Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pimpollo818

Favorite and Least Favorite Moments

Thought it would be nice to see what other people found heartwarming, funny, frustrating, or just meh.

Favorite:

-The Surprise Party: I absolutely adored Rocky's animation and I hope we get to see much more of her in act 2

Also, having her whole family there made the area feel very warm and cozy, something that contrasted very strongly w/ the very cold environs of Shay's half.

-I very much enjoyed the beach map. The imagery and the music took me back to Monkey Island.

Least Favorite:

-I wish there were more interactions between the characters you meet. For example, I thought it was cool how we heard Gus mention that he hoped that (I think it was) Maggy missed/was worried about him but we never see him interact with her.

-I also hope they make it so you can't "click" on objects that have no bearing on a puzzle more than once to hear the flavor text (e.g. the fishing rods).

-I'm curious about the purpose of the snake. It seems like the game could have easily done without it. I mean, I don't recall it being essential to any of the puzzles.

What were some of your highs and lows?

Just on two of your points...

I also hope they make it so you can’t “click” on objects that have no bearing on a puzzle more than once to hear the flavor text (e.g. the fishing rods).

I agree this can be annoying, but if you somehow manage to miss what was said the first time, it's always nice to have the option of hearing it again. What they REALLY need is a way to skip over dialogue that doesn't skip the entire conversation. This would kill two birds with one stone.

I’m curious about the purpose of the snake. It seems like the game could have easily done without it. I mean, I don’t recall it being essential to any of the puzzles.

It's most likely part of a puzzle in Act 2. The game was always meant to be played as a whole - when it's not split in to acts, it will probably be more cohesive, and you won't notice this.

I don't remember seeing a snake...

It was to the left of Curtis' cabin. (The talking tree was to the right.)

Favourites:

The ending, my goodness the ending is one of my favourite adventure moments ever.

The teleporter puzzle I thought was funny and charming

Listening to the spoon at the start

Saying yes to doing 'The Wave'

Going into the temple for the first time

The approach to the cloud colony

Probably a bunch of stuff I'm forgetting

Least favourite:

Would have liked the battle at the end of Vella's segment to be a touch more dramatic, was a little hard to get invested from that zoomed out perspective.

Not exactly a moment, but there were a number of moments where I thought the game leaned a bit too heavily on clues in the dialogue - sometimes I got a clue before I even found the puzzle, which was slightly annoying. Easier on the dialogue clues next time - we'll figure it out.

Not exactly a moment, but there were a number of moments where I thought the game leaned a bit too heavily on clues in the dialogue - sometimes I got a clue before I even found the puzzle, which was slightly annoying. Easier on the dialogue clues next time - we'll figure it out.

The main one of these for me would be how railroaded you are to figuring out the train puzzle. I know in the documentary someone said that testers found it frustrating to figure out how to escape the loop, but the game closes off all of the other 'missions' and pretty much just tells you what to do.

I'd quite like a game that revels in the frustrating of testers. Then we might get some actual puzzles (not that this didn't have one or two good ones).

The main one of these for me would be how railroaded you are to figuring out the train puzzle. I know in the documentary someone said that testers found it frustrating to figure out how to escape the loop, but the game closes off all of the other 'missions' and pretty much just tells you what to do.

I'd quite like a game that revels in the frustrating of testers. Then we might get some actual puzzles (not that this didn't have one or two good ones).

I'm not too discouraged, for a couple of reasons. First - while I like a good puzzles as much as the next person, that's not the bit of adventure games that really speaks to me, it's the sense of being in a place and gradually letting the story unfold in it, and in that respect I really like the way BA starts out narrow and then opens out to something more exploratory in both halves. Secondly - we already know from the doc that Tim wants part 2 to be much harder, and I think based on the early feedback he'll want to really commit to that. So the game as a whole I think will have an easy front end and a harder back end.

While I felt it was a little short mostly because it just sucked me in for 4 straight hours that seemed to fly by, I thoroughly enjoyed the first act.

My favourite part was probably the knifes "escape" & reaction reminiscent of Murray from later Monkey islands so i hope he's back in part 2 somehow, that and the rather juvenile "stool" jokes ;)

My least favourite thing would be pretty subjective but I found the art to be a bit erratic not only in style but also quality but more so the animations especially towards the finale the monsters death etc seemed to me to be unfinished or at least unpolished.

I also think i wouldn't have enjoyed it at much had i not done Shay's half first as I feel i MAY have guessed what was going on the other way round so it was a nice surprise to really be taken by the ending twist.

There's a surprising amount of innuendo in Vella's half.

