Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  

does anyone else think shay/vella never sound scared enough? (spoilers)

like even when they're in scary dangerous situations they remain somewhat relaxed in their tone of voice. in a game that is primarily comedy this would be ok because you know nothing bad is ever going to happen but in a game that seems to want to do comedy and drama at the same time i felt like it didn't go all the way in the voice direction department. i didn't really feel the terror of a young girl almost being eaten by a monster or the pain of a boy who felt responsible for cute critters dying. i think it detracted from the game somewhat. i suppose this is pretty debatable so i want to know what other people thought of the voice acting.

I thought the voice acting was pretty good, but I definitely noticed that Vella didn't exactly seem upset about the fact that she was being choked to death by a snake.

Then again, isn't that somewhat reminiscent of the train "mission" in Shay's story? The knitted friends just hold on to the track endlessly while waiting for the "genius hero" to perform a very simple task. Much like Vella waiting for the player to click an object while feigning certain death. This game is clearly meta as hell and Tim Schafer has made all of us into Shay.

It seemed strange, but it made sense for the world. I didn't think it detracted from it. Especially for Vella's world, you've got to remember that her people's entire population thinks that the sacrifice is normal and even worth celebrating. Thus, there is no real fear there. Vella is understandably unhappy with things but fearless as a part of her upbringing. It also lends itself well to that "brazen youngster" vibe that I think Tim was going for in this coming of age story.

Same goes for Shay. He's so unbelievably bored with everything that he's not used to being in any real danger because someone was always there to save him. He's understandably fearless. Like a child's innocence. He finds true danger more attractive than intimidating. I think it all works very well.

Sign in to follow this