Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tiffuts

Last Movie you watched...

The first Iron Man, the bad guy was a businessman. Also in the second. And the third. Which is part of why I liked the movies. Even though they all kinda hint at the same thing. Sure, they say terrorists are bad, but always the real bad guys are the traitors here at home using the terrorists to further their own ends. Basically, all three Iron Man movies were basically saying this over and over again. The most recent one got even more blatant and started bringing in politics (vice president working with corrupt businessman to use terrorists as an excuse to bring the government down).

Not sure what you're saying about the media. People have straight out started blaming the Republican Party/Tea Party for pretty much all the bad things now. A Gallup poll had the Tea Party's approval rating at a whopping 21%.

Yeah, I don't know where you're getting this idea that audiences wouldn't like the idea of taking down some rich asshole for being a rich asshole. There's overwhelming hatred for rich assholes right now.

First of all, I haven't seen Iron Man 3, but the first two did have a heavy emphasis on terrorism even if they were not the true villains.

Second, businessmen don't make for "epic" climaxes these days. Everything is trying to get bigger and better. Businessmen are more suited for dramas than action even if people hate them. Like I said, what are the stakes for a businessman? Money? That's boring. Terrorism? Well that's what got us here. Sticking it to the man doesn't make for a big budget escape film.

I wasn't implying that the media had a sole focus on terrorism, but it's a constant threat that makes for easy "stakes". Every big movie must have a price to pay these days and that's what I don't like. It's an easy out for emotion(the studio thought that people will only care if there is something major to be lost). Whatever happened to... top of my head... The Good The Bad And The Ugly. What were the stakes again in that? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. If one of them didn't reach the graveyard, nothing would have happened to them or anybody else. It was just about money and personal gain.

Can you name me one that didn't have stakes such as lives or ruin? I don't watch a lot of current films and this is an honest question.

The Adventure of TinTin comes to mind. He would have lost nothing if he just stopped investigating what happened to the Unicorn. In fact, he would have been much safer if he had. The villain wasn't out to rule the world or anything. Just take revenge for his ancestor. I'm sure there are others, but that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Iron Man 1 was a businessman using terrorists to get rid of a rival. Iron Man 2 was a businessman using a terrorist to design stuff for him to sell. And Iron Man 3 was basically a business man trying to use a fake terrorist to cover for his own mistakes (that were costing lives). Avatar was about a businessman trying to decimate a planet and the blue people who lived in it in order to turn a profit. Elysium had a whole cabal of businessmen trying to ensure that the poor people stayed poor. They're making a comeback.

Off the top of my head for no lives or ruin? Much Ado About Nothing. The whole point is everyone is getting in a tizzy about something that didn't actually happen and then realizing how dumb they were at the end. But if they hadn't, everyone would have spent the rest of their lives miserable and alone, which is a pretty severe stake. I'd also go with Django, which is basically about a guy trying to save his wife from slavery. She wouldn't have died if he'd failed (well... probably) but she would have been a slave forever, which would have sucked a lot. I guess Elysium would also qualify. I mean, the main character is just trying to get free healthcare for everyone, really. If he'd failed, they would have been in a sucky situation, but not all dead or more ruined than they already were.

But the thing is, it's hard to find movies that aren't about lives or ruin because these are things that most people fear and care about. If you want the emotional impact of the story to affect a lot of people, it should be about things that a lot of people can relate to. It isn't a new thing. I mean, watch older movies and the bogey man has shifted to Communists or Nazis or just plain old foreigners. Terrorists are the latest fad in irredeemable bad guys. I don't like these fads, but I'm not going to pretend that they're a new thing.

I know it's not new. I just think that's it's become too easy. I don't expect or want these movies to disappear entirely, but in superhero comics there are countless storylines which are solely about one on one and meaningless encounters that develop emotion. Every one of these movies has to put everybody in danger. It's tiring. If they're going to continue riding this bandwagon of comic adaptations, it needs to be changed up a bit. Iron Man was pretty good and a bit different I'll admit, but then it also falls within a Universe where the Earth is constantly under attack this past decade apparently.

It's always something special giving someone a Calvin and Hobbes comic for the first time. You can't do this without a grin/smile.

I still remember my Dad reading Calvin and Hobbes with me every night when I was younger...

Calvin and Hobbes was so special and didn't last long enough to become stale and ended at a high note

I do still love to read my Complete collection of Calvin and Hobbes shame it is pretty big and heavy...

Same. I just wish the binding was better.

I'll never regret that purchase though.

