• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
nighthawk469

[Suggestion] Pendleton Ward Puzzle

Not a bug but a disappointing puzzle choice. Behind Jesse in the fruit tree area, I could hear Pendleton Ward shouting, and I got really excited because I wanted to experience his dialog tree! He was calling to anybody “above” and I knew that I could fall through cloud holes from before so I decided to fall through the cloud hole near the tree. The path towards Pendleton along the tree root wasn’t obvious to me so I went back up the tree trunk.

I still heard him calling so I tried falling down the cloud hole to the right of the tree to try and find him. …. Little did i know that was actually the puzzle solution itself, which knocked Pendleton Ward off the tree and sent him away, never to be seen again :(

Just disappointing how that puzzle could be solved by pure accident.

The number of people who accidentally did that one amazes me (you are not alone). That puzzle took me the longest of any in the game. I was tearing my hair out trying to figure out how to get him out of the tree.

The number of people who accidentally did that one amazes me (you are not alone). That puzzle took me the longest of any in the game. I was tearing my hair out trying to figure out how to get him out of the tree.

The holes are right in your path. They should be on the left side of the area, really.

I think it's not a good thing that we're able to 'accidentally' solve puzzles - I similarly missed out on hearing Pendleton Ward because I walked through the hole.

Maybe there could be an extra step here somehow? Near miss on first fall? Character sees how close and ajusts drop sexond time through? Im not sure but I agree is a shame to be able to accidentally miss all the funny dialogue.

Or maybe the holes could be opened in the clouds by a flock of birds that fly away the first time you meet the character?

Not a bug but a disappointing puzzle choice. Behind Jesse in the fruit tree area, I could hear Pendleton Ward shouting, and I got really excited because I wanted to experience his dialog tree! He was calling to anybody “above” and I knew that I could fall through cloud holes from before so I decided to fall through the cloud hole near the tree. The path towards Pendleton along the tree root wasn’t obvious to me so I went back up the tree trunk.

I still heard him calling so I tried falling down the cloud hole to the right of the tree to try and find him. …. Little did i know that was actually the puzzle solution itself, which knocked Pendleton Ward off the tree and sent him away, never to be seen again :(

I also had this experience. Really sad I didn't get to speak to him... (Hmm. Maybe I can if I go down into the roots first? I'll have to check!)

Pendleton Ward [...] so I went back up the tree trunk(s).
I see what you did there^^

I think this puzzle needs to be changed, because it is not logical.

When you enter this scene and fall through the first hole, you are very close to the egg.

But the solution to the puzzle is to fall through a hole thats waaaaaayyyy more in the background?

First I thought you had to spit the peach pit into Gus' trousers. Would have been way more fun.

There are some more problems with perspective in a few places, especially in the cloud colony.

And on the ship the layout is confusing at times. Walking three screens to the right to find a door that leads you back to the first room...

You know, this could probably be fixed super easily by flipping the whole area. If you walked in from the peach puzzle side, an accidental fall would be much less likely to solve a puzzle, and the peach may become more of an obvious point of investigation. I never bothered with the peach until I got the riddle later in the game.

You know, this could probably be fixed super easily by flipping the whole area. If you walked in from the peach puzzle side, an accidental fall would be much less likely to solve a puzzle, and the peach may become more of an obvious point of investigation. I never bothered with the peach until I got the riddle later in the game.

This is clever.

I also thought this "puzzle" could use just a tiny bit more difficulty. Ex: Add a branch by Gus at the bottom you can collect. And add a large board/plank/branch/whatever over the hole above him. Moving the obstruction would require the branch, and cloud shoes (so you don't plummet through). Suddenly the puzzle is a little less accidental, requires 2 objects and a tiny bit of thought to complete, and also requires that you have met Gus before freeing him.

I didnt have that Problem but sure would have hated to solve the Puzzle accidentally.

I also think it would be best, to add an additional step to the Puzzle so it isnt possible to free Gus before meeting him.

How about the Branch/Root he hangs from got bent (by his impact) and is now stuck a bit to the side of the Falling path. To hit him, we would have to get his branch free again, so it swings back to its original position under the hole. This might be done by simply clicking on some other obstructing branch, or Even involve a Tool we need to get first. If we fall through the hole before readjusting the branch Gus might say something like "that was close!".

Just wanted to add that people on the team did offer similar solutions as the ones mentioned in this thread but we basically ran out of time before we could agree on a solution.

Yay im not alone! this was the only place i got stuck for a little while (and hence the point at which i switched to shay and didn't come back till the end) - it did cross my mind to try falling through but i had already fallen through the first gap and figured it was just another "bird catch" moment.

I was disappointed that his freestyle lines didn't make it into the game - "yeh! cut my undies! cut em!" - which also threw me as i kept thinking that i needed to get the knife back from the shoe maker.

This touches on a point I made in another thread... much moreso than the classic Lucasarts games as I remember them, scenes and characters in Broken Age are single-use - you get one thing from the room or do one thing with the character and then never go back there. I think it really limits the amount of attachment you feel to the locations and characters.

This touches on a point I made in another thread... much moreso than the classic Lucasarts games as I remember them, scenes and characters in Broken Age are single-use - you get one thing from the room or do one thing with the character and then never go back there. I think it really limits the amount of attachment you feel to the locations and characters.

