Sign in to follow this  
tiffuts

Last Movie you watched...

hay one thing first, i thought that the rumar about a Death Note movie being made in hollywood was only a rumar...

How was it compared to the original?

I remember watching the original version way back and I liked it alot. I'm wondering how this one is compared to it.

Ahh, okay. Well, if you get a chance to, watch it. The original is a bit corney, but a classic scifi, non the less.

Anyways, knowing the remake turned out pretty good is nice to know!

Ahh, okay. Well, if you get a chance to, watch it. The original is a bit corney, but a classic scifi, non the less.

Anyways, knowing the remake turned out pretty good is nice to know!

Yet it did not. It is, without question, one of the worst films I have ever seen.

Mind you, everyone, this is Masq who's saying this. Masq, who's extremely high expectations almost always color his critiques with disappointment.

Seriously man, you should come with a disclaimer "WARNING! May Have Strong Negative Opinions of Most Things."

Yeah... I pegged you.

Despite my joke at Masq's Expense. I don't think it looks that good. The dialogue seems forced and cheesy in the trailers. And the end of the world visual effects look like the standard affair. Did the world learn nothing from Cloverfield? Now there's a B movie with A movie quality.

well, compared to the original, the remake sucked...it took the purpose of the movie, and turned it into an action movie...pretty much, dont watch if you have seen the original because you will be pissed.

Last movie I watched on DVD was The Dark Knight

Last movie I watched in a theater was Frost/Nixon.

I list them both because I can't remember which I watched last xD

I want to watch Frost/Nixon so much!! D:

(OH snap, they turned The Day the Earth Stood Still into a diffrent genera? NEIN! Oh well, figures)

interesting...i might check it out...is it only in selected theatres cus i dont have it at my theatre

Mind you, everyone, this is Masq who's saying this. Masq, who's extremely high expectations almost always color his critiques with disappointment.

Seriously man, you should come with a disclaimer "WARNING! May Have Strong Negative Opinions of Most Things."

Yeah... I pegged you.

Despite my joke at Masq's Expense. I don't think it looks that good. The dialogue seems forced and cheesy in the trailers. And the end of the world visual effects look like the standard affair. Did the world learn nothing from Cloverfield? Now there's a B movie with A movie quality.

Heh, the gall of you. I would not say my expectations are high (or even existent) as I rarely approach anything with serious preconceptions of what it should be. If I enjoy it - great, if I do not - then I shall give reason for my disliking it.

Superman Returns: excellent casting on part of Superman/Clark Kent. Though I did not care much for the special effects, the boy's plot or what I can only assume was meant to be an 'ironic' performance from Spacey. However, I did like the skeleton of the plot.

i feel the same about superman returns masq....good idea of a story...i really just wish they would change the villain, superman has too many villains to have to keep going back to lex luther (i know he is sup's MAIN supervillain, but come on, a bizarro movie wouldnt hurt)

I have yet to see the remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still, but I have heard some really horrible things. So I have to re-state my previous opinion as to wondering why they decided to remake that film in the first place? I think the original still stands strong today. It's not like it had parts or ideas that would benefit from being remade today. I don't think that many people really know about the original (except for us nerds), so it's not like they have a huge automaitc audience there. They could never please us nerds anyways so why bother? AND, there are soooo many other origianl and new sci-fi ideas out there that could work. I just found it silly that they spent the money buying the the name of the movie that they care nothing about. But w/e's. I guess that's Hollywood, right?I want to make some remarks why I think War of the Worlds was at least passable, but I've ranted enough.

Superman Returns. What.Were.They.Thinking? The strongest most powerful superhero ever, with no-one to punch. He just stalks people, and is sad. So botched. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight give me hope that if comic book movies might have some future.

Oh, and I just watched Fargo. Pretty good. And apologizes again for my nerd ranting.

The only thing I want remade is the prequel trilogy. Minus Jar Jar, lame Anakin and George Lucas. Oh and I almost forgot: Fucking Metachlorians! Wasn't the force magic in the first three movies? Oh look a scientific explanation. Thank You for ruining my "Fantasy in my Sci-fi" Reese's Cup Lucas.

