonna be out of a job, so I doubt she'll be overworked any more). Oh, and they have the. Most. Token. Romance. EVER. One mention near the start of the film, then a kiss near the end. Even George Lucas had a better romance in his films, and I can't believe I just said that with a straight face but there it is.

You also have the Kingpin (Vincent D'whatshisface) playing Obvious McBadGuy, who's so blatant and obvious I'm amazed no-one in the film saw his villainous takeover coming, and... uh... a few minor supporting characters, one of whom, surprisingly, gets more character and development that the main characters - the nerdy tech guy with the Jurassic Park shirt has something resembling an arc and a personality (and the biggest laugh of the film).

So that would be my biggest problem with the film - the characters are just flimsy cardboard cutouts with nothing to them (Well, actually, my biggest problem is the fate of the British assistant, which is just... not pleasant. At all.). What does the film do right? The action.

I'm not gonna lie, the film does NOT feel like a two hour movie, since the action scenes are so much fun the time just flies by. The CGI isn't bad (as many have said), but it IS obvious, which I don't count as being the same thing. Once you adjust to this fact though, the dinosaur scenes are an absolute riot. Raptors! Pteradons! All the other ones! Hell, even the T-Rex gets its moment to shine, and dear lord, the final fight is just GLORIOUS. It's almost worth the price of admission just for that last sequence.

But in the end, having nothing but really cool action scenes doesn't make for a good film, and this isn't the classic sequel that the franchise really deserves. It'll do, sure, but c'mon... it's been 20 years. Is this really the best we can do? I'm surprised the film has done SO well. It's OK, but it's REALLY not that good. Like I said at the start, it's a B-movie with a budget. Fine for some, but surely the audience should demand better than that?

So... yeah. If you want action, go see this movie. If you want anything else, skip it.

I agree with most of that, except a) I don't think the action is good and b) I've seen plenty of B-movies with far more depth and superior writing!

David Cronenberg's The Fly

This movie was straight up disgusting, so I liked it a lot. Though the ending is a bit flat for me, and it sort of leaves some loose threads dangling in a way that really irks me. Like what the fuck happened to the Baboon after Brundle teleports himself?

That was explained in this scene but it was deleted from the final cut...

QizX5msl-G0

It's a brilliant scene.

Here's my personal reading of the scene and my own interpretations...

Seth Brundle's mind is deteriorating, in addition to his body and in an act of utter desperation, he "experiments" on finding a solution by creating a test subject for his own situation... by merging a cat with a baboon. The teleportation doors open and the hisses and groans of the resulting creation echo from within the pod. The sound is one of confused despair, created by the innocence of two terrified animals. Only they are no longer two animals; they are now only one. An unholy union in a Godless world. Their owner, the man whom loved them and cared for them, has betrayed them and ruined them.

They do the only thing that they know how to do and instinctively lash out. First at Seth and then at each other. As the merged creatures attack, they do so in the hope that things may return back to how they were. However, things can never return back to how they were and Seth will soon come to see that the creature now uselessly wriggling in front of him is in fact, a mirror for himself and his own situation. These poor creatures don't know why this has happened. They don't even know what they now are. As they attack each other, they are in fact attacking themselves and they feel the pain of their own claws and bites digging into their own newly created flesh.

Seth, relising that he's created an abomination, puts the poor thing out of it's misery in a barbaric way and his act of cruelty suddenly races from deep within and reaches what little remains of his conscience, soon followed by the horrendous realisation that his own ultimate fate will surely be similar to that of his now deceased abomination.

He runs to the top of the building and yells out to the city and the skies above... "no! No! NO!". A pitiful attempt at defiance. Fruitless words that will carry no consequence. A shout to God above. The God that he shunned when he thought that he himself could play God. He knows it now; he is doomed. There is no hope but he will not quit. If he can not revert back to his old human self, then perhaps there is another solution. A solution that would see him merged with his loved one. He thinks it better than the path that he's currently on. Seth's mind has truly gone.

As you can tell from my above summarisation of the scene; I f**king LOVE it. It says so much about the character of Seth Brundle and his current state. It's horrifying and utterly tragic on so many levels

The scene was deleted because test audiences reacted badly; they said that it was "too upsetting". Considering that the whole point of horror is to UPSET the status quo, removing this scene is pretty bloody short sighted. Yet further evidence that the practice of studios altering films based upon the opinions of a small group is an absolutely disgusting commercially orientated act, that comes at the complete expense of artistic intent.

If I was ever to be invited to participate in a test screening, then once the film had finished and I was handed the card to fill out; I would say that I wanted absolutely nothing in the film to be changed at all. Hell, I could be at a test screening for Paul Blart 2 and I would fill out the card and say "I liked the movie and I would change nothing" because regardless of my feelings towards a movie, it is NOT MY PLACE to decide what should be in the final theatrical edit.

