Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vectorferret

Act 2 Speculation (spoilers for act 1 obviously)

Marek giving a communicator to Vella, thus allowing her to speak to Shay even though their actions are still separate for more Day of the Tentacle style aiding each other.

Shay is totally going to do something to that snake.

Act 2 will actually be a prequel focusing entirely on Spoon, and Spoon's training to serve Shay. It will also reveal the story of Knife. Shay and Vella will not appear.

The Spoon's sordid past with the Dish is clearly the most pressing mystery.

Seriously though, how the hell did Shay get from passed out and exposed to vaccuum to inside Mog Chothra? I mean, even if we assume Mog Chothra was the spaceship all along somehow... unless maybe that 'outer hull' was a fake?

Mog was the 'spaceship'. The missions as shay 'saving' the people, were you as Mog getting the 'tributes'. There was no real vacuum because, well, you were never really in space. So it looks like knife is never going to destroy all of infinite space in the end

Mog was the 'spaceship'. The missions as shay 'saving' the people, were you as Mog getting the 'tributes'. There was no real vacuum because, well, you were never really in space. So it looks like knife is never going to destroy all of infinite space in the end

Yeah, but you floated in there pretty well. I guess it does explain why there was friction. Because clearly, point and click adventure games need accurate space physics, when you're using whipped cream as a jetpack.

So it looks like knife is never going to destroy all of infinite space in the end

Never underestimate Knife!

The knife is totally going to be the Chekhov's gun, I just know it.

But seriously, Shay in Vella's world, Vella in Shay's world, Marek's true identity and motivations will probably be revealed, Shay's gonna do something to that snake that probably involves the brass instrument that's hanging from the tree, Vella will probably have to find a way up to the truck that's sitting on top of the giant ice cream pile, and the land beyond the Plague Dam might end up being the final location in the game which is where the big reveal will happen. Maybe.

I'm thinking there could be some time travel involved here. That means we might get an explanation why Vellas and Shays circumstances are the way they are in the beginning of the game.

I'm thinking Shay and Vella are going eventually be trapped by something much bigger in the end... And all will seem lost and then...

And then...

AND THEN KNIFE SAVES THE DAY!

I'm thinking there could be some time travel involved here. That means we might get an explanation why Vellas and Shays circumstances are the way they are in the beginning of the game.

Yeah, Moms personality is programmed from someone just like Vella, and the Dead-eye guy has a story very similar to Shays. Either there's some time traveling, or time is repeating itself.

Maybe we have to break the routine again? :D

So, right.

We know that the Maiden's feast happens every 14 years, with a predictable regularity...

We know that Mom was programmed with at least some memory of past Maiden's Feasts, or seems to be...

We know that in order to actually carry out the Maiden's Feast, Shay had to break out of his normal routine with the help of Marek...

How those 3 facts square up I think will be the interesting parts. I feel like the answer lies somewhere in that riddle Dead Eye Dawn gives you. Some of the way that it was phrased made me think that it was foreshadowing certain reveals about the Mogs that will be more fully explained in part 2.

Vella will probably have to find a way up to the truck that's sitting on top of the giant ice cream pile

I believe she already has the item for it.

I also think that Vella will have stuff to do on the "runaway train" (Shay is BANNED. FOR. LIFE.), the behind door that "Mother" won't open due to a "surprise" and the cargo hold with the "creatures".

Shay will visit Sugarbunting? I presume that's where the path will lead past the snake.

So, right.

We know that the Maiden's feast happens every 14 years, with a predictable regularity...

We know that Mom was programmed with at least some memory of past Maiden's Feasts, or seems to be...

We know that in order to actually carry out the Maiden's Feast, Shay had to break out of his normal routine with the help of Marek...

How those 3 facts square up I think will be the interesting parts. I feel like the answer lies somewhere in that riddle Dead Eye Dawn gives you. Some of the way that it was phrased made me think that it was foreshadowing certain reveals about the Mogs that will be more fully explained in part 2.

Oh God, it sounds like The Matrix 3!!!

Act 2 will actually be a prequel focusing entirely on Spoon, and Spoon's training to serve Shay. It will also reveal the story of Knife. Shay and Vella will not appear.

ThereIsNoSpoon2.png

Shay finds the lumberjack as a paltry shell of a man due to his detox diet, and helps him make a huge stool by bringing him the high fiber and nutrient rich bark of a puking, sap-filled tree. Lumberjack is so exhausted from moving his stool that he collapses, to be haunted by dreams of shrieking trees forever more.

Shay is able to get past the snake by lubricating himself with the tears made from crushed hopes of the never-to-be-mayor of Shellmound, who was kicked out of the town by locals shamed by the disastrous Maiden Ceremony and forced out of their jobs from the exclusive use of foreign-made sand stabilizer. Beyond the snake, Shay is found by local residents of Sugar Bunting and put to trial as a witch.

Knife, finally able to cleave the infinite madness of space itself, is found spiritually broken from the realization that he was only a tool in a false reality.

Driven to insanity by the thankless life of slavery they were forced into, the Hexagon people on Shay's ship imprison Vella by forcing her through a teleporter 4 times and keeping her under a cup on the dirty kitchen floor.

