Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
doccolinni

[Performance] Frame-rate drop while dragging items over the background

In nearly all scenes, dragging an item from the inventory across the scene results in a huge FPS drop (down to about 2-5 frames per second in some situations). While the item is above an interactive object (e.g. a person) there is no FPS drop. Also, just moving the mouse pointer around (without holding an item) does not result in the FPS drop.

Since this may be system-dependant, I've copy-pasted my DxDiag here: http://pastebin.com/RKRz5irL

EDIT: Seems to be caused by the mouse polling rate.

I get the same, and running a GTX780 GPU - I'm pretty sure it's not that. Unless the game runs on the CPU, which is an AMD Phenom II @ 2.8Ghz. But still. Drag the ladder over Jesse's nest in Meriloft...

Here's my DxDiag: http://pastebin.com/8xexyaPy

Our GPUs are different but our CPUs are of the same family - AMD Phenom II. Maybe the game has issues with those?

I had this problem too. Specs:

Cpu: Intel i5-2500k @ 3.3 Ghz

Gpu: Geforce GTX 560Ti (latest drivers)

Ram: 4GB

Running the game at 1080p.

I'm running the game at 1920x1080 also. Haven't checked performance in windowed mode.

Same here - 1080p fullscreen, haven't checked if the FPS drop happens in windowed mode.

I had this problem too. Specs:

Cpu: Intel i5-2500k @ 3.3 Ghz

Gpu: Geforce GTX 560Ti (latest drivers)

Ram: 4GB

Running the game at 1080p.

Your CPU is not an AMD, so we can rule out the CPU type being a factor.

Is your motherboard manufactured by Gigabyte?

edit: It could also be that it is simply caused just by running the game full-screened, but I suspect more people would experience it then.

Then maybe it's just something that happens when the game is run in 1080p fullscreen, though if that's the case I don't understand how the Broken Age team themselves would not have noticed this during playtesting.

I'm also experiencing frame rate drops while dragging an object around the screen. Playing in windowed mode does not have this issue, only Full Screen. I'm using 1920x1080 resolution, and changing the screen resolution seems to have no effect.

I'm not sure if it's related, but the mouse pointer in full screen mode feels accelerated in general, whether I am dragging an object or not. The only reason I think it might be related is because the faster I move the mouse, the harder hit the frame rate is.

System Specs:

Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X3 (overclocked to 3.2 Ghz, 4th core unlocked)

EVGA GeForce GTX 660

8GB Ram

Windows 7 64bit

Razer Naga Mouse

All drivers and updates are current.

Maybe it is somehow caused by mice with a high DPI.

My mouse is a Logitech G400 and the resolution is 3600 DPI.

There's a topic about that.

1080p

GTX 670

I7 - 4440

High DPI mouse

I have those too but not in every scene, only in the cloud village.

I was also having this problem, but I was able to fix it by lowering the polling rate on my mouse from 500 to 250. I'm using a Logitech G400 btw.

I have the same issue, happens throughout the game.

i7 2600k

GTX 670

Running it at 1920*1080 ("p" makes no sense, it stands for "progressive" as opposed to "interlaced", all computers do progressive images).

Several people are complaining of the cursor acting strange, and I would recommend trying turning vsync off, as vsync lag is pretty prominent in this game, and if you don't force vsync off, the game will default to it on.

Haven't had this problem but for reasons I played only in window mode.

Similar hardware as I use showed up here already, so it might a problem with fullscreen.

Running it at 1920*1080 ("p" makes no sense, it stands for "progressive" as opposed to "interlaced", all computers do progressive images).

Not if you have a CRT monitor. Which, yes, most likely no one on here has, but still.

Also, I find that "1080p" is a convenient shorthand for "1920×1080".

I was also having this problem, but I was able to fix it by lowering the polling rate on my mouse from 500 to 250. I'm using a Logitech G400 btw.

So it is caused by the polling rate being over a certain value, not the DPI?

Hm, I presume most high-DPI mice also have a higher polling rate.

I'm seeing the same thing.

i5 4670k

GTX 570

8GB RAM

Windows 7

Razer DeathAdder 3500DPI mouse (in case it matters)

1920x1080

Not if you have a CRT monitor. Which, yes, most likely no one on here has, but still.

It doesn't matter if you have a CRT monitor capable of accepting an interlaced signal, as you would have to output interlaced as well.

In any case, using the term "1080p" makes no sense, as it's a standard for video (that includes things like a REC709 colour space). It has no place in a discussion regarding a computer game.

In any case, I can confirm changing my polling rate actually works (using an Abyssus, changed from 1000 Hz to 125 Hz, and the choppiness is gone).

