Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Osan-gar

EA takes on Brutal Legend. Condolences guys.

EA is going to publish Brutal Legend? Bittersweet, man. Bitter, bitter-sweet. That BL finally has a definitive publisher is fantastic! That publisher being EA.... well, that just $UCK$!! As MUCH as I'd like to show my support for DoubleFine by buying BL on day1, there's no way I'll do that with EA attached. I'll be buying BL used the first chance I get.

I'm a HUGE fan of Psychonauts. Bought it on day1 on the strength of the demo. Psychonauts is Easily my favorite console game (Splinter Cell Chaos Theory a Very close 2nd) and I still play it now and again; still have my original disc. It was Really disheartening to see the game not get the commercial attention I thought it deserved, the kind that would have gone a Long way toward getting a 2nd Psychonauts game made. For a DoubleFine game to hookup with a publisher that has the financial muscle to Properly promote the game is Frickin' Great! Its just REALLY Unfortunate that, in this case, that publsiher is EA.

From its unconscionable activation / DRM schemes for PC games to its avaricious grubbing for Every Possible !@#$ing Penny in "unlockable" console game features (see NFS Carbon thru Undercover X360 DLC) to the Absolutely Absurd "support" it provides for Both PC & console games, EA continues to make its case for being the world's interactive media pariah.

imho.

So, thats it. Not looking to get all "rant-tastic" or anything. Honestly, I just Really want to add to the chorus of "F@#K YES, BL is gonna get released!!!!" and to let everyone at DoubleFine know how Much I'm looking forward to BL, witht the caveat that EA being the publisher means that I can't give DoubleFine as much support as I'd like.

take it easy.

Having worked at VALVe, a company which is in a similar agreement with EA, let me just say: You really don't understand how EA Partners works... EA is not so much the publisher, as the distributor and marketing force -- they don't make as much revenue from the purchases, don't make as much investment, and they don't have any rights to DoubleFine properties.

I'm not exactly sure the nature of DoubleFine's agreement with EA is the same, but if it is, EA will likely be distributing future DoubleFine products as well.

Also, EA is not as bad as you paint them as being. Lighten up, and try to be less opinionated.

hes obviously a troll (you guys already mentioned that though)

listen, dont bother coming back with the same attitude.

I love armchair critics of publishers. They definitely have a well-rounded and insiders perspective of the inner-workings of the videogames industry. Allegiances and Buying games (or not) primarily based on the influences of a publisher is ignorant. That's like saying, "I won't buy Nike tennis shoes because I hated that evil little kid in a factory that made the laces for my Nike Air Max- so now I shall not ever buy Nike again!!" Funny how the value of something is degraded at the mere assumptions that you would be supporting a "greater evil" if you bought it or not. I love bananas but I will NEVER eat one that is bought from Wal-Mart because they are teh EVIL ONES111!!! See, that's silly.. unless you are a banana farmer or a starving monkey that has no Wal-Marts around you (think of the poor monkeys!!).

Many, many, many, many DIFFERENT people are given the task or job to create a specific project that have had nothing to do with the negative connotations attributed to previous games or series.. even at EA.

I manage my expectations according to the total value, not just the face value or connotations that are smudged by branding. I cannot expect others to do this, but if you did- then you might suddenly see things from my less critical point of view.

Btw, buying used does NOT support the developers of games.. you know, those people who slave to create our beloved entertainment. If anything, what you are doing is only feeding the larger publishing entities to control more of the gaming industry revenue because smaller developers cannot depend on competing for that revenue aside from the regular retail channels (Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.). This is why I prefer to buy new, or wait to buy new when the games go on sale...

ANYways--- *opens beverage*

*kicks feet up on desk*

Peace out. /unsubscribes from thread and leaves thread forever.

