Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Krishna

Clicking on the inventory button triggers the "walk" action

Note: I experienced this bug often in certain scenes and not at all in others.

System: Mac OS 10.9.0, Intel HD Graphics 3000

Steps to reproduce:

1. Go to the scene with the talking tree, or the scene just to the right with the seagulls.

2. With the mouse, click on the inventory button in the bottom left of the screen.

Expected behaviour: The inventory panel opens up, allowing the player to select an item in the inventory.

Actual behaviour: The inventory panel opens up, but the mouse click also triggers the "walk" action. This causes Vella to walk off the screen to the left, back towards the lumberjack's house.

Admittedly, I didn't realize there was a shortcut to show and hide the inventory panel until I'd finished the game. So I probably experienced this way more than the average play tester or developer. I'd categorize it as low priority.

I've had the same issue. It seems to happen in larger areas, when the inventory button overlaps over areas that we can walk. It also happened to me in M'ggie's area, for example, and I found it rather annoying. I eventually tried using the I key for inventory, but I'd much prefer if clicking on that inventory button didn't also make my character walk off screen, often into another area.

I vaguely recall it also happening when I was just clicking on items to hear Vella talk about them.

I also am experiencing this problem. I'm on the scene to the right of the first cloud scene, where you get the ladder, but I'm not sure if scene really matters - I'm guessing it is just whenever the bottom left area is walkable to.

I wouldn't call this a minor bug at all - clicking on the inventory is one of the few pointer interactions you have with this game - plus I keep falling through the clouds every time I click on the inventory in this scene.

Late 2013 15" Macbook Pro using trackpad on Mavericks 10.9.1

This happens to me all over the game. It drives me crazy, I have to try whatever item I want to use before the character walks out of the scene.

I haven't reproduced walking instead of opening the inventory when clicking on the inventory button but when the exit is overlapping with the button, it's easy to click on the exit. I adjusted the exits so it won't overlap in the M'ggie, Dialog Tree, and Fusion Orb scenes.

I'm on a MacBookPro8,1 running OSX 10.9.1 (64 bit). I have the same problem when using the trackpad (enabled with tap to click). The problem occurs when I tap the inventory arrow (bottom left). However it doesn't trigger the walk command when I press the trackpad. For players frustrated with this bug, you can use the 'I' keyboard shortcut to open the inventory.

I just want to clarify that I'm running on a Macbook as well, OS 10.9.1, and that when this happens the inventory does open up, and my character starts moving to where I had clicked (meaning whatever the + button to open the inventory was). So in those areas, when I click that button, the inventory opens up and my character starts moving at the same time. So it's not walking instead of inventory, it's that they both happen concurrently when just clicking once.

We were able to reproduce the walking instead of inventory bug after another another thread described it in more detail. Walking and opening the inventory at the same time is probably related. We'll start looking into it. Thanks.

Sign in to follow this