Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tiffuts

Last Movie you watched...

Jackass is a very underrated series. I feel no guilt for the pleasure I take in it. I get what you're saying though. Still if it does work, I want to see a Party Boy movie.

Jackass always reminds of the skateboard days, listening to DEVO, eating tons of Nutella and all the injuries from skating, braking with all your body parts and having fun...hey Julian, hope you're doing fine!

Finally saw Back to the Future. It was about time.

I see what you did there.

I first saw BTTF when I was very young, probably about 6. It's always been one of my favorite movies.

Clever. I've seen them all many times and I've been trying to get my wife to see them as well. We don't often watch movies together though; usually just series. It would be cool if someone made a good BttF adventure game in the same vein as Time Gentlemen, Please!.

So I just watched Strange Days, which is a 90s sci-fi movie by Kathryn Bigelow (Point Break, Hurt Locker). It's funny seeing the visions of the future they had in the 90s. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, since it has some super disturbing scenes including a

rape/murder

. Unlike some games though (Suda51... yes I enjoy complaining about him) I feel like there's a point to having that much violence in there.

Yet the ending completely screws up in just the opposite way of Pacific Rim, funnily enough. Whereas Pacific Rim constructed a completely conventional relationship between its two main characters and then decided not to follow through with a kiss, Strange Days builds an unconventional relationship that would have been more interesting without a kiss. There's a woman who's in love with a guy, and he's in love with another woman. Yet the first two still share a friendship and even though she knows he's not going to love her they're still best pals and they understand each other. It's cool. It makes sense. But then, wham, right at the end. A big, close-up, slo-mo, completely unnecessary kiss. God. Hollywood should just send me early copies of their movies from now on and I'll tell them go/no go on the kiss.

Ok even though you guys probably don't care and you're never going to actually watch this movie I'm going to tell you about the coolest scene. It's Cool.

The guy's name is Lenny, and he loves a woman named Faith. Faith doesn't love him. The woman who loves Lenny is named Lornette, who was a waitress that decided to become a kung-fu bodyguard and take on the nickname 'Mace' because it's a gritty cyberpunk movie, ok?

So Faith gets captured and Lenny wants to go save her. Mace says no because she's too damn smart to walk into an obvious trap. So Lenny asks her, "Have you ever really loved someone who didn't love you back?" And for a moment you wonder if he's completely oblivious and doesn't realize that Mace loves him. Then you remember that Mace has been putting herself in dangerous situations to help him out for the first half of the movie. You realize he's appealing to the fact that she loves him and that her love for him is the same as his love for Faith. Empathizing on a really deep level here. He's not manipulating her feelings because she knows exactly what he's saying. And she accepts it. And so she helps him. It's like a transitive relation. Loving the person that the person you love loves. It's complicated. It's beautiful. And then it dies, because Hollywood suits love killing beautiful things. Oh well.

also, i know this sort of situation has happened in plenty of other movies (warning, tv tropes link). what i think makes this more special for me than other examples is how aware both parties are of the situation and how they both understand and openly accept it before they actually go on the big final mission.

Ok even though you guys probably don't care and you're never going to actually watch this movie I'm going to tell you about the coolest scene. It's Cool.

The guy's name is Lenny, and he loves a woman named Faith. Faith doesn't love him. The woman who loves Lenny is named Lornette, who was a waitress that decided to become a kung-fu bodyguard and take on the nickname 'Mace' because it's a gritty cyberpunk movie, ok?

So Faith gets captured and Lenny wants to go save her. Mace says no because she's too damn smart to walk into an obvious trap. So Lenny asks her, "Have you ever really loved someone who didn't love you back?" And for a moment you wonder if he's completely oblivious and doesn't realize that Mace loves him. Then you remember that Mace has been putting herself in dangerous situations to help him out for the first half of the movie. You realize he's appealing to the fact that she loves him and that her love for him is the same as his love for Faith. Empathizing on a really deep level here. He's not manipulating her feelings because she knows exactly what he's saying. And she accepts it. And so she helps him. It's like a transitive relation. Loving the person that the person you love loves. It's complicated. It's beautiful. And then it dies, because Hollywood suits love killing beautiful things. Oh well.

also, i know this sort of situation has happened in plenty of other movies (warning, tv tropes link). what i think makes this more special for me than other examples is how aware both parties are of the situation and how they both understand and openly accept it before they actually go on the big final mission.

I like that take on a relationship. I'm gonna have to play with it. Also i might have to look into that movie. It sounds pretty good.

Funny- never thought I would ever hear about the movie Strange Days again. I thought it was a really so-so movie back in the day, but hot- your explanation of it makes it seem so much more sophisticated- even with the predictable kiss finish. I loved how in the movie's prediction of the future, it was considered legit for women to wear skimpy panties out in public. If history is any lesson, I guess I could see where they were coming from. Anyways, I actually still remember the weird trailer for the movie back in the day. You can probably find it on YouTube. It consisted of nothing but a close-up of Ralph Fiennes in front of a white background with selected words displayed and him giving a spiel like a drug pusher. Guess it was certainly effective advertising if I remember it after all these years.

@Bidiot Bales: Guess I should check out The World's End then- everyone's been saying good things about it.

about to watch "The Broken Circle Breakdown" It's a Belgian movie about Love, Life and death, religion, and bluegrass music

Funny- never thought I would ever hear about the movie Strange Days again. I thought it was a really so-so movie back in the day, but hot- your explanation of it makes it seem so much more sophisticated- even with the predictable kiss finish. I loved how in the movie's prediction of the future, it was considered legit for women to wear skimpy panties out in public. If history is any lesson, I guess I could see where they were coming from. Anyways, I actually still remember the weird trailer for the movie back in the day. You can probably find it on YouTube. It consisted of nothing but a close-up of Ralph Fiennes in front of a white background with selected words displayed and him giving a spiel like a drug pusher. Guess it was certainly effective advertising if I remember it after all these years.