It doesn't matter if you have a CRT monitor capable of accepting an interlaced signal, as you would have to output interlaced as well.

In any case, using the term "1080p" makes no sense, as it's a standard for video (that includes things like a REC709 colour space). It has no place in a discussion regarding a computer game.

This is just nitpicking at this point.

"1080p" refers to the resolution 1920×1080 with progressive frames, as does "HD 1080", as can be seen here and here. As I said, "1080p" is, in computer terminology, just a convenient shorthand for "1920×1080". "1080" on its own is just a number, whereas "1080p" means the resolution 1920×1080 at progressive scan.

There is nothing wrong, per se, in saying that your display resolution is 1080p or that you're playing a game at 1080p. In fact, it is the opposite of wrong - it is correct, because you *are* playing the game at 1920×1080 and the frames *are* progressive, though I agree that the "p" may be considered superfluous. But, again, it is a convenient shorthand.

edit: Also, I've just checked and the polling rate of my mouse is also 1000 Hz. I could lower it and see if that would fix the problem but I'll just presume that it would.

I have the same issue. I’m running Windows XP with SP 3, Intel Processor Q6600 and GTX 580 GPU.

EDIT: You're right about the polling rate of the mouse. I have the Razer Epic Naga mouse and it was set at 1,000 polling rate. I lowered it to 100 and the game works just fine.

This is just nitpicking at this point.

"1080p" refers to the resolution 1920×1080 with progressive frames, as does "HD 1080", as can be seen here and here. As I said, "1080p" is, in computer terminology, just a convenient shorthand for "1920×1080". "1080" on its own is just a number, whereas "1080p" means the resolution 1920×1080 at progressive scan.

There is nothing wrong, per se, in saying that your display resolution is 1080p or that you're playing a game at 1080p. In fact, it is the opposite of wrong - it is correct, because you *are* playing the game at 1920×1080 and the frames *are* progressive, though I agree that the "p" may be considered superfluous. But, again, it is a convenient shorthand.

It is a video standard. End of story. It has nothing to do with computer resolutions, computer colour spaces or computer anything. It's a specific standard for video. It's a subset of the BT.709/REC709 standard.

I get that people think it's just resolution, but it just isn't. Due to the popularity of 1920*1080 in the computer space, people have started using it as if it just means 1920*1080, but that's not what it actually means.

... and yes, you might call it "nitpicking" all you want, but I'm just providing you with the facts here.

I think we need to move this to PM if you want to continue, though. It might clutter up the thread.

I think I've figured out what is causing the frame-rate drop with high mouse polling rate.

When you're dragging an item across a scene, the game engine is constantly "calculating" where the mouse pointer is and which, if any, part of the scene it needs to highlight (e.g. you drag an item over Shay and Shay gets highlighted). The engine probably makes this calculation every time the position of the pointer gets updated, and how often that happens is exactly the polling rate of the mouse, so if the mouse gets polled 1000 times per second the game recalculates this 1000 times a second, which is a lot so the FPS drops, whereas if the polling rate is about 100 times per second that's not so much so the CPU is able to do it fast enough and the frame-rate doesn't drop.

The simple fix of this issue is to limit the frequency of this recalculation to, say, 60 times per second, or even lower, like 30 times per second.

This would kill two birds with one stone - it would solve this frame-rate drop, as well as significantly reduce the load in hand-held devices while dragging items around the scene, which would also reduce battery drain.

Add me to the list of people with this issue. Running the game on Fullscreen 2560 X 1440 results in massive frame rate drops when hovering inventory items over anything at ANY point in time during the game. It is most noticeable in Vellas' story.

I'm running the game on an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor 3.21Ghz (Hex core CPU) with 8GB RAM and an AMD Raedeon 7970.

I've just had a short conversation with Oliver via the PMs and he confirmed the analysis in my previous post. He says they'll fix this in an update soon, but until then lower your mouse polling rate to solve the issue.

I've just had a short conversation with Oliver via the PMs and he confirmed the analysis in my previous post. He says they'll fix this in an update soon, but until then lower your mouse polling rate to solve the issue.

Thanks for the update.

Nice one!

(and yeah, my mouse has a polling rate of 1000 Hz)

I'm not sure if the polling rate issue applies here, but using a Wiimote to control the mouse cursor I had serious performance drops during the Maidens' Feast scene while Mog Chothra filled the whole screen. Before and after this scene the pointer moved smoothly, in the scene the movement was very choppy.

I'm playing on Kubuntu 13.10, i5 Notebook (Dell XPS15 L502), capturing the Wiimote via CWiiD and wminput.

I'll try it again when the update arrives :)

Sign in to follow this