I don't really have any complaints about EA. I would say that they keep shaking down players for money with the Sims games, but that's not them, that's Maxis. EA is just a publisher. So, yeah, no complaints here.

well, for me it comes down to one thing. (not the publishers history, or the way they manage themselves in the business world.) but as long as they don't mess with brutal legend and give double fine enough moo-lah to do their thing, i'm more than fine with it. plus, EA is responsible for briefly bringing oddworld back to life by publishing strangers wrath which was a pretty awesome game, i advise you all to go buy it. (also, whats a troll?)

Osan-ger: I'm really surprised that you are being negative about this great news. To say you won't buy BL new makes me a very sad Shark indeed. Not supporting Double Fine because you have a grudge against EA is super uncool.

EA have continued to prove that they are actually a real champion of creativity and innovation in games. You should read about EA Partners, which is what Brutal Legend is under and is what Chief Wakamakamu is talking about.

I guess I'm going to keep this thread open because I've spoken to a few people who have been surprisingly negative about this news due to having misinformed opinions about EA. I think the best idea is probably to educate these guys (nicely!), so I'll leave this thread open for polite discussion only. If it gets out of hand I'll close it and maybe even delete it in my anger. So beware. And no more angry replies back at Osan-ger unless it's a little tiny bit of anger subtley brushed over a meaty, informative comment.

i doubt hes coming back

Just a note I love how he says Psychonauts is easily his favorite console game with Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory a very close second. That makes close to no sense.

Osan-ger: I'm really surprised that you are being negative about this great news. To say you won't buy BL new makes me a very sad Shark indeed. Not supporting Double Fine because you have a grudge against EA is super uncool.

EA have continued to prove that they are actually a real champion of creativity and innovation in games. You should read about EA Partners, which is what Brutal Legend is under and is what Chief Wakamakamu is talking about.

I guess I'm going to keep this thread open because I've spoken to a few people who have been surprisingly negative about this news due to having misinformed opinions about EA. I think the best idea is probably to educate these guys (nicely!), so I'll leave this thread open for polite discussion only. If it gets out of hand I'll close it and maybe even delete it in my anger. So beware. And no more angry replies back at Osan-ger unless it's a little tiny bit of anger subtley brushed over a meaty, informative comment.

Honestly, ActionShark, it brings me No Joy to not support DoubleFine to the fullest. I understand why you'd call my decision "super uncool", but a decision like the one I've made is one of the exceedingly few ways gamers have to make their voices/ opinions not only heard but taken to heart.

I agree that EA continues to champion creative and innovative games. The Sims, Spore, Mass Effect, and Mirror's Edge are just a few perfect examples of this; not to mention publishing/ distributing BL. It has been my experience that EA also consistently demonstrates that it values profit Over and At The Expense Of customer care. The examples of my dissatisfaction with EA in my initial post weren't second-hand "hates" culled from "flame EA"-forums and/or negative press about EA. They are my personal experiences. So I, respectfully, take particular exception to you characterizing my opinions of EA as "misinformed"; "people who have been surprisingly negative about this news due to having misinformed opinions about EA." My opinion of EA's deal with DoubleFine may be colored by ignorance of the specifics of publishing vs distributing, but that ignorance doesn't invalidate the opinion I've developed by being a repeat "Day1" EA customer. The admittedly limited understanding I have of the videogame business tells me that to support EA Partners is to support EA, and after getting "fudged" over by EA and EA Support, I won't do that. Even if that means Not supporting a developer I Absolutely want to support.

Example: After Bioware released Mass Effect on the X360 and the game sold well, EA bought Bioware. I had picked up ME on Day1 and loved it. Loved it enough to buy it on Day1 of the PC release. Part of my rationale for basically buying the same game twice was that I've been a fan of Bioware since NWN and I wanted to continue to "show the love". After continually experiencing several of the well-documented technical issues that ME/PC has, I was directed by EA to uninstall/ reinstall the game.... three (3) times. And the problems persisted. And I was left waiting more than two (2) weeks before I was "granted" a 4th activation so I could continue to Try to play the game. This wasn't the first time I've had a problem with an EA game, but it was what made me decide that I wasn't going to support Any game associated with EA by purchasing it new. I've since then purchased both NFS Undercover and Mirror's Edge, used, and continue to be unable to login to EA Nation despite almost Three (3) weeks of contacting EA Support.