@Bidiot Bales: Guess I should check out The World's End then- everyone's been saying good things about it.

it is kind of a so-so movie. not saying it's a super hidden gem or anything. it's just that it had that one aspect that i really found interesting.

now that i think about it i also liked how it was just two racist cops and a crazy guy behind everything. there was no high-level conspiracy to kill the outspoken rapper. the police commissioner turned out to be a cool and not-racist guy. cue perfect happy ending. ha.

The Broken Circle Breakdown looks really interesting. I think it's interesting to see what America means to an outsider. Though it also looks really depressing...

Finally saw Back to the Future. It was about time.

You are so lucky to have seen that for the first time. I wish I could go back and watch it again with fresh eyes... Not that it suffers from repeated viewings.

Thanks, I had a lot of fun!

This week I finally saw Ghostbusters. :) I think they must be re-releasing a bunch of old movies in theaters or something.

ok this is a movie that isn't out yet but i think it looks cool:

i like these kinds of stories that have AIs that don't immediately go all hal 9000 or glados but they do present more real, life problems. reminds me of s1m0ne, if anyone's seen that. what if the machines don't go rogue and try to kill us all but instead just struggle to find their place in society just like everyone else? if homosexual and transgendered people have a difficult go at it nowadays, think about how rough it'll be for the AIs. imagine future fox news. ha ha. yikes.

ok this is a movie that isn't out yet but i think it looks cool:

i like these kinds of stories that have AIs that don't immediately go all hal 9000 or glados but they do present more real, life problems. reminds me of s1m0ne, if anyone's seen that. what if the machines don't go rogue and try to kill us all but instead just struggle to find their place in society just like everyone else? if homosexual and transgendered people have a difficult go at it nowadays, think about how rough it'll be for the AIs. imagine future fox news. ha ha. yikes.

It's something that we're struggling with even now as we get closer to developing an AI. We are beginning to consider how we are going to treat these new people. What their rights should be and the unique challenges we'll face with them. And there's advocates for machine intelligence already. A notable one is Janelle Monae who has dedicated her music career to telling the story of a subjugated machine race. She's amazing. And Questionable Content takes place in an alternate world where AI is an emerging minority. Most of their rights are already in place (it's a very optimistic comic) but there's a lot of thought that's gone into why they have rights and what they are and where there are gaps.

Anyways Her looks sweet, I'm curious to see where it'll go. One question I had of this movie that relates to AI rights was: Does Phoenix's character own Samantha? It appears to me that she's every bit a person in the trailer but is that reflected in her relationship with Pheonix as a service? She seems to have been custom generated for a him. But can she exist apart from him? Would she like any person be allowed to divorce herself from his presence or is her entire existance dependant on helping him? If she can leve where does she go? This is the kind of stuff these sorts of stories need to tackle because AI isn't an if but a when. And it's better to avoid the pitfalls of our past now by thinking ahead than later on having to figure it out when people are suffering because we didn't bother to think about consquences.

Wow! Really impressed with that trailer. It's been forever since I've been actually interested in a movie romance. I might go so far as to say... this might be the first time! I'm not even a big AI buff normally, but a movie that explores the limits of means to be human and all that deep stuff is just riveting. Daaaang.

Saw Red 2 with my brother on Tuesday. In my opinion, it was better than the first film despite

despite Morgan Freeman's character dying in the first film and not being present in the sequel.

John Malcovich's character and the Asian Guy really got me into the film, and I wasn't surprised that

Anthony Hopkins' character was the villain.

Re: Hot's trailer of Her- hmm.. ordinarily I'm not that interested in seeing movies like that, but Spike Jonze made it so now I'm curious.

Re: Ronin - I enjoyed that movie, but it was so hyped up by what I heard that by the time I did see it, it seemed only alright. Same for the movie Layer Cake.

So I saw The Wolverine this weekend- it was entertaining. Could have been better at parts. Somewhat of a spoiler:

I think the best part though was the surprise after the credits.

Can't wait for Kick Ass 2 and Ender's Game to come out!

I think comic book movies having scenes after the credits is so much of a norm that using spoiler tags for that of all things is silly.

True dat. But my comment was actually concerning the content of the scene rather than its inclusion which I think is pretty much assumed now with Marvel movies.

On another note, I have been watching a lot of Batman stuff recently: been rewatching some old episodes of The Animated Series, and then this weekend watched the entire Nolan Dark Knight trilogy. IMO, Christian Bale makes a better Bruce Wayne than he does a Batman- or maybe it's just that horrible raspiness to his voice. I dunno why but the Batman costume just never seems right on him for some reason. It's like the mask is too tight which makes his cheeks bulge out like a muffin top. Other than that superficial detail though, I really liked the trilogy as a whole. Liam Neesom made an awesome Ra's Al Ghul and Tom Hardy did a fantastic Bane. All these movies portrayal of terrorism somewhat annoys me, but that's really neither here nor there.

After all of the Batman and Wolverine I saw this weekend, I feel like I should watch The Prestige to top it off.

Trance, on the whole okayish, some aspects/moments are good whilst others are messed up, not as good as Trainspotting, Slumdog Millionaire or Sunshine but there's some good music.

Sign in to follow this