Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
J. L. Anderson

Broken Age Nails a 9 out of 10 on Polygon

Hey everybody,

Broken Age's review just got posted to Polygon, and its extremely positive (with a 9 out of 10). Congratulations to the entire team for making this beautiful game, and thank you for letting us be a part of it.

Review Here

Cheers!

-Jeremy

Usual game reviewer bollox.

When the game is complete it might be worthy of grading a bit higher, but Act 1 is no higher than a 6/10.

This is not by any stretch of the imagination a near perfect or amazing experience or whatever their "9/10" stands for.

When the game is complete it might be worthy of grading a bit higher, but Act 1 is no higher than a 6/10.

This is not by any stretch of the imagination a near perfect or amazing experience or whatever their "9/10" stands for.

;-)

Smiles

Here's a site that might be just for you: http://www.objectivegamereviews.com/

While I agree that reviewing a game that isn't even officially done is strange, I don't think something like this is worth getting upset over.

Oh, what's that? Someone has a different opinion than you? They must be wrong, then, huh?

Na, the question as always is.

What does a 9/10 stand for?

It is a overall individual fun/excitement rating, isn't it?

There are some 9/10 rated games out there, where I really think: For what?

Like ehm.. Crysis. Yeah I played it through. Looked good and had great mechanics.

But I consider a game like Dreamfall (which e.g. was an adventure with no riddles at all)a much more fascinating game. Because It hooks me from the start and I just don't want to stop playing (even missed school for "The Longest Journey" back in 1999).

From a technical point of view, I would say e.g. Dreamfall was a 6/10. But I will remember this game forever. And that makes it a 10/10.

And the same goes for Broken Age (as far as I can tell after ACT 1)

The question always remains. What does the numbers mean for you personally.

And that is a discussion going on since the start of Game/Music/Book -Reviews.

Polygon? Isn't that the site that didn't respect DF's wishes that announcements in backers only updates

shouldn't be posted until a day after?

Yeah, they won't get the 1.3 cents or whatever of advertisement money that my click to their site would produce.... :P

Nobody has any business "rating" Broken Age. You can "review" it, write up an opinion, post a piece online, even a professional article, but not review it. Oh, god, how I hate the state of some things... First of all, the reviewer, Justin McElroy, fails to either realize or mention that this is a beta (he does mention bugs, however). Secondly, how can you rate the half of something? Oh, yeah, Romeo and Juliet's a good piece, very beautiful language, and those romantic sonnets, but it feels more like a comedy than a tragedy, really. But I'm excited for Acts IV and V already!

Endings matter. Context matters. I know Double Fine have sort of been cornered into releasing something now, but it's not an episode of a season, it's not finished. Stupid article.

(Although, well, well-done, I guess, Double Fine, for scoring so high, I wish the game's a success.)

EDIT: Didn't Polygon RATE the PS4? Or was that another site? In which case they really should re-evaluate some of their policies, because I usually respect their approach to long-form video game journalism. And their site's pretty.

I'll be curious to see if the press rates Act II seperately or revise their reviews of Act I to reflect the finished game.

I would imagine we'd see revisions since you're not going to be able to buy a standalone copy of "Act II" (the game should jus update and it should be like it was one big game all along).

Nobody has any business "rating" Broken Age. You can "review" it, write up an opinion, post a piece online, even a professional article, but not review it. Oh, god, how I hate the state of some things... First of all, the reviewer, Justin McElroy, fails to either realize or mention that this is a beta (he does mention bugs, however). Secondly, how can you rate the half of something? Oh, yeah, Romeo and Juliet's a good piece, very beautiful language, and those romantic sonnets, but it feels more like a comedy than a tragedy, really. But I'm excited for Acts IV and V already!

Endings matter. Context matters. I know Double Fine have sort of been cornered into releasing something now, but it's not an episode of a season, it's not finished. Stupid article.

(Although, well, well-done, I guess, Double Fine, for scoring so high, I wish the game's a success.)

EDIT: Didn't Polygon RATE the PS4? Or was that another site? In which case they really should re-evaluate some of their policies, because I usually respect their approach to long-form video game journalism. And their site's pretty.

1) They were given a review copy. Double Fine has been handing out review copies so it is PERFECTLY acceptable to review it in that state, and happens quite frequently.

2) Polygon actively update their reviews over time - read their review policy which you criticised. He's already said on Twitter that if they fix those bugs for the release, he'll update the review text - and also the review will be updated when part 2 is released too.

"Oh no, someone likes something," is the most tedious complaint of our age.

A review is as good as the site's 'audience' gives it credit.

That said, I have certain people I follow and respect opinions of that I'd certainly check out a game they recommend. A '9' from Polygon is far from meaningless for Double Fine.

1) They were given a review copy. Double Fine has been handing out review copies so it is PERFECTLY acceptable to review it in that state, and happens quite frequently.

2) Polygon actively update their reviews over time - read their review policy which you criticised. He's already said on Twitter that if they fix those bugs for the release, he'll update the review text - and also the review will be updated when part 2 is released too.

I don't think it is [perfectly acceptable], certainly not just because everybody does it, that's my point. We're so fixated on reviews, in general, with everything (every comment section, ever), but even more reductively, focused on opinions. I guess it's what websites have to do these days. Review something that isn't done, instead of letting the thing sit for a while and do a complete write-up. I don't think, as I said, that it's wrong to write about Act 1. It's simply lacklustre to not point out that it's not actually done (why would a review copy be more polished than the Backer version?), and... yeah, the rating bothers me, mostly. It changes it from an article on the game, which I'd have thought was cool, to a hook to pass judgment - it just happens to be happy judgment. I also associate a review, aka "that thing with a rating", with certain parameters it has to hit (e.g. being comprehensive about the elements of its game instead of talking at length about story), which I dislike in this case.

Also, I do NOT think it's acceptable to have to read someone's Twitter account to get the comprehensive picture - I genuinely can't find a page dedicated to the Polygon review policy on the site (which would interest me just for the sake of it).

But, I apologize. I do think it's silly - but it's not important. It's a very nice thing that BA gets positive media attention.

I liked the game a lot, and I'm very happy for DF that it gets such positive reviews, but giving a Beta of a Part of a game 9/10 score, or ANY score at all is ridiculous. That bull**** artsy style of Polygon review also didn't help. Not sure if that is how they usually write, never read them before.

Escapist for example did a much better job of actually making a review instead of for some reason proactively selling it to the readers. Could also do without a final score, though....

ps. Full RockPaperShotgun review is up and it is simply awesome. I might not agree with everything John wrote (especially regarding controls), but the care and attention with which he treated the game is certainly unparalleled. I really recommend reading it to everyone with a bit of free time, in two parts no less :)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/14/hands-on-broken-age/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/16/wot-i-think-broken-age/

Sign in to follow this