Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Localization Bugs: German

I didn't get a chance to post this before Greg locked the other general localization thread, so I'm going to post this into each of the FIGS threads…

A HUGE thank you to everyone who has reported localization bugs! If I haven't responded directly to something you've posted, don’t worry, I'm keeping track of everything, and am working as fast as I can to fix the issues you've found. I'll do my best to post bug fixing progress too.

I'm glad you're enjoying the game so much and are willing to help us make it even better. :)

Good Morning (downloaded through the night and fist thing i do, play a game, live is great..)

The subtitle says

Computer says Grilled Cheese after the adventure with the foreign object at the hull.

The l subtitle says Käsetoast

Id rather say "gegrillter Käse" which would be translated as Grilled Cheese or maybe you call it "gegrillte Käsepaste" for "grilled Cheesepaste"

Käsepaste would be more fitting because it would explain what it is, since grilled cheese isnt very popular and common here.

So far I've been playing - and totally enjoying - Vella's part and a few things in the German subtitles troubled me (a tiny bit):

I wouldn't translate "maiden feast" into "Maidenmahl", but rather use "Jungfernmahl" instead. It means the same, to me it just sounds rounder. Other German speaking people might correct me, if they think the former fits better though.

And the lumberjack's "stool" should rather be translated into "Hocker", I think. Or is there a joke/pun on feces I didn't get?

I had one more, but I can't remember it, so I'll probably come back.

Computer says Grilled Cheese after the adventure with the foreign object at the hull.

The l subtitle says Käsetoast

Id rather say "gegrillter Käse" which would be translated as Grilled Cheese or maybe you call it "gegrillte Käsepaste" for "grilled Cheesepaste"

Käsepaste would be more fitting because it would explain what it is, since grilled cheese isnt very popular and common here.

I'd tend to disagree. There just is no word for a grilled cheese sandwich in German, heck as you say there isn't even a word for American cheese. So instead of awkwardly describing the concept, just make up something that people know. I mean it's not crucial for the story that it's a grilled cheese, not a toast with cheese, is it?

I wouldn't translate "maiden feast" into "Maidenmahl", but rather use "Jungfernmahl" instead. It means the same, to me it just sounds rounder. Other German speaking people might correct me, if they think the former fits better though.

And the lumberjack's "stool" should rather be translated into "Hocker", I think. Or is there a joke/pun on feces I didn't get?

I totally agree with the stool thing. I'm a bit impartial on the maiden feast. Yes, Jungfernmahl sounds much more approachable. Maid is such an odd word that many native German speakers probably won't even know what it means, exactly. On the other hand, I always like me my alliterations ;) And whether or not the word should even be approachable is an artistic decision. Maidenmahl sounds more ancient to me so depending on how old this tradition really is, it might be preferable to use it.

I guess, you're right, we can break it down to an artistic decision, because both words mean the exact same thing. :)

Just some quick "nah, it's fine"s to comments above, in defense of the (imho excellent) translators:

"Grilled Cheese" is indeed Käsetoast; it doesn't necessarily need to have the word "sandwich" attached in English. Do an image search for "grilled cheese" and see what comes up! When you say "I'll have a grilled cheese", most people would assume you're talking about the sandwich.

There's quite a lot of feces jokes about the "stool", the dialogue even ends with a joke about stool samples/Stuhlproben. "Hocker" would probably kill all of those. Keep the Stuhl!

Lastly, "Maidenmahl". I found it a *little* jarring at first as well, but it quickly grew on me during the playthrough. It has a really nice fluency (alliteration ftw), the slight antiquity of the word fits the "pointless tradition" aspect very well, and the alternatives generally imply things that aren't really fitting. For "Jungfern", there's this modern connotation of "virginity" that just doesn't seem to be a real issue. (I'm well aware that that's not a necessary implication, it's just a lot more irritating than "Maid" is to modern ears). So my 2c on that one is also: Keep it!

Just some quick "nah, it's fine"s to comments above, in defense of the (imho excellent) translators

Another vote for nearly all of this. Translating doesn't always mean the exact thing, but sometimes a similar thing that makes exact sense. So that's Käsetoast, if there are stool-jokes, it needs to be Stuhl, and Maidenmahl does sound nice, except I don't know whether "Maiden" exist as German word. "Maid" does, but "Maiden"?

"Maid" does, but "Maiden"?

It does indeed -- it's the Plural of "Maid": "Eine Maid" vs "mehrere Maiden".

... the things you never knew. Thanks, I learned something today. o.O

In that case: All of what the guy above me said.

So far I've been playing - and totally enjoying - Vella's part and a few things in the German subtitles troubled me (a tiny bit):

I had one more, but I can't remember it, so I'll probably come back.

yeah "Hocker" would be a better term, BUT: then all feaces-jokes (yikes) wouldn't work as they do now, when you just call it "Stuhl", which is fine.

