Sign in to follow this  
tiffuts

Last Movie you watched...

Sully

Thing about Clint Eastwood is even his OK movies tend to be pretty good. Beautifully shot and great performances by Tom Hanks and Aaron Eckhart, although I got a little bored by the amount of flashback scenes and found the ending to be a bit too abrupt, but nevertheless it was still a good movie.

Well, last movie I saw was on the plane back from Scotland so I decided to go watch movies I hadn't seen before. The last one I got through was AI Artificial Intelligence, which was probably the bleakest movie I've seen in awhile. I enjoyed it, though I couldn't stop wishing that the middle bit of the move could have been the main plot. That post-apocalypse world was fascinating with the Flesh Fairs and such. Kinda Blade Runner like, but from the opposite point of view. If only the movie had followed Joe instead of the whiny mommy's boy.

I saw Van Damme fight his daughter.

Probably the most interesting aspect of Alien Uprising/UFO.  Ever watch a movie where it seems like it was actually shot in order and they realised on the last day of shooting that the movie wasn't going to be very interesting or memorable?  It felt like that, because the last ten minutes seemed to completely derail.  Normally, that would be bad, but considering that I was so close to being asleep that I had to rewind a few minutes to figure out what happened, I welcomed it.  At least something happened.  Apparently, that was the point of the movie, without going into spoilers, but it doesn't excuse the grueling first 90min.

The Social Network

I saw the first half of it some time ago, and didn't get back to it, until today, when swedish tv had it on. I really liked the first part of it, with the great start about Mark Zuckerberg, facemash, Trent Reznor's and Atticus Ross' soundtack and all that. But honestly, having seen the rest of the movie now, I don't feel that I missed that much. 

Sure, it's interesting to hear this side of the story about how Facebook was created, but in movie form, the latter part wasn't that special. 

Blair Witch is getting assf**ked by critics. Sorry guys, I just don't agree, I thought this was pretty damn good and I'll be seeing it again tonight.

15 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

Blair Witch is getting assf**ked by critics. Sorry guys, I just don't agree, I thought this was pretty damn good and I'll be seeing it again tonight.

The site I follow(more because I know some of them and less because I agree with them) gave it 7/10.

37 minutes ago, Johro said:

The site I follow(more because I know some of them and less because I agree with them) gave it 7/10.

The mainstream ones are giving 3s and 4s, but I don't trust big critics when it comes to horror movies. I've made the mistake of doing otherwise and always ended up disappointed (The Babadook, It Follows, The Witch).

9 hours ago, Noname215 said:

Fincher must really have a thing for Nine Inch Nails.

It's good thing to have a thing for, Trent Reznor continues to deliver. 

15 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

Wait... You don't like the Babadook?

I did not, no sir. That very annoying child made sure of that.

I mean, I did like certain elements, but overall I just wasn't that into it. Which really disappointed me because as a horror guy I really wanted to like it.

Oh, that reminds me, the next season of Ash Vs Evil Dead comes out October 2nd. I am so f**king ready.

The Jungle Book (2016)

Really enjoyed this one. I initially thought it looked a bit bad, when Bagheera first spoke, but after that I was rather impressed with the graphic and animations in this one. And I watched the whole movie in one sitting without break, something I otherwise very often have trouble doing it. It was well paced, with quite good VO, the actor playing Mowgli did a great job, and the songs actually wasn't that cringe worthy as I thought they would be. 

And Christoper Walken was brilliant as King Louie, top performance. 

The only thing I didn't really get was why:

Spoiler

Baloo actually were in place to rescue Mowgli from Kaa, considering that place didn't look like a place where he would otherwise go

Inception.

Watched it again for the first time in a while. Still my favourite movie of all time (trumping The Matrix, which had a good 11 year run). I used to highly dislike pretty-boy Leonardo Dicaprio's movies, but after he grew up he's turned into one of my favourites.

I also spent a lot of time thinking afterward how it might make a good game and came up with a few ideas. After going through various ideas I came to the realization that it might actually work best as an asymmetrical multiplayer game with one team being the extractors and the other being the projections. Basically at its core it'd be something just like CTF but with Inception-like features. Maybe one person chooses the maps (architect)? Maybe even a multi-level campaign system like L4D except each level is another dream depth. Maybe multiple game modes covering Inception itself? Maybe a Limbo game mode that's just free for all deathmatch with abilities to create random fantastic and unrealistic things like super weapons, destroying buildings, creating buildings, warping reality to your advantage somehow. Could use more thought but the more I think about it the more I want to play it.

Edited by MusicallyInspired

Inception is awesome. One of my favorite movies. 

Especially since I watched it at the cinema, with my brother, without knowing anything about it before. 

Well executed, thoughtful, a bit provoking, amd with a great OST. 

Finally got around to watching Let Me In (2010). Absolutely brilliant and beautiful movie. It's a remake of the Swedish film Let the Right One In. The original is also excellent, but I preferred the remake for once.

Edited by Milkman

Captain America: Civil War

Enjoyed it. Not as good as Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but better then Avengers: Age of Ultron. Although it did feel a lot like a new Avengers movie, with all those characters and that much focus on Iron Man. Some really fun scenes, but I do think that the introduction of the new characters felt more like a service to their upcoming movies, then a service to this. Good, but not quite great. 

