Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  

dumb story questions that i have (spoilers)

ok, who was the dead eye guy? shay's dad? future version of shay? someone else?

was there really a monster or was it always a spaceship? if it was always a spaceship, how did it work before shay existed?

how did shay survive without his helmet on? was the spacewalk just a faked scenario too?

So, I thought it might be Dad or Future Shay too, but after thinking about it...

There is a new Mog every 14 years, correct? His ship was probably one of the early Mog Ships. Spacewalk was definitely faked. You see the stars fall down at the end of Shay's bit (I think only if you do Vella first, but still they fall) and when Vella enters the ship you see the space background all on the ground, broken.

Didn't Vella call him Alex or something like that during the finale of her side of the story? I'm thinking he's Shay's dad. It at least seems to be a fair guess that he's related to Shay in some way.

As for Mog/the ship, seems like the space part was an elaborate simulation that broke down when the laser hit its mark and took it down.

The spacewalk was definitely faked.

One thing you need to remember is that Shay and Vella's story are happening at essentially the same time. Therefore, if you think about it some of the things that Shay did in relation to what Vella did, you can make a few discoveries. For example, the mini-game Shay played where he was "rescuing" the people was actually Mog Chathra eating the different maidens at the different locations. The first time you play the game you leave one person behind, and you remember that the first feast was at the cloud colony where one maiden was left behind (which Vella meets). The second feast is in Sugar Bunting and Shay attempts to rescue all 5 of them but the 5th one (Vella) gets away. And the last one is in Shellmound where he gets the first two, but then Vella destroys Mog Chathra (which is the ship).

In the beginning of Vella's story, we know that this event occurs every 14 years, and Shay is roughly 14 years of age. Therefore, is this a journey that many boys have taken? Including Alex (The Dead Eye God)? We discover that Alex is a part of "Project Dandelion" which is also what Shay was a part of. Therefore, Shay may not be related to Alex, but they may have had the same experience only 300 years apart.

This brings into question the role of Marek in all of this as he is the one who gets Shay to rescue/eat the maidens. We also know Marek is not a wolf, but someone in a wolf suit. But if this happens every 14 years, does that mean the meeting with Marek and Shay's rebellion is all just part of the plan? Shay is meant to rescue/eat the maidens? To what end?

Hopefully these questions and more will be answered in the Act 2...

From Mom's memories, it sounds like the AI are possibly encoded from the offerings? It seems like after Alex (was that his name? the Dead Eyed God) went into cryosleep, something must have happened for Project Dandelion to continue (something having to do with what he mentioned about "hacking" the system?) It's a bit weird that he wouldn't have recognized the design of the Mogs if they were based on the same technology. That's awfully involved simulation world Shay was living in there though so who knows what's going on.

Couple things...

As we saw the "collection" locations matched the various maiden festival/town locations. It's weird that Shell Mound is marked as "Prima Doom" - off limits. Ah you say, well that must be tied into trying to avoid the Dead Eyed God's Temple (the original Operation Dandelion seed ship), except Shell Mound regularly holds maiden festivals so the Mog must go there every time! I wonder how that all gets explained, and what Marek usually does with all the maidens...

A more minor nit, but it seems a bit weird why immediately upon seeing Shay why Vela would try to knock him out. I mean, the first reaction to a person walking out of the mouth of a monster would probably be more dumbfoundedness then sheer aggression? Vela seemed pretty levelheaded/reasonable through Act I. Maybe all the adrenaline had her confused/angry waking up... I can accept it as a mechanically thing to get her firmly on the other side of the mouth, but I can't help but wonder if there would have been a simpler way that was a bit more in character.

From Mom's memories, it sounds like the AI are possibly encoded from the offerings? It seems like after Alex (was that his name? the Dead Eyed God) went into cryosleep, something must have happened for Project Dandelion to continue (something having to do with what he mentioned about "hacking" the system?) It's a bit weird that he wouldn't have recognized the design of the Mogs if they were based on the same technology. That's awfully involved simulation world Shay was living in there though so who knows what's going on.

