Sign in to follow this  
tiffuts

Last Movie you watched...

The Foreigner

Even without the comedic undertone of his usual fare, Jackie Chan is still a master at what he does. Even under the direction of another. Plus, Martin Campbell does a damn good job, as does Pierce Brosnan.

Blade Runner 2049

Not perfect, not flawless. You have to question how some characters was used. B

But dammit, what a movie! What a soundtrack! One of my favorite experiences at the cinema. They did so many things right. 

I went and saw Dunkirk in 1570 at the largest screen in the world. (IMAX Melbourne). What a film. Probably my favourite war film.

I also had the best seats in the cinema, it was the perfect experience.

1 hour ago, Bidiot Bales said:

I went and saw Dunkirk in 1570 at the largest screen in the world. (IMAX Melbourne). What a film. Probably my favourite war film.

I also had the best seats in the cinema, it was the perfect experience.

Honestly, I kinda wished it was longer than an hour and 59. But yes, it is a great movie.

Still thinking about the magnificent Blade Runner 2049:)  

But the latest movie I watched is King Arthur, and yeah, that was barely passable entertainment. 

Murder on the Orient Express

For me this was more about the journey than the destination. Having read Agatha Christie's novel and seen all three previous adaptations (have never played the video game), this was just a matter of wanting to see what was done differently. The answer: quite a lot, actually.

Branagh's direction is pretty tight, but I felt like a lot of the cast was misused, as the 1974 film did as well. Sure you get moments like with Josh Gad, Daisy Ridley and Michelle Pfeiffer, but other cast members like Penelope Cruz and Willem Defoe feel like they're just faces used to fill a role. 

Kenneth Branagh's Hercule Poirot I actually enjoyed. Underneath this OCD is a slightly sardonic sense of humor, shown especially in his encounters with Johnny Depp and whoever the guy is who plays M. Bouc. And I have to commend him for taking the role in a direction different than what as been done before, because he easily could have done a redo of David Suchet's mannerisms or Peter Ustinov's wry attitude. This version of Poirot differs the most because of physicality. Not to say he pulled an RDJ Sherlock Holmes move but there is a particular scene between him and Gad's character McQueen that had some jumping around.

The look of the movie is gorgeous, as Branagh's movies tend to be (with the exception of Jack Ryan), and everything seems well staged and shot like out of a classic murder mystery. A lot here feels old timey, from the way the characters all seem to carry themselves to the way Daisy Ridley's makeup is done up. The whole movie is itself a tribute to an old style of movie that is bogged down by genre cliches and I honestly would like to see more of it.

Okay, so there are a few things I believe the other adaptations did better.

Particularly the reveal at the end and how Poirot handles it. Here, Poirot just makes a slight adjustment of his moral code in relation to his obsession with 'balance,' that here he must accept the lack thereof. I feel like it wasn't better done in the Suchet adaptation, where he's enraged at what he perceives as a kangaroo court and it genuinely strains everything from his Catholicism to his sense of justice to choose to let the murderers walk. That look of pain on Suchet's face as he walks away felt real. Here, Branagh simply sighs, talks a bit sympathetically, meets with a driver who name drops Death on the Nile, and walks away.

Overall, I do kinda wish they chosen a different book from Christie's library so I could have actually been surprised by the plot. Here what surprised me was the execution. I applaud Branagh for taking it in a direction I had not really seen before, especially with the character of Hercule Poirot. And if he does decide to do a follow up (hoping on The ABC Murders or Death In The Clouds) I will accept it with open arms. We need a return to the classic murder mystery, and this feels like a step in the right direction.

7.5/10

Spiderman: Homecoming

This was good. I'm not particulary fond of Spiderman as a character, but I liked how it incorporated elements from other more bombastic Marvel movies, while still being a bit more grounded. Michael Keaton was excellent as the villain, and he felt like the second best villain in the series after Loki. 

It didn't break the top trio of Marvel movies for me (Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers), but it's close to them. Better then the two most recent ones I've seen, Dr. Strange and Guardians of the Galaxy 2. 

The Disaster Artist 

No rating. No review. No bull. See the damn movie, it is worth your time and money and then some.

Your Name is just a stunningly well made film. I wish it could be nominated for Best Picture, but that's never going to happen.

Dunkirk

I'm usually hesitant to watch war movies, and the awfull stories and situations those tell. It's something I prefer to have in documentaries. And the best movies for me are movies that I want to rewatch, over and over again, which is something difficult for war movies. 

But this was 5/5. 

It constantly balanced between heroism and tragedy, and between truly horrific scenes and impressive views. This is what I want high production value movies to be, that they to their best extent replicates realism, instead of missguided overblown mixes between confusing viewpoints and cameraviews and unrealistic CGI sequences.  

This didn't lean to much into action, and the mix of viewpoints air, land and sea worked very well. The flight sequences are among my favorite scenes in any movies. 

Before I Wake

Loved it. Mike Flanagan is on his way to being the next John Carpenter.

Thank God this movie got pulled from purgatory. Hell, it was supposed to come out in 2013.