Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mudd1

Is the extremely low resolution of some textures normal?

I know I don't have the strongest graphics hardware with my Intel Core i3 built-in adapter but some textures/objects seem incredibly pixelated, especially the backgrounds and especially in close-ups. I'll attach one example but these Lego graphics are all over the place. Using Linux in case that makes a difference. Let me know if you need full specs.

A lot of them looked that way for me too. I assume they just couldn't make such huge backgrounds in high enough resolution, and didn't have enough time/space to make close-up backgrounds.

Maybe a later version could implement a different scaling algorithm that makes use of a "pixel scatter" effect that would match the spraypaint look that's used in a lot of the art.

If DF make more games with this engine, it would be awesome if they started using an infinitely scalable vector format like what Mischief uses: http://www.madewithmischief.com

Same here, quad-core i7 MacBook Pro with juicy graphics so it's not your conf. :)

It's especially visible in close up scenes, but many many background textures are pixellated (especially in Vella's world so far - home bg, Mariloft flat fountain, the cloud shoes shop...)

Copia di Schermata 2014-01-14 alle 23.53.22.jpg

578d00582103b_CopiadiSchermata2014-01-14

I'm getting this too. Not sure if it just happens on certain graphics cards, but it is quite distracting. I'm pretty certain that all of the art was done in high res - they'd have no reason to skimp in that area. It's probably just a technical issue.

I'm getting this too. Not sure if it just happens on certain graphics cards, but it is quite distracting. I'm pretty certain that all of the art was done in high res - they'd have no reason to skimp in that area. It's probably just a technical issue.

It's not just in that area. It's in almost every area actually, of both Vella's and Shay's story. It's just that the fountain thingy in the Cloud Colony main is an especially good example. It's very noticeable even one zoom level further out and I mean look at it, in the screen shot I posted, the pixels are almost as big as the guy's eyes, so yeah, that's probably the worst offender. But very distracting pixels are all over the place.

i'm pretty sure that's just the resolution of the backgrounds. They shouldn't have zoomed in so close. Although with the cloud hub there's several important areas that should have had their own backdrops just for the zoom in

i'm pretty sure that's just the resolution of the backgrounds. They shouldn't have zoomed in so close. Although with the cloud hub there's several important areas that should have had their own backdrops just for the zoom in

I like the close-ups but yeah, if the backgrounds don't support it that's not good.

But actually, there are a couple of objects in some areas that seem to have been made much larger than they were initially supposed to be, judging either by the brush size or outright by their pixelation.

I also wonder if there are higher-resolution images that they left out of this release for the sake of download size, and might enable for the physical copy? I dunno.

Maybe since even in modern 3D games you can still get close enough to see the pixels of textures, they expected audiences to be used to it.

Maybe since even in modern 3D games you can still get close enough to see the pixels of textures, they expected audiences to be used to it.

Well, I'm not used to it and it's part of the reason why I generally don't approve of the look of 3D games ;)

I saw the same low texture backgrounds in my game. I wasn't sure if it was done to save space or if it was an actual issue (I remember the documentary showing high rest art for the cloud areas). Pic is attached.

Microsoft Windows Vista HOME PREM 64-bit Edition

Intel Core i7 720QM 1.6GHz (2.8 GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)

4GB, DDR3, 1333MHz 2 Dimm

ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4670 1GB

2014-01-14_00001.jpg

2014-01-14_00001.jpg.0f4329ca38bbf610452

Very distracted by the low ressy art in some backgrounds. Shellmoud is ok, though, for example.

I also experienced a lot of background art being far too low resolution for how large it was being scaled up. It happened in nearly every area of cloud Colony. It happened outside the ship when going to the arm controls, where Shay is clearly significantly sharper than the backgrounds.

It's a real bummer considering how great everything looks at the correct resolution.

If you look at the composition of some of the scenes, it does give a pseudo depth of field kind of look - the subject is more detailed and looks in focus while the background is lower res so it naturally blends into the background more.

Or...I'm completely wrong. :) If you want it to not be SO zoomed you can also try using the horizontal and vertical letterboxing options. Playing it vertical makes everything a bit tighter and would look sharper I'd think. But I'd rather have it take up all of my screen personally.

