Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tiffuts

Last Movie you watched...

7 films you could watch: The Graduate, The Curse of the Jade Scorpion, Matchpoint, Triangle, Moneyball, Head-On and Dune.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - 9/10.

GO SEE THIS MOVIE.

No, seriously, it's a freakin' masterpiece. The plotting is genius, the acting is fantastic, the script is pitch perfect and the whole experience is amazing. Go and see this film. It's just... it's really, really, REALLY good.

Yeap

I'm not a big fan of anything Marvel, let alone the movies. I went to see Captain America today with some friends.

This is so far the best one yet. The plot seems very constructive, for an action movie. Can't really complain about the script and actinve escept for a few cheesy onelines here and there.

Also saw the Carrie remake. Up to the prom, the original movie was better. Modern special effects made the prom scene and everything after soo much better.

Disney Planes - 6/10

Had my mother not chosen to watch this on Mother's Day (which was yesterday in the UK), I would have gone my whole life never seeing this film, and I honestly would have lost nothing.

For those who don't know, this film is the story of Dusty (voiced by a surprisingly not awful Dane Cook), a crop duster who dreams to be a racer. So he decides to go for it, and... pretty much just does it with very little effort. If there was any, then the film did a fairly poor job of showing it aside from a brief training montage, which serves as the entirety of Dusty's character development - but more on that later.

This is very obviously a direct-to-DVD movie given a polish and pushed out to theatres, simply because of how basic it is. From the story structure right down to the characters, everything is done to an incredibly derivative checklist that doesn't even attempt to be anything more than a by-the-numbers story set in the 'world of Cars' - a fact it shoves in our faces even before the proper name of the movie is shown, as if that somehow excuses everything to come.

A prime example of how basic this film in comes in how Dusty's character changes and improves over the course of the film. Or rather, how it doesn't, because Dusty has absolutely no character arc whatsoever. He ends the film acting in exactly the same manner as he did at the start of it, meaning that he has learned absolutely nothing from his round-the-world racing adventure - he was a nice guy at the start of the film, and guess what? He's STILL a nice guy at the end of it. For all the flaws Cars had, at least the main character took something away from his adventure and became a better perso-CAR at the end of it. All Dusty gets is a couple of new friends. And a few new parts. Meh.

This isn't to say there's no character development at all. A couple of the side characters have arcs, the 'wise old mentor' being the main one, but even that is as tired a cliché as you can imagine and you can literally tell how it's going to go from the moment you first see him. Like I said earlier, the film is basically a checklist of clichés that it desperately wants to get over and done with as quickly as possible.

The visuals... are fine. It's not Pixar quality, obviously, but then again it's also nothing particularly terrible either. There weren't many full-on action scenes, but the few that appeared were done well enough to entertain. They served the job well enough and there's really not a whole lot one can say about it. The same can be said about the voice acting - it's perfectly serviceable.

In the end, it's just sort of a thing that fills time. It's not a bad way to spend an hour or so, but there's a lot of other films out there that really do deserve your time far more than this. Perfectly fine for kids though!

South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut - 7½/10

Still awesome - especially in animation quality - but it feels like the more recent episodes have so much more bite and style to them that the film from 10 years ago suffers a little in comparison. It's still good though, and the music... oh man, the music. That's what truly makes this film so enjoyable. And they're all so catchy! I can't get 'Out There' out of my head! Help!

Mr. Peabody & Sherman 0/10

Hell. To. The. No.

Haha. It wasn't THAT bad. I've seen worse movies in my time. I think the ending was dumb, thats for sure.

But I challenge you to watch Walking with Dinosaurs 3D!

I can guarantee you that compared to that shitpile of a film, this smells of roses! xD

EDIT: Oh and Muppets: Most wanted

8/10

I really love these recent muppet movies! The songs are great, the second half of both films just get you so involved with it, you're bouncing on the edge of your seat!

(Well, maybe thats just me though...)

Peabody & Sherman actually looks pretty decent compared to the majority of animated movies that come out. No random fourth wall breaking gags or pop culture references every 10 seconds.

