Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Blasfimus

I miss having an intro movie.

First off let me say that I love this game so far. Unfortunately I feel it's not really the game I backed if that makes sense.

REDS team you have made a GREAT game don't get me wrong! But it being pitched as a classic point n click, I just don't feel it the way I expected to.

Now When I played the old adventure games at a young age, one of the things that ALWAYS stood out for me were the Intro cutscenes. I could quote them all word for word without having played half the game. They set the mood and let you know what was happening, kinda easing you into it. The lack of intro in this was very odd feeling. When I clicked on Vella to start, it felt like everything was a bit rushed until I got to the maidens feast. And although it would take away alittle gameplay, I feel like taking the first puzzle and cutting it into a cinematic, or even the minute before you enter the house into a cutscene and having the feast be the opening puzzle would feel better. I don't expect REDs to actually do THAT, but making some kind of introduction would be greatly recieved.

Now there's a chance I missed one that was possibly optional before starting the game?

It's like the game assumes everybody has already seen the trailers and just want to get the beginning out of the way. This is my opinion on the matter though and this isn't an attack so I really hope nobody comes in yelling at me -.-

I just want to say that I really liked the lack of an intro movie. I really preferred to explore the world myself and figure out whats going on as opposed to having a clip give me set up.

I, conversely, am glad. I've never actually played Day of the Tentacle or Full Throttle, because I get bored partway through the intro movie and go to do something else.

I'm in favor of intro cutscenes in general but in this case it would have been nice to have leading credits for the team. Day of the Tentacle's was highly entertaining!

I usually have nothing against intro-movies, I liked them in some games, but it really depends on the start of the game.

In broken age, an intro-movie wouldn't have made a lot of sense and could have ruined the moment. It's like in monkey island 1. A scene and music is all I need in both cases :)

Aww, there's no intro? I'm with Ya, got a soft spot for many of those myself.

After playing it - I only have two gripes really. 1st is that the puzzles are too easy... Almost to the point of not even being necessary. And the second it with the story. I think they should have stuck with Vella and left Shay out of it. Of course, the game is not finished yet - so maybe things will come together better in act 2.

It's really hard to judge half a game, so I'm trying not to be too critical at this point.

Maybe something like a voice narrating something about growing up and the idea of the game, then showing credits and at the end fading into the left or right screen? Also as far as easiness and feeling empty, we do all need to remember this game was funded entirely by us and was made on a fairly small budget by today's standards. And it had to be rather "rushed" in order to get it to us and to hopefully fund the rest of the game. If they had more time and money I'm sure it would feel a bit more full.

I loved the way the game started with just the two characters lying down (which was also resented that awesome tie-together at the end of the Act), and especially with Vella, the way you got the story yourself by talking with everyone at your party.

also loved that you "played" the intro instead of the usual cinematic. if it can be done without cutscenes I think it should, its supposed to be an interactive experience after all.

I, conversely, am glad. I've never actually played Day of the Tentacle or Full Throttle, because I get bored partway through the intro movie and go to do something else.

Your attention span can't be very long.

Personally, I appreciate getting into a game I've been playing in spurts quickly (e.g. I really like how Spelunky boots up and has a quick launch option), so I actually appreciate Broken Age not having more than a studio splash screen. The music and logo screen set a nice mood when I boot up for me. Not saying I don't understand the appeal however, I'm just voicing that I appreciate the minimalist approach to get to the menu.

I like the lack of intro. I think it's always better if you can narrate your story through the very interactivity of the game. Games like the Half-Life series took this principle to the extreme and worked pretty well.

I think Adventure games have had some of the finest intro sequences of any games, but I think that it was entirely appropriate in this case to avoid them.

That opening image of the two sleeping characters has been key to the main 'hook' of the game from its inception, and I don't think that simple choice at the start would feel as good if it had been preceded by an intro.

I also think the way both parts of the story start out limited and constrained and then open into a more exploratory phase is a good substitute for an intro: it has the same job - showing the protagonists in their routine before breaking it, but delivered in a slightly different way.

