Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tiffuts

Last Movie you watched...

Tron: Legacy

I liked it. One of those movies that would have been a disaster if they tried to explain everything. But they said enough about everything, not too much and not too little. Great design on everything, great soundtrack, good pace throughout the movie, Jeff Bridges is always great in everything he does. Good movie alltogether.

The Shawshank Redemption: 9/10

So great! So very very great!!

I take off a mark for the slow middle section.

I think they did this to make the audience feel the lengthy passing of time when a person does bid in jail.

Die Hard with a Vengeance

Good film (hell, great film), but it pushes the suspension of disbelief just a shade too far for my tastes. as well as having a very rushed ending.

Lord knows what I'll think of number 4...

I've only seen Die Hard 4.0 with Russian dub (which I don't understand) and no subs, but it didn't seem nearly as good as the first three. The action was pretty bland and the whole internet era plot seemed rather silly. Maybe it's better in English.

Watched the Unrated version on Die Hard 4 if possible. The theatrical version had a lot of the violence and language toned down to give a PG-13 rating. Hollywood apparently thinks people won't see an action movie if it's rated R.

I liked 4 about as much as 3. They were "okay", but I tend to either stop after 2 if I'm having a Die Hard day or watch all 4. That's right, 4. If you hated 4, give the supposed last one a shot. Ugh. It doesn't really exist to me, like Alien Resur-something.

I've not seen the fourth one yet (which is why I've been watching the others) but I HAVE seen 5, and...

It's not very good by action movie standards, and by Die Hard standards it's an absolute travesty. Avoid.

Well be prepared not to like it because I liked it more than most people. The big problem with it are two of the side characters, but what I liked about it(and a lot of people overlooked it) is that it's the 80's action hero, being an 80's action hero, in a modern action movie, versus modern action villains. The whole east meets west, which way is better. It wasn't executed overly well, but I liked what they were doing with that premise. There are good parts, there are terrible parts and yes, by the end of it, there are two characters you are going to hate(hint: one of them is Kevin Smith).

Walking with Dinosaurs 3D

Absolute tripe. One of the worst movies I have seen in recent years.

It has nothing to do with the mini-series then?

Only in name really.

The problem is, is that it is clearly a film that doesn't know WHAT it wants to do so it tries out a few different things, AND FAILS HORRIBLY.

- It has this pathetic and pointless introduction with these human children going to some archaeological dig with their uncle. One kids like "YAY! DINOSAURS!" and the other ones like "oh man this sucks..." but apparently he used to LOOOOVE dinosaurs as a kid. Then it rather clumbsily moves from that into the ACTUAL movie. (and back to it at the end)

- It tries the documentary stuff, naming all the dinosaurs in stills, and goes into explanation of one of the dinosaurs but thats it. This is NO DOCUMENTARY for sure.

- It fails as an actual movie, because the plot is so generic and the characters entirely forgettable. There's little drama, nor action, it brings nothing but tired film cliches to the table.

- It draaaagggssss ooooooooonnn. you just want this film to end so badly about half way through, and when it does end, you're like "thats it? Thats the end of the movie? I thought there was some kind of point to all this?"

Its just a half-baked pile of steaming anklyosaurus- diahorrea! I'd rather a T-rex pull out my liver and throw it up onto my face then watch this movie ever again. Its a disgrace to the suprisingly decent documentary, and an forgettable snore-fest of a movie.

Sure, there are worse films out there, but I expect better from the BBC.

The Nativity films were ok. This however, was just bad. And not even the funny kind of bad.

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!

I just want to express my gratitude that hardly anyone has spoken about Peter Jackson's latest worst Lord of the Rings fan fiction ever here. It REALLY speaks for your taste.

Last movie I watched:

Mary & Max

I loved a lot of this movie, dark humor and meaning abound, but I think I was in the wrong mood for the ending. The friend who gave this to me for X-mas is a sucker for these endings. I should have expected that. In return, I gave her what she called the perfect present... so perfect in fact that she already bought it herself. Duh. :(

Sorry to disappoint you Vianamoinen but I thought the latest hobbit movie was alright.

Quite like the action scenes. And I think, once all three films are out, they'll be a pretty good watch in succession.

I reckon the Hobbit films will be a lot better once all three are out and fan-edits start appearing that cut out a lot of the superfluous crap.

I reckon the Hobbit films will be a lot better once all three are out and fan-edits start appearing that cut out a lot of the superfluous crap.
This was also my thought while watching it, plus Vain's description of them as "fan fiction". The added scenes are /good/ fan fiction, but fan fiction nonetheless. Adding the barrel battle and the fight with Smaug does nothing to help tell the original story.

So I wait for the likes of Kerr to make a proper post-release edit.

