Sign in to follow this  
tiffuts

Last Movie you watched...

Kong: Skull Island

25% King Kong, 50% Brie Larson/Tom Hiddleston/John C. Reilly, 25% Samuel L. Jackson going all Colonel Kurtz.

But also... GODZILLA! MOTHRA! RODAN! KING GHIDORAH!

I watched Antichrist. I think I saw it before with some friends but didn't really remember it, still wasn't impressed by it. The dead animals were cool.

I loooove LSOH. Did you get to see the original ending in all its remastered glory?

It's worth watching purely for the practical effects goodness - lots of extra cool puppetry, scale models etc

2 hours ago, TimeGentleman said:

I loooove LSOH. Did you get to see the original ending in all its remastered glory?

I did! I got the Blu-Ray-edition. I would have preferred the original ending, but it's too unfinished (sound and music wise) to really watch unless you know the history of the movie.

The original ending flows much better than the theatrical edit after Audrey gets half-eaten by the plant, and it fits better with the tone of the movie. But it is a semi-depressing ending.

2 hours ago, Noname215 said:

Have you ever seen the original Roger Corman version?

A long time ago. It's really cheap-looking in a good Corman way, but I don't remember it too well.

If you want a good movie that has lesbians, then probably Blue Is The Warmest Color. I myself have never seen it but I'm aware of what it's about.

CHiPs

A dumb buddy cop comedy for an empty weekend. Everyone eat's everyone's @$$!

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

I liked it a lot more than critics did. Sure, there was a moment where I found the dialogue clunky, but for the most part I enjoyed Charlie Hunnam, I thought Jude Law was a decent villain, and I liked seeing all that frantic editing and heavily stylized action that you expect from a Guy Ritchie movie. Overall, I liked it. Not a bad swords and sorcerers movie.

7/10

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Goodbye, Captain Barbossa. You were a sinister rogue of legendary status.

The Mummy

Too damn predictable. Who wrote this thing?

David Koepp. Ah, the usual suspect.

Christopher McQuarrie. Now that is a shame, because McQuarrie is a pretty good writer. You have The Usual Suspects, Edge of Tomorrow, MI: Rogue Nation, Way of the Gun.

Dylan Kussman. Never heard of this guy. Apparently he has some noir web series on YouTube called "The Steps."

There's a brief moment during the scene where Jekyll turns into Hyde where the Book of the Dead from the Fraser movie is shown. Maybe secretly those movies are canon, but I doubt it's anything more than a nod, like how they also show the Creature from the Black Lagoon's arm.

This movie was a stumble. I hope whoever is handling the Dark Uninverse (stupid name) steps up with Bride Of Frankenstein.

I actually saw the Karloff original before I saw the Fraser version. Universal Monsters beat Marvel by about 70 years with a cinematic universe, even though they called them 'monster rallies.' House of Frankenstein is the original Avengers.

I'm also beginning to notice how Tom Cruise is falling into the same category as Mark Wahlberg: actors I like but all their characters are beginning to feel too similar to each other.

Edited by Noname215

I think I saw somewhere that DC(?) threatened to sue Universal over the "Dark Universe" name, so they may just rename it. I agree, though, it's a stupid name; good taste should sue them both to drop it.

I just watched Friday the 13th for the first time last night (the original one) after watching some Twitch streams of the new game. I finally decided it was time I watch this cultural icon as I was never interested in these movies. I shied away from horror all my life because they just weren't my thing, but I figured something from 1980 wouldn't be something someone in this desensitized day and age would really get affected as much by. If I can watch Alien or Aliens or Predator or something, I can watch 1980's Friday the 13th. I was right. The effects were good for the time but those kids don't know how to act lol. Especially the lead. Not that it was bad. I really enjoyed it. I also didn't realize that Jason only took up about 2% of screen time and he didn't even have the mask. It was as surprising as learning that the first Rambo movie (First Blood) didn't take place in a jungle somewhere. It's interesting that these older movie franchises became huge but it was the imagery that the sequels brought to the table that became the face of their brands (no pun intended).

Anyway, it was pretty good. I wasn't terrified (like I maybe would have been 15 years ago if I'd seen it then) and it was simplistic, but I was still engaged and surprised by the outcome. Movies back then didn't have formulas nailed down and people just did whatever they felt like and it worked, which really speaks to their talents as writers/directors. I mean, a movie like that wouldn't make much sense today. That first girl who was hitchhiking in the beginning, it wouldn't have made sense to kill her off that early in a movie today. Or the jealous kid. They'd want to expand the motivations of the characters so that you feel more when something happens to them or something. Back then it was just: this is the jealous guy. And now he's dead. This is the butch guy and his girlfriend. And now they're dead. There's something charming and refreshing about that. I mean, I'm all for a well-crafted well-presented story, but sometimes just getting to the point is a good thing and something we're missing in movies now. I was also surprised by how little swearing was in it. Also refreshing. You can be scary and adult without dropping f bombs everywhere just because it's rated R.

