Sign in to follow this  
tiffuts

Last Movie you watched...

The Foreigner

Even without the comedic undertone of his usual fare, Jackie Chan is still a master at what he does. Even under the direction of another. Plus, Martin Campbell does a damn good job, as does Pierce Brosnan.

Blade Runner 2049

Not perfect, not flawless. You have to question how some characters was used. B

But dammit, what a movie! What a soundtrack! One of my favorite experiences at the cinema. They did so many things right. 

I went and saw Dunkirk in 1570 at the largest screen in the world. (IMAX Melbourne). What a film. Probably my favourite war film.

I also had the best seats in the cinema, it was the perfect experience.

1 hour ago, Bidiot Bales said:

I went and saw Dunkirk in 1570 at the largest screen in the world. (IMAX Melbourne). What a film. Probably my favourite war film.

I also had the best seats in the cinema, it was the perfect experience.

Honestly, I kinda wished it was longer than an hour and 59. But yes, it is a great movie.

Still thinking about the magnificent Blade Runner 2049:)  

But the latest movie I watched is King Arthur, and yeah, that was barely passable entertainment. 

Murder on the Orient Express

For me this was more about the journey than the destination. Having read Agatha Christie's novel and seen all three previous adaptations (have never played the video game), this was just a matter of wanting to see what was done differently. The answer: quite a lot, actually.

Branagh's direction is pretty tight, but I felt like a lot of the cast was misused, as the 1974 film did as well. Sure you get moments like with Josh Gad, Daisy Ridley and Michelle Pfeiffer, but other cast members like Penelope Cruz and Willem Defoe feel like they're just faces used to fill a role. 

Kenneth Branagh's Hercule Poirot I actually enjoyed. Underneath this OCD is a slightly sardonic sense of humor, shown especially in his encounters with Johnny Depp and whoever the guy is who plays M. Bouc. And I have to commend him for taking the role in a direction different than what as been done before, because he easily could have done a redo of David Suchet's mannerisms or Peter Ustinov's wry attitude. This version of Poirot differs the most because of physicality. Not to say he pulled an RDJ Sherlock Holmes move but there is a particular scene between him and Gad's character McQueen that had some jumping around.

The look of the movie is gorgeous, as Branagh's movies tend to be (with the exception of Jack Ryan), and everything seems well staged and shot like out of a classic murder mystery. A lot here feels old timey, from the way the characters all seem to carry themselves to the way Daisy Ridley's makeup is done up. The whole movie is itself a tribute to an old style of movie that is bogged down by genre cliches and I honestly would like to see more of it.

Okay, so there are a few things I believe the other adaptations did better.

Particularly the reveal at the end and how Poirot handles it. Here, Poirot just makes a slight adjustment of his moral code in relation to his obsession with 'balance,' that here he must accept the lack thereof. I feel like it wasn't better done in the Suchet adaptation, where he's enraged at what he perceives as a kangaroo court and it genuinely strains everything from his Catholicism to his sense of justice to choose to let the murderers walk. That look of pain on Suchet's face as he walks away felt real. Here, Branagh simply sighs, talks a bit sympathetically, meets with a driver who name drops Death on the Nile, and walks away.

Overall, I do kinda wish they chosen a different book from Christie's library so I could have actually been surprised by the plot. Here what surprised me was the execution. I applaud Branagh for taking it in a direction I had not really seen before, especially with the character of Hercule Poirot. And if he does decide to do a follow up (hoping on The ABC Murders or Death In The Clouds) I will accept it with open arms. We need a return to the classic murder mystery, and this feels like a step in the right direction.

7.5/10

Spiderman: Homecoming

This was good. I'm not particulary fond of Spiderman as a character, but I liked how it incorporated elements from other more bombastic Marvel movies, while still being a bit more grounded. Michael Keaton was excellent as the villain, and he felt like the second best villain in the series after Loki. 

It didn't break the top trio of Marvel movies for me (Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers), but it's close to them. Better then the two most recent ones I've seen, Dr. Strange and Guardians of the Galaxy 2. 

