Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tiffuts

Last Movie you watched...

Not the next Avengers. They don't have nearly enough Infinity stones yet and it's already been announced to be Ultron. I'd be willing to bet they'll use it for Avengers 3, though.

I'm watching the end of Donnie Darko. Edit: I just finished it. I feel like I could watch it a few more times to get a better grasp on all of the themes that they touched on. The wormhole idea and the way it was framed with him dying at the end was the type of ending that I sort of expected. Sort of predictable. I generally find movies that focus on a depressed main character not to be my cup of tea. I generally find these sorts of protagonists self-centered and hard to feel sympathetic for. However Donnie was a well-done character and the way that he was so clearly confused and making an effort to figure it out and be a good person made him an effective character and I also found him pretty easy to relate to.

Anyways there have been so many goth and emo girls that have told me I should see this movie so I can discuss it with them that I figured I should probably sit down and watch it. I liked it even though I would say it's a little over-rated.

I have actually never seen Donnie Darko before. Guess I'll add it to my ever growing watch list.

So this weekend I wasted a lot of time watching these movies:

1. White Noise - Lame I suppose but I was a little spooked at certain scenes. Ending was pretty weak though

2. White Noise 2: The Light - which I thought was awful all around. It felt low budget and was pretty much entirely unrelated to the first movie

3. Cloud Atlas - how to describe this movie? Well.. uhm.. it was interesting.. uhh- entertaining. Long. It runs just about 3 hours. Sort of a really slight spoiler:

It's got like 6 completely separate movies contained within it, and though I don't have a problem with that as the gimmick- each story feels so different it seems like it would be much better as 6 separate short movies rather than one mish-moshed big one. Like I got their overall connection and theme it was trying to express- it just seems like they were trying too hard to go for an all encompassing masterpiece, but then failed to effectively telling the story behind each individual one. Still, I'm not saying it was terrible- just lacked a coherent focus by jumping around.

It's based off the book of the same name, so I'm curious to how effective the book's narration was.

The Steve Jobs movie.

I knew that it won't be anywhere as good as Isaacson's bio but nonetheless i wanted to see it. On the bright side the film had some cool scenes. It's interesting how similar people can be but their lives go different ways already just by the fact that they are born at different places.

There's a difference between an adorable, fluffy serial killer and an eldritch monstrosity. Not much of one, but it exists.

Also, the fact that Holy Grail was a blatant comedy and Donnie Darko is a sci-fi drama. Comedy can get away with so much more in the "freaky" factor than other genres. A rotting, shambling corpse can be very scary in some situations, but as soon as that corpse starts doing a tap dance routine with a small top hat, it's lost about 90% of the fear factor.

There's really nothing freaky about Donnie Darko. You either love it or hate it, mostly based on how well you can relate to Donnie IMO. The rabbit is cool though.

I watched Melancholia tonight it was really interesting. It was really depressing on the outside but uplifting on the inside, here's the opening sequence, it will probably pique most of your curiosity:

9UkBTrFRhKk

As you can tell the world ends and a lot of the movie is about how the characters deal with it. I thought it kind of reminded me of a less funny, more cinematic Wes Andersen movie. So I guess the only thing it has in common with a Wes Andersen movie is how dry it is and how depressingly uncomfortable it can be.

Now I'm watching Atlantis for a change of pace.

The first Spider Man movie from 2001.

In Spanish.

I was too lazy to change the channel.

Hobbit 2, hmm, dunno, stretched to 2:40 hours, too many senseless comical action fighting scenes, as always tons of stupid enemies dying on your left and to your right (felt like a video game), Smaug was looking good but his voice was displaced, when Jackson invents new stuff why no puzzle games between Smaug and Bilbo, superfluous cliffhanger, ... due to that i read the books i have my own pictures in the head but it was very cool when Sauron showed up.

Frozen.

It was quite good. The snowman, Olaf, gets put in that category of characters who should by all rights be annoying as hell, but somehow manage to just be funny instead.

i did not enjoy

hobbit number two

however, i shall...

adapt in order to enjoy it

in time to come

with utmost sincerity,

-pineclone

Maniac(remake)

It's decent. In an Elijah Wood Acting Batshit Crazy sort of way. REALLY batshit crazy.

Space balls.

It was a load of balls. Seriously, it was terrible. I was very disappointed.

The Hobbit 1 on British Netflix.

Yay, proxies.

It felt a little filler-y at times, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. I should probably go see Desolation of Smaug while it's still in the cinema instead of putting it off for ages like I did for the first Hobbit film.

Tangled

This movie is superb, I don't know how I missed it but it is now my favourite ,non Pixar, Disney movie with a lovely story and great music

Probably the first time I have ever watched a good film on television at Christmas...

the desolation of smaug -- not bad. better than the first hobbit movie for sure. not sold on legolas being involved? or his boo, the redhead elf?

but i mean there was less radaghast, so i'm cool with everything.

The Front Line. Damn good movie about the Korean War. I have to admit, I've only seen this and The Man from Nowhere, but I'm really impressed with the South Korean Film Industry.

Space Balls is great, but it's the kind of humor where you have to be a fan of an older comedy style. I mean, I grew up on stuff like Marx Bros., Laurel and Hardy, Abbot and Costello... Space Balls pays a bit more of an homage to that vaudeville style of humor than more modern styles. I mean, the scene where they're watching the video of themselves is something that I could easily see Abbot and Costello doing.

Battletruck. It was an incredibly boring Road Warrior rip off. Fuck that movie and fuck my friends for suggesting it.

Walking with Dinosaurs 3D

Absolute tripe. One of the worst movies I have seen in recent years.

Worse than The Smurfs, or Planes.

Just irredeemably aweful.

Don't watch it.

Seriously it will put you into a coma. -_-

Walking with Dinosaurs 3D

Absolute tripe. One of the worst movies I have seen in recent years.

It has nothing to do with the mini-series then?

I started watching Requiem for a Dream and it was really good. Like one of those movies where you can actually understand where the characters are coming from and there's like a logical progression of events that you can see the characters bringing upon themselves as opposed to just random stuff happening to characters. Unfortunately family got here when there was like 20 minutes left and now I haven't finished it.

Sign in to follow this