Same issue for me. When the wolf says: “Use that vent”, the vent closeup looks distractingly blurry, though not sure if it's because I use a late 2011 Macbook Pro with just integrated graphics. By the other posts, it doesn't seem to be hardware related

I think one of the more obviously blurry things is the nest in cloud colony where the gold colored bird is (with a gold substitute egg). It zooms in on the bird as he's kicking your ladder off of his nest with his beak and the nest he's in is quite blurry/pixelated.

HP laptop:

DV7-2185DX

64-bit Vista SP2

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9000

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650

Fullscreen 1600x1900

I believe the fountain in particular is being looked at. The resolution of the backgrounds partially explains it but jefmes is correct that there's also a blur effect that happens on many closeups. We can take a look at any other particular case but there will likely be a limit to how much it can be improved.

Given that a lot of the most noticeable examples of low-res backdrops are during character close-ups, I'm wondering whether a lens-blur type effect could be used to hide the low resolution? I've had similar situations in After Effects where I'd simply drop an adjustment layer with a lens blur between the subject and the backdrop.

Not sure whether there's a similar avenue available in the Broken Age engine/environment.

I believe the fountain in particular is being looked at. The resolution of the backgrounds partially explains it but jefmes is correct that there's also a blur effect that happens on many closeups. We can take a look at any other particular case but there will likely be a limit to how much it can be improved.

A gaussian blur filter would improve all of these reported cases, regardless of texture resolution, wouldn't it?

Or, as someone mentioned, a more stylistic blur filter that emulates brush strokes, like in Skyward Sword on the Wii.

Yeah, as it is this really detracts from the brilliance of the art. Aside from the odd bug here or there which I'm sure will get ironed out soon, this issue is the lone complaint that I have about what is otherwise an incredibly charming and expertly crafted game. Unfortunately it's a rather large complaint. The IQ just fluctuates so wildly from moment to moment that it really takes me out of the experience.

In lieu of simply using significantly higher resolution assets, the application of a blur filter—especially during closeups of characters where it's evocative of cinematic depth of field and makes good stylistic sense—is really a pretty smart solution. It's just that the current implementation leaves a lot to be desired. If I can resolve giant individual pixels, it's not really doing it's job.

Really hoping a new algorithm can be implemented before the public release. It would drastically improve the visual presentation of the game.

Yeah, as it is this really detracts from the brilliance of the art.
Indeed. The game is SO beautiful that the minor blemishes really stand out!

The obvious presence of a blur filter in some scenes makes it all the more odd that there is this blocky appearance. If you ask me, just blur the hell out of the background. If it looks like the shot was taken with an insane aperture to look artsy, well so be it :)

Experimenting with a more painterly filter as has been suggested might be interesting but I imagine this to be quite a task so it might just be impractical or not worth it. They do have quite a development team in these Zelda games ;) For all we know, that filter took five people three years or so (it probably didn't, I'm just making a point).

Did something change overnight? Because I'm in shellmound and suddenly the zoomed in background have a sort of noisy diffusion blur that looks much better than the stuff in the cloud village!

Did something change overnight? Because I'm in shellmound and suddenly the zoomed in background have a sort of noisy diffusion blur that looks much better than the stuff in the cloud village!

Some background are more blurry than others. Dunno why.

The close up pixelation immediately reminded me of Manny's inventory in Grim Fandango. That's a 15-year old game! It was more apparent in some places than in others, but it really jumped at me right away with Shay's holo-blanket when I first started playing the game. The DXT-like texture compression that's used also makes everything look grimey and detracts from the beautiful Bagel Look.

The close up pixelation immediately reminded me of Manny's inventory in Grim Fandango. That's a 15-year old game! It was more apparent in some places than in others, but it really jumped at me right away with Shay's holo-blanket when I first started playing the game

Yeah, I also noticed the holo-blanket right away but I thought "Well, they might make this pass as a feature, being computer-generated and all."

Also I think allot of the pixilation are just style choice because you often see like rampant brush strokes with some pixels what i'm sure is meant to be like that.

Also I think allot of the pixilation are just style choice because you often see like rampant brush strokes with some pixels
Got any pics of such a thing? I'm not sure I understand what you're describing.

Wow, if this is NOT a bug, then it really spoils the game for me. It's downright painful to watch, and weird since it's not consistent. The whole cloud colony seems to be full of it though.

I mean, really?

Skjermbilde 2014-01-15 kl. 21.19.54.png

578d005a83e97_Skjermbilde2014-01-15kl.21

Sign in to follow this