Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Saoirse

Trolling

There’s something about this forum that makes me sad. I think the internet word for it is “trolling”.

Trolling is (probably) when people post irrelevant, off-topic or unhelpful things, usually to try and be funny or make a joke, or say something “smart” or “witty”.

Nobody likes trolls. Trolls make it impossible to have a decent discussion on a forum, because they are constantly trying to get attention over people who have relevant things to say!

There is an off-topic General Discussion area, which should probably be reserved for people who want to keep inserting random comments into every thread. But it would be great if people could keep those random comments out of other parts of the forum. For instance, look at the “Forum Suggestions” thread. It’s a really good idea for a thread! But is it useful any more? Do you think the busy people of Double Fine are going to filter through all of the randomness to pick out the one or two real, useful forum suggestions?

Most forums have guidelines that go something like this: Think before you post! If it’s not relevant or helpful, then don’t post it!

I’m pretty sure that most of you are here because you love Double Fine. One of the great things about those guys is that they have good senses of humour. Wait, did I pluralize that correctly? Well anyway, imagine if some guy from Double Fine was reading all your posts and cringing at how bad and forced your jokes are, and how you’re trying to be funny ALL the time. ‘Cause that’s exactly what’s happening (probably).

Not everyone here is guilty of it, but there are a lot of people who consistently post irrelevant/unhelpful things. I’m sure you all want this forum to become an interesting and vibrant place where you can exchange intelligent opinions with other like-minded people, yadda yadda ya (unless of course you don’t), so let’s all make a bit more effort :)

While it's true that the forum reads like a bunch of ADD children gone wild, it's not quite the same as trolling--trolling is when people post inflammatory statements for the pleasure of starting arguments. Spamming, maybe, is a more accurate term for what we have now, and general off-topic-ness.

The thing is, Double Fine hasn't posted any guidelines for what should be posted. Without moderation to say how on-topic you should be, it's anyone's guess what the busy people of Double Fine want us to post, and how off-topic is too off-topic.

I think that spam is more like when people post like this:

post 1: Gemme more Americone Dream!!!!!#"#!

Post 2: Gemme more Americone Dream!!!!!#"#!

post 3: Gemme more Americone Dream!!!!!#"#!

Post 4: Gemme more Americone Dream!!!!!#"#!

And so on...

The way that Saoirse describes throlling IS actually what happens when we post witty stuff outside the off-topic forum... It just fills the forum with stuff that dont matter anyway.

But so far I thinks it's fun enough because the forum ain't really big yet. I would see it as a problem if it goes on the same way with 100 active members =b ...

To be honest the main places this is occuring are the off-topic fourm and the Mystery Game forum, which were it not for the random banter would be empty :P

I think it'd be useful if some of the less random topics, such as the one about games and so on, were moved out from there into a more general forum. Off-Topic implies it's fine to degenerate into madness. Look at the difference between the two "Intoduce yourself" topics :P

Hopefully though things will settle down soon enough, and the random outbursts can be kept in Off-Topic. Doublefine might want to appoint some mods too, as then there's actually a system in place to sort out such issues (And, for that matter, some forum rules outlined and written down might be a good idea too).

And then, for instance, when Double Fine comes out with their new great game, the forum will grow more serious, because then we'll have something to talk about :D .

The only reason for all this randomness is because we love this forum, and as soon that we have not got anything to talk about, we get random!

Ah! The reason for the random posts is revealed!

I understand that the forum isn't very large yet, etc... but since you guys are the first users, it's up to you to set an example and to lead the way. I didn't post on this forum for a long time because I was put off by the trolling/spamming, for instance. Many of my friends are designers, writers, producers, programmers, artists etc. in the games industry, people who could probably bring a very different and interesting presence to this forum, but have been put off by the trolling!

If people keep being so "crazy" and "insane", then it'll attract more people like that, and keep driving away other people, and eventually it'll be impossible to change the nature of the forum…

The off-topic general discussion sure is the place for randomness, people should use it :) :)

We don't want to waste this very lovely forum that Double Fine has provided for us, after all! Go on, make Tim proud ;)

It is quite hard not to go off tangent. Especially on the interent. And especially with the kind of people this game attracts. Which is good, silly people. We are a crazy crowd. I myself am incredibly guilty of going off topic. But without our randomness, I would fear this place would die. Like our last forums, Razputin's Domain. Which we saw just wither away. Not because of the insanity. That was the only thing keeping it alive. But because of anger and lack of interest. People were being mean for no reason, and no new people/ ideas were being discussed.