The Disaster Artist 

No rating. No review. No bull. See the damn movie, it is worth your time and money and then some.

Your Name is just a stunningly well made film. I wish it could be nominated for Best Picture, but that's never going to happen.

Dunkirk

I'm usually hesitant to watch war movies, and the awfull stories and situations those tell. It's something I prefer to have in documentaries. And the best movies for me are movies that I want to rewatch, over and over again, which is something difficult for war movies. 

But this was 5/5. 

It constantly balanced between heroism and tragedy, and between truly horrific scenes and impressive views. This is what I want high production value movies to be, that they to their best extent replicates realism, instead of missguided overblown mixes between confusing viewpoints and cameraviews and unrealistic CGI sequences.  

This didn't lean to much into action, and the mix of viewpoints air, land and sea worked very well. The flight sequences are among my favorite scenes in any movies. 

Before I Wake

Loved it. Mike Flanagan is on his way to being the next John Carpenter.

Thank God this movie got pulled from purgatory. Hell, it was supposed to come out in 2013.

On 12/5/2017 at 4:29 AM, Leroy Octopus said:

Your Name is just a stunningly well made film. I wish it could be nominated for Best Picture, but that's never going to happen.

Well thank you kindly.  I do have a fine name indeed.

The Last Jedi

Absolute gubbins.  It's shocking to me that Kathleen Kennedy green-lighted Rian Johnson's completely inept and horrendously written script.  Let's delve into this, shall we...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poe is making with the 'yo Mamma' jokes in a galaxy far, far away.  Is this secretly a sequel to Spaceballs?!

Luke drinks milk from his wife's udders?!

Force ghosts can summon lightning; boy, that sure would have been helpful in the original trilogy but I guess Yoda and Obi-Wan were too busy washing their ghostly hair, to help take down the Emperor?!

Who let a reject character from the prequels wonder on set and then encouraged her to sing opera?!

The events of The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi take place across a few days and yet Rey is already using the force to lift a massive pile of boulders, with hardly any training?!

Finn jumps out of the screen, lambasts me for taking peyote and then punches me?!

Ramming light-speed?!

"Salt" and "crystal critters"?!

Why does Luke force project himself as a younger man, is he that vain?!

Why am I forever blowing bubbles?!

Snoke dies; what a waste of a now pointless character?!

That last one was a statement, not a question, so why did I end it with a question and exclamation mark?!

Rose?!

Violet haired woman?!

Red?!

Blue?!

Do a poo?!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 cute, fluffy owl-gerbils designed to sell plush toys out of 10 - Best movie of all time.

At least he made an effort and gave us that epic scene of Chewie eating those annoying little porgs. Or about to.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Noname215 said:

At least he made an effort and gave us that epic scene of Chewie eating those annoying little porgs. Or about to.

Yes but it meant having to endure that most egregious of all of the porg shots; the visual of an animal acting in a very anthropomorphic way, welling up with sadness.  That was pure Puss in Boots from Shrek 2.  It works in Shrek 2 because it's an animated kid's flick but it was completely out of place within the Star Wars universe.

Edited by Right Said Brett
A gaggle of Munchkins from the Lollipop Guild made me do it. They're surprisngly intminidating when they form in numbers.

At least it wasn't as by the numbers as Force Awakens. It tried new stuff even if most fans didn't agree with them. Colin Trevorrow probably would have just been even more paint by numbers with his had he stayed on.

Apparently one of the reason Trevorrow left was because he wanted a non-Force Ghost Luke Skywalker and more General Snoke, but honestly I'm more interested in Kylo being uprgraded from lackey to big dog. 

8 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

At least it wasn't as by the numbers as Force Awakens. It tried new stuff even if most fans didn't agree with them. Colin Trevorrow probably would have just been even more paint by numbers with his had he stayed on.

I hear a lot of people saying that Johnson 'subverted expectations'.  Well, yeah; he subverted my expectation of a good movie.