Both main games have incredibly long intro sequences though. Sure you can move in it but you will not get out of these compartments until they let you.

True! Bad example. But I hope I made my point clear.

I still feel the walk to the house would be better suited as a cutscene than having to click on her and have a very rushed conversation.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Hm... What could they possibly put in that cinematic to be consistent with the rest of the game?

Beginning of Shae part is in fact an intro, like in Half-Life, until you break out of that routine. But since you kind of steer Shay it is more involved, than simply showing a long movie of Shay doing the same thing over and over again.

Vela's part is designed so that you get to know the place and situation you're in through dialogue with your family at your own pace, which could serve as an intro to adventure games' way to do narrative for those who are new to them.

I liked the way that this game starts, with the two characters napping on either side of the screen. That was a clever way to present the character selection.

If you want twenty-minute videos, there's TV for that. When I'm playing a game, I want to interact with it. Aping another medium just makes it look like you think your own isn't up to snuff.

And it's not like there's no introduction. Shay's loop sets up his story rather well, and Vella's pre-feast party has all sorts of information about the Maidens Feast in it. You just get it by talking to people rather than watching a TV show before you're allowed to play the game.

If you want twenty-minute videos, there's TV for that. When I'm playing a game, I want to interact with it. Aping another medium just makes it look like you think your own isn't up to snuff.

And it's not like there's no introduction. Shay's loop sets up his story rather well, and Vella's pre-feast party has all sorts of information about the Maidens Feast in it. You just get it by talking to people rather than watching a TV show before you're allowed to play the game.

Yeah, because the introduction of Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle were twenty-minute videos. If you really skipped these games because you got bored during a five-minute opening credits scene I wonder how you can play adventure games at all.

It felt akward for me in the beginning, since I'm so used to intros in adventures. I understand why it was left out in this case, but still I think it would have helped to set the mood.

Bets intro movie in an adventure game: The Dig.

So cinematic.

One of the best certainly, though the graphics have aged I still get chills when I watch it, when you see the shuttle with our blue planet on the background and that fantastic music :)

You've got to be kidding, right? The absence of intro movie is probable the single most obvious improvement over the old classic adventure games. People were impressed with the intro of Day of the Tentacle because they'd never seen anything that movie-like on a computer screen before. We're well past that now. Broken Age sets the mood in an excellent way as is.

Partly due to nostalgia, but I still love starting up the first Broken Sword - the Revolution logo and then "Paris in the fall" on top of blasting brass tones always brings those mentioned chills, and the whole short but enthralling cinematic really gets me right into the mood every time (I was kinda bummed when they rearranged the whole beginning in the Directors Cut). An intro doesn't have to be overly long or drawn-out to be effective and memorable. It's not a big deal, but something that could definitely benefit and complement the whole in my eyes.

Partly due to nostalgia, but I still love starting up the first Broken Sword - the Revolution logo and then "Paris in the fall" on top of blasting brass tones always brings those mentioned chills, and the whole short but enthralling cinematic really gets me right into the mood every time (I was kinda bummed when they rearranged the whole beginning in the Directors Cut). An intro doesn't have to be overly long or drawn-out to be effective and memorable. It's not a big deal, but something that could definitely benefit and complement the whole in my eyes.

But those moments do exist in the game! It’s just not right at the start, that’s all. Is this argument only about the placement of cinematic scenes or what exactly is the problem?

For example, the flight on the bird is very cinematic and would be the perfect place for a late title card. It feels like an intro. Shay doesn’t really have a moment like that, but his whole repeating beginning (until he breaks the routine) feels very intro-like, in fact, it’s better than an intro since it’s actually interactive and not just something you watch.

Since the interactive parts of this game manage to be both interactive and cinematic (to the same extent of those old intro movies) I don’t really get what the criticism is about.

well an intro doesnt have to show gameplay.

I mean take Day of the tentacle. Intro sets everything up nicely, it gives some background and motivation.

Sign in to follow this