Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jorw

Disappointed by Brutal Legend trailer

Was anybody else disappointed by the Spike VGA Brutal Legend trailer? I'm pretty sure that anybody who is a fan of Tim Schafer loves his games because of the storytelling, but the trailer didn't really tell us anything about the story. At least the trailer was in-game, which was nice, but I was hoping for something that would get the fans a bit more excited about what's to come.

What do you guys think?

No.

I think you are expecting too much, and not taking this trailer for just being a trailer.

Trailers are meant to get you interested, not to explain a story.. that is what playing the game is for!!!

one of these threads would inevitably pop up, and while I understand where you are coming from, kind off...

Not really. This trailer was meant to market to the blood-pumping, gun-toating audience, and in that regard I think it succeeded.

It was a trailer.

A preview. A taste. Besides, we won't be getting anything much better until the release gets closer.

Don't lose faith in Tim, his games as we all know are possibly the best games to ever bless this planet-- or dare I say, the universe?

I was pleased with the trailer, it fit were it was supposed to. It was funny but also pretty sad that in the crowd there were some people who looked like they had no idea who Tim was. They were like "WTF? This makes no sense."

It was a trailer.

A preview. A taste. Besides, we won't be getting anything much better until the release gets closer.

Don't lose faith in Tim, his games as we all know are possibly the best games to ever bless this planet-- or dare I say, the universe?

I haven't lost faith in Tim; I just wish the people who made the trailer could have created something more interesting. They're selling the game short.

Not really. Like, Cheif said, it was to hype up the crowd. To make them want to know more. To make them desire the game.

If you want the story, then wait like all of us for the real thing to come out.

Well, it's not like this hasn't happened before. Did any of you honestly get excited about Psychonauts after seeing the early trailers?

I think it's difficult to showcase a whole new game with its own universe and characters in a short 1-min trailer, especially when it's something as quirky and unique coming from Schafer. Contrary to those shooters out there where all you need to know is who to aim at, you don't really get a good grasp around these games until you can sit down and play them for yourself. I think that will be the case with Brütal Legend aswell.

The trailer was awesome!

The driving parts remind me of Jak II and III...

I dont get why people at forums and stuff are saying the gameplay looks bad! You cant even see how the gameplay works!

Anyway, I was hoping to see some melee-action gameplay...

But the trailer rocked anyways!

Well, it's not like this hasn't happened before. Did any of you honestly get excited about Psychonauts after seeing the early trailers?

I think it's difficult to showcase a whole new game with its own universe and characters in a short 1-min trailer, especially when it's something as quirky and unique coming from Schafer. Contrary to those shooters out there where all you need to know is who to aim at, you don't really get a good grasp around these games until you can sit down and play them for yourself. I think that will be the case with Brütal Legend aswell.

It.. it grabbed my interest... D:

I remember that trailer. I was totally indifferent to it, and then I saw the fuller trailer and my interest was kindled. Good thing too.

Brütal Legend will be great, I wouldn't worry.

Plus: watching the BL trailer a bunch of times makes it much sexier, I can assure you. It really does look über promising.

I was slightly down fir the first five seconds of the video but then jack black was like HELL YEAH! so i said the same....

read more at gofios.blogspot.com

lol for real tho i wrote about it.....

I think they could've shown a trailer consisting of a camel riding through desert sands, nothing more, and I'd still be excited for this game.

I was hoping it would be 30 minutes long and outline the entire plot of the game. And what's with the lack of nudity?

i think the trailer was more than good, but the only gripe i have is that i wanna more of the characters, like ophelia or general lyonwhyte or Kill Master. thats all. and the only part of the actual trailer i didn't like was the "what have you been eating part" i think out of context it seemed a lil' cheesy ( but JUST THAT ONE PART MIND YOU!) other than all that i think it was more than worth sitting through the all-american rejects and 50 cent

I was confused by the message about it being the beginning of a saga at 33 seconds into the clip.

I didn't like it much, even as something to hype up an action-loving crowd.

But that couldn't mean less to me as far as my expectations for the game go. My all time favourite game is Grim Fandango, and it wasn't until years after I had completed it that I saw the

. I hated it! But I knew that despite how dodgy the story looked and how humorless the jokes appeared, I knew that the game itself was the greatest. So trailers can be a bad representation of what the final product is like, as if anyone here had to be told that.

That's my two cents, anyway. :)

is that guy mental. I think the trailer gets you really excited for the games release.

Tim schaffer has another hit game on his hands.

Rock on tim and good luck on the game

Well I think the reason behind the disappointment was the trailer before it kicked more ass. The

kicked more ass and was more enjoyable to watch then the
is all. It just wasn't as great as the Debut one, and I think that is because the VGA ad had less of a flow. The Debut Trailer you can watch over and over and it still is great while the VGA you watch it once, and don't feel like watching it again. I hope that when they run the TV ads(if they do) they go with the first one with the end bit edited to fit how things are now everyone that owns a system to play the said game will come to play it.

Was anybody else disappointed by the Spike VGA Brutal Legend trailer? I'm pretty sure that anybody who is a fan of Tim Schafer loves his games because of the storytelling, but the trailer didn't really tell us anything about the story. At least the trailer was in-game, which was nice, but I was hoping for something that would get the fans a bit more excited about what's to come.

What do you guys think?

I don't think they could've shown the trailer that's on the Sierra site. It's like [CRUNCH] [FOUNTAIN OF BLOOD] (repeat five or ten times) [FLAMING FOUNTAINS OF BLOOD] [sEA OF BURNING BLOOD] with soul searing metal screaming continuously. Not even on Spike, man. S&P would would've had an aneurysm. This is Psychonauts on acid, ether, and pure adrenal glands being played by Hunter Thompson and Vlad the Impaler in the blood soaked ruins of post-nuclear Vegas. I can't wait. And, yeah, at this point, I'd buy an XBox just to play BL. From the look of things, I'll probably be able to get a new xbox for a century by the time November rolls around.

I don't think I've ever seen a gameplay trailer that really left me impressed. The thing is, we're used to movie trailers, but the thing about movies versus games is that every scene in a movie is planned out, concise, and ready to be recycled into a quick cut-up of iconic images. Gameplay doesn't have the benefit of tight cinemtography, so out of context it'll never have the impact it should, because it's meant to be played. This is especially true of games like Psychonauts and, I'd assume, Brutal Legend, which rely heavily on humor that depends on the player being familiar with the characters and game world. The last game trailer to really floor me was the full-cinematic trailer for Bioshock introducing the Little Sisters and the Big Daddy, and none of that was in-game. Same thing goes for the Gears of War teaser with Gary Jules' Mad World.

That said, this trailer showed me exactly what I needed to see to remind me why this is my most anticipated game of 2009 (or any year, for that matter). If you had asked me beforehand whether I wanted to see a vehicle-heavy approach I would've said hell no, but seeing Jack Black mow down skeleton warriors on his heavy metal wagon or plowing through rolling fields of green on a big, hairy, fire-breathing thing in action made me giddy. It looks like Army of Darkness meets, well, Psychonauts, I guess, and that is just fantastic.

Sign in to follow this