Yes, I thought this, too. It's strange how the scope of the game feels smaller when you just blast through areas without looking back. (You'd think it would be the opposite.) Monkey Island 1 and Grim Fandango gave me the biggest sense of "epic ness".

Ohhhh. So this explains why Gus never showed up again. I didn't even realize I solved a puzzle. After the bird took him away I kept looking for where he went and thought it odd he never came back. You definitely shouldn't be able to solve the puzzle without talking to him first somehow.

Sadly I "solved" it the same way and to be honest, I don't even know what I should have done to talk to him. Fall down another hole? I'm not sure.

I'm an Adventure Time fan and would've really liked to talk to Pendleton's character.

Dang. Playing through this again, the game makes a LOT more sense if you talk to Gus first... Looking at it again, I don't know why I fell down the hole at the back of the screen first. Weird!

To talk to Gus: You have to navigate to the roots of the tree, and walk over to where you found Jessie's egg. Gus will be there, needing some assistance. THAT'S when you're supposed to consider falling onto him. Judging from the comments in the forum, hardly anyone was even aware they could talk to Gus. They literally threw away that whole puzzle! What a shame! :(

I really wish they could do something about this, like covering that hole so that Vella has to stand for a few seconds and let herself drop or something -- but still letting the light shine through.

Edit: Here's what people are missing...

?ACT=36&fid=60&aid=3636_16oHRbsN3Muf8uDjojEK&board_id=1

2014-01-25_00021.jpg

2014-01-25_00021.jpg.6c8aa148f26d87c1955

Just wanted to add that people on the team did offer similar solutions as the ones mentioned in this thread but we basically ran out of time before we could agree on a solution.

Oh wow, just saw this post. What a shame! The flipping of the screen horizontally sounded like a promising solution.

Or just making the right spot a place where you don't fall through immediately -- like the rest of the clouds -- but where light is still visible (so there's a visual clue). That way a player will more likely move Vella away from the hole before she falls through. (I didn't even know it WAS a hole!)

Or just making the right spot a place where you don't fall through immediately -- like the rest of the clouds -- but where light is still visible (so there's a visual clue). That way a player will more likely move Vella away from the hole before she falls through. (I didn't even know it WAS a hole!)

Meaning you can't get there if you already got the cloud shoes? Not great. But it's too late now, anyway. These things need time, even if they seem trivial to outsiders.

Meaning you can't get there if you already got the cloud shoes? Not great. But it's too late now, anyway. These things need time, even if they seem trivial to outsiders.

Ah. Good point. Although I guess you could remove them?

Actually, I've just given it a bit more thought:

Gus claims he fell through a "thin patch" in the clouds, and he is wearing Cloud Shoes -- so maybe the patch could be something you fall through, even WITH cloud shoes on.

That would solve everything, right?

Actually, what I think is the best solution, is to not allow Vella fall through the hole on the guy (thus solving the puzzle), unless she has first talked with him. Being a programmer myself I find this solution the best, and very easily implementable!

Though, to be frank, I think that this accidental solution, is not very bad approach. It always happen in real life as well!

Oh wow, just saw this post. What a shame! The flipping of the screen horizontally sounded like a promising solution.

I really like this idea. if there was some UI tweak so that you can take off the cloud shoes and need to stand in the correct spot until you fall. there could be some visual cue from looking up below (a pattern of branches poking through the clouds). then itd be fairly unlikely that youd accidently do it, as you usually have the shoes on. and itd be more of a puzzle. and gus's hint could be that hes not wearing shoes, visually. maybe they hurt his feet or something

My 2 cents. At first there are no holes. During dialogue he shakes to to be free so a lot of fruits falls, creating holes. You go up and try to guess the right one..

covering up the hole initially, so that you cant fall through it, doesnt feel logical to me, since Gus fell through it as well. (or to make this work within the game-logic, the whole cloud/hole-Design would have to be changed somewhat).

Thats why i would prefer that you can fall, but not hit him - his branch swinging to the side from his impact/weight seems reasonable to me.

covering up the hole initially, so that you cant fall through it, doesnt feel logical to me, since Gus fell through it as well. (or to make this work within the game-logic, the whole cloud/hole-Design would have to be changed somewhat).

Thats why i would prefer that you can fall, but not hit him - his branch swinging to the side from his impact/weight seems reasonable to me.

I think, we have spent too much time on this puzzle. For me it is something insignificant since, the information you acquire, when talking to him is not relevant to some other puzzle!

I really like this idea. if there was some UI tweak so that you can take off the cloud shoes and need to stand in the correct spot until you fall. there could be some visual cue from looking up below (a pattern of branches poking through the clouds). then itd be fairly unlikely that youd accidently do it, as you usually have the shoes on. and itd be more of a puzzle. and gus's hint could be that hes not wearing shoes, visually. maybe they hurt his feet or something

I love the idea of seeing the roots poking through the clouds as a visual clue!

Uhm, you guys realize that the ship has sailed, right? I mean if you like to brainstorm what might have been then please continue. I'm just worrying that you think you can still change the game that is going to be released in two days.

Sign in to follow this