Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RealityVeil

Can I get some feedback on this review?

Here's the review I wrote, aside from a few edits:

Originally posted by realityveil:

Let me start by touting the virtues: The art style is really cool. The lumberjack is funny...sometimes.

Now on to the not-so-good: The art style, while cool, can be a little hard to read sometimes.

The jokes are not funny, except for the lumberjack, who gets a 4 out of 10.

The storyline is dull. Hell, the entire first half of Shay's adventure was an adventure about how boring his life is. A game that trying to be boring can't help but be boring. I get the irony of the whole situation, but...no. It's still boring.

There are no puzzles to solve, just walk around and click on things. The solumtions are blatently obvious to the point of being challengeless.

There's two characters, but there is literally NOTHING tying them together until the very end, and that connection is weak at best.

There are celebrety voice actors, and they do a really good job, but they had horrible, horrible coaching. Their inflections and the emotion behind the voices was...hit or miss. Occasionally lining up with what's going on, but usually just a little off. Again, except for the lumberjack, he did pretty good. Further, did we really NEED those celebrety voice actors?

The dialouge "trees", if you can call them that, don't have a reason to exist. You can just say everything on the list to everyone anyway, and there's no need to even do it in order. Since you can say everything no matter what, why even have them in there? Seems to me they could have just put the whole dialouge in cutscene format, where the dialouge flows in a reasonable, logical, and dramatically appropriate manner, instead of letting the player just click around.

Seeing what Double Fine has here, I don't even understand how they could have ran out of money? A small studio with a talented artist and metiocre programmer could have pulled this whole thing off with a two-man team as an interactive visual novel in the Ren'Py engine. I mean, hell, this is Double Fine we're talking about here. They are talented, creative, technilogically proficient people here; not half-wit, talentless schlocks. But they made the game of a half-wit, talentless schlock. There's no reason this needed to cost so much money to make.

This is a game for children. There's no challenge. I breezed through it. Only took 4 hours, and that was with a dinner break.

Just...disapointing. I expect better from DF. This is nothing short of a wasteful disaster. It's beneath you guys.

And to Tim Schafer, buddy, you're a great game designer. Your studio craps out amazing game after amazing game. It's truly mind blowing. What happened, dude?

It's getting ♥♥♥♥ on in the steam user-made reviews voting system, and most of the reviews it's getting from others are just raving about how good it is. Am I missing something here? Do I just not understand how to adventure game? Do I not understand what makes them good? Is the review itself bad, even if the information is touts is accurate? I just kinda want to know.

I thought it was awful. :(

Well, you did misspell "dialogue".

I misspelled a LOT of stuff. xD

Me and the english language are not friends, even though it's my native tongue. Appreciate the feedback though. <3

The only thing I would strictly disagree with you about is "A small studio with a talented artist and metiocre programmer could have pulled this whole thing off with a two-man team as an interactive visual novel in the Ren’Py engine." The amount of animation done for this game was extensive, and pretty high quality, and that costs a lot of money (sadly, seems to be where they spent most of their money). Thought the ending tied the characters together decently enough though. And though the challenge level is definitely at a 'children' level, I don't think the game is really aimed at children. Which is a problem.

Feedback: your opinion is your opinion, which is fine. However, throughout the review it comes across as petulant, naive and in some cases just plain uninformed. Reads more like a rant than a review - and not even a particularly enlightened rant.

Feedback over.

Yeah it sounds very rant-y, it's the overall tone which is off-putting. You also insult DF, which is not the job of a review.

All in all, it's a rant, not a review.

As a forum post it's a bit over the top, but a valid opinion.

As a review it's pretty terribly written and structured.

You are (probably) a talented, creative, technologically proficient person; not a half-wit, talentless schlock. But you made the review of a half-wit, talentless schlock.

You should attack his points, if you can, not the style he wrote them in.

I agree that the puzzles are not even puzzles. They are super easy. I know because I'm not super good at these games and I get stuck a lot with harder puzzles, like most recently in Deponia. This game lacks red herrings, and the number of objects are kind of low.

I like the art style, especially in cloud city. That was beautiful.

I don't mind that humor is not as heavy as it was in the Monkey Island games. I totally didn't expect the game's story to take such dark turns (like when you understand what a Maiden's Feast really is).

I don't get the point of celebrity voice actors (don't they cost a lot?), when you don't interact with their characters for long (you only had to talk once to Harm'ny).

I hope Act 2 puzzles are harder than these.

I think it starts off as subjective criticism but devolves into rude babbling. Ranting about the budget and the whole "two man team" part just makes you sound... ignorant.

You are (probably) a talented, creative, technologically proficient person; not a half-wit, talentless schlock. But you made the review of a half-wit, talentless schlock.

HA! I love it. <3

Sign in to follow this