Fan edits on the other hand are a wonderful opportunity to craft a film the way that you'd like it to be. Speaking of which, I'm going to make a fan edit of The Fly and include the above scene in it. That's the only change that I'll be making because that film is already nigh on perfect in my estimation. Easiest fan edit that I'll have ever worked on!

Just watched The Death Of Superman Lives: What Happened?

The Kickstarted documentary of the Nick Cage flick which had it's plug pulled.

I enjoyed it quiet a bit and I learned that both, Tim Burton is still a pretty cool guy when his ex-fiancé isn't around, and Producer John Peters is a dick. I recommend it if you're a fan of movie pre-production or Superman. The documentary can drag a bit in the middle once they've set the story and Burton vision out and they start asking everyone the same questions, but I still found it interesting as most of the interviewees are veterans of the business.

as far as what is essentially a behind the scenes documentary, I'd say it's a nice 8/10. Would've been 9 if Nick was available(all archive footage and sound bites).

Ant-Man - 8/10

Hugely enjoyable heist movie where the guy leading the heist can shrink. A little slow to start, but once it all kicks off... it's an absolute blast and you'll have an incredibly hard time keeping the grin off your face. Highly recommended.

Oh, and if you thought the Thomas the Tank Engine gag in the trailer was funny... man, you're in for a treat.

I saw Ant Man the other day as well. It was pretty great. Basically a Paul Rudd movie where he happens to have superpowers. The cross over with other Marvel stuff was kind of fun, but I wish the movie didn't have a lot of it. I rewatched Iron Man 1 recently and was struck by how self contained it felt. And yet Marvel still managed to build a massive franchise from the universe they created with it. Maybe not every Marvel movie needs incredibly obvious tie ins with other movies. Daredevil was very self contained as well, and it might be better for that. It would be great if years from now when people go back to look at these films, they can understand them without knowing what happened in the other films.

To be fair, the only real cross-over with the rest of the Marvel universe was

the bit with Falcon

, and even that was basically just a five minute bit of fun because they could. Yeah, they could easily have cut that bit out and lost nothing, but it was totally worth having because

OH MY GOD WE SAW WHAT FALCON SEES THAT'S SUPER COOL PLUS THE GOING INSIDE HIS SUIT BIT WAS TOTALLY PAYOFF FOR LATER WOO FOR PLANTING AND PAYOFF

Just came home from Antman

considering how much I loathe comic book heroes. Antman was a very good movie. Up there with Winter Soldier.

Dat moment people leave a Marvel movie during the credits.. should we tell em... naaah.

Just came home from Antman

considering how much I loathe comic book heroes. Antman was a very good movie. Up there with Winter Soldier.

Dat moment people leave a Marvel movie during the credits.. should we tell em... naaah.

The majority of people don't care about the end credits stuff. I remember having conversations with people at my theater confused about The Avengers 2 teaser with Thanos. They had no idea who he was even though they'd seen Guardians of the Galaxy.

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

How is it that Tom Cruise's movie are all of a sudden awesome again? Ever since Edge of Tomorrow and Oblivion, he's been on a roll.

The Tale of Princess Kagura: 7/10

Beautiful animation but the film just drags ooooooooonnnnnn.

It's way too long. And it's depressing as hell, (but it's based off Japanese folklore so what can you expect really?)

RIPD: 6/10

What if Men in Black was about dead people instead of aliens and was also worse?

Trainwreck is pretty funny. Apatow's best film in a while. Maybe his best film ever.

Dragonball Z: Resurrection F was pretty great. I liked Battle of Gods a lot, but it definitely felt at times like it was more of a "family reunion" with all the characters just getting together but not having much involvement in the plot. All the side characters involved in this one have more purpose to the plot. The plot's a lot more interesting over all too.

FINALLY saw Mad Max: Fury Road (last screening in Melbourne!)

You guys all know how badass it is, so I don't need to explain.

Finally an Australian film that isn't a sentimental piece of shit. :D

Fantastic 4 (2015) 6/10

It's not bad, but it isn't great either. Really lacked action for a superhero movie. Not sure if much better than the other rubbish F4 films tbh.

Spongebob Movie 2: Electric Boogaloo

'Better film than Fantastic 4'/10

I went to see Paper Towns with my girlfriend yesterday and was surprised that I enjoyed it. It's not something I'd go out of my way to see again, but it was pretty entertaining. It also had some clever twists on coming of age movie tropes that I really dug.

I watched Dreamworks Mr. Peabody and Sherman yesterday. It was okay. I was hoping it would be more like the George of the Jungle film. There was too much of a focus on the father/son aspect, and it just didn't feel as compelling as the movie wanted it to. I would have liked more of the fun wordplay and puns.

Seeing The Man From Uncle tonight. Will review later.
Please do - I'm really tempted to see this one.