Apparently one of the reason Trevorrow left was because he wanted a non-Force Ghost Luke Skywalker and more General Snoke, but honestly I'm more interested in Kylo being uprgraded from lackey to big dog. 

To each their own.  Personally, I absolutely feel that Luke shouldn't have died until Episode IX and as for Snoke, well, him dying in The Last Jedi means that it was pointless to have even created that character in the first place and highlights just how disjointed this sequel trilogy already is.

LETHAL WEAPON 1 and 2

My first time through either movie. It's probably bad that I can identify so much with a character Mel Gibson played, huh? Kinda wish they'd let Riggs die at the end of 2. Also, it's so obvious Cowboy Bebop wouldn't exist without Lethal Weapon. They're so similar in tone and Riggs is such an obvious inspiration on Spike Spiegel. 

5 hours ago, Noname215 said:

@Right Said Brett Have you seen Blade Runner 2049

Of course.  My arse is still sore from watching that snooze fest at the cinema.  Luckily, I'm rather partial to a sore arse but the less said about that, the better.

10 Harrison Ford's actually making an effort and not phoning it in out of 10 - Best movie from throughout the entire history of cinema.

I thought it was better than I expected. I initially anticipated generic sequel BS that redoes everything from the first, so I was happy to see they didn't do that.

6 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

I thought it was better than I expected. I initially anticipated generic sequel BS that redoes everything from the first, so I was happy to see they didn't do that.

It could have been a lot worse, that's for sure.  I liked it well enough, I suppose.  Ultimately though, I find it rather telling that I haven't felt the need to watch it for a second time or buy the Blu-Ray, despite having a framed poster for the first film, adorning my living room wall.

It still sticks in my head, though most of what does most vividly is everything Harrison Ford had to work with. 

6 minutes ago, Secret Fawful said:

It still sticks in my head, though most of what does most vividly is everything Harrison Ford had to work with. 

I very much like the scene with the Elvis hologram flickering in and out of existence, with the music stopping and starting.  However, the most memorable and engaging scene for me, was the opening scene with Dave Bautista.  For an ex-wrestler, that man has surprisingly excellent acting chops.

The scene between Deckard and Jared Leto's character was it for me. Ford really put in the acting and that scene is rough stuff. I also really like the Elvis scene.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Secret Fawful said:

The scene between Deckard and Jared Leto's character was it for me. Ford really put in the acting and that scene is rough stuff.

It's certainly moving when Rachael initially enters the room and Harrison Ford absolutely gives the best performance that he's given in a long time, during that scene.  Jared Leto's performance irks me though.  I know that it's arguably an actors job, to an extent, to be pretentious but I find it difficult to take a pretentious leg of ham seriously.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it's very odd that there's no kind of resolution with Jared Leto's character.  I suspect that Denis Villeneuve was sequel baiting, which is something that bothers me, if there's no guarantee of a sequel because otherwise you're potentially left with an unsatisfying and incomplete story.

Generally speaking, I believe that filmmakers should tell a complete story and worry about creating a sequel narrative, if and when they cross that particular bridge.  Even if it wasn't done out of sequel baiting, it's still a very odd and unsatisfying way to end the story, in my opinion and considering that Blade Runner 2049 was a financial flop, I guess that we'll never know what happened to the main antagonist.

Edited by Right Said Brett

I don't think it was sequel baiting. Leto lost. He didn't get what he wanted. That's all Villeneuve was interested in with him I think. It was the death of his ego.

9 hours ago, Secret Fawful said:

I don't think it was sequel baiting. Leto lost. He didn't get what he wanted. That's all Villeneuve was interested in with him I think. It was the death of his ego.

To be fair, I suppose that there wouldn't have been much point in gauging his eyes out, à la Tyrell in the first film, seeming as he was already blind.  Having said that, losing his ego seems like a relatively minor punishment.  I mean, I lost my ego years ago and I was only ever half the megalomaniac that Niander Wallace was.