The Hobbit started becoming okay when they got to Smaug, who was great. That CGI was worth my admission price. Wasn't sure about the random love triangle on the side. That was kinda weird. But considering the rest of my family really liked it, I can't think too hard about what I didn't like because I'm still in the doghouse for hating Star Trek: Into Darkness.

Rush Hour (on Amazon Prime Instant Video)

Very good flick. Chris Tucker's character balances very well with the over-the-top kung fu action of Jackie Chan.

I can't really get in to Jackie Chan's normal work (such as Supercop, which I thought was meh). Apparently light-hearted humor is what is lacking because I really like the Rush Hour series a lot.

Oh, to contribute to this thread, I watched Lincoln a few days ago. I enjoyed it quite a lot. So many Civil War movies focus on the fighting aspect that it was kinda cool to see the dirty politics side and the good, bad, and ugly things that happened there. That, and I'm pretty sure that Daniel Day-Lewis has locked down the role of Lincoln forever, because I'm not sure if anyone will be able to top that performance.

The Hobbit started becoming okay when they got to Smaug
I disagree. Actually that's one of the two times it ran long (the other being Legolas' fight with the orcs during the escape in the barrels).

I recall watching Transformers: Dark of the Moon (PS3's Max on Netflix talked me into it), and thinking how the battle at the end ran waaaay too long (see also: the Anakin vs. Obi Wan fight on Mustafar in Star Wars Episode III). Granted, The Hobbit movies are well acted, and those other two are not, but my point is that in the book Bilbo never shows himself to Smaug, nor do the dwarves go any further into the mountain than the hallway near the hidden door. This means that Bilbo's enounter with Smaug could have taken about as long as his encounter with Gollum did in the first Hobbit film, but instead Peter Jackson and co. decided to pad the scene with pointless action.

Anyone who read the book knows that Smaug leaves the mountain and attacks Lake Town, so taking 30 minutes to establish that he's dangerous and nigh-indestructible just comes off as boring.

I don't think it was stupid. I think it was long.

So if someone can come along post-release and trim down (aka. "fan edit") some scenes to a respectable length, it would help the film's pacing a lot.

I might again point out that I don't complain about the Star Wars prequels anymore. Many people says they're terrible but it's really all about proper editing. Peter Jackson is pulling a George Lucas with his fascination for action for its own sake and not the sake of what otherwise is a well-constructed story.

The added scenes are /good/ fan fiction, but fan fiction nonetheless. Adding the barrel battle and the fight with Smaug does nothing to help tell the original story.

Kerr's already done one ;)

Live Free or Die Hard (or Die Hard 4.0, if you want to use the stupider title)

...REALLY enjoyed this film, and a lot more than I thought I would. The action scenes were great, brutal and not the sole feature of the film (as the non-fifth one is). The acting was good, the plot JUST smart enough to work and the pacing was solid. Even thought Kevin Smith was OK.

I don't think it was stupid. I think it was long.

So if someone can come along post-release and trim down (aka. "fan edit") some scenes to a respectable length, it would help the film's pacing a lot.

I might again point out that I don't complain about the Star Wars prequels anymore. Many people says they're terrible but it's really all about proper editing. Peter Jackson is pulling a George Lucas with his fascination for action for its own sake and not the sake of what otherwise is a well-constructed story.

I should clarify that when I said this was my favorite part, I was talking more about the conversation bit. I almost forgot about the dwarf action scene after that with the giant molten gold dwarf and everything. For me, the highlight was the back and forth between Bilbo and Smaug and the giant shifting mound of coins.

Kerr's already done one ;)
Ooh! *yoink*

Thanks. :D

Also, it would appear that fanedit info is down, and there's no telling when or if it will be back up. So, when I noticed that Kerr's 6-part Lord of the Rings edit series was not on the Spleen, I went ahead and remedied that.

The added scenes are /good/ fan fiction, but fan fiction nonetheless.

I disagree with a passion - of course. ;)

Because of its utter predictability, his fan fiction could not be worse. That especially applies to bringing back a host of displaced LotR characters, who are integrated in the lamest way possible, and 'mementos' of the LotR movie trilogy, which make the Hobbit a mere decal picture of its successful, decade old predecessor.

I absolutely love a good movie adaptation which dares to jumble the elements of the book, but preserves its spirit (see: Children of Men). But Jackson's just plain unable to do that - because he's in this for all the wrong reasons.

Saw Frozen last night with my nephew for his birthday. I thought that its was great movie, nice balance of comedy and drama, great cg animation, pulse Olof is awesome. Also they had a great short of an old looking micky mouse cartoon that mixed a old looking black and white cartoon with cg animation.

Sign in to follow this