I'm sure more new people will come once Double Fine's new game is announced. And this place will have more on topic threads that are all serious. Maybe we will be more reserved then. But what fun would that be? I think as long as we do everything in moderation (pun? sorry) and people stay kind to one another, this place will be a good place for everybody to enjoy.

There isn't really a need to post off-topic, irrelevant stuff... ever. You can all be nice to each other and respect each other while also having intelligent conversations.

You don’t need to go off-topic just to be kind to people. I’ve already privately messaged quite a few people from this forum, just to have nice conversations that wouldn’t really have fit into any discussion on here. :)

It's far nicer to have a quieter forum with better content, than to have a forum with lots of pointless content. That way we'll attract more interesting people. Otherwise, it's going to be the same few random people, being more and more random until everyone gets bored and drifts away... see my point?

Basically, if all the off-topicness was kept for the off-topic forum, that would be brilliant. It's only the fact that it leaks into the OTHER parts of the forum that makes me sad, because good discussions should be taking place in the other areas. Sound fair enough? :o)

I guess what really needs to happen, is for Double Fine to put up nice sticky thread full of forum guidelines eh??? Come on DF :P

Yea, I guess guidelines would help. Although I am more of a fan of the the insane, if that's what it takes to keep this place afloat, so be it. I guess I'll spend more time over in off topic?

But pop over here occasionally for the odd video game debate over a cup of tea and a biscuit (and the internet)? :o)

I prefer internet crouscants. But that's just me.

Edit: Just looked back on this and realized that this would most likely be considered spam. Oops.

Well, it was pretty obvious that at first there'd be a huge conglomerate of people going bonkers over the fact that a Double Fine forum existed and would tumble over themselves to post here and make their claim on a bit of virtual land and try to outdo one another in being funny and 'crazy'. Now that that initial madness is over, I expect this place to become very comfortable and pleasant, like a well-tailored Italian suit, and we can engage in discussion pertaining the good things coming from the gaming industry -and a small Bay Area-based company in particular- in an erudite and plausible fashion.

I just wanted thank Saoirse for saying this.

If it weren't for the fact that this is the Double Fine forum, I probably would have never looked at it again; because of some of the 'wacky' comments I saw when I first registered.

Maybe I'm being unfair? I don't tend to use message boards - perhaps this is just what they're like? : )

I just wanted thank Saoirse for saying this.

If it weren't for the fact that this is the Double Fine forum, I probably would have never looked at it again; because of some of the 'wacky' comments I saw when I first registered.

Maybe I'm being unfair? I don't tend to use message boards - perhaps this is just what they're like? : )

Unfair, no. Unrealistic for how a new message board starts out by having no guidelines or rules to govern posters with, yes.

Internet message boards are homes to many things, and wackyness is just one of many things you'll learn to expect from most of them. Considering that many folks registered here from other fan-sites, many of those people either already know each other and have found this as an escape from their dying fan-forums, or considering that these forums have no set guidelines in which to govern how things should be posted, it IS on the wierd and zany side right now. I'd suspect it calm down once the hectic excitement of "omg, it's a new forum I gotta make my mark" business is done, then it will be a more approachable haven for more mature posters. I'm having fun with the chaos honestly, like many others, but don't let that stop you from posting your two-cents. Most people are goofin off just because they can, and that likely doesn't reflect how things will or would be with guidelines or restrictions in place. It is pretty normal stuff actually.

Right now, it is what we all make of it. If you want to contribute something, then put it up! If you sit back and get intimidated by others that easily just by how they are posting, then you had better manage your expectations and not let things like that get in your way. This is your forum just as much as it is mine or anyone else's at this point. Have fun posting and if you want serious conversations, just make sure that you say so in your thread title in the offtopic area.

As far as this thread is concerned, the thread title should be called "spamming offtopic in on topic threads" NOT "Trolling". Please make the edit accordingly because trolling is completely different than what you are referring to here. Thanks.

Ugh. Forum-goers trying to be Jr. Mods. How annoying can you get? Stop crying. It's not hurting you son.

Yes, spamming is correct. Trolling is yes, inflamatory, degrading posting.