When I saw The Day the Earth Stood Still I knew I heard the name before. I thought it was a book, I didn't know it was movie, but I knew it wasn't original. I thought the ideas in the movie were really cool, I hated the kid in the movie (I think it was Will Smith's son). SPOILERS: I thought the ideas about the aliens trying to save Earth by killing humans was a really cool idea, and I thought the special effects were pretty cool. That being said, I can definetely see how an older movie can have the exact same effect on people and how this movie could be worse than an old original.

Ballz, the idea of mankind being wiped out for the sake of a planet is not an original idea. Yet the execution and script within the remake were nigh on abysmal.

The original was set during the cold war and was a commentary upon the destructive tendencies of man. The holocaust had wiped 17 million people from the face of the planet, yet even after such tragic loss we had learned nothing, as the Cold War followed shortly thereafter. The threat of all out nuclear war was something that many struggled to understand and Klattu reflected that confusion and gave them an ultimatum.

Remakes are essentially an easy means of cashing in upon the fans of the old films; and Sci Fi fans are incredibly easy to draw in to theaters.

Pee Wee's big adventure... I stopped watching it, but my mom kept it on so I started playing my PSP...

Ballz, the idea of mankind being wiped out for the sake of a planet is not an original idea. Yet the execution and script within the remake were nigh on abysmal.

The original was set during the cold war and was a commentary upon the destructive tendencies of man. The holocaust had wiped 17 million people from the face of the planet, yet even after such tragic loss we had learned nothing, as the Cold War followed shortly thereafter. The threat of all out nuclear war was something that many struggled to understand and Klattu reflected that confusion and gave them an ultimatum.

Remakes are essentially an easy means of cashing in upon the fans of the old films; and Sci Fi fans are incredibly easy to draw in to theaters.

Sadly, it is so, I saw all three prequel films in the theater. Why can't I learn?

I'm really really looking forward to Star Trek. That's gonna be good I think.

Also Race to Witch Mountain. Which is kind of a remake, kind of not... its hard to explain. But it scores for looking cheesy and exciting at the same time. Which is exactly what I get from the original. By chance anyone here seen the trailer for that?

And finally.... I have to wait two years but FINALLY! Tron 2.0 is coming. And both Jeff Bridges and Bruce Boxleitner are coming back! So... That's pretty much my top film of the next decade right now. Well Except that King of the Elves and Rapunzel are, coming in the next decade too so.... They're not Sci-Fi though.

You stopped watching it because you couldn't handle the terror of Large Marge. ;)

My older brother loves that movie. xD

Oh Lord please don't remind me of that.

Don't lie, I know you love that. Especially 1:20 in the video! :D

Ohh, how these movies corrupted so many children!

You stopped watching it because you couldn't handle the terror of Large Marge. ;)

My older brother loves that movie. xD

Oh Lord please don't remind me of that.

Don't lie, I know you love that. Especially 1:20 in the video! :D

Ohh, how these movies corrupted so many children!

She's coming for you.

You know, Vanitas, I think you may actually be fairly intrested in

movie. It seems like something that you of all people would enjoy.

I can see how the original was effective. The remake was about the aliens trying to kill humans and undo cities to stop global warming so they made an arc with all the animals on earth. Whether it is a new idea or not, it seemed fresh enough to me that I enjoyed pondering it.

Tonight I watched the original Planet of the Apes. It was way better than the remake. Especially the way they showed the statue at the end and then left the audience hanging. It might have been a B movie but I thought it was brilliant. It was definetely a movie to leave one thinking.

lulz...movie rants....anywho, i stopped going to see any disney movie that isnt pixar (except for bedtime stories--have to see it cus it happy madison, seemed kinda dumbed down for the kids though) since sky high. Witch mountain is going to be average at best...and god i hope tron is going to be good, but Star Trek looks too melo dramatic for me (something about writers using destiny too much makes me uneasy)