Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hplikelike

Curse you Double fine, I almost missed the humor

I "accidentally" solved Gus's puzzle when I heard him screaming for help before I had the chance to climb the tree down to talk to him (Didn't even realize you could do that at first). Luckily, my save scumming allowed me to go back and get my Pennington ward dialogue. Still, double fine, WHY U MAKE IT SO EASY TO MISS?!

Ahhh...I never had a chance to talk to him either. I never climbed down the tree. I was wondering why I couldn't find him afterwards to talk to him. I figured his character just wasn't important enough for that (which did strike me as a little odd). I'll have to go back and do that...

I did that too, though I didn't save-scum my way back to talk to Gus, I just decided that I'll make sure I talk to Gus when I replay act 1.

I actually thought the solution was to fall through the clouds from the get go, but when he referred to Vella by name I realised I did something wrong :(

Missed that dialogue too.

It wasn't visually obvious that you could climb down the tree in the middle, but I'd already fallen through other holes in other locations so that was more obvious.

(I'm down from the clouds and actually haven't run into him at all yet, so it was confusing to hear him talked about so much and then never meet him, except when falling past him.)

Oh. Huh. I totally missed that too. Hopefully there's something DF can implement to direct the player's attention to visit Gus before solving his puzzle? I hate missing dialogue!

EDIT: And yeah, I thought it was weird that this person I'd never met before already knew Vella by name, but the moment was over so quickly I didn't get a chance to think much more about it.

God damn it. I thought he might be back in Act 2 and this was just a teaser for his character. I'll have to replay that bit. Maybe it should be tweaked so that you talk to him as soon as you get to the area?

I managed to do it the right way thankfully... I was avoiding the holes after falling through them in previous areas. They probably should've made the right hole past the tree so people didn't fall through accidentally.

Idea for Double Fine: Have Gus grabbing Vella cause the hole above him to appear. Perhaps use a sound effect to indicate something happened (but without showing it directly).

I managed to do it the right way thankfully... I was avoiding the holes after falling through them in previous areas. They probably should've made the right hole past the tree so people didn't fall through accidentally.

But then you might solve it while getting the peaches.... The best solution I can think of would be that that all the holes were covered up (Maybe by birds, or some sort of platform) before you talked with him, then, once you know there is a puzzle to be solved, a gust of wind or something uncovers the holes and then you have to figure it out. Which I just realized is what Cube said above me :P

Guys, this is a spoiler.

Given the choice between having the solution to a puzzle so easy you often solve it by accident spoiled, and missing a lot of funny dialogue, I think the vast majority would chose the latter. (That being said, I did try to phrase it in a non spoilery way)

Guys, this is a spoiler.

Given the choice between having the solution to a puzzle so easy you often solve it by accident spoiled, and missing a lot of funny dialogue, I think the vast majority would chose the latter. (That being said, I did try to phrase it in a non spoilery way)

Yup. I wish I knew instead of having to wait to hear his dialogue after a replay...

Freeing Gus was actually the one puzzle I was really stuck on for a while. I had it in my head that I had to cut him free, and I walked all over Meriloft and talked to every character over and over again trying to find something I had missed. I ended up jumping down the right hole in one last desperate attempt to get a better view of the area under the tree to see if there was something else there.

Freeing Gus was actually the one puzzle I was really stuck on for a while. I had it in my head that I had to cut him free, and I walked all over Meriloft and talked to every character over and over again trying to find something I had missed. I ended up jumping down the right hole in one last desperate attempt to get a better view of the area under the tree to see if there was something else there.

Same here.

It's interesting to see how some people either entirely missed the puzzle and solved it immediately by accident, while others (like me) got stuck on it for a while...

That's actually an example of a RELATIVELY good puzzle, but they should probably do a MIRROR IMAGE of the whole scene so that people don't fall into the "right" hole before they even reach the tree... alternatively, having something cover the hole and then be removed by a player-induced series of events (as others have suggested here) seems like the best idea.

Same here, this got me stuck for a while (one of the only times I got stuck at all). The suggestion to make the holes appear after you talk to Gus won't work, because then it makes the solution super obvious. But they absolutely need to fix the accidental falls here before you talk to Gus.

Yeah, strangely enough I think this was the hardest puzzle in the whole game so far for me. I actually took a break from playing and then had my aha moment only after a break and went back and did it on purpose. I was trying so hard to avoid the holes (to avoid being slowed down) that I was extra cautious going around them.

Idea for Double Fine: Have Gus grabbing Vella cause the hole above him to appear. Perhaps use a sound effect to indicate something happened (but without showing it directly).

I think this is a good solution for saving Gus before you have met him.

Although I had met Gus and got stuck but still saved him by accident.

What if on clicking the cloudhole Vella stops and says: "I'm not sure. I will fall through if I go there." and you have to click it *again* in order to really fall through.

If this makes the puzzle too hard, it might be an idea to do make it obvious that the cloudhole is created when Gus grabs Vella.

I think the easiest way by far would be to have a mini-cutscene and make Vella walk down to Gus's location automatically as soon as she enters the tree screen and hears him screaming, so the player doesn't have a chance to click on the hole ahead of time. Might require getting creative with the dialogue there though.

Yeah, I was one of those who was stuck on the Gus puzzle for a while. At first I thought I could shoot peach pits at the egg behind him to bring it down and thus totally bypass him, because he grabs on to you whenever you try to walk by him. In fact, those darn peach pits were my possible solution to several puzzles...

I benefited from having fallen down the hole in the first Meriloft area as well as that being my last area explored. So at that point I purposefully gave those holes a wide berth. But I definitely see how frustrating it would be to accidentally solve that. It was one of the puzzles I enjoyed, because even though it only took me a couple minutes to get that 'aha' moment I did feel like I had to figure it out - and there weren't any heavy handed hints from what I remember.

It's just difficult, because a lot of the potential solutions to prevent accidentally solving it would make the solution more obvious after the fact. I do like the cutscene idea. Like maybe you see Gus fall and go down to talk to him automatically.

But not easy solutions to implement.

Time recently said in his Rock Paper Shotgun review that he's seen that people have not wanted to miss the Gus lines, so it sounds like he is aware of the problem, and our voices have been heard... yay. He also said the role was a lot more throwaway at first, but Penn added a lot to it. That might explain why it is so easy to miss: it originally wasn't as big a role, therefore, there was less at stake to miss. I doubt they're going to change anything, but it's still good to hear.

Sign in to follow this