Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tiffuts

Last Movie you watched...

Moonrise Kingdom

I really like Wes Andersons movies, but I felt I didn't get this one. There were of course many greats scenes, but I felt that the plot was weak, and that he tried to hard this time. The characters were strange for the sake of being strange. It was ok, but not great.

The Expendables - 5/10

I really thought I'd like this film, but unlike Red - which I absolutely adore - this just feels like a bunch of ideas randomly thrown together with no cohesion or semblance of structure.

Plot elements come and go (Jason Statham's love interest sub-plot is given two scenes and is then thrown out the window without any sort of proper conclusion), the character development is half-hearted and badly written, the action is choppy and hard to follow, the bad guys make no freakin' sense - hell, the henchmen are interchangeable blocks of muscle - and the whole thing feels like little more than build-up to some big explosions.

Ugh. I want those 90 minutes back.

My Little Pony: Equestria Girls - 7/10

This was much better than I thought it would be. They managed to tie it into the end of the third season well, and all of the ponies having teenage human counterparts wasn't as much of an eye-rolling moment as I thought it would be. I thought it would be a side story, but I really liked that it ended up fitting right into the main storyline. I liked that they touched on the issues of Twilight

now being a princess and having wings

, but left it open enough that season four can talk about those issues without making Equestria Girls a must watch before hand. For something that is clearly a cash-in to sell a new line of toys, this was actually pretty decent. I wouldn't mind seeing a television episode of the main series revisiting the alternate world some time.

A Hijacking by Tobias Lindholm who also was the co-writer for the also great film The Hunt.

Finally got to see Seven Psychopaths this weekend, and was pleasantly entertained. Although I thought In Bruges was better, seeing all those big names together was a lot of fun. Can't wait to see what else McDonagh has up his sleeves.

@Fhqwhgads: I have a Kubrick collection as well. Mine did not include Lolita and I have never seen it, but it doesn't sound all that great from what you described. I've also separately purchased Dr. Strangelove to add to it.

A friend of mine streamed The Warriors last night. I've seen it plenty of times before, but it was still really fun to watch it again.

Wallace and Gromit Curse of the Were-Rabbit 10/10

Wallace and Gromit is a national treasure and is the greatest thing ever produced by Britain...

@Fhqwhgads: I have a Kubrick collection as well. Mine did not include Lolita and I have never seen it, but it doesn't sound all that great from what you described. I've also separately purchased Dr. Strangelove to add to it.

Maybe this is the one you own?

10.jpg

I got that one for my birthday a while back. It's nice enough, but it's obviously missing The Killing, Paths of Glory and Dr. Strangelove to be a really good collection.

Now that I think about it, I think I might also have a three movie collection that includes The Killing. I'll have to check on that when I get home from work.

To whoever mentioned Wallace and Gromit: Curse of Wererabbit *bro fist*

Here are the Kubrick films I still have not seen to this day:

Fear and Desire (1953)

Killer's Kiss (1955)

Paths of Glory (1957)

Spartacus (1960)

Lolita (1962)

Barry Lyndon (1975)

And just because, the only Tarantino film I have not seen is Jackie Brown.

Any thoughts on these? Any one of these films is a must-see?

OK, so I've been trying to make a list of all the films I really need to get around to watching one of these days.

Here's what I've got so far:

Alien / Aliens / Alien3

Lethal Weapon 2 / 3 / 4

Mad Max / 2

Snakes on a Plane

There's loads I haven't seen (seriously - you name it, I've probably missed it), so any suggestions to add to the list would be appreciated.

So I just saw The Invention of Lying starring Ricky Gervais, and thought it was hilarious. Highly recommend it if you haven't seen it.

------------

@Secret Fawful: Ralph Fiennes is usually pretty entertaining, though I'm not a fan of most rom coms and that right there looks kind of stale.

Re the Alien franchise: I actually liked 1, 2, and 3 (the third one apparently has audiences split with some people absolutely hating it while others love it. I fall in the latter). And get this- I even thought part 4 Alien Resurrection was pretty entertaining, though not great. It was more just something cool to see, but my mind has somewhat set it aside as something not necessarily canon but an interesting fan-fic. Also, to me: the Aliens vs Predator franchise never happened at least in live-action movie form. The only Predator that I consider gold would be the first one with Aunold, with so-so nods to the 2nd one with Danny Glover.

