Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lazybones

Very good first Act, but I hope it gets a little harder

I had two puzzles trip me up but made it through in about 4.7 with lots of crashes during scene switches.

The art, music and voice acting are excellent!

However I am not finding the puzzles very challenging.. The two that tripped me up I generally knew what was needed but some how missed that I could travel in a specific direction or I missed a single dialog item..

Very happy with Act 1, looking forward to act 2.

Tim has said that they're aiming for act 2 to be harder (I recall him saying in the latest documentary episode that act 2 has to be harder).

Tim has said that they're aiming for act 2 to be harder (I recall him saying in the latest documentary episode that act 2 has to be harder).

Well it can't get any easier. :P

Yeah, I was a little surprised I didn't get more stuck. This is really the only adventure game I've played recently where I didn't feel tempted to cheat my way through it with walkthroughs. The difficulty seemed pretty well-tuned to me (Steam recorded 4.9 hours of play time when I finished and there were a few puzzles that I really enjoyed), but I'm a fairly casual adventure gamer and still wouldn't mind it being a little more tricky. The only place I'd say the game was too easy was right at the beginning of Shay's story where I accidentally solved the puzzle to get to Merrick before I was done with playtime and childish things... and I know you can go visit some of them later, but it's just not the same.

Solving the puzzles always felt logical and satisfying to me. I also never felt that the solution was really obvious. Well, early on it sometimes was (certainly on purpose, I think) but this sort of introduction to different puzzle types is needed to make games like this accessible. (Also, everything Shay does at first was supposed to be insultingly easy and repetitive. It’s nice how gameplay and story dovetail each other in that part of the game.)

Having to resort to a walkthrough or being stuck for extended periods of time (to the point where the player exhausts all the things they can think of doing) is really a failure of the game if it happens. Since humans are complex and can react very differently to the same problems, balancing puzzles (iso that they are logical, non-obvious and don’t get you stuck all at the same time) seems like a devilishly hard task to me and those failures to a certain extent unavoidable – at least for some people.

However, I was delighted to see that Broken Age didn’t really suffer from any such problems for me personally. I never got stuck to the point of exhaustion (only once, nearly) and I never felt like only going through the motions. All the puzzle solutions felt quite satisfying to me.

I personally don’t think being stuck for days and having to resort to walkthroughs was what made adventure games of old great and I’m happy that Broken Age avoided that. I’m not sure whether anything was too easy, it certainly didn’t feel that way to me.

Since humans are complex and can react very differently to the same problems, balancing puzzles (iso that they are logical, non-obvious and don’t get you stuck all at the same time) seems like a devilishly hard task to me and those failures to a certain extent unavoidable – at least for some people.

It's not *that* hard. Tons of amateur adventure game creators have done a fine job of creating challenging adventure game puzzles. It's not really an excuse for making every puzzle piss-easy.

I personally don’t think being stuck for days and having to resort to walkthroughs was what made adventure games of old great and I’m happy that Broken Age avoided that. I’m not sure whether anything was too easy, it certainly didn’t feel that way to me.

Of course it wasn't what made them great -- there were no easily available walkthroughs back in the day. You had to stop and think about it and have patience, and not just whip through the game in one sitting.

Sure it could! See: The Walking Dead and the Wolf Among Us(both of which I loved). :D

Sure it could! See: The Walking Dead and the Wolf Among Us(both of which I loved). :D

They're not puzzle games in the slightest though, and don't fall under the 'classic' definition of adventure games. They're their own thing and they're brilliant at what they do, but they're not at all comparable.

Of course it wasn't what made them great -- there were no easily available walkthroughs back in the day. You had to stop and think about it and have patience, and not just whip through the game in one sitting.

I had to stop and think several times (and did so by switching to the other character). I think only because you are very skilful at solving puzzles you think others are, too. That is not the case.

Sign in to follow this