Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mudd1

So, who saw the ending coming? (Spoilers, duh)

I didn't see the end coming at all. I played before hearing that there was a "reveal" at the end, and although I was thinking about how the stories were connected, I didn't see the real connection at all. I was sort of expecting the connection to be far more tenuous than it was: I thought the stories would turn out not to actually take place at the same time and possibly not even in the same universe, so I pretty much could not have been more wrong. Good ending, though.

Played through all of Vella first, then Shay, and did not see the ending coming. And this is coming from someone who, the first time I saw Sixth Sense, turned to my girlfriend about 10-15 minutes in and said, "I wonder how long they can keep this up?" (the answer, in the end, being, "the entire movie, apparently").

And there are multiple Mogs and sometimes, I assume, they fought and won against them before. And they've been coming for years, right? So... what's that about? Is there more than one around right now? If so, who's controlling those (or does it matter)?

I realized the connection between the minigame and maidens feast pretty early on. I just was not sure wether it was just a 'coincidence'. I was afraid that the stories would not happen in the same time, but, to my huge relief, the end happened. I kind of like being forced to wait for chapter 2 now!

Didn't see it coming.

I thought that Vella's story was in the past, with Vella being actually Shay's mom.

Sorry to be confusing and condescending, was not my intent :S

By 'the whole thing' I had meant the ACT 1 ending of Mod Chothra was the spceship and Shay and Vella would meet.

(although to clarify, I had not suspected it would be the Act 1 ending until Shay lost gravity and the stars fell off behind him)

As convenient as it is to claim that after the fact, I suppose you can take it or leave it.

Ever met one of those annoying people who whispers the ending of a movie 20 minutes in? That's me ;)

Since you didn't sit next to me while I was playing, that's quite alright ;) No seriously, guessing the main plot at the end of Shay's story seems quite reasonably doable to me, even though I didn't. In any case, it remained a long shot since I have yet to see someone put all the pieces together so they form a coherent picture. Really curious for Act 2 :)

Yes, I was switching back and forth throughout the game, and definitely saw what was coming. To me, it was made a little bit too obvious by the fact that the last "creature" that Shay would try to grab had Vella's little hair doo-dad. Still whole-heartedly enjoyed it though! :)

Didn't see it coming.

I thought that Vella's story was in the past, with Vella being actually Shay's mom.

Some dialog in "spaceship" (in qoutes now...) of mom about maiden sacrifice made me think this to. It made me think mog chatra was the spaceship but in a different time.

Can't wait for act 2's plot twist. (No pressure Tim)

Did not get it, until I read this thread. DOH. Apparently too tired to think properly.

I did play Vella first, until the cloud part, then Shay all the way through. So I suppose it should've been more obvious.

Also, I definitely thought Vella was in the past and Shay in the future (and that the being-mom part could be that Vellas mind was stored in cryo or something), then when "Alex" appeared, I first figured it was an older "Shay" and the timelines where doing barrel rolls in Broken Age's multiverse. He looked too similar.

Never figured it out as being separate people experiencing very similar events over a long era.

I suppose it would've been more obvious if Vella/Shay had had more "milestones" where once was forced to switch and thus being forced to keep both storylines in the head at the same time. Since Shay's storyline could be played in "one day" and what Vellas implied that there'd been several days (at least two...), it didn't really connect.

Maybe it didn't help that I'm played it through being a bit sick either.

Still, the puzzles weren't challenging so I wasn't forced to think too much. Took 4 hrs :)

In addition to my above questions, were there any hints or information on what Marek might be under the wolf suit?

Simplest solution, the 'father'.

I guessed at the story once I saw the cereal "Soylent Dreams", after playing all the way through Vella's half.

