Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Localization Bugs: French

When Shay tries to open a locked door and the computer drags him back to bed, he says "je suis ton prisonnier ou quoi ?" The j should be a capital letter.

I didn’t get a chance to post this before Greg locked the other general localization thread, so I’m going to post this into each of the FIGS threads…

A HUGE thank you to everyone who has reported localization bugs! If I haven’t responded directly to something you’ve posted, don’t worry, I’m keeping track of everything, and am working as fast as I can to fix the issues you’ve found. I’ll do my best to post bug fixing progress too.

I’m glad you’re enjoying the game so much and are willing to help us make it even better. :)

When Shay uses Gary with the boom arm manual controls, the subtitles read "Que Gary...veut agriper ça." The beginning of the sentence is missing, it should be "Je pense que Gary...veut agripper ça."

So let me copy and paste what I noticed so far :

-When Vella talks to the dad (i don't remember his name) on the Cloud Colony, we can pick a sentence finishing by "...Mog Chortha veut manger tout". The sentence suddenly stops. No period at the end. When we choose the sentence though, Vella says something much longer. May I suggest to put a "..." at the end if it's too long?

-When Vella talks to the shoes lady (Cloud Colony) we can choose "Je te demande pardon !". It's correct but a little bit awkward (it sounds like "Pardon me !"). I feel like "Pardon !" or "Désolé !" or "Je suis vraiment désolé !" would sound better.

-When we us the axe on the wood on Curtis fireplace, Vella says something like "Je vais abattre cet ARBRE". She should says "Je vais détruire ce bois". She says "wood" in english and not "tree" (arbre means tree and wood means bois).

Everything was great besides that!

Sorry for the double-post. I just found something else :

VELLA

-When we use the "art" on the thing in the temple of the Blind God, space-guy appears and sighs. There is a french subtitle when the guy sighs and it reads "fait un bisou" which means "makes a kiss". Obviously, it doesn't make a lot of sense :) .

When Vella picks up the towel on the cupcakes, Grampa says "Ah. Je ne vais jamais le retrouver !" It means "I will never find it", it would be better if it was "Vous n'allez jamais le retrouver !" (You'll never find it) or "On ne va jamais le retrouver !" (We'll never find it).

A few more in the cloud colony :

- When Vella asks the two guys about why she shouldn't talk to Jessie, Ch't says "Elle est totalement flippée !" It would be more correct using "Elle a totalement flippé !"

- When telling Car'l we are sorry, she says "[...] Je viens juste te perdre mon unique gagne-pain, [...]" It should be "Je viens juste de perdre ..."

- When asking Car'l if she makes hats, she says "Je fais des indispensables chaussenuages ici." "des indispensables" should be contracted to "d'indispensables".

- When asking M'ggie if there is a way off the cloud, the subtitles read "Hé, est-ce qu'il y a un moyen pour quitter ce nuage ?" It is better to use "... un moyen de quitter ce nuage ?"

- When looking at the hatchery, Vella says "Ah et, ça sent pareil." It would be better to write it "Ah, et ça sent pareil." or "Ah et... ça sent pareil."

Here's more in the cloud colony :

- When we walk near Jessie, Vella says "Désolé ! Je ne faisais que passer !" It should be "Désolée ! Je ne fais que passer !"

- When looking at the peach tree, Vella says "Je ne peux pas l'atteindre. Peut-être si trouvais une branche plus basse." It should be "Peut-être si je trouvais..."

- She also says "C'est la plus grosse pêche que j'ai jamais vue !", "C'est la deuxième plus grosse pêche que j'ai jamais vue !" and "Ce sont les plus grosses pêches que j'ai jamais vues !" In those sentences, it should be "[...] que j'aie jamais..."

- Near the peach tree, we can hear Gus saying various things when we are in the area above, in two of his sentences ("Dépêchez-vous. S'il vous plaiiiiiiit ?" and "Allez ! S'il vous plait !") "S'il vous plaît" needs a circumflex accent on the i. Also, when we talk to him, the same error appears when he asks Vella to unhook his underwear (he says it in two different lines when we leave the conversation).

- When Gus talks about Jessie's egg (when we are above and when we approach him), the subtitles read "[...] l'Œuf de Jesie [...]" but "œuf" doesn't need a capital letter.

- When we ask 'R if Harm'ny would tell us how to get off the cloud, he says "Oh, j'éviterai de demander ça à Frère Lestebarbe." It should be "Oh, j'éviterais de ..."

malik :

"Elle est totalement flippée" is correct to me.

It's slang, but it works.

Cherche "il est flippé" sur Google, et tu verras qu'on l'utilise parfois pour dire que quelqu'un a "la trouille".

Hello!

In the cloud colony when Vella talks to F'ther she says : "Bonjour Mère.". It should be "Bonjour Père."

Then instead of "Père. Heu non, 'R!", it should be "P're!" or something like that.

Hi,

When asking Curtis what he can do "Three more wishes" is translated to "Plus que 3 voeux" which translates as "More than 3 wishes" and could be misunderstood in french for "Only 3 wishes left" I think "Trois voeux de plus" would be better.

In Shay part:

There was no subtitles on the 'We're stuck in ice cream - we're not drowning' sentences.

When you use the air-tank on the ice-cream avalanche.

Hello, in the french translation, I have found a sentence which is correctly litteraly translated.

But the point is the pun is lost in the way...

When Vella talks with M'ggie, M'ggie says :

"Better loosing an A than loosing an I" (eye)

which is litteraly translated as

"Mieux vaut perdre un A que perdre un I"

Translating this pun is very tricky...

You might keep the same sentence, but people won't even notice there is a pun, unless you write the word instead of the capital letter :

"Mieux vaut perdre un A que perdre un nid" (loosing a nest, which sounds the same)

or

"Mieux vaut perdre son A que perdre son nid" (loosing your nest, which sounds more personnal and can also mean "your home" in an affective way)

I have been searching for other puns with letter, but this would involve changing her name in french, which would be quite annoying.

Here are the examples I can think of :

If you name her M'rgarett :

"Mieux vaut perdre un A que manquer d'R" (than being out of air)

or with other letters, if you change completely the name :

"Mieux vaut perdre un A que perdre son Q" (than loosing your butt)

"Mieux vaut perdre un A que perdre une L" (this would normally be "un L" and means than loosing a wing)

In my opinion, the best and easier translation would be

"Mieux vaut perdre son A que perdre son nid"

I think “Mieux vaut perdre un A que perdre un I” should be sufficient...

If you have a little sense of humour, you will associate "un I" with "un nid". =}

By the way, I would have written this : “Mieux vaut perdre un A que de perdre un I”

I'm wondering if it could be more correct that way...

Sign in to follow this