Or maybe that's just me making it seem like that in my head... o_0

There's a surprising amount of innuendo in Vella's half.

Or maybe that's just me making it seem like that in my head... o_0

Yep :D

yeah the way out of the "loop" was def way too easy. I did that mission first and accidently "broke" it straight away, so that kinda messed up that whole bit for me. :(

so many favourite moments...

making the tree barf? that whole bit was brill...also "I dont want to stab that" - the " I do!" took me by surprise!

least favourite for me was the end battle. great battle in many ways but I was annoyed at the logic details...he does open his mouth when you shoot him in the eye, and he does open it when hes about to eat you with two arms so why not with one, and the recharge isnt constant so it doesnt sit well when you cant reload in time for just that moment.

Least favorite part was figuring out I could jump during the space walk, it seemed very by chance I noticed I had an up arrow.

Teleporting and tree barf are tied for best. Teleporting had good logic and tree barf was just funny.

The stool conversation just hit my funny bone the right way, and it went on far longer than I thought it would so that just added to it I think.

The dialogue was great pretty much the entire way through and I enjoyed some of the darker undertones.

The boss fight at the end of Vella's story didnt do it for me; and yes the death scene of the monster felt very low quality compared to the rest of the game.

The stool conversation just hit my funny bone the right way, and it went on far longer than I thought it would so that just added to it I think.

The dialogue was great pretty much the entire way through and I enjoyed some of the darker undertones.

The boss fight at the end of Vella's story didnt do it for me; and yes the death scene of the monster felt very low quality compared to the rest of the game.

And every time you try and use the stool or look at it Vella makes a comment about it... That joke went a bit long but was still funny.

I agree with one of your gripes. I wish we had more times to interact with these characters. They are just wonderful and I would have loved to see more of gus or (Spoilers) see Walt'r's reaction when Lightbeard's ladder falls to earth, leaving him trapped up their. Hell, I'd like to see more of Lightbeard! But the game was still good, it kept it's focus where it needed to be. And there's still the second half where we could go deeper into these guys, their intentions, and their destinies. As for the snake puzzle, I'm assuming that is also something they're gonna save for part two - Shay might have something that can take it down and maybe get us to Sugar Bunting.

Best moments for me:

- Talking to grandpa in the beginning, love his grumpiness, also the family part was a pretty good start!

- The cloud colony overall was pretty good fun, nice characters, hope they will revisit it in act 2

- Getting out of the loop @ Shay's story (yes, took me at least 20/25 minutes before I figured it out haha) and being able to talk to Marek.

- Really liked the murderscreaming barfing tree.

- The temple guards

- The Navigator on the ship and the startrek references

Least fun moments for me:

- Staying in the loop @ Shay's story (even though I like the concept of getting stuck in a loop and figuring your way out)

Best moments for me:

I swear the Navigator has to be based on "Pilot" from Farscape.

Least favorite: getting Shay out of his routine. I mean, the solution is sooooooo simple that it made me feel dumb that I didn't think of it right away. I just...didn't consider it. I thought I would need to use one of the inventory items somehow. Why would I already have them if I wouldn't need them in this situation?

Favorite: The ending, oh yes. Shay falling down with his yarn pals and meeting Marek for the first time. The vomiting and screaming tree. And much else.

The Snake was there because they'd already made the WoodCutter's house/background and it saved time on repainting by adding a blockade in the way, or is that me being cynical? :S

Best moments for me:

I swear the Navigator has to be based on "Pilot" from Farscape.

So not from the film 'Wanted' with the tapestry of fate? :P

The Snake was there because they'd already made the WoodCutter's house/background and it saved time on repainting by adding a blockade in the way, or is that me being cynical? :S

Shay will have to deal with the snake in Act 2, just as Vella will have to deal with the whipped cream hill.

I just finished the game and it is very polished.

The story is full of potentials and the look is quite charming. I LOVED THE GAME and I can’t wait to see what happens next!

Things I loved:

Very beautiful environments.

Super nice music.

Very expressive animation. (I am a professional animator ad it is very well done)

I love to be able to switch between the 2 storylines at any given point.

Intriguing characters and amazing storytelling.

All the cereals are awesome.

Things that left me a bit down:

The first episode felt a bit too short, it feels more like the first of 2, 3 or even 5 acts.

The puzzles are a bit to easy side and I finished the game in one sitting.

The music is amazing overall but at times overpowering. Almost not necessary in some sections.

Some characters feel a bit under explored. I just wish there were more characters to talk to and interact.

I wish I could spend more time with the people in the cloud colony and interact more, do more puzzles and get to know them better.