The ending caught me pretty off guard. It seems so clear now (Maidens being the "creatures" Shay was rescuing). Now I'm just wondering how the computer Mom and Dad play into everything. I was also in the mindset that the computer mom was possibly Vella's memories reconfigured as an artificial intelligence, but I suppose that theory is out the window now. If a maiden feast is held every 14 years, who controlled the beasts before Shay?!? Is every maiden's brain converted to an artificial form to maintain the beasts? How does Marek fit into all this? Is the computer mom even aware of what is really going on? SHE SEEMS LIKE SUCH A SWEETHEART.

ACT 1 WAS AMAZING. I NEED ACT 2 NOW. I MUST KNOW WHAT IS HAPPENING.

I didn't see it coming at all, but I knew for sure Alex couldn't be Shay as an adult since it was just too damn obvious. I'm really glad I was right, and that ending was freaking bananas. I loved it and I can't wait for the next act. Please be longer, please be longer, please be longer...

In addition to my above questions, were there any hints or information on what Marek might be under the wolf suit?

Simplest solution, the 'father'.

Then who is creepy moon dad?

I guessed at the story once I saw the cereal "Soylent Dreams", after playing all the way through Vella's half.

Uhm, given the pretty wide variety of cereals, I doubt that they go through all the troubles just to provide one more alternative. So it's funny that this tipped you off since I'm practically certain that it hasn't got anything to do with the whole thing.

In the last documentary episode before the game's release, I noticed that the windows in the room with Marek and Mog Chotra's eyes looked remarkably similar. The Dead-Eye-God made me cast away my theory just in time for the ending to still slightly surprise me.

I only now understood that the last creature was always Vella and the stories literally happened at the same time. The computer's story of Sacrifice Girl prevented me from believing this.

I guess there will be some time travel up ahead.

Oh nononononono. That can't be why they are collecting Maidens, can it?

Whoops, I had posted this exact question in another thread, heh. The ending was a TOTAL surprise to me. I thought it was going the typical route -- that Shay's "rescue missions" would eventually lead him to Vella's world and that he would help her defeat the monster. I loved the twist that it ended up being.

MrKenney: I noticed the stars falling off and I didn't think anything of it! So perhaps we can conclude that all this time, instead of being in space, Shay was traveling around Vella's planet? But then, that doesn't explain why Shay passes out if you forget to attach the air tank before cutting the hose...unless that's just the "placebo effect" working there.

I'd made the connection between the hexagonal dead-eye pyramid and the design of the "attacking" space-ships Merrick (sp.) keeps worrying about, based on the art-jam episode of the doc and the footage we saw of Shay's story prior to the release. So I assumed there would be a connection there.

The ending came as a complete surprise. It was a jaw-dropper, and when the two of them settled into the familiar back-to-back poses, I was practically applauding. I can't wait for Vella to start exploring the ship and ticking off mom, that should be awesome. :)

Everyone is way more observant than I am or else I might have noticed the windows too, heh. Although I have to say this makes me glad I didn't read the forums or watch the documentary eps before now...I see that quite a lot of detail on the game was given in them, and I'm the type who hates to be spoiled on even small things like town names. It kind of sets up an expectation or wondering of, "So when is THIS (place/item/event) going to happen?" and I feel like I miss a lot of the enjoyment of discovery.

I was completely oblivious. Even knowing that somehow, somewhere, these two stories must converge. I kept waiting for that moment when the character switching would have a practical application -- when the parallel stories would have a purpose to the narrative. Then the ending just... happened. The first act seemed like an internal contradiction: obsessive to a fault about avoiding any direct, tangible relationship between these two characters, while starting and ending with them side-by-side.

What does it all mean? Sure, it seems pretty obvious Shay was helping capture maidens. What else? I'm sure I don't know.

I find myself struggling not to reject the ending as too much of a stretch, but reserve my judgement until Tim has had a proper chance to weave this thing together.

My original thoguht was that Shays story was in the past whilst Vellas was in the future.
Mine was the opposite of that, Vella's story being in the past, and Shay being a descendant of hers (but not her son)

Played Vella first, then Shay.

After seeing the rescued creatures in 'quarantine', my theory was that Shay was indeed steering the monster, probably from within the monster itself but I couldn't rhyme this with the size of his ship and the space surrounding it.

