Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Acheron

(Spoilers) Dialogue tree options exist before the "trigger event"

(1) I have come across a few instances where a dialogue tree option pops up before the proper "trigger event" occurs. Unfortunately, I wasn't taking good notes at first, and I only have one example (I will update or make a new post after another run):

SPOILER: After the spaceship comes under attack and Shay runs back into bed, replacing the Shay-duplicate, he wakes up to find Marek telling him to come down and speak with him about another rescue mission. If Shay goes down immediately to talk to Marek (which is probably the "natural" thing to do), Marek will explain that they need to go to "Prima Doom." However, I decided to explore the ship first, and went to the control room to speak to "Mom." In the Mom dialogue tree, one of the options was something like "We need to go to Prima Doom immediately!" I believe that this dialogue option should only be triggered after Shay speaks to Marek (i.e. until he first hears about Prima Doom).

Sorry if that was unnecessarily long-winded ;P

(2) When Shay first speaks to Marek after the attack, Marek tells him that they need to go to Prima Doom. If Shay says "How do we get there?" Marek will give Shay the star chart for Prima Doom (including an animation of him actually handing the chart to Shay). Immediately afterwards, Shay can repeat the question "How do we get there?" and Marek will again give Shay the same star chart (including the same animation of him handing the chart to Shay). This can be repeated indefinitely. I would suggest that the animation be cut after the first occurrence, since otherwise it suggests that Shay is being handed multiple star charts (or that there is just a loop bug).

Thanks for the report. These two issues will be addressed the next time we fully update the build (probably on Monday).

I noticed something similar in the cloud colony (I think). Some of the dialogue options included asking for names I hadn't heard yet. I wish I had more details, but this is all from memory. But I do remember being a bit confused by seeing questions about things I hadn't triggered yet.

I also noticed this but wasn't sure whether or not it could be that I hadn't paid close enough attention prior. For example, the line "Let's go back to talking about Meriloft" -- I think this line was available before I'd talked about Meriloft at all or knew what it was. Common sense can fill these gaps and the amount of extra dialogue required to fix would probably be prohibitive, but it can be a little jarring from time to time.

Sign in to follow this