ActionShark, if I could afford it I'd make up for to the Nth-degree my not buying BL new by purchasing Two of everything DoubleFine sells in its store. Even tho my opinion of DF is based solely on my experience with Psychonauts.... man, I just get that idealistic vibe from what I've seen, read, heard, and played of DF. And I do take that to heart. And if there ends up being DLC for BL, well, its not like I can buy That used, and I'm gonna guess that I'm far more likely than not to pickup as much BL as I can find.

I hope you can understand where I'm coming from, even while not agreeing with what I'm saying. I AM genuinely stoked that BL Will Indeed see the light of day. And now that I know it Is gonna happen, I feel like I wanna check in here frequently to get as much info as I can and see what's up with other DB fans. Hopefully, other DB Post-ers will see from any other threads I get in on that I'm Not here to agrue or flame or troll or hate. I'm just stoppin' in to say what I think.

take it easy.

I preordered mine at Gamestop.

Wait, do I still get that free shirt? I ordered it AT Gamestop, but I did it right as that "first 666 people to pre-order thing"... o_o;

EA as a developer has garnered hatred from employees and gamers alike. Yet two-three years ago they abandoned the thrall and sought to assist developers and work towards improving their development standards after rising criticism within the industry; which is why we have seen titles such as Mirror's Edge, Spore and the upcoming Horror title from Suda51 and Mikami supported. EA are the best within the industry as a publisher, largely due to fact they have grotesque amounts of money and are able to fuel massive marketing campaigns, which ensures maximum publicity.

So one must understand that EA as a Publisher and EA as a developer have always been two entirely separate entities. They have a long way to go before they redeem themselves as a developer, yet if their work over recent years is anything to go by - that is certainly not impossible.

Similarly, my girlfriend flew down for the holidays. I can't wait to see her but she went with Air Canada and I hate Air Canada therefore I refuse to pick her up from the airport.

Similarly, my girlfriend flew down for the holidays. I can't wait to see her but she went with Air Canada and I hate Air Canada therefore I refuse to pick her up from the airport.

Ok...now that's just wrong in so many ways...

I personally am not a big fan of EA, but this is kind of a big deal and I'm very happy. Double Fine, I've always thought of as being like the band Pixies. They're this super-cool band/company that appeal to both the mainstream and the underground (or not so mainstream in the case of video games), if only they get the exposure. EA will give them that exposure. I can live with that. Hell, I'm applauding it. We could use more Schaferesque games in the mainstream.

I'm boycotting Brutal Legend because Shaq Fu sucked.

Sorry Schafer. You're a cool guy and I really want to see your company succeed so I can reap the benefits, but I would like for that to happen in a way where you don't get any money. We cool? Ok sweet.

i really dont care who were to publish BL i would still buy it. as long as im sure that the publisher in question doesnt try to control everything, and therefore making it less schaferisitic

Don't worry guys, I've got everything under control. To make up for the loss of this one purchase, I will be purchasing two copies myself. One will remain sealed and one will be opened and played. Disaster averted. You can all go about your regular business now.

.__. Seriously, he was just expressing his opinion. I don't think he did it in an offensive way.

And even if we think it's silly that he chose not to buy the game for that reason, it's not our place to convince him otherwise. : >

He's doing what he thinks stands up for what he should stand up for. If he's misinformed, we can correct him, but we shouldn't be rude. ^__^

ya ever drink a 40 of malt liqueur? its big and overbearing and by the time your done you can barely stand up, then you get into an arguement with you buddies girlfriend about abortion (i do stupid stuff like that when my girlfriend isn't there to babysit me while I'm drunk.) then like a fool you order another one because your bored just standing around while your friends nurse their pints of cheap generic beer and half-way through it you black out and wake up over the bodies of your neighbors and...... aw crap i totally just forgot where i was going with this.

Sign in to follow this