Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SirComeStandChill

I like it the way it is.

Is that just me? I like the way the game is plain and simple.

I see people say they think the interface is clumsy. I disagree. I think the interface is efficient and that old point and click interfaces were clumsy considering you had to click through 4-5 options just to present an item to a character, and then if it was the wrong item, you have to click through those 4-5 options again just to present another item. Here you just click and item and drag it over a character. Takes you two seconds.

I see people say they shouldn't have made the game more story focused. I disagree. As a gamer I tend to enjoy games more when the story is the major focal point of the entire game. I think it's the most important aspect of the game.

I see people say the game is too short, it needs to be longer. I disagree. From what I'm seeing it took most people around 4-5 hours to beat it. 2-3 for the brainiacs (certainly not me). If part two is just as long it will take the average person 8-10 hours to beat it. Some people say that's two short. I say.... it's too early to tell. I can't fully judge a game until I have played all of it's content because I think the quality of the content justifies the length of the game. It took me 9 hours to beat uncharted 2. Paid 3x for that what I paid for this. Still worth every penny because to me the content of the game justified it's length.

So here's the thing. I think anyone who believes the opposite is wrong, but only to me. How any one person looks at design, and the value of a games length and its story is completely subjective. I don't see the flaws you've pointed out as flaws. I see them as design choices. How you feel about those design choices is your opinion but there isn't just one way to make an adventure.

I guess I'm just writing this for the people who may have also loved the game just the way it is but maybe they haven't played a lot of point and clicks in the past, and then they come here, see people saying "this isn't what a point and click is supposed to be like" and there whole view changes.

If you like it the way it is then that doesn't mean you know nothing about good design. It just means that your preference in design differs from what others prefer.

I'd love to be completely positive, but the interface bug me to much to jump on that.

I don't think the current interface was a well thought out design choise for PC. I think it was made to be easiely convertable to touchscreens.

Apart from that:

I like it the way it is. Love it in fact.

I'd love to be completely positive, but the interface bug me to much to jump on that.

I don't think the current interface was a well thought out design choise for PC. I think it was made to be easiely convertable to touchscreens.

Apart from that:

I like it the way it is. Love it in fact.

The interface seems to be a big no-no for people and I just can't understand that. Not trying to be hostile or anything but, in what way could it change that would make it more how you would like it to be?

The interface seems to be a big no-no for people and I just can't understand that. Not trying to be hostile or anything but, in what way could it change that would make it more how you would like it to be?

Right click to inspect item, single left click to use it on something.

Right click to inspect item, single left click to use it on something.

ok but it wouldn't be a single left click. Say it was a key and you wanted to use it on a door. You would click the door, then click use, then click the key in your inventory. How is that more efficient than just dragging the key over the door? I could see if it literally was buggy, or physically caused strain in your hand, but I haven't experienced any bugs with it, and its an extremely simple task to preform.

I know it's more of a aesthetic choice, but I miss the object description to hotspots, at the beginning of the game I clicked a lot of times on the same stuff because I thought it would be more "old school" with some pixel hunt. Then I realised this game was more in the vein of Syberia and Kentucky Route Zero than DOTT.

There are other stuff like that could be different (not meaning better) like dragging isn't "regular" in adventure games, right click to inspect (empty space to open inventory), openeable inventory during conversations, different actions (cycling with right click or with a contextual menu), etc.

EDIT: the difference is that instead of keeping the mouse click down you click once to grab object and another click to use. It's pretty much a convention.

ok but it wouldn't be a single left click. Say it was a key and you wanted to use it on a door. You would click the door, then click use, then click the key in your inventory. How is that more efficient than just dragging the key over the door? I could see if it literally was buggy, or physically caused strain in your hand, but I haven't experienced any bugs with it, and its an extremely simple task to preform.