I just watched Dr Horrible's Sing Along Blog, it was pretty cool. I always like rooting for the villains. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Also I just looked up who the love-interest was because she looked familiar and it's the chick from The Guild! I forgot how much I liked that show I might have to go back and watch that now.

felicia-day2.jpeg

I saw Gravity in 3D and thought it was pretty awesome! Not much in terms of story, but it's got you gripping the edge of your seat the whole time with all the frantic calamity. I don't usually like thriller catastrophe movies- in fact, I somewhat despise them for its complete dismissal of science. But this one is done really well. Yes, there's a bunch of details they get wrong

(no astronaut just wears skimpy undergarments underneath their space suit, and the chances of a cosmic pinball catastrophe like that are pretty slim to none)

, but what they get right in terms of the physics of zero G is remarkably accurate.

Though I do want to ask a Physics professor if there was a way Clooney could have stayed tethered to Bullock and gotten to the escape capsule. I mean right after lecturing her to not give up, he kind of sounds like a hypocrite, no?

Also, just chiming in: I think it's a testament to Bill Waterson that even after all these years with C&H not being in print, it's still pulling in new readers. Simply amazing. And I totally agree- I have never met someone who does not like C&H.

Just got back from watching Thor: The Dark World with a friend! Which is a weird thing to do for Halloween night but who cares!!

Okay so I've been looking forward to this movie for a long long time so of course I loved it to bits and bits. I really want to talk about it alot but it's just opened in cinemas today and I don't think the US gets a release til' next week.

So I won't spoil it BUT here's my general view of why you might like it: Pretty much everyone gets even screen time and plays a role, but you might not like it because: it didn't feel quite as 'epic' as any of the previous Marvel movies

Just got back from watching Thor: The Dark World with a friend! Which is a weird thing to do for Halloween night but who cares!
Night? It's 1:20 in the afternoon.

I don't know where you live, but the sun is wrong there.

I WAS going to see Thor today, but it turned out there were only 3D showings, so I'm going next week instead.

Stupid 3D...

Am I the only person on the planet that likes 3D? Because I have yet to meet one person besides myself that says they like it. How is this market being supported? Is my opinion the only one Hollywood is trying to cater to?? 8Oc

Also, I saw Ender's Game. For people who loved the book, they will like the movie. For those unfamiliar with the book, I would imagine that it would seem rather light on content and rushed. The problem like with any book-to-movie adaptation is that the book has the luxury of focusing much more time on certain events- or drawing some key scenes out; while the movie has to cram everything into two hours- losing much of the intensity of the story. The movie is also limited by child acting, which although not terrible in this one; is what it is. Asa Butterfield does a pretty good job as Ender, as does Harrison Ford as Graff.

I WAS going to see Thor today, but it turned out there were only 3D showings, so I'm going next week instead.

Stupid 3D...

Am I the only person on the planet that likes 3D? Because I have yet to meet one person besides myself that says they like it. How is this market being supported? Is my opinion the only one Hollywood is trying to cater to?? 8Oc

The only reasons I don't like 3D is 1. It's super duper expensive, about twice as much as a normal ticket here and 2. Gives me a major headache

Plus glasses on top of glasses is really uncomfortable

Stupid 3D...

The only reasons I don't like 3D is 1. It's super duper expensive, about twice as much as a normal ticket here and 2. Gives me a major headache

Don't forget

3. Makes the entire movie super fucking dark

4. Makes everything not in the immediate middle of the shot blurrier than it should be

5. most movies were not shot in 3d and converted later on so they look really off just to make some extra cash

6. when a movie is shot in 3d it makes directors think they are cool by having stupid shots of things jumping at the camera which look awful for anyone watching the movie in 2d or on Bluray.

Stupid 3D...

Don't forget

3. Makes the entire movie super fucking dark

4. Makes everything not in the immediate middle of the shot blurrier than it should be

5. most movies were not shot in 3d and converted later on so they look really off just to make some extra cash

6. when a movie is shot in 3d it makes directors think they are cool by having stupid shots of things jumping at the camera which look awful for anyone watching the movie in 2d or on Bluray.

Re. #6- It's actually hilarious if you see some of those direct to DVD 3D 30 min cash-ins of popular movies which used the horrendous red-blue glasses, they are so bad it's funny, with things flying at the camera every 30 or so seconds.

The new 3D Blu Rays that come out are actually done really well. I have quite a few including Prometheus, Avengers, Paranorman, and Cars 2.

I've recently seen Thor: The Dark World, Captain Phillips, and Mama. Thor was alright- lots of stuff exploding. If you're into Marvel comics, it looks like they going to do the whole Infinity Gauntlet story arc- perhaps as the theme for the next Avengers. Mama was silly, but had a lot of fun scares in them. And Captain Phillips- was great and entertaining- that is until you read about the true story of the event and you realize that the movie really covered up a lot of the shadier stuff about the captain and how he was the one who sort of got the whole crew into that mess. Ah well- what are you going to do. Hollywood has to sell it's story as "the truth".

Sign in to follow this