Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ice2Cool

Extremely disappointed with Act 1

While I loved the art and the whole "vibe" of the game, I was left sorely disappointed after finishing the game.

I became a backer of this game after seeing it was being produced my Tim and because Full Throttle is to date my favourite adventure game (I play it almost every 1 - 2 years). If i were to compare this to full throttle I almost have to wonder if it was the same person who made both these games - especially considering this game took 2 years to make!

Maybe I know nothing about game development, but i cannot see how it took 2 years to develop so little. The story was clever and could have had a lot more depth, but the puzzles were severely lacking. The gameplay was shockingly poor - I basically spent the entire game going through dialogue trees. For the few puzzles that there were, i found them insanely easy. It almost feel as if this game was designed for children.

I dunno - maybe I'm being overly critical after waiting for so long for this game. *sigh*

I mean i played another game a short while ago called Machinarium and that was an amazing game I really enjoyed!

I rate this game 5/10 which is a shame because the art was definitely a 9/10.

And after hunting through the credits I now discover that my name didnt get mentioned in the credits as a backer =( I was a backer right from the beginning =((

The backers mentioned in the credits are those who payed $100 or more.

Full Throttle was made in 1995 (almost 20 years ago!). Technology has evolved. Games (and game language) has evolved. We're all really much older. :P

It's not easy creating a game. Game developments is hard. From choosing the engine, to creating the assets, a lot goes into making a game (have you seen the documentary?). Most people don't think about this, unless they're in this industry.

This is just a part of the game, not the whole game. But since a lot of the technological hurdles are well cleared, I believe Act 2 will be quite different. :)

Having 87k people watching you make a game must be really unnerving...

The backers mentioned in the credits are those who payed $100 or more.

Full Throttle was made in 1995 (almost 20 years ago!). Technology has evolved. Games (and game language) has evolved. We're all really much older. :P

It's not easy creating a game. Game developments is hard. From choosing the engine, to creating the assets, a lot goes into making a game (have you seen the documentary?). Most people don't think about this, unless they're in this industry.

This is just a part of the game, not the whole game. But since a lot of the technological hurdles are well cleared, I believe Act 2 will be quite different. :)

Having 87k people watching you make a game must be really unnerving...

DF has more than enough creative and smart people to design a Game with interesting and somewhat challenging Puzles. WadjetEye does that and those guys run on a much tighter Budget.

It was a conscious and greedy decision by Tim to design an easy game.

I don't think he was being greedy, I just think he was trying to appease as many people as possible. A mistake, but an easy one to make when 90,000 people are patiently waiting for your game while the hype is building.

If I recall correctly the game being easy was one of Tim own concerns, he said something like I hope people don't find it too easy and i will definitely make act 2 harder. After all our feedback I am sure act 2 will be pretty tough.

I really like the game and think we can't say it's to easy or to short untill we've played the whole game!

How could they misjudge those 90,000? I would think Everyone backing a "Classic" PnC Adventure would be pleased with a... well... a PnC adventure and not an interactive Storybook.

I really think the new Telltale money kinda made them somewhat rething their aproach. Instead of pleasing the 90000 they tried to please the millions of potential new Customers.

And just to be clear. I am glad i backed this Game. I loooove the Art and the Charakters. With better UI and Grim Fandango like Puzles Broken Age would be easily one of the all time Greats! Thats why i am so dissapointed! Its like a curse with DF there is always something keeping their games from true Greatness. Psychonauts - Meat Circus - stupid Arrowhead collecting = true Greatness. Brutal Legend + real side Quests = true Greatness. Broken Age - Smartphone UI + Some Puzles = true Greatness

I must admit that I was slightly disappointed in how easy the game was.The kickstarter project was supposed to be about going back to point and click adventure routes but it turned out even easier than telltale games. The game was gorgeous to look at but it lacked depth and even humour.

I'm hoping the second half will make up for it.

How could they misjudge those 90,000? I would think Everyone backing a "Classic" PnC Adventure would be pleased with a... well... a PnC adventure and not an interactive Storybook.

I really think the new Telltale money kinda made them somewhat rething their aproach. Instead of pleasing the 90000 they tried to please the millions of potential new Customers.

Exactly. It certainly seems like this was unfortunately their thought process. I suppose we're lucky that the game ended up being split in half. Now they have a chance to redeem themselves. :)

Exactly. It certainly seems like this was unfortunately their thought process. I suppose we're lucky that the game ended up being split in half. Now they have a chance to redeem themselves. :)

I don't think so. Tim explicitly said their approach was different from Telltale's interactive stories. And it is. I don't think that Broken Age is an interactive storybook/movie, just a simple adventure game. You progress through Broken Age by solving puzzles. VERY EASY puzzles, granted, but they're still puzzles. Telltale's approach with The Walking Dead / The Wolf Among Us is radically different (and I like that, but that's another story).

Even Walking Dead had moments(parking Lot, the TV and Radio Bits) on the same Level of Puzleness as Broken Age. And Walking Dead is widely recognized as a Interactive Story Game. It doesent matter what Tim says, his game speaks much lauder then his Words.