But I still thought that it would be possible looking at Tim Schafers other games (Grim Fandango, Psychonauts etc etc), where the physical world is always explicitly ripped to pieces and size is the least mattering thing in the universe.

My curiosity if I were right about this was a great stimulus to move on, and then being right was very satisfying.

But the switching of places at the very end came as a total, wonderfully brilliant surprise making me look forward tot Act 2 very much!

I had that feeling that it looked like the mog when standing in the room with marek, it just emediatly looked like a mog from inside out with all those eye like windows.

In the last documentary episode before the game's release, I noticed that the windows in the room with Marek and Mog Chotra's eyes looked remarkably similar.

Everybody's mentioning the windows but I really can't see it, even now. Yes, the windows in Marek's room look organic but they look nothing like Mog Chothra's eyes which in fact look geometric, not organic. Also the pattern looks totally different to me. The windows are close together, whereas the eyes are spaced out. And yes, I am aware of the fact that there are those hexagons all over the spaceship but a direct similarity between the window's and the eyes? I can't see it :/

windows.jpg

eyes.jpg

windows.jpg.3388a9ff3807f28f8a302b1344bb

eyes.jpg.cf0b9e008f238b6dea6e49c8c27776b

Everybody's mentioning the windows but I really can't see it, even now. Yes, the windows in Marek's room look organic but they look nothing like Mog Chothra's eyes which in fact look geometric, not organic. Also the pattern looks totally different to me. The windows are close together, whereas the eyes are spaced out. And yes, I am aware of the fact that there are those hexagons all over the spaceship but a direct similarity between the window's and the eyes? I can't see it :/

In that room with Marek, if you click on those "windows," Shay says something about how there are a lot of cameras. So I'm pretty sure that what we're seeing in that room is just a bunch of monitors and aren't the actual hexagonal windows that others have been pointing out. Man I need to play this game again really soon.

Huh, laid side by side like that, they don't really look similar at all. I wonder how I made the connection. I guess they just had a similar feel. If I imagine the monitors as windows from the outside, I picture something like Mog Chotra.

I guess the monitor room could show what all of the eyes are seeing? So the monitor room is the visual center of the brain not a direct view outside.

Huh, laid side by side like that, they don't really look similar at all. I wonder how I made the connection. I guess they just had a similar feel. If I imagine the monitors as windows from the outside, I picture something like Mog Chotra.

What the monitors are somewhat reminiscent of are the wrinkles and folds of Mog Chothra instead of the actual eyes.

I guess the monitor room could show what all of the eyes are seeing? So the monitor room is the visual center of the brain not a direct view outside.

That would be a really questionable design though because the beauty of hexagonal cameras would be that you can align them in a regular grid without any loss, overlap or gap. Why those weird shapes for the screens then, where you have to throw away loads of image information if you don't want to have any hex-letterboxing?

In that room with Marek, if you click on those "windows," Shay says something about how there are a lot of cameras. So I'm pretty sure that what we're seeing in that room is just a bunch of monitors and aren't the actual hexagonal windows that others have been pointing out.

Yeah, about those ... there aren't any hexagonal windows on the whole ship! Not one! The only things that could be considered a hexagonal window is the look into the quarantine room, right next to where Marek sleeps and the screen in the forbidden door. Both are not windows to the outside though, so they hardly count.

Again, the ship is full of hexagons but windows? Nope. So I'm really surprised so many people saw the ending coming because of the hexagonal windows. Maybe these researchers are interested in finding out that their way to create false memories also works visually: http://psycnet.apa.org/index.cfm?fa=buy.optionToBuy&id=1995-42833-001 ;)

Edit: I think I forgot the windows on the right of Shay's room in the montage below. Those aren't hexagonal either though. I really don't think I missed any other windows, did I?

montage_lowres.jpg

montage_lowres.jpg.dc2215b281ea3427c38e3

Sign in to follow this