No-no, I would drag my mouse to the button left of the screen (without clicking), to open the inventory. Then I would click the key. then clik it on different stuff I want to use it on. Then I would right click to go back to normal curser (or it would automaticly go back if I clicked the right thing).

the difference is that instead of keeping the mouse click down you click once to grab object and another click to use. It’s pretty much a convention.

That and you don't have to choose the item 2 times to use it on two differnt things.

You are by no means alone. The game doesn't fall into quite the category I was hoping for, but it excels at the category it is in. When I bring up elsewhere that the game isn't really a classic adventure game, I do so for the sake of discussion and analysis. What we got instead is something both better and worse than a classic adventure game, because it's something different. I think you're exactly right when you say that the things people are complaining about are design choices (though the UI could be better optimised for PC standards).

Certainly I wouldn't want Double Fine to take on board the criticisms of category choice; they've made a very nice apple for a group of hardcore orange fans. If they fiddled with the apple until it looked like an orange it wouldn't be good as a orange or an apple. Trite as it sounds, this is one citrus fiend willing to accept that oranges are not the only fruit.

You are by no means alone. The game doesn't fall into quite the category I was hoping for, but it excels at the category it is in. When I bring up elsewhere that the game isn't really a classic adventure game, I do so for the sake of discussion and analysis. What we got instead is something both better and worse than a classic adventure game, because it's something different. I think you're exactly right when you say that the things people are complaining about are design choices (though the UI could be better optimised for PC standards).

Certainly I wouldn't want Double Fine to take on board the criticisms of category choice; they've made a very nice apple for a group of hardcore orange fans. If they fiddled with the apple until it looked like an orange it wouldn't be good as a orange or an apple. Trite as it sounds, this is one citrus fiend willing to accept that oranges are not the only fruit.

There's just really no dening, it's an awesome apple.

That and you don't have to choose the item 2 times to use it on two differnt things.

Well, to be honest there aren't a lot of inventory puzzles to try to brute force one (or hotspots for that matter).

I feel the game closer to a browser game ala machinarium than an old school adventure game.

I don't think that's the future of AG but it's a creative choice (if you don't take into account that was made with tablets in mind).

that was the best metaphor I've ever heard 0.o ... im stealing for future arugemts

As a gamer I tend to enjoy games more when the story is the major focal point of the entire game. I think it's the most important aspect of the game.

Gameplay should always be the most important aspect of a GAME.

As a gamer I tend to enjoy games more when the story is the major focal point of the entire game. I think it's the most important aspect of the game.

Gameplay should always be the most important aspect of a GAME.

The interface was perfect. It didn't hinder my experience in anyway. I can't fathom the slightest complaint about it.

I really liked the game, I liked the atmosphere and the characters. I really liked the dialogue and the voice acting. Sure the interface was a bit weird, its very odd to have to drag things around in an adventure game but on the whole I liked the game. I can understand why people might say it is short but its half of something and put together it will be around the usual length for a point and click game to be honest. I think the textures were a bit odd though, the characters are so sharp and then they will zoom in for a scene and then you just see how poor the rest of the textures are.

I'd like to add my voice to this and say I like the design the way it is as well. It's simple, elegant and works well. It's simple enough that it can bring in newbies to the genre, and there's enough other exploration and puzzle stuff there to appeal to many of the old lovers of the genre.

Yes it doesn't give you the same amount of verbs that the old classic adventure games did, but honestly those interfaces are clunky by today's standards. Generally there's only one or two useful verbs with any object anyway, so most modern adventures use a one click interface (like Machinarium) or two click interface (which adds right mouse button as being "examine"). There are some made recently that use a verb coin system, but I still think those are still a bit clunky (better than the old Monkey Island system, but still cumbersome).

So again, I like it the way it is. Awesome job Double Fine guys!

Generally there’s only one or two useful verbs with any object anyway, so most modern adventures use a one click interface (like Machinarium)

Well, actually Machinarium is not a "point n click", it's a sub-genre called browser game (that comes from flash adventure games).

It's understandable since amanita was a web company.

Sign in to follow this