I agree. Act 1 is perfect in everything but level design. Puzzles are too easy and everybody is shouting the solution. I don't want to spoil anybody, but it's really annoying when a characters answers without being asked... And objects are really easy to catch. I'm not a big fan of pixel-finding, but I don't like to see that puzzle objects are in the middle of the stage.

The game had absolutely ZERO red Herrings!

I remember spending an hour in GF trying to construckt the perfect Haiku, cuz i thought i could impress the Hipsters that way :D

The game had absolutely ZERO red Herrings!

I remember spending an hour in GF trying to construckt the perfect Haiku, cuz i thought i could impress the Hipsters that way :D

Which is actually a really good thing. I don't want any items that exist just to be red herrings, it just artificially inflates the difficulty.

That said, what they can do to introduce that factor a bit more, is give us some items that seem like red herrings at first but are actually used in later puzzles in more unexpected ways. Tim's said Part 2 is going to be more difficult, so I'd expect to see that sort of thing a lot more there.

I think in Act 2 it will certainly play a bigger role than a "cute little visual gag". Whatever the gag is supposed to be, anyway.

And when/if it happens i will open up a new Thread titled "Tim you rascal, you!" with something like "What a genious way to set up blabla" inside the Body Potion of it. BUT FOR NOW i judge the Produkt i've recived on its own and for now it is just a gag/lil vignette/methaphor for Vella becomming a woman and coming of age/whatever you want it to be.

I have no faith in video Game Developers and never listen to the "Hey, it will be bether we promise!" Talk

Please, be careful when you edit a quote. It was not me who said that, it was Meangreendude. I'm not mean, nor green.

Thanks.

Machinarium's an odd comparison, because I think the actual "classic adventure game puzzles" in that were about on par with Broken Age. Most of the difficult parts in Machinarium were figuring out some logic minigame. I like Machinarium but I'd rather not have BA be overloaded with those types of puzzles.

Assuming the puzzles were designed before they decided to break it into two parts, it's likely that Part 1 ends just as the difficulty is supposed to be ramping up. I bet the full game experience will be more satisfying.

I think it's interesting that you used Full Throttle as an example. Having just played it for the first time a couple of years ago after growing up with the other LucasArts Adventure games as a younger man I felt that way about it. It's not that I was disappointed, but the game was a shorter and the puzzles were a lot easier than I remembered.

Maybe it's you that's different.

What's funny is that Full Throttle wasn't that hard honestly, both Monkey Island 2 before it and Grim Fandango after it was harder.

Yeah, Full Throttle wasn't a GREAT adventure game. The most appealing thing about it was the aesthetic and design of the world. I wanted to love the game because it was just awesome, and the story was great. I don't get that same awesome vibe from Broken Age like I was hoping...but it was still good, and I'm happy I backed it.

"The major criticism is its short length – indeed, simplistic puzzles mean the plot unfolds at a breathtaking pace. Although the quality of immersion is excellent, it is somewhat transient, no doubt leaving many feeling short-changed."

Taken from Adventure Gamers Full Throttle's review. So... yes, always the same criticism.

Tim's an artist and he knows he can't please everyone everytime. I'm really happy with Broken Age because I wanted it to be more "Full Throttle" than "Grim Fandango", even though I LOVE that game. But if Tim had decided to make it harder and longer it would've been ok too.

After all HE's the writer and HE knows what kind of gameplay works best for the story he wants to tell. We funded this project because we wanted him to make HIS personal game without the intervention of a publisher, but now we are bitterly criticizing his work, his vision, because it's not what we were expecting, just like a publisher would do.

Its ok to give our opinions, of course, but I've even seen posts asking Double Fine to change the puzzles to make it harder or telling them how long and difficult Act 2 "has to be". Let's not forget that we are just backers, not publishers. If we are unhappy with the results our only option is to keep our money in our pockets when he decides to launch a new Kickstarter project.

The snake wasn't a red herring for you? It certainly was for me...

Nah I figured I'd come back if I found any likely items, it seemed like it was the same thing as the locked door in the ship, lol. :)

I was more referring to red-herring items to be honest.

I agree with this topic, I'm french so I'll try to made my point as best as I can :

- puzzles are way too easy, especially for Shay (the boy)

- too few places to visit, a shame when you concider old great classic adventure games

- lack of humor, I smiled few times but never laugh

- as a result, the game feels "to short"

The art, dubbing and musics are great (french subtitles are good too), as the story is also good and I want to play Chapter 2.

But when I backed, all I wanted was a classic Point&Click; adventure game, as Day of the Tentacle or Sam & Max or The Secret of Monkey Island

I agree with this topic, I'm french so I'll try to made my point as best as I can :

- puzzles are way too easy, especially for Shay (the boy)

- too few places to visit, a shame when you concider old great classic adventure games

- lack of humor, I smiled few times but never laugh

- as a result, the game feels "to short"

The art, dubbing and musics are great (french subtitles are good too), as the story is also good and I want to play Chapter 2.

But when I backed, all I wanted was a classic Point&Click; adventure game, as Day of the Tentacle or Sam & Max or The Secret of Monkey Island

Sometimes I wonder if being a non-native speaker makes the humour harder to understand for you guys. I see people complaining about the "lack of humour" and just don't get it -- the game is very cleverly written.

Sign in to follow this