• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Localization Bugs: German

I think "narren" is the better choice even if its a bit outdated.

Care to give a reason why? Otherwise I'm tempted to go with "täuschen", too, although other (IMHO) fitting possibilities would be "(he)reinzulegen" or "zu leimen".

So far I've been playing - and totally enjoying - Vella's part and a few things in the German subtitles troubled me (a tiny bit):

I wouldn't translate "maiden feast" into "Maidenmahl", but rather use "Jungfernmahl" instead. It means the same, to me it just sounds rounder. Other German speaking people might correct me, if they think the former fits better though.

And the lumberjack's "stool" should rather be translated into "Hocker", I think. Or is there a joke/pun on feces I didn't get?

I had one more, but I can't remember it, so I'll probably come back.

I agree. I was very confused when I read the word "Maidenmahl". As suggested it should be translated to "Jungfernmahl" or even better "Jungfrauenfest".

A feast is something where everyone should be happy and celebrate, right? If yes, than the german word for that ist "Fest". The German word for maiden is "Jungfrau". The two combinded is "Jungfrauenfest" :-)

Hocker instead of Stool is also a good idea. It' more accurate.

I agree. I was very confused when I read the word "Maidenmahl". As suggested it should be translated to "Jungfernmahl" or even better "Jungfrauenfest".

A feast is something where everyone should be happy and celebrate, right? If yes, than the german word for that ist "Fest". The German word for maiden is "Jungfrau". The two combinded is "Jungfrauenfest" :-)

Hocker instead of Stool is also a good idea. It' more accurate.

Having played much of the game in German now, I have to say that I'm totally cool with Maidenmahl. The correct translation for "feast" is "Festmahl". In English, a feast is always centred around food. So "Jungfrauenfest" totally loses the gag (and gives people a whole different idea what this celebration is about), as does "Hocker" BTW but we already discussed that.

Since I didn't turn on subtitles during playing: Is there are a German translation in rhyme form of the Riddle of Yorn?

At the Space Weaver, the german subtitles are in the right corner of the display and I can not see all the subtitles.

There's quite a lot of feces jokes about the "stool", the dialogue even ends with a joke about stool samples/Stuhlproben. "Hocker" would probably kill all of those. Keep the Stuhl!

I just replayed the game in German. It's actually called "Stuhlexemplare" in the game …

Has DF changed it? Was it "Stuhlproben" before? If so, why did they change it? I mean … what a wasted opportunity to translate the joke with the ambiguity maintained intact! No one says "Stuhlexemplare" over here.

I also noticed, there's a comma missing when Brommel speaks. He says "Dann kämpfe Mädchen!" but it should be "Dann kämpfe, Mädchen!"

Without knowing more context than what was given in here, Stuhlproben > Stuhlexemplare. What's the entire sentence, incidentally?

Sign in to follow this