Couple things...

As we saw the "collection" locations matched the various maiden festival/town locations. It's weird that Shell Mound is marked as "Prima Doom" - off limits. Ah you say, well that must be tied into trying to avoid the Dead Eyed God's Temple (the original Operation Dandelion seed ship), except Shell Mound regularly holds maiden festivals so the Mog must go there every time! I wonder how that all gets explained, and what Marek usually does with all the maidens...

A more minor nit, but it seems a bit weird why immediately upon seeing Shay why Vela would try to knock him out. I mean, the first reaction to a person walking out of the mouth of a monster would probably be more dumbfoundedness then sheer aggression? Vela seemed pretty levelheaded/reasonable through Act I. Maybe all the adrenaline had her confused/angry waking up... I can accept it as a mechanically thing to get her firmly on the other side of the mouth, but I can't help but wonder if there would have been a simpler way that was a bit more in character.

My assumption was that Vella assumed that Shay had been aware of what he was doing to the villages the whole time, and had therefore a pretty good reason to be angry at him, lol. Maybe she will change her mind about Shay if Mum is still active inside the ship.

But he has been in cryo-sleep for 300 years.

time travel, only possible explanation :P

But he has been in cryo-sleep for 300 years.

time travel, only possible explanation :P

Nah, Shay's just the latest clone. :)

The spacewalk was definitely faked.

One thing you need to remember is that Shay and Vella's story are happening at essentially the same time. Therefore, if you think about it some of the things that Shay did in relation to what Vella did, you can make a few discoveries. For example, the mini-game Shay played where he was "rescuing" the people was actually Mog Chathra eating the different maidens at the different locations. The first time you play the game you leave one person behind, and you remember that the first feast was at the cloud colony where one maiden was left behind (which Vella meets). The second feast is in Sugar Bunting and Shay attempts to rescue all 5 of them but the 5th one (Vella) gets away. And the last one is in Shellmound where he gets the first two, but then Vella destroys Mog Chathra (which is the ship).

In the beginning of Vella's story, we know that this event occurs every 14 years, and Shay is roughly 14 years of age. Therefore, is this a journey that many boys have taken? Including Alex (The Dead Eye God)? We discover that Alex is a part of "Project Dandelion" which is also what Shay was a part of. Therefore, Shay may not be related to Alex, but they may have had the same experience only 300 years apart.

This brings into question the role of Marek in all of this as he is the one who gets Shay to rescue/eat the maidens. We also know Marek is not a wolf, but someone in a wolf suit. But if this happens every 14 years, does that mean the meeting with Marek and Shay's rebellion is all just part of the plan? Shay is meant to rescue/eat the maidens? To what end?

Hopefully these questions and more will be answered in the Act 2...

So far, Marek is the character/element of the story which I'm most conflicted about...

Hints in the Shay storyline and his creepyness in general make you have a generally bad opinion of Marek, as someone that's using Shay to fulfill some dark plan...

What about Marek saving Shay's life at the end by pushing him, than?

Are they really saving the maidens from something by "eating" them with the Mog/Spaceship?

Also, before the ending cutscene I thought the Mog was some kind of "wireless receiver" for the spaceship, but than...

Well that's really confusing, I can't wait to see it all come together in Act 2! :D

[...] A more minor nit, but it seems a bit weird why immediately upon seeing Shay why Vela would try to knock him out. I mean, the first reaction to a person walking out of the mouth of a monster would probably be more dumbfoundedness then sheer aggression? Vela seemed pretty levelheaded/reasonable through Act I. [...]

That is because she is very smart. And she knows from the dead eye god/ alex about spaceships and such.

After waking up and looking into that she recognizes that as some kind of machine. With someone in "space closes" coming out.

Naturally she assumes that he was in full knowledge and control of mog chobra (or similar spelling)

When she stands up within she suddenly is surprised and sees that Shay was also deceived.

My theory is that Marek is actually just another puppet of the ship.