Only a few years late to the party, I finally got around to seeing Interstellar.

Really enjoyed it. I'm the sort of person that can get grumpy about scientific inaccuracies in films, particularly space-centric ones, and I was happy to see that this film didn't take too many liberties and I was able to suspend my disbelief for the ones it did take.

I was fascinated to learn that the black hole depicted in the film was actually an extremely accurate representation of one and wasn't touched up to look more appealing to audiences as it turns out that black holes already manage to look pretty damn incredible all by themselves.

Spoiler

Though of course, you have to set aside the fact that the protagonist enters one and survives completely intact, but Interstellar was pretty clearly getting quite 2001: A Space Odyssey-ish that point so I just sat back and enjoyed the spectacle as well as the stable time-loop reveal.

Also, great soundtrack. I think organs are an underappreciated instrument in major film scores and can do a lot to lend a sense of epicness and grand scale to something.

I need to rewatch John Wick because this new trailer for the sequel has me excited.

On 12.10.2016 at 5:05 AM, Scarecrow said:

I think that maybe John Wick was the character Keanu Reeves was born to play.

Yeah, it's a great role for him.

8 hours ago, Double H said:

Yeah, it's a great role for him.

To be honest, I would have rather had another one of these over John Wick 2

image.jpeg

Hunt for the Wilderpeople is now one of my favourite films, seen it 3 times at the cinema this week. Taika Watiti hasn't ever disappointed me before and he certainly doesn't now.

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children

Not bad, but I wish we could get back some of that sinister, dark Tim Burton that did movies like Beetlejuice, Sleepy Hollow and Edward Scissorhands.

3 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

Is that out on Demand yet? Because it didn't get a wide release stateside and I really really want to see it.

EDIT: As with the vast majority of questions posed on the Internet, I should have gone to Google first. Google says that it is indeed available on Demand. I guess I know what I'm doing on my next day off.

Hope you like it! It has a very particular sense of humour that clicks with me that not many other films exhibit.

On 10/13/2016 at 11:51 PM, Noname215 said:

To be honest, I would have rather had another one of these over John Wick 2

The sequel that never happened due to horrible timing.

First, everyone wanted it but Keanu(because he was getting meatier roles).  Then everyone wanted it but Alex(because he felt he was done acting).  Then everyone wanted it but a studio(and here we sit).

The worst movie I have ever seen is called Five Venoms Vs. Wu Tang. Hopping zombies, Kung fu monks, Kung fu children, Kung fu zombie children, full frontal preschooler nudity, dogs being made to piss in a jar, bad Chinese happy happy go go music, and a baby zombie that pees twenty feet.

I've been watching movies that I remember wanting to see but never got around to. So far this week that has been:

Robots

I really enjoyed it. A bit straightforward plot-wise, but still really entertaining to watch with a really Bernstein-type score and, of course, amazing voice work by Robin Williams and Ewan McGregor. I was always mildly interested by the concept but as a kid some of the jokes in the trailers made me think the movie would be all dumb humor. But it got surprisingly dark at some bits, particularly with the healthcare commentary and how old robots were literally melted down in a big torture dungeon under the city. 

Rush Hour 2

Like most Jackie Chan movies, great action and comedy, who cares what the plot is. Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan have such great chemistry they could be doing pretty much anything and it'd be fun to watch.

Ouija: Origin Of Evil

I'm so happy that this was actually a decent horror movie, as good as a PG-13 horror can get, which is something I can't say about the first one. Mike Flanagan knows how to do horror, having done Oculus, Hush and Before I Wake. I remember reading somewhere that he was on the shortlist of directors being considered for the reboot of Halloween that John Carpenter is producing, next to Adam Wingard. At first I wanted Wingard because I really dug Blair Witch but now I can't choose.

Edited by Noname215

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows

I was a bit pissed off earlier today, for different reasons, and rented this through a streaming service here in Sweden just to get my mind off things and to have something to watch while eating, but.......this is a truly awful movie. I could just stand the first half, and then started playing Civ 6 instead. 

There a bad movies done right, and there are movies like this that barely makes a single scene work. I knew that I had to have my expectations low for this, and I don't care at all for TMNT as franchise, not even for nostalgic reasons. But while movies like Transformers (the first one, not the others), works as entertainment, provides some impressive scenes, have a certain style and idenitity, and get a few jokes right, this movie so far has nothing of this. 

Rating for the first half: Pure shit, 1/5.

34 minutes ago, CecilRousso said:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows

I was a bit pissed off earlier today, for different reasons, and rented this through a streaming service here in Sweden just to get my mind off things and to have something to watch while eating, but.......this is a truly awful movie. I could just stand the first half, and then started playing Civ 6 instead. 

There a bad movies done right, and there are movies like this that barely makes a single scene work. I knew that I had to have my expectations low for this, and I don't care at all for TMNT as franchise, not even for nostalgic reasons. But while movies like Transformers (the first one, not the others), works as entertainment, provides some impressive scenes, have a certain style and idenitity, and get a few jokes right, this movie so far has nothing of this. 

Rating for the first half: Pure shit, 1/5.

That's Michael Bay for you!