The lack of moderating is a factor, but keep in mind that this forum is fairly new and fairly small. It's unreasonable to expect people to fall into the rhythm right off the bat. Those of us who arrive now, at DFAFs inception have to ease in. Eventually, their will be a generalized code of conduct and manner of behavior that form, something forumers that come later on will have to conform to with immediacy. But read: eventually. Penny Arcade started up a new forum, and it's only a few days old. As of now, it's in jambles. But give it some time and people will keep to the pace. DFAF is/will be the same.

And keep in mind, a lot of what is occurring now is only possible with a small forum force. Once there is a lot of people, a lot of things are no longer possible. Forum games that pertain to certain sequences will no longer be possible at all[/]. If you want to enjoy them you have to take part in them now. And realize, that when a forum is small, you have a much better chance of getting to know your fellow forumites. Once it's large, it's hard to do so.

Ugh. Forum-goers trying to be Jr. Mods. How annoying can you get? Stop crying. It's not hurting you son.

No, this is simply people taking responsibility for what they love without even being paid for it or expected to do so. The place will be better for it. Don't feel threatened.

Right, exactly. There aren't actually any (active) mods, so all we're doing is asking nicely for the trolling/spamming/whatever it is, to stop occurring outside of the off-topic forum :)

No, this is simply people taking responsibility for what they love without even being paid for it or expected to do so. The place will be better for it. Don't feel threatened.

Being responsible for what, exactly? Again, it's what this forum is about. If it bothers anyone, then this certainly isn't a forum where they belong.

Xbob, if you have a problem with what's being asked then please do explain, because I'm not quite sure what the issue is. Do you feel that spamming should be allowed on every part of this forum? Or do you feel that we shouldn't be asking for the spamming to stop?

Since there is an “off-topic” forum, one would assume that all off-topic discussion belongs there. If it belonged everywhere else too, then there’d be no need for an off-topic forum, correct? So I think it’s safe to assume that spamming isn’t, in fact, what the action forums are about.

Well, what do you think it is, if it's not spamming?

I really think that if you're going to argue in favour of all the spam (or whatever you want to call it) on this forum, then you should do so properly, without resorting to calling people 'babies', etc. It's not helpful to just jump into a discussion and say "you're wrong and being a baby!" without explaining why you think so. I don't mean to be harsh, but you're being quite rude.

Please let's not resort to insults, trolling etc... if you have an opinion about the matter, express it properly.

Whoa now. Lets not all start fighting with eachother right off the bat in these here new forums. I think we are all too mature for that. If we have problems we can always talk them out rationally. If we can somehow make this place more accesible to more people, then I for one think it's a good idea. Maybe a bit of structure from forum guidelines might not be a bad idea.

I agree that we should be able to have good conversations, but some silliness now and then never hurts! Even in some serious discusions! That's one of the reasons I love this board! Everyone is positive and silly and happy!I love the sence of humor the DF staff and DFAF posters have and I think we should keep it! Trolling seems more like a mean person, but I havn't seen any of that here, which really pleases me. I think the silliness helps everyone to chill and feel comfortable!

You're all obsessed with these so called 'mean' people, are you all 7 year olds? oh mummy meanies are coming they will be mean at me and call me names, grow up.

As for your reactions to someone asking for this forum not to be filled with junk or so called silliness, which actually boils down to horrible clawing desperate "please time look at me Tim I can be funny" bullshit, let me jsut tell you:

Your comedy is horrible

ugh, you make me cringe.

Reading any forum threads as a 3d party usually doesn't end with chuckles. It's only fun if you are an active participant. I wonder why it is so many of you want DFAF to be real serious though. Oh, I can understand some disgruntlement if it is happening outside the Off-Topic sec., but other than that, you simply have to deal. It's not like other forums, which get very off topic but wheree people will be quick to pounce on you. At least here, everybody is polite. An again, if you want a more serious discussion in the off-topic forum, write [on-topic] within the thread title. It isn't too hard and I believe people will respect that.

You're all obsessed with these so called 'mean' people, are you all 7 year olds? oh mummy meanies are coming they will be mean at me and call me names, grow up.

You know. People who make comments like the ones you've placed around this fourm.

Were all silly, yes, but at least we can act kind and respectful to others.

The way you're trying to be badass

makes me cringe.
Seriosuly, if you don't have anything nice to say, just leave it at that, even if another person if bugging you. It's not hard. I have to do that alot with rude people in the real world, and the internet has more folk who think just because they're sitting in their computer room, they can say anything and nobody will care. Remember, these are all real people on this fourm.