Welp. I watched Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Really liked it. Wasn't as... silly? as the other Marvel movies, but with the more serious plotline, it had to add on a bit more weight. The fight choreography, especially at the beginning, was absolutely stunning. First time I've seen a sacrifice throw in a movie out of a Jackie Chan movie, for one thing. Winter Soldier was great. Even though he said about three lines in the movie, he had great menace and new tricks for each fight. Loved how we got more of Black Widow... and without spoiling anything, this movie was the first of Phase 2 that really felt like it had an iron clad reason for not involving the other Avengers. The others, you could probably handwave a bit, but here you can easily show how it would be completely impossible for the others to be involved.

Well, except maybe Hawkeye, but I have the feeling that he got put on extended leave after the whole Loki-mind-control incident.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - 9/10.

GO SEE THIS MOVIE.

No, seriously, it's a freakin' masterpiece. The plotting is genius, the acting is fantastic, the script is pitch perfect and the whole experience is amazing. Go and see this film. It's just... it's really, really, REALLY good.

Yeap

I'm not a big fan of anything Marvel, let alone the movies. I went to see Captain America today with some friends.

This is so far the best one yet. The plot seems very constructive, for an action movie. Can't really complain about the script and actinve escept for a few cheesy onelines here and there.

Also saw the Carrie remake. Up to the prom, the original movie was better. Modern special effects made the prom scene and everything after soo much better.

YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT! Saw it last night with my friends god damn what a movie. That part where the senator whispers hail hydra in to the guys ear was fucking amazing. I almost want to see it again.

Thank you for that massive spoiler about the film's villains, Dr.

Might wanna, I dunno, pop that in a spoiler tag or something for those who haven't seen the film yet? Just sayin'.

Thank you for that massive spoiler about the film's villains, Dr.

Might wanna, I dunno, pop that in a spoiler tag or something for those who haven't seen the film yet? Just sayin'.

What did I spoil? Is it that hydra is the enemy cause they already said that in every movie trailer and artical about the movie.

I guess if you don't keep up with news then I can see that but it's not not even that big of a spoiler. It's still not even that big of a spoiler, you don't even know the half of it or the context.

Eh, I guess.

I suppose all my time on the Telltale foru-COMMUNITY has left me erring on the side of caution when it comes to spoilers.

Yeah... that's a pretty major spoiler. I mean, you know something's not on the up and up, but not exactly what.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5/10

OH MY GOD, THIS MOVIE IS SO F***ING EPIC!

The Grand Budapest Hotel was fantastic. If you like Wes Anderson movies, you'll love this.

I'm happy to hear all the high praise about Captain America. I hope to catch that maybe next weekend. I'm actually surprised since I thought the first movie was only so-so.

Also, a few weeks ago, I saw Divergent. I went in thinking it was going to be another lame, teen-angst knock off of The Hunger Games. Turns out, I was pleasantly surprised! Granted it's got its weak points, but I actually like the premise better than the Hunger Games. Now I haven't read the books, but a friend mentioned the next two books aren't as good. Guess we'll have to see.

Also, it's interesting that on Rotten Tomatoes the critics have Divergent ranked so low. The audience, like me, has it ranked pretty high. Usually Rotten Tomatoes is a pretty good indicator of a good movie since it's an aggregate of many different critics. But IMO, I think for Divergent it's flat out wrong. On the flip side: for the movie Noah, most audience members thought it sucked whereas critics praised it. What gives?

Hell, even if you don't normally like Wes Anderson movies, The Grand Budapest Hotel was great. I've been listening to the soundtrack every chance I get.

I think people are downvoting Divergent more for what it represents than how good it actually is... though since it's aimed at teenaged girls and most critics tend to be adult males, that may have something to do with it too.

Last saw the majority of Star Trek Into Darkness (came in right before the big Starfleet meeting where 'Harrison' shoots everyone). It's a relatively fun popcorn movie, but despite its attempts to be more, never really does. And seriously? The big twist? Yeah, that's BS.

Also, they needed to do another take of Spock yelling that guy's name. REALLY hard to take that scene seriously with that pansy-ass shout.

Saw Iron Sky yesterday. It's cheesy as anything, but it's a fun time and I've seen honest big budget Hollywood Sci-Fis that are way worse. It's a good film. Really boring extras on the DVD though.

I noticed Ezekiel 25:17 on a tombstone in Captain America 2. Samuel Motherf**kin' L. Jackson...

I noticed Ezekiel 25:17 on a tombstone in Captain America 2. Samuel Motherf**kin' L. Jackson...

Really? That's pretty cool.

I'm pretty sure they mainly put that there as a Pulp Fiction reference.

Sign in to follow this