C0mBineD

Make act 2 more difficult please

Is the game too easy for you?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Is the game too easy for you?

• Yes I hope act 2 more be more difficult
    • No the game is fine with this difficulty
    • No the game is too difficult for me

I loved act 1, very pretty looking game and great sound design! props for everyone working on it. There was always lots of things moving on the screen which made the world feel alive. massive props for the animation crew! And ofcourse the coders and writers ;) the game is very witty and funny and it works very nice!

(only when I checked the mailbox of curtis vella walked all the way to the back of the screen and then popped right next to the mailbox somehow but oh well I dont mind that.)

But I have one issue it was pretty easy. the only thing I kind of had to think about was constructing the deathray and deafeating the mog chothra. I dont know if it is a big issue to make something more difficult maybe give less hints or give hints when someone has been stuck somewhere for over an hour I am not sure.

So as a backer that is my feedback I think. very nice game once again I enjoyed it very much. And for everyone saying that it only takes 4 hours.. With an adventure game the game's length is not predetermined.

Also is there more than 1 way to solve puzzles? because I dont think there is and I remember Tim talk about that in one of the early documentary episodes.

I voted for 'yes' but I think it's worth noting that Tim has already said in the doc that Act 2 will be 'much harder.' It's obvious that the main criticism of the game so far is that it was too easy, and so since making it harder for Act 2 is already in their plans, I don't doubt they will make it a priority.

Good to know act 2 will be harder.

I didn't get stuck once in act 1, and I breezed through it in 2 hours.

What's there is amazing, and all that I hoped for, though. Charming, thoughtful, creative, willing to poke fun at itself... Everything we've come to love from Tim's brainchildren.

I voted for 'yes' but I think it's worth noting that Tim has already said in the doc that Act 2 will be 'much harder.' It's obvious that the main criticism of the game so far is that it was too easy, and so since making it harder for Act 2 is already in their plans, I don't doubt they will make it a priority.

ah that sounds great :) I have no doubts they will deliver an excellent act 2

I am hoping the difficulty will ramp up to the level of Machinarium puzzles, or even harder. The puzzles in that game were hard, but fair. As it is right now, if Act 1 was half the game, Broken Age will be a much shorter game than Machinarium.

You could have made the title less biased, a more neutral poll to see what the backers really think. This way, you have a selection bias, you only atract to this topic the ones who think it is too easy.

You could have made the title less biased, a more neutral poll to see what the backers really think. This way, you have a selection bias, you only atract to this topic the ones who think it is too easy.

In fairness, we're not doing science here. The selection bias is already in effect. We have, on this forum, people who have bothered to visit a forum to feed back about broken age. That's either double fine fans or regulars, backers who are particularly big adventure game fans or have something to say about it.

Just being on the forum selects to bias towards 'people who have a strong opinion,' and I believe it's well established that people are more likely to go out of their way to express dissatisfaction to satisfaction, that goes something like:

Completely in love with X = Likely to post about it

Quite likes X = Not particularly likely to post about it

Neutral to X = unlikely to post about it (though some do, weirdly)

Quite dislikes X = Likely to post about it

REALLY hates X = Very likely to post about it.

Only played the boy section for now and I think most of the puzzles were fine, but it was quite easy all the same. By just exploring I was able to complete most puzzles. I got stuck once or twice, but not rage-quit stuck. It actually reminded me of Kentucky Route Zero. And I loved that, so I'm fine :). I think Tim did an awesome job of having the puzzles make sense and have purpose. It's usually the "how the hell should I have figured that out" puzzles that make an adventure hard and I don't miss those.

However! However, I felt the game was too quick to give hints. The boy has a couple of comments that totally give those puzzles away. I'd prefer to fail once or twice before getting that hint. I, and I think lots of adventure gamers, actually don't mind getting super-stuck once or twice. So if they up the difficulty some, I wouldn't mind.

yeah sorry poll was added kind of last minute the title of my thread makes it a little biased. however I think it is not a biased poll in itself. I am pretty sure I covered all the options for difficulty

Even though Act I was easier than maybe a lot expected -- I thought it was wonderful in every other aspect! And, I mean, maybe starting out easier is a good way to introduce you to the mechanics and Act II was always planned to be hard? (And if not, I think DF should definitely take these discussions into consideration and make it at least a little bit harder if not a lot harder)

So... yes. Make it harder! Obviously everyone here loves the challenge! ;)

I feel like a lot of things in Act 1 were SUPPOSE to be more difficult but because of money things had to be cut, reminded me of Monkey Island 3 where you could play on Mega Monkey mode or just the normal game, in the normal game things were already done for you but in Mega you had to collect certain things and do them yourself! I kinda wish if the game does well for them to go back to Act 1 and maybe make it a little more difficult :)! I'm so excited for Act 2! My biggest wish is that they make it more explorable! I'm hoping we get a chance to see more of Sugar Bunting!

Sign in to follow this