Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tiffuts

Last Movie you watched...

Because a bunch of religious goofs decide to piggy-back it for publicity? Seems a strange reason not to want to see a movie any more.

ANOMALISA - Wonderful Kaufman movie, if not up there with his absolute best.

DEADPOOL - Excellent. As much fun as I'd hoped it would be.

From an article:

Idris Elba was recently cast as Roland Deschain in the upcoming – and long-awaited – film adaptation of Stephen King’s masterful book series, The Dark Tower. This was viewed by many as a somewhat surprising announcement, given that Roland has almost exclusively been portrayed as a Caucasian guy over the years.

Elba is a phenomenal actor, you’ll agree, with memorable roles in The Wire, Luther and – most recently – Beasts of No Nation all serving as a showcase of his phenomenal talents. But there’s a fundamental issue with the idea of Elba as Roland pertaining to the actual source material – one that kind of makes his being “white” something of a necessity.

Which is to say, near enough the entire second book in The Dark Tower series is hinged on the racial tensions shared between Susannah – a racist black woman – and Roland, which makes for some of The Dark Tower’s most interesting and complex threads. If Roland is to be played by a black man, none of that works; his casting compromises part of what makes The Dark Tower so brilliant. This isn’t a racial issue, of course – it’s a narrative one.

I agree 100%. Elba is not who I picture as Roland Deschain.

From an article:

Idris Elba was recently cast as Roland Deschain in the upcoming – and long-awaited – film adaptation of Stephen King’s masterful book series, The Dark Tower. This was viewed by many as a somewhat surprising announcement, given that Roland has almost exclusively been portrayed as a Caucasian guy over the years.

Elba is a phenomenal actor, you’ll agree, with memorable roles in The Wire, Luther and – most recently – Beasts of No Nation all serving as a showcase of his phenomenal talents. But there’s a fundamental issue with the idea of Elba as Roland pertaining to the actual source material – one that kind of makes his being “white” something of a necessity.

Which is to say, near enough the entire second book in The Dark Tower series is hinged on the racial tensions shared between Susannah – a racist black woman – and Roland, which makes for some of The Dark Tower’s most interesting and complex threads. If Roland is to be played by a black man, none of that works; his casting compromises part of what makes The Dark Tower so brilliant. This isn’t a racial issue, of course – it’s a narrative one.

I agree 100%. Elba is not who I picture as Roland Deschain.

I actually think he'll be quite good. I don't read the writings of a white guy from Maine when I want to read about nuanced racial tension. In fact I don't read Stephen King for the character interactions whatsoever.

I agree he's obviously not how I pictured Roland, but I can imagine him pulling off the character quite well. I'm looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

"If Daryl Dies, We Riot"

Well if what happened happened as it appears, get ready for the riot.

Dave Bautista and Robin Wright have joined the cast of Blade Runner 2

Bautista's hint was awesome. I'm not sure how I feel about this movie or how the casting is playing out, but the origami post was great.

Mag7 looks surprisingly good, though I'm a tad worried Chris Pratt is just going to play the same character in everything now.

Mag7 looks surprisingly good, though I'm a tad worried Chris Pratt is just going to play the same character in everything now.

I don't know. What worries me is that it'll just be a generic action flick with a western setting. Bad enough that they had to remake Magnificent Seven again, this is also the third remake of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai.

Having said that, I love westerns like it's nobody's business, so I'll definitely be seeing this.

Magnificent Seven can never be the same without the original score by Elmer Bernstein.

Well, they got James Horner to score it before he died in a plane crash, and since Horner is an excellent composer, it ought to work.

Having said that, Bernstein's original score is synonymous with westerns. Like Ennio Morricone and Dimitri Tiomkin, he's high up in the list

The Force Awakens.

's pretty good.

Compared to the last 3 films, it was f**king amazing.

The Pink Panther Strikes Again

Probably my second favorite sequel to The Pink Panther. But I love Return of the Pink Panther and A Shot In The Dark.

The Force Awakens.

's pretty good.

Compared to the last 3 films, it was f**king amazing.

True. Compared to the original trilogy though... I dunno, it just feels a bit lacking. Like there's no real quiet moments - it's all so fast paced, so there's no time to just take it all in. Remember that shot of Luke looking at the Tatooine suns, where the music swells and you're filled with a real sense of wonderment? There's nothing like here. That's my biggest issue with it (as opposed to it having the same plot beats as Ep4, which I didn't mind).

Mod voice: And mind the language, please. Swear filter's there for a reason.

GUYS GUYS I just thought of something.

Anyone remember the ending to The Blair Witch Project?

What if Heather wasn't holding the camera? What if it was the witch?

And the screams were not from seeing anyone being killed or from seeing Mike standing in the corner. Heather was screaming because she was watching the witch descend the stairs. There's also the fact that you can hear her screaming far off, whereas when the camera is being carried you hear no footsteps, as was claimed by the lady in the beginning.

Compared to the original trilogy though... I dunno, it just feels a bit lacking. Like there's no real quiet moments - it's all so fast paced, so there's no time to just take it all in. Remember that shot of Luke looking at the Tatooine suns, where the music swells and you're filled with a real sense of wonderment? There's nothing like here. That's my biggest issue with it (as opposed to it having the same plot beats as Ep4, which I didn't mind).

I'd disagree with there being no quiet, contemplative moments. I think Rey's entire introduction sequence is pretty similar to that moment you describe, with her music theme playing as we watch what her day-to-day life is like. Like with the scene with Luke, it serves to make the audience feel what her desires are and how she's being held back, it just has a different look to it. There's also the emotional conversations between her and Maz Kanata, Hans and Finn and between Hans and Leia.

OK, I'll give you Rey's intro. That worked pretty well. But after that? It just feels like we never got to sit down for more than 30 seconds without something happening. Everything moved so fast - all those emotional conversations you mentioned were so short, they were over before we knew it.

Maybe if those scenes had been expanded a little more, or they'd kept in the political plotline that was cut from the movie (remember

when the planets were destroyed, we got a shot of two people on the balcony - a black woman and an alien? They were actually there on a mission given to them by Leia, and the entire subplot was cut

), it would have helped. I dunno.

With lack of alternative, fuc* it, it's going here.

I REALLY hate Temple of Doom.

With lack of alternative, fuc* it, it's going here.

I REALLY hate Temple of Doom.

Why does it all of a sudden seem hip to diss TOD? Nothing against you, it's just I've seen that movie many times over the years and I love it, so I never really understand why everyone has a problem with it when it should just be taken at face value.

For me, it really started when Crystal Skull came out and everyone got all upset like it ruined the franchise. My response was always "Really? You're all bent up about the logic and execution of this movie when the franchise includes Temple of Doom?". "..it's a classic". And it's still ridiculous and it still makes just as much sense.

Before all that crap started, it was just my least favourite of the franchise and a movie I would just skip and not talk about.

Sign in to follow this