jkreisel

[Suggestion] Marek's Talking Animations

Should Marek's mouth move?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should Marek's mouth move?

• Yes
    • No, it's fine now
    • No, but his head should move more

Does it bug anyone else that Marek's mouth (if he has one?) doesn't move when he talks? I feel like he's communicating telepathically.

Just a thought. It's entirely possible this only bugs me.

didnt bother me, it felt a pretty natural fit with the character design. but I get what youre saying - it should be a bit weird shouldnt it. would be fun to hear the discussion around that decision at DF (if there was one).

i figured his mouth doesn't move because he is in disguise. that's a head-piece to a costume he's wearing hence why it wouldn't have moving lips. you can sometimes see a line between the head and shoulders when the camera zooms in close which i think is on purpose because it wouldn't make sense for all that detail to be hand drawn yet they mess up that. so it seems all intentional.

i figured his mouth doesn't move because he is in disguise. that's a head-piece to a costume he's wearing hence why it wouldn't have moving lips. you can sometimes see a line between the head and shoulders when the camera zooms in close which i think is on purpose because it wouldn't make sense for all that detail to be hand drawn yet they mess up that. so it seems all intentional.

That does make sense, I hadn't thought of that... In that case I think I would still opt for additional head movement though, to maintain the sync between words and visuals.

That does make sense, I hadn't thought of that... In that case I think I would still opt for additional head movement though, to maintain the sync between words and visuals.

if it does turn out to be a costume like that then yeah, maybe if they made the head wiggle around a bit more it would be better. like it was almost falling off. can't wait to find out more about it in act 2. the anticipation is already killing me!

Looks fine to me, but perhaps it could be improved a little with some head bobble, in classic Indy/Guybrush/Bernard style?

The fact that we don't see his mouth makes it more hard to read his emotions, and that makes him more mysterious.

So it's all good to me.

There is actually a dialog line about that, I think when you ask him about how long he has been on board (first time you have a dialog tree with him). Shay asks if he really is a wolf and then Marek tells him it's a disguise to blend in better with his other stuffed animals.

I hadn't gotten to the hints (and later reveal) that it IS a costume indeed, so I do now think the animation is quite fine the way it is ;)

In the latest part of the documentary (IIRC) there is a scene where Tim Schafer is shown the original animations for Marek by an animation artist. In these Marek moves a lot more. Tim orders the animations to be done completly new with less moving because he thinks Marek would otherwise look too funny and not serious enough.

Sign in to follow this