Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tiffuts

Last Movie you watched...

Stromberg, the film has one ingenious scene. Never had to laugh this intensive in a film since quite some time. Oh, and it was crowdfunded.

Watched the Ghost Busters films for the millionth times. Still great(even the second one).

"Everything you're doing is bad. I want you to know this."

Watched the Ghost Busters films for the millionth times. Still great(even the second one).

@Bidiot: Oh, awesome! I'm glad you got to see it. That's one of my favorite movies! The audio commentary on the DVD by Ramis actually gives a lot of interesting info about the movie. For one, the real Punxsutawney PA looks nothing like the town they filmed it in- it's actually just a big open field in the middle of nowhere. But strangely enough, hundreds of people go there every Feb 2nd and wait in the freezing cold weather to see a groundhog hide in a little burrow.

If only aliens could observe human behavior..

@Johro: Even though the first one was classic, I liked the second one as well. Viggo cracked me up.

Wonder if Hollywood is beneath rebooting that franchise. If so, I bet they get Seth Rogen to play Ray (Dan Aykroyd's character).

@Bidiot: Oh, awesome! I'm glad you got to see it. That's one of my favorite movies! The audio commentary on the DVD by Ramis actually gives a lot of interesting info about the movie. For one, the real Punxsutawney PA looks nothing like the town they filmed it in- it's actually just a big open field in the middle of nowhere. But strangely enough, hundreds of people go there every Feb 2nd and wait in the freezing cold weather to see a groundhog hide in a little burrow.

If only aliens could observe human behavior..

@Johro: Even though the first one was classic, I liked the second one as well. Viggo cracked me up.

Wonder if Hollywood is beneath rebooting that franchise. If so, I bet they get Seth Rogen to play Ray (Dan Aykroyd's character).

Watched Groundhog Day this morning as the first in my Harold Ramis tribute personal film festival and watched The Savages last night as the last in my Philip Seymour Hoffman tribute personal film festival. Both amazing films that are some of my favorites, for very different reasons.

Really wanted to see The Past in theaters last weekend but alas it left the theaters in Philly before I got a chance.

Watched Groundhog Day this morning as the first in my Harold Ramis tribute personal film festival and watched The Savages last night as the last in my Philip Seymour Hoffman tribute personal film festival. Both amazing films that are some of my favorites, for very different reasons.

Really wanted to see The Past in theaters last weekend but alas it left the theaters in Philly before I got a chance.

Anchorman 2, I thought it was hilarious. Now I need to go watch the first part :-P

Just remember that Anchorman is guaranteed hilarious. That humor... sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

tumblr_m6854lYKma1rz9uhio1_500.gif

Anchorman 2, I thought it was hilarious. Now I need to go watch the first part :-P

Just remember that Anchorman is guaranteed hilarious. That humor... sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

tumblr_m6854lYKma1rz9uhio1_500.gif

I actually don't find the first one all that funny outside of Brick. The second looks like it's actually a funnier movie though.

I actually don't find the first one all that funny outside of Brick. The second looks like it's actually a funnier movie though.

I found the first half of anchorman to be too campy...which is a concept i don't really care for in films. To me...pertaining to campy films... the excitement of the ending is only a smidgen more thrilling due to the boredom one had to sit through to get to the part where theres the grande finale. The 2nd 1/2 of anchorman is a must see...I'll give it that. I should give it another try and see if its less annoying to hear them all jabbering on for who knows how long till someone gets speared w/ a trident.

....and actually writing something relevant to the topic, instead of simply trolling....

The last movie I watched was 'Dhoom' which is a bollywood film. Despite the typical 'every 15-20 minutes someone breaks into singing stuff' that bollywood films do...wasn't a bad movie about ppl stealing stuff. Watched 1/2 of 'Dhoom 2' so far, just haven't gotten around to finishing it.

So far Dhoom 2 has a bit more ridculousness to the fight scene choreography and the plot is trying to raise the stakes on what stuff gets stolen.