@Bookdust: yeah I thought Into Darkness was pretty good, though the end got really fist fight action-y. But I guess that's JJ's angle on Star Trek right?

I think I was the only person that laughed in the theater when Spock yelled out that name.

Was flipping through the channels this past weekend when I caught a bit of the movie Chronicle which got me curious enough to record the whole thing on DVR. Found it pretty interesting. Started off rather neat- but got a little disappointing near the end. Also, it was ridiculous but it was almost entirely narrated via a shaky cam a la Cloverfield and Blair Witch. For situations that made no sense for it too. Like in one scene a person is screaming for dear life while still recording everything and keeping it all in focus?! That's laughable! But other than that weird addition- the movie is at least an interesting retelling of the teen angst + superhero genre.

Technically this would be iron Man 3. 8/10, still awesome.

Am I the only one that thinks the whole 'Tony Stark relies on his awesome smarts rather than his suits' element didn't last nearly long enough? I feel the film could have been even better if they'd done a bit more with that idea. Then again, that escape scene with only bits of the suit was pretty cool, so whatever.

I just saw Gravity, very impressive visuals all round and some stunning sound design. I'll have to agree with Tim Schafer that the dialogue was corny, though I likes it like that anyway. The whole movie was really unconvential (if that's even a word) and it was a nice change of pace. Maybe an 9/10.

Technically this would be iron Man 3. 8/10, still awesome.

Am I the only one that thinks the whole 'Tony Stark relies on his awesome smarts rather than his suits' element didn't last nearly long enough? I feel the film could have been even better if they'd done a bit more with that idea. Then again, that escape scene with only bits of the suit was pretty cool, so whatever.

I really enjoyed Iron Man 3. I know some fans hated it for what it did with the Mandarin, but I don't really see how the Mandarin was an interesting character in the first place. I will say the way they had

actually be the one to beat the villian was super cheesy. Also the tease of her dying and then coming back didn't really work. They already established that she had been injected with Extremis and that people who are injected with Extremis can walk through fire, so her falling into fire has no tension to it.

Still think it was the best of the trilogy, and that it was the best Marvel film besides The Avengers.

I kind of agree that it would have been cool to have more stuff without his suit, but the movie is called Iron Man. You have to have a certain amount of Iron Man actually in it.

Yeah, I gotta say, when I heard the Mandarin was in it at first I was like "Nice, they used that Ten Rings line from the first movie and turned it into foreshadowing". And then I actually read some comics with the Mandarin in it and I realized that the character was essentially a racist caricature and even when you took that away, he wasn't that interesting of a villain for Tony Stark. I mean, Tony Stark barely seems even bothered by the guy in the comics. He just swoops in, beats him and off to the next thing. All the magic rings in the world and karate chops (even though he's apparently Chinese) do nothing vs. Iron Man.

So I was happy when they didn't use him as originally written and changed him to something more interesting. I was also happy that they used him as an opportunity to make fun of the tired "bad guy is a terrorist" spiel. I have to say, I'm sick and tired of the bad guy always being a terrorist. We need more corrupt businessmen and maybe a few members of Congress to be our villains. In fact, I hope they start using villains that we can relate to, like self-righteous people who would doom the world because they're so certain that they're right.

That would be an interesting villain for Tony Stark. Also, done the right way, it would be one that the audience would genuinely hate and want to see taken down by Iron Man.

The problem with these big budget movies is that people want fantasy and they're tailored for the American audience. First of all, with fantasy, comes the fantastic. So no, you wont get evil businessmen. Second of all, if you've followed politics and the media, you'll notice that no one wants to believe that their neighbour is a bad guy. Everything is focused on finding some connection, any connection to an outside stressor. No true sane American could possibly want to hurt another of course. It's an unsettling thought that, let's face it, most people don't want to see in their "escape" to the cinema. It's all about giving people exactly what they want and making money. Terrorism is easy because you have the outsider and you have "the stakes", which is a huge part for studios, being lives. Hollywood just cannot understand people just flat out not liking each other. There always has to be something at stake.

That's why I don't really care about these films. It's all a nice clean and tidy bow. If the first Iron Man had time to set up something outlandish, they would have, but instead used the past to tie in a current enemy nice and simply.*cough/batmanbegins/cough*

...there. I think I fixed my copious amount of spelling errors.

Sign in to follow this