All the environments are not really explained. I wish I could know more about the little robots on the spaceship, discover more about the various cities and creatures living in there.

I would have loved to see the cult-guy in action and understand y is he there; is he stealing the golden eggs or he is just pooping them. Does the mayor wins the elections? what happened to the woodsman and his gf? y are the trees talking and is there a place where they play a major role? Are the trees a callback to the Longest Journey?

Overall I would have loved to dwell more in this fantastic environment that looks so beautiful and incredibly crafted.

The "interacting" cursor was too big and this made it impossible to have many objects next to each other to interact in one single screen. I believe that this made most of the puzzles very obvious.

I finished the game in 3-4 hours.

If I had to describe the experience of this game in one sentence it would be:

It felt like being on a train watching, from a a small window, an amazing world zipping by, and, doing all the extra dialogue trees was like squishing ur face on to that window to be able to see that beautiful panorama until the last possible second.

The game is supercool and I am gonna go and play it again to see if I miss any dialogue!!!

Well done to ALL!!!!!

Honerstly I think drawing and animating the snake/hornblowing was waaay more work than redrawing part of the background.

And yeah, Shay will probably have to figure it out.

On topic:

I loved the ending, and the realization that Shay's stupid mini-game tied into Vellas story.

I didn't like being stuck on the Riddle of Yorn part. I figured out the answer, but I just could not figure out where to get a damn fruit.

My least favourite thing would be pretty subjective but I found the art to be a bit erratic not only in style but also quality but more so the animations especially towards the finale the monsters death etc seemed to me to be unfinished or at least unpolished.

This.

I think everything after cloud colony felt less polished than the earlier screens. Specially the ending cutscene and the final battle. It seemed unfinished or rushed.

What is this "Wave" bit someone mentioned? I don't recall being able to do a wave.

Also, as for my favorite puzzles I actually REALLY liked the Birthday Knife one w/ gramps.

Did anyone get a bit of deja vu w/ the gus quest? I mean, I wasn't able to solve it without some help but reflecting back on it, it reminds me a lot of the shovel puzzle in Monkey 2 (which was my favorite).

Yea, the grandpa knife puzzle was the only puzzle that it really made me think.

All the other ones were very obvious.

Hurray for GRAPMS!!!

Yea, the grandpa knife puzzle was the only puzzle that it really made me think.

In retrospective, I think I feel the same. The cool thing about the gramps puzzle was that you really needed to get to know the characters and their intentions and then come up with a creative plan. Later, you could quickly succeed just by picking up everything and looking at your inventory when stuck.

Well, I also had to spend some thoughts on the propelling device and the fruit, but just because I missed those two items when examining the rooms the first time.

THE GOOD

This game is BEAUTIFUL. I loved wandering around it. I think the general public are going to fall in love with this game.

Did I mention how beautiful it is?

The music is incredible. Just perfect.

The characters and the worlds were just huge fun.

Walking around in Nathan Stapley World.

The themes and how they intertwined.

The more mature tone.

The menu and interface -- really good stuff.

The voice acting.

The overall production quality.

THE OK

The puzzles were never particularly taxing.

I actually spent much of my time doing things without really understanding why: For example, Vella wanted to get back into the pageant, but I never understood why until I was much further into solving the puzzle. I also never quite grasped Marek's plan - the boom, the shield, etc.

Other puzzles I solved before knowing why: Getting the bucket hat. Making the tree puke. Covering the girls in chum.

THE BAD

There was a real lack of humour. When Vella tried to throw Curtis's stool at Mog Chothra, wouldn't it have been funnier for her to say: "What am I? A monkey?" When the Dead Eye God came out of the cryogenic chamber, all he said was: "My mouth tastes like death." Wouldn't that have been a great opportunity to say something surprising and funny? EDIT: I guess the tone was different than other TS games -- but there's comedy in life, so why not in games?

Shay was not great fun to be around: He moaned a lot. I know it was understandable given his situation, but couldn't he have been MORE wry about things?

The hyperspace animation outside the Spaceweaver's window didn't look remotely Nathan Stapley to me, really clashing with the visuals of the rest of the game.

Not enough Gus or Lightbeard! (This will no doubt be fixed in Act 2?)

THE WORST

After the wonderful, final, reveal -- the music just fades out in the most uncinematic fashion, killing all the atmosphere. And "ACT 2 COMING SOON!" looked a little cheap. I'm sure something could be done to keep the polish up in these final moments? It really wouldn't take much. Just altering the timing would probably do it.

THE BOTTOM LINE

I can't wait for ACT 2! And I'm sure I'm going to play ACT 1 many times again before then.

Sign in to follow this