Shay is clearly being trained for something here. Mother is the first installment - she and her missions are there to instill a basic sense of heroism in a small child. When the child becomes a teenager and starts to chafe at the restrictions, Marek is there to direct the child's rebellion into... well, I'm really not sure. And it's been interrupted. Though I suppose act 2 will tell us something more about that in how Mother, Father, and Marek react to Vella.

It's worth noting that dandelions follow a strategy of growing plants super-cheaply, and sending a LOT of spores everywhere. Insofar as we can anthropomorphize the blind process of evolution, dandelions place no value on the survival of any one particular plant, or seed. Is this a resonance we're supposed to get from "Project Dandelion"?

Shay is clearly being trained for something here. Mother is the first installment - she and her missions are there to instill a basic sense of heroism in a small child. When the child becomes a teenager and starts to chafe at the restrictions, Marek is there to direct the child's rebellion into... well, I'm really not sure. And it's been interrupted. Though I suppose act 2 will tell us something more about that in how Mother, Father, and Marek react to Vella.

It's worth noting that dandelions follow a strategy of growing plants super-cheaply, and sending a LOT of spores everywhere. Insofar as we can anthropomorphize the blind process of evolution, dandelions place no value on the survival of any one particular plant, or seed. Is this a resonance we're supposed to get from "Project Dandelion"?

Likely! That dandelion/shotgun approach to survival could be the strategy Shay and Alex's people have opted for. Alex did mention that his people were in trouble. The dandelion analogy also lends more fuel to the clone theory, considering how you describe it: "a strategy of growing plants super-cheaply, and sending a LOT of spores everywhere."

Also, the last minigame, where u try to catch the maiden, it's really frustrating because it's hard to hit her, which makes sense becaue ur constantly dodging him as Vella.

I'm pretty sure there's an Oblivion(2013) style explanation, whereby every mog has a shay clone in it, 1 guy broke down and actually grew into an adult.

I constantly had a feeling that Marek was an intentional part of the whole, thing. I think there were some subtle hints even, but that may just have been me, I'll look out for it in a second play through.

Wild Idea: If the Shay clone idea is real, is it possible that there's only male specimen? What if the maidens that the Mogs eat are actually meant to be brides for the Shays, and possibly the parallel between shay and vella is that they were "meant" for each other through this sick mechanism?

Shay constantly tries to rescue(kidnap) maidens that Marek warns him against, which is exactly why he ends up crashing and outside the ship, while Vella refuses to be kidnapped/eaten by a Mog, which is why she ends up inside one, but not actually eaten.(ergo in a way they are alike)

The only issue is that why would 1 mog catch a lot of maidens, when there's only one Shay per Mog?

edit: Oh damn I double posted, oh mod gods please merge this!

Wild Idea: If the Shay clone idea is real, is it possible that there's only male specimen? What if the maidens that the Mogs eat are actually meant to be brides for the Shays, and possibly the parallel between shay and vella is that they were "meant" for each other through this sick mechanism?

Shay constantly tries to rescue(kidnap) maidens that Marek warns him against, which is exactly why he ends up crashing and outside the ship, while Vella refuses to be kidnapped/eaten by a Mog, which is why she ends up inside one, but not actually eaten.(ergo in a way they are alike)

The only issue is that why would 1 mog catch a lot of maidens, when there's only one Shay per Mog?

that was what I was thinking too. that project dandelion has something to do with colonization or repopulation. that they are brides-to-be for the boy. why many of them? if procreation is all that matters you only need one male and lots of females.

Also intrigued what alex did in steel buntin back in the day and what he had to do with vellas past...could shay and vella be related? also be interested to find out why hes called the "dead eye god"...? that wasnt explained was it? god I have to play it again!

marek is also intriguing. I dont know what to think about him. I kinda like the idea that the wolf costume references have to do with him being a sheep in wolfs clothing - seems bad but is actually the good guy.

or he could be representing puberty in the ship program (as mentioned above) with all that hair and chasing girls. also a cool angle.

Sign in to follow this