I found the first half of anchorman to be too campy...which is a concept i don't really care for in films. To me...pertaining to campy films... the excitement of the ending is only a smidgen more thrilling due to the boredom one had to sit through to get to the part where theres the grande finale. The 2nd 1/2 of anchorman is a must see...I'll give it that. I should give it another try and see if its less annoying to hear them all jabbering on for who knows how long till someone gets speared w/ a trident.

....and actually writing something relevant to the topic, instead of simply trolling....

The last movie I watched was 'Dhoom' which is a bollywood film. Despite the typical 'every 15-20 minutes someone breaks into singing stuff' that bollywood films do...wasn't a bad movie about ppl stealing stuff. Watched 1/2 of 'Dhoom 2' so far, just haven't gotten around to finishing it.

So far Dhoom 2 has a bit more ridculousness to the fight scene choreography and the plot is trying to raise the stakes on what stuff gets stolen.

The Thing (2011)

I gave that a re-watch. I still like it. It in no way lived up to Carpenter's film... and it didn't try. It wasn't a remake and that was one of the smartest decisions Universal has made in a decade. It felt more like a companion to the 80's classic and if nothing, it got a younger audience to check that film out. I do wish that more of the effects were practical, but upon another glimpse, they did use most of the ADI effects at some point for each creature(some like the helicopter scene were only a couple frames though). They ended up using much more than I originally thought. You know how that works, as soon as you see that unnatural CGI animation, it ruins the whole series of effects.

The movie ended up pretty much breaking even for budget and I'm glad for that. I accept the movie and will probably watch it time to time, but I wouldn't have wanted Universal to be tempted to carry this franchise any further. Decent.

Finished Dhoom 2 a couple minutes ago...the ending has as much sap as a pine tree, but it was an entertaining film. I also had the bonus of not watching this with my wife, so I could forward through the songs...she finds them too funny to not watch.

Tuesday, my wife told me that her parents tried to watch one of the movies they had on VHS (Star Wars) with their VHS/DVD combo player, but the VHS player didn't work.

They have an (I think) 46 inch flat screen. And they would rather watch VHS tapes than buy an inexpensive Bluray player....

So, I went on Amazon and bought them an LG Bluray player for $62.

I'm going to give it to them with Harmy's Despecialized Star Wars Trilogy and Q2's Fall of the Jedi Trilogy on AVCHD (which is a Bluray format burnable to a DVD9).

I've only seen the first film so far (as well as the animated series based on it), but I could honestly watch it on repeat forever.

Dr. Egon Spengler was one of the first to convince me that science was cool as a kid, and it's stuck with me forever since.

I like how in the video, Akroyd and Hudson are doing the dance correctly, Ramis is...trying, and Murray just does not care. At all.

tumblr_maruvj0l2j1ro8ysbo1_500.gif

(I also found out one of my favorite comic book artists wrote/drew a Real Ghostbusters comic. I gotta go check that out.)

The Lone Ranger (Fan Edit) - 7/10

SO much better. Aside from a few minor cuts that seem a tad awkward and an intro consisting of clips from the TV and radio shows that doesn't quite work, this edit's been damn near flawlessly put together and makes for a vastly superior film, with the majority of the spiritual mumbo-jumbo aspects cut, along with the unfunny 'comedy' beats, Helana Botham Carter's rather pointless role, The Lone Ranger betraying Tonto and most of the slower-paced aspects that just didn't work.

The end result is a much faster paced and entertaining film that, while still having a few problems, is now so much fun you don't really care.

Well, I just saw the Lone Ranger.

I didn't hate it. I thought I would, but I didn't. Yeah, there were some dumb things, the pacing was a little off, and frankly, the Princess Bride storytelling thing they tried didn't really work. But damn... that last action scene made up for all of it. Loved the variations of the William Tell Overture.

Agreed about that last action scene... it's glorious. Not worth slogging through the whole movie for, but still. Awesome.

Sign in to follow this