Sustained only by the few CinnaMoons found on the floor that the auto-vacuum missed, Vella's dialogue is reduced to heaving cries of sorrow and munching sounds.

*insert happy ending here*

Vella should be able to climb the ice cream mountain with her cloud shoes.

Maybe shay will be able use those fishing poles? With the croquet needle?

So, is Shay going to turn out to be a clone?

What are the actual motivations of Marek, is he around every 14 years to trick a new clone Shay into going through with the Maiden Feast? What happens after?

Are the Maidens used to produce the brown nutrient paste feeding the next Shay for 14 years or turned into yarn pals to lead a joyless existence?

Shay finds the lumberjack as a paltry shell of a man due to his detox diet, and helps him make a huge stool by bringing him the high fiber and nutrient rich bark of a puking, sap-filled tree. Lumberjack is so exhausted from moving his stool that he collapses, to be haunted by dreams of shrieking trees forever more.

Shay is able to get past the snake by lubricating himself with the tears made from crushed hopes of the never-to-be-mayor of Shellmound, who was kicked out of the town by locals shamed by the disastrous Maiden Ceremony and forced out of their jobs from the exclusive use of foreign-made sand stabilizer. Beyond the snake, Shay is found by local residents of Sugar Bunting and put to trial as a witch.

Knife, finally able to cleave the infinite madness of space itself, is found spiritually broken from the realization that he was only a tool in a false reality.

Driven to insanity by the thankless life of slavery they were forced into, the Hexagon people on Shay's ship imprison Vella by forcing her through a teleporter 4 times and keeping her under a cup on the dirty kitchen floor.

Sustained only by the few CinnaMoons found on the floor that the auto-vacuum missed, Vella's dialogue is reduced to heaving cries of sorrow and munching sounds.

*insert happy ending here*

homer-head-exploding.gif

Yeah, Moms personality is programmed from someone just like Vella, and the Dead-eye guy has a story very similar to Shays. Either there's some time traveling, or time is repeating itself.

Maybe we have to break the routine again? :D

We're assuming here that Mother is actually a computer. We've only seen her face on a screen, and her employing cable arms. There's no reason she couldn't be a 28 year old woman from the last maiden's feast, operating a bunch of levers from the secret surprise room.

By the end, I was under the impression that all of Mother's games for "saving" the knitted creatures was just training for what Marek has Shay do (although the true purpose behind "saving" the girls is not obviously revealed) and Mother and Marek are on the same side, but Marek is just portrayed as "bad" for the sake of enticing Shay's interest after being so bored of being careful thanks to an overprotective Mother. The Dead-Eye God is just an ancestor of Shay, possibly from another break in the cycle 300 years prior. We still don't know who Father is exactly, though, do we?

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious. It seemed to me that Mother is Vella but older (she says something about being a maiden that escaped the feast, I believe) and that the Dead Eyed God is Shay but older (same clothes, appearance, voice, etc.)

So now at the end of Act 1 we have Vella with Old Vella and Shay with Old Shay. Paradox much?? Haha. Anyway, it got me very excited to see where the story is going. This game has an amazing story. I'm hoping the puzzles get more challenging, tho.

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious. It seemed to me that Mother is Vella but older (she says something about being a maiden that escaped the feast, I believe) and that the Dead Eyed God is Shay but older (same clothes, appearance, voice, etc.)

So now at the end of Act 1 we have Vella with Old Vella and Shay with Old Shay. Paradox much?? Haha. Anyway, it got me very excited to see where the story is going. This game has an amazing story. I'm hoping the puzzles get more challenging, tho.

That's what I thought too, but the consensus is there's a pattern of Shay-like characters happening (for whatever reason). So Dead Eye is someone like Shay and Mother is a sacrifice like Vella, but they're not actually them. As bizarre and cool as I thought that was. :P

That's what I thought too, but the consensus is there's a pattern of Shay-like characters happening (for whatever reason). So Dead Eye is someone like Shay and Mother is a sacrifice like Vella, but they're not actually them. As bizarre and cool as I thought that was. :P

Interesting...definitely excited to see where this goes.

We're assuming here that Mother is actually a computer. We've only seen her face on a screen, and her employing cable arms. There's no reason she couldn't be a 28 year old woman from the last maiden's feast, operating a bunch of levers from the secret surprise room.

Huh. Didn't think of that.

A lot of interesting possibilities. Shay's ship very well could have been Mog Chathra the whole time, but if not maybe the entity on the radar chasing Shay's ship could have been Mog Chathra or a similar entity, and Shay is preventing maiden feasts.

As for Marek, could it be Father?, Shay's real Father? Dead Eye God?

Also, did anyone else notice that Dead Eye God's dialogue about the villagers from 300 years ago seemed odd? I think we might see Shay traveling and interacting with them first hand in Act 2. What if Shay's ship IS Mog Chathra and the Temple is somehow paradoxically ALSO Mog Chathra?

Also that insight on Crochet Hook + Fishing Pole is genius, maybe thats what removes the snake?

Sign in to follow this