Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ephezius

BROKEN AGE > LOST: A compilation of lingering questions

***SPOILERS***

Man, Double Fine... I just finished the game and I have to say that I'm thrilled with how this turned out. The art is breathtaking, the music is perfect, the voice acting (as far as I am concerned) is unprecedented, and the writing... the FREAKING writing is unbelievable. UN. BE. LIEV. ABLE. This is on the level of the best movies, TV shows, books, and whatever other media is out there. The balance between a compelling, moving story and the humor alone is quite impressive... but throw in the complexities that the cliffhanger leaves and it's a whole other level. It leads me to one conclusion:

This game is better because we have to wait on Act 2.

Have you ever watched Lost? Of course you have... think of the season cliffhangers early on in the Lost canon. Remember when they found the hatch? The writers did such a great job of answering enough questions to keep us from getting frustrated (ha), while simultaneously provoking passionate dialogue amongst fans. What's in the hatch? Who's down there? What's the deal with the polar bear? Etc...

The writing for this game is so good because we've reached the goals placed before us in Act 1 for both Shay and Vella, but now the fallout of that revelation at the end will ensue for each character. The time between now and Act 2 will allow for several questions to be asked and even more theories to give rise. So first, my congratulations to the team on making such a masterpiece. And now, let us start to ask questions:

QUESTIONS

1.) Who is Shay's dad?

2.) Who the crap is Merick?

3.) What does Merick want with Maidens?

4.) How did Merick get onto Moth Chothra?

5.) Why did Merick try to protect Shay at the end?

6.) Why is Shay so important?

7.) Is Moth Chothraeven capable of space travel?

8.) Why didn't Dead Eye recognize Moth Chothraas a space ship when he helped Vella kill it?

9.) Is there any way that Dead Eye is Shay (i.e., time travel)?

10.) Does the Mother know that maiden's are being stolen?

11.) What is behind that door in Moth Chothra... the one Mom won't let Shay in?

12.) What's the deal with the feast being every 14 years? Does Merick steal maidens every 14 years?

13.) Are there more Moth Chothra's out there... more "Shay's"?

14.) How do we kill that stupid, stupid snake?

15.) What's the deal with Steel Bunting? Will we see that in Act 2?

16.) Is Dead Eye Shay's father? Or Merick?

ADDED POST-THREAD START:

17.) Sugar Bunting became a town of bakers (vs. warriors) after they started appeasing the Moth Chockra… How did that agreement with the Moth Chothra begin? Did Merick handle that?

18.) We have corroboration from both Shay’s “mom” and Dead Eye that they are outsiders on a mission to find a new habitable planet. Was that a lie fed to both of them? If that’s not their mission, what is?

19.) Why does Dead-Eye's ship look different from Moth-Chothra? (Remember, the Pyramid)

20.) Is Moth Chothra simply a ship, or is it actually a creature? And if so, is the mom Moth Chothra?

Feel free to tack on questions and theories here... my theory is that maidens are being kidnapped as a future re-population effort on a new planet... like a Noah's ark of sorts, but who know!

Thanks Double Fine!

I thought Steel Bunting was what the town of Sugar Bunting (or whatever it was) used to be called. The grandfather did say they used to be warriors.

NICE! I bet you're right! They became sugar bunting after they started appeasing the Moth Chockra... which is another question. How did that "treaty" begin?

First of all: it's MAREK, not Merick. :P

Shay's life it's a lot like "The Truman Show". He's been living a lie, and we know nothing about it (other than a few things).

What's with the wool theme?

Everything is woven in Shay's "ship". I find this really interesting. (Btw: being as there was a lot of woven thing in the ship, I found it a little disappointing that Shay had that techie blanket. Why not a nice woven one?)

Bear in mind that the villages are themed: the bakers village, the cloudy cult village, the seamen village. Will we see the Weavers Village?

Also, is Shay's ship a reference to Loom?

I just wonder why marek told shay he should know which maidens to pick... and what would shay do with the picked maidens after he picked them... if it's the obvious thing you do with a maiden this game isn't really monogamous :P or is it the intention that "the one" resists.

Also how can MOM be oblivious to marek, I think she can't, I think mom is in on it!

Yeah, I also wonder about the intuition Shay is supposed to have according to Marek.

Also, what's up with the whole charade around Shay, not only by Mom but also by Marek? Why is Shay raised by a computer? Is Marek also an A.I. designed to lead him into his rebel phase, to fulfill his desire of taking responsibility and doing something "real"?

QUESTIONS

1.) Who is Shay's dad? Could it be Dead-Eye?

It seems fairly obvius. The interesting question is, why do we find out he has a spaceship right around the time were we find out Shea issent on one?

2.) Who the crap is Merick?

To me it felt a lot like he was just another adventure installed by the ship to entertain us. Mostly because how simple it was and how cute/classic the grabbing game worked. So for now i think he is just one of the knitted creatures in a costume and not the wizzard of oz.

3.) What does Merick want with Maidens?

Rated R game. 14 years later Shea is 14. DunDunDun. The question is, who is Shay suposed to be sacraficed to now?

4.) How did Merick get onto Moth Chockra?

He always was in.

5.) Why did Merick try to protect Shay at the end?

Because he is part of the game the ship designed for Shay.

6.) Why is Shay so important?