There's quite a lot of feces jokes about the "stool", the dialogue even ends with a joke about stool samples/Stuhlproben. "Hocker" would probably kill all of those. Keep the Stuhl!

Dang, I knew I'd missed on the jokes! Now it makes perfect sense and needs to stay Stuhl! :)

Lastly, "Maidenmahl". I found it a *little* jarring at first as well, but it quickly grew on me during the playthrough. It has a really nice fluency (alliteration ftw), the slight antiquity of the word fits the "pointless tradition" aspect very well, and the alternatives generally imply things that aren't really fitting. For "Jungfern", there's this modern connotation of "virginity" that just doesn't seem to be a real issue. (I'm well aware that that's not a necessary implication, it's just a lot more irritating than "Maid" is to modern ears). So my 2c on that one is also: Keep it!

Thanks to this explanation, I can live with the term "Maidenmahl". It still sounds a bit off to me, and I'd probably still prefer Jungfernmahl, if asked for an opinion, but this is just my highly subjective thinking. ;)

@DF

Why don't you offer an export of the translations? Marking and making suggestions would be way more effective.

"Grilled Cheese" is indeed Käsetoast; it doesn't necessarily need to have the word "sandwich" attached in English. Do an image search for "grilled cheese" and see what comes up! When you say "I'll have a grilled cheese", most people would assume you're talking about the sandwich.

Nobody suggested otherwise :)

@DF

Why don't you offer an export of the translations? Marking and making suggestions would be way more effective.

I asked about that before but Malena said it's not possible which I can understand. They would probably need to have us all sign NDAs or similar before handing that out.. ;)

Ummm, there is one question I now have (after completing the game in English)

How do I turn the localized subtitles on?

Its not in steam (at least I don't find it) and I don't find it in the game either.

(System is on German, steam is set to English as default, also all steam games since many translations are variations from slightly wrong to "that makes no sense")

Its not in steam (at least I don't find it) and I don't find it in the game either.

(System is on German, steam is set to English as default, also all steam games since many translations are variations from slightly wrong to "that makes no sense")

You can turn the subtitles on/off and select the language in the gamesettings-menu in the game

You can turn the subtitles on/off and select the language in the gamesettings-menu in the game

I just found it .. I wonder how I ever could have missed the button (as well as in the in game menu...)

The translation of the "better to lose an A than an I" pun doesn't really work as it is. "Besser ein A zu verliegen als einen C" just sounds wrong (it is "ein C" versus "einen Zeh"). However, this could be fixed by a bit of cheating. It is quite common to use "'nen" as a universal indefinite article informally, even though it was originally a short form of "einen". So "Besser 'nen A zu verlieren als 'nen C" does indeed work. It will still be attacked by grammar nazis but it won't strike anyone as odd or wrong.

"Unterhose" seems a more natural translation for "underwear" than "Unterwäsche" in the context it's used in.

"Es würde zu Beschwerungen führen"? What? That's "Beschwerden" but then again the pun wouldn't work. So why not just say "Leute würden sich beschweren"? Pun saved, perfectly fine German, everybody happy.

Huh, I think there are at least two occasions where a "why" question was translated by "what" which causes the dialogue right after that to make no sense. It's really hard to do this kind of language debugging without the ability to replay sequences or look at the original text though.

The bucket head shouldn't be described as "schick" to make the mayor give it away. More fitting would be "edel" or "exklusiv". Anyone would say "schick" and not think anything of it.

"Seid ihr gut im Rätsel lösen?" -> "Seid ihr gut im Rätsellösen?" Common mistake.

Ok, that's it for now. I'm sure I missed some minor stuff though. Also, I didn't think of switching on the German subtitles until I had already played the beginning of Vella's story and most of Shay's :/

Not sure this belongs here but how can I change the language? My system is running in English by default and thus I get the English version of the game when I start it. Since I'm a German native I would love to play the game again using the translation. Is there a startup parameter that I can pass to the game via Steam options to get German language?

OK figured out we're talking about the subtitles here. Will have to play through it again to make notes.

When you put the blow-up doll in the bed Shay says: This looks enough for me to fool the warden.

In the German subtitles it says: Er sieht mir hoffentlich ähnlich genug, um die Wächterin zu narren.

That sounds a little bit strange.

When you put the blow-up doll in the bed Shay says: This looks enough for me to fool the warden.

In the German subtitles it says: Er sieht mir hoffentlich ähnlich genug, um die Wächterin zu narren.

Yeah, it should be "um die Wächterin zu täuschen".

Yeah, it should be "um die Wächterin zu täuschen".

I think "narren" is the better choice even if its a bit outdated.

Sign in to follow this