Got myself a pre-screening ticket to Baby Driver for early next month. Stoked.

Thank God that movie gets an early release. You put a movie out when it's done, so why sit on it?

I got a hold of passes to see an advance screening of War for the Planet of the Apes on Monday.

So tonight I did something that I had wanted to do since moving to London nearly four years ago and that was to go see a film at the Prince Charles Cinema. The Prince Charles is a independent repertory cinema in the West End of London and is known for showing classic cult films as well as mainstream stuff and special events. The film I saw was Warcraft. Now that may seem like a weird choice to make but it wasn't just the film, it was a screening of the film followed by a Q&A with Duncan Jones, the director. The whole thing started out on Twitter with Duncan Jones just put the idea out to gauge interest and it got sorted that day. It was a very much spur of the moment idea to actually buy a ticket for a screening on a Monday night of a film I can't say that I've ever been particularly interested in but I have enjoyed Jones' previous films and I liked the idea of having a new experience out of it at least.

So as someone who has played the first two Warcraft games many, many years ago and has no desire to ever get into WoW, and so have no clue about the lore and that kind of stuff, I went with the expectations of a standard big budget fantasy film. And that is what I didn't see. Sure there was plenty of the standard fantasy tropes, but the focus was on individual characters on both sides of the big conflict. On the whole it was an enjoyable films which did a few things I didn't expect but I wasn't that bothered about the whole world and the lore inside of it, mainly because that's how I feel about the games as well.

The Q&A session was very interesting as well, and made the whole thing worth. He was very honest with how the finished film wasn't what he had originally planned what with having to deal with the pressured of the studio and other relevant parties. How that whenever a scene was cut, at whatever stage, then it was gone forever because of the amount of CGI required. It wasn't like making a normal film in which you could film as much as you need and then edit it all together at the end, in films like this you can only film what you are going to get fully CGId up (or some proper term) and so the editing of the film kind of happens all throughout the process. And then there's having to deal with a big studio with their demands about the story and what needs to happen. Listening to him talk about stuff like that, the pressures of big budget film making and how hard it is but also how it will help him develop his skills as a director and open doors to new projects, like his upcoming film Mute which he describe as the Marmite of film which should be interesting at least.

War for the Planet of the Apes

Better than Rise, not as good as Dawn.

10 hours ago, Cengared said:

So tonight I did something that I had wanted to do since moving to London nearly four years ago and that was to go see a film at the Prince Charles Cinema. The Prince Charles is a independent repertory cinema in the West End of London and is known for showing classic cult films as well as mainstream stuff and special events.

Ah, the Prince Charles is great! I'm a lifetime member, although I no longer live in London. They do some great events, like X-Men marathons, Aliens/Predator or Robocop/Terminator double-bills and lots of Q&As.

6 hours ago, TimeGentleman said:

Ah, the Prince Charles is great! I'm a lifetime member, although I no longer live in London. They do some great events, like X-Men marathons, Aliens/Predator or Robocop/Terminator double-bills and lots of Q&As.

I enjoyed going there and am thinking about getting at least a year's membership, especially while I'm still a student. Sounds like you get a lot a good benefits.

Baby Driver

Great soundtrack, great highly stylized action, some good lighthearted humor amongst all the seriousness. I mean, I do think there were some flaws like underusing particular actors and an ending that was kinda abrupt, plus a moment from a particular person that felt out of character. So, I think it was more of an 85% than a 95%, but still, I really liked it. And I'm looking forward to more of Edgar Wright's output in the future.

Saw the first half of the new Ghostbusters movie, and so far, it's quite entertaining. Really dumb in it's places, sure, but not offensively so. And the cast really is the highlight so far, they're great, all of them. 

I went to a preview of The Big Sick last night and I really enjoyed it. I'm not really a fan of rom-coms but I was interested in this because it is based on the relationship of comedian Kumail Nanjiani (of Silicon Valley and stuff) and his (then future) wife Emily Gordon (a writer & producer), who I started to follow because of the Indoor Kids gaming podcast they did together. The Big Sick is a story they wrote of how they met (coupled with the problems of a modern Pakistani male in America, especially one dating a white woman) and how Emily is hit by a mysterious illness which Kumail has to try to deal with along with her parents. Nanjiani played himself and Emily was wonderfully played by Zoe Kazan. Special mention go to Ray Romano and Holly Hunter who played Emily's parents and were hilarious, touching and so real together. The whole film was genuinely funny as well as heartfelt and honest, and I would recommend it to anyone.

I'm not a big rom-com guy with the exception of a few old Cary Grant flicks, The War Of The Roses (which feels like a dark satire of rom-coms) and As Good As It Gets.

Edited by Noname215

Angry Birds: The Movie

I've seen worse.