Sign in to follow this  
tiffuts

Last Movie you watched...

16 minutes ago, Right Said Brett said:

To be fair, I suppose that there wouldn't have been much point in gauging his eyes out, à la Tyrell in the first film, seeming as he was already blind.  Having said that, losing his ego seems like a relatively minor punishment.  I mean, I lost my ego years ago and I was only ever half the megalomaniac that Niander Wallace was.

Losing his ego, I feel, would probably be the death of his existence to him. I don't think I'm giving the film more credit than it deserves, mainly because a lot of great sci-fi lets you fill in the blanks. I'm a genius and intellectually brilliant, so therefore I fill in the blanks in a way that makes the movie smarter.

3 minutes ago, Secret Fawful said:

I'm a genius and intellectually brilliant, so therefore I fill in the blanks in a way that makes the movie smarter.

You forgot 'modest'.

I too like filling in the blanks in film but the film has to make me invested within its story and world, to do that.  Blade Runner 2049 left me cold.  The first film has a wonderfully grimy and claustrophobic atmosphere.  It's a world that I just want to drown in.  The world of the sequel is pretty much the opposite; clinical and sparse.  It does nothing for me and the narrative fails to lubricate the gears of my imagination.

To each his own. It did the opposite for me. I thought it was insanely emotive and nightmarish, actually. Just not the sort of world we want to live in, and one we're moving all too close to.

3 minutes ago, Secret Fawful said:

I thought it was insanely emotive and nightmarish, actually. Just not the sort of world we want to live in, and one we're moving all too close to.

Yeah but flying eye robots!

10 minutes ago, Right Said Brett said:

Yeah but flying eye robots!

Go watch Ready Player One and you'll come back begging Villeneuve in tears for more.

2 minutes ago, Secret Fawful said:

Go watch Ready Player One...

Never!  I fundamentally despise that novel/movie at a conceptual level.  I want to flush every last 'member berry down the toilet.

That's what I thought. I'm glad you see it MY way.

Posted (edited)

I liked the movie for Spielberg's skills as an action director. It had a kinetic feel that he brought over from Tintin. All the book does is whine.

What did you guys think of that really trippy sex scene with Joi and Mariette

Edited by Noname215

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

What did you guys think of that really trippy sex scene with Joi and Mariette

That was disconcerting as all heck and tens kinds of wrong.  I loved it.

Edited by Right Said Brett

It's one of the best scenes in sci-fi film. And yeah, Ready Player One is a really well-made movie I'll probably never watch again because I just don't like the concept. And no Monkey Island reference? Pfft. Come on.

It had too much of a fairy tale feel for my liking.

Sucks, because I appreciated the 30 Aliens references.  Okay, so it was more like 5.

4 hours ago, Johro said:

It had too much of a fairy tale feel for my liking.

Sucks, because I appreciated the 30 Aliens references.  Okay, so it was more like 5.

See, even as an Alien fan, that makes me roll my eyes.  I can't imagine ever watching this movie.  Actually that's a lie, as I'm sure that I'll give it a hate-watch when it crops up on TV.  Whereas, I'll be hate-watching Indiana Jones V at the cinema, front row, popcorn in hand.

I think Indy V will be good. Spielberg didn't even want to do IV, but now he has something to prove, and Tintin was incredible.

Posted (edited)

Solo: A Star Wars Story

I've finished watching the movie and overall it was better than I had expected.  It certainly went some way towards washing the bad taste of Rogue One and The Last Jedi from my mouth.  Having said that, it's still very much a Disney-era Star Wars movie.

Solo is overly long, inconsequential and features a plot with incredibly low stakes (the MacGuffin is dull, dull, dull).  One professional review said that it feels like an extended pilot for a TV series and that statement is bang on the money.  It's very unsatisfying in how it doesn't feel like a self-contained movie; it leaves a few key plot threads dangling as a means to setting up a sequel.

I very much liked the main antagonist, played by Paul Bettany.  I'm ambivalent in regards to the droid character, L3.  Donald Glover was decent but is given little to do.  Alden Ehrenreich was alright but he sure as heck ain't no Harrison Ford and aside from one particularly ballsy (and Special Edition shunting) moment towards the end, the character felt neutered.

The soundtrack is excellent, just as it was when I first heard it in the original trilogy (there's a lot of reuse of John Williams' score in this).

Spoiler

The Darth Maul cameo makes absolutely no sense in the context of the story and I don't know why it's there, other than shameless fan service.

There's a ridiculously on the nose Western scene and some of the dialogue was eye-rollingly self-referential to lines from the original (and better) movies...

"Move along, move along."

"Flyboy."

"They don't even serve our kind here."

"I hate you."  "I know."

There's also a recreation of the "my hands are dirty" scene from The Empire Strikes Back, complete with the kiss being interrupted by C3PO/Beckett.

6/10

Edited by Right Said Brett

And now James Mangold is doing Boba Fett

13 hours ago, Noname215 said:

And now James Mangold is doing Boba Fett

Supposedly.  It wouldn't surprise me if Disney are now reassessing their plans for the future of Star Wars, following the dismal box-office performance of Solo.

Posted (edited)

Took the family to see The Avengers Infinity War for my son's birthday last week. The ending was blown for me, but dang was it an enjoyable movie. Not perfect, but it was always gripping at every turn. Great humour, fantastic action (best in all the MCU IMO), each character was handled authentically to their movies. My only complaint was that

Cap and Bucky did next to nothing. Bucky didn't even use his arm. Boo.

But bravo anyway. What an event. This was the cultural event that Star Wars should have been. I wasn't even into the MCU as I was never a Marvel kid (was more into Batman and Superman, though Spiderman too). I was actually looking forward more to the Amazing Spiderman movies before they stopped short. But we took the kids through each of the MCU films and I gradually got more into them. Now I'm hooked.

Edited by MusicallyInspired

I just rewatched Hardcore Henry - a 100% first-person action movie. It really leans into the video game feel, has a variety of impressive stunts, parkour and action sequences, and is smart enough to keep the story interesting through variety, a short runtime and an amazing performance by Sharlto Copley. (This does also include a tendency to revel in the violence (and a little bit of nudity), but nothing too extreme.)

The Star is born. sad movie and all the girls in the cinema cried

Johnny English Strikes Again. so stupid, but really funny and this feature is a highlight :)

also, I've rewatched the dreamers. this is a classic for me