Because he will turn out to be the actuale sacrafice.

7.) Is Moth Chockra even capable of space travel?

No.

8.) Why didn't Dead Eye recognize Moth Chockra as a space ship?

Because it issent one?

9.) Is there any way that Dead Eye is Shay (i.e., time travel)?

Thought of that to, yes. But timetravel is a dangerus plot device. Often turns into terrible logic holes.

10.) Does the Mother know that maiden's are being stolen?

Of cause she dos.

11.) What is behind that door in Moth Chokra... the one Mom won't let Shay in?

The maiden collection for Shay. Rated R game. This is so creepy. 14 years later "Broken Age 2"

12.) What's the deal with the feast being every 14 years? Does Merick steal maidens every 14 years?

Every 14 years a boy needs to be feed to.......

13.) Are there more Moth Chockra's out there... more "Shay's"?

1. No. 2. There were. If Alex slept for 300 years there have been 21.42 Shays by now. An since 42 is the answer to everything the current Shay will break the cycle.

14.) How do we kill that stupid, stupid snake?

You do not kill the snake, you become one with the snake.

15.) What's the deal with Steel Bunting? Will we see that in Act 2?

It´s the old version of the bakers town. Maybe we will. Time Travel. Things getting back to what they were. Vale becomming King Joffrey and takeing over the world. Maybe.

16.) Is Dead Eye Shay's father?

I strongly assume yes.

ADDED POST-THREAD START:

17.) Sugar Bunting became a town of bakers (vs. warriors) after they started appeasing the Moth Chockra… How did that agreement with the Moth Chokra begin? Did Merick handle that?

I am 100% certain there will be a strong wizard of oz reference. I somehow doubt the Wolf will be it. Mother/Father are behind all of this.

Dead Eye can't be Shay's father. He was stranded on the island 300 years ago.

Shay had to be frozen 300 years as well for that to make sense.

Actually this thread shows how good the game actually is story wise :) I have full confidence Act II will kick ass.

Presumably, it all comes down to the life cycle of the Mogs.

So, they're essentially robots. For whatever reason, they can't reproduce on their own. They need humans to encode into their AI.

So, they keep a human boy inside and look after him until he's a teenager. Then, they go out and collect human girls (presumably this is Mom's 'surprise'...) for the boy to breed with, getting the boy's help in deciding which ones he wants (why, Tim??). The male offspring are put inside new Mogs; the female offspring are placed throughout the human population, with their mind subtly altered so they will encourage everyone to go along with the sacrifice rituals and resist any attempts to fight back. And the new Mog's AI is encoded from the parents of the boy it contains (i.e. the previous boy, and whichever girl was... yeah).

A couple of you have suggested something like this, but I'm not yet fully convinced... we have corroboration from both Shay's "mom" and Dead Eye that they are outsiders on a mission to find a new habitable planet. Was that a lie fed to both of them? If that's not their mission, what is? Also, Dead Eye was on Vella's planet for years before using cryogenics, so he would have figured out if he was in a version of Moth Chothra by then, right? Why didn't he recognize Moth Chothra when he was helping Vella kill it? Does his ship look different? (Remember, the Pyramid)

Dead Eye can’t be Shay’s father. He was stranded on the island 300 years ago.

Shay had to be frozen 300 years as well for that to make sense.

That's a good point that brings up more questions... if Dead Eye has been frozen for 300 years, then he presumably started his mission some 320-330 years ago. That means that either a.) the planet didn't actually become uninhabitable for roughly 310 years before Shay was sent on his mission or b.) the Moth Chothra has some sort of cryogenic effect on Shay and he is actually 300-something years old. I'm less inclined to believe the latter, as I'm sure he would have tired of his childish routine before this time.

Finally, here is another theory. What if Merick was a "Shay" before Shay. In other words, what if Shay will grow up, have a child, and then become the wolf to aid his son? It's a little far-fetched, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Awesome ideas on this thread, folks!

That's a good point that brings up more questions... if Dead Eye has been frozen for 300 years, then he presumably started his mission some 320-330 years ago. That means that either a.) the planet didn't actually become uninhabitable for roughly 310 years before Shay was sent on his mission or b.) the Moth Chothra has some sort of cryogenic effect on Shay and he is actually 300-something years old. I'm less inclined to believe the latter, as I'm sure he would have tired of his childish routine before this time.

If I remember correctly, Alex also referred to "Project Dandelion", which might be the code name for the "find a new planet" mission, so I assume the planet was already screwed up back then.

One other thing that I vaguely remember is that Mog Chothra is only the name of the current Mog, i.e. there's a new Mog every ~14 years. So what happens to a Mog (and its operator, aka Shay) after it has collected Maidens and returns to its homeland (the forbidden area "where the Mogs, it is imagined, breed")?

The robot life cycle idea sounds interesting, but it does not quite fit with Alex, since I think we can believe him that he actually was a space traveler who crashed on this planet. I don't know if we have enough information yet, but I can only come up with wild guesses. Maybe the ship's AI was left running and came up with the whole Mog spaceship charade as a way to keep carrying out its original mission, even though there was no way of going back to space...

"Mom" also tells the story of sacrifice girl, which is supposedly based on her. This lends credence to the idea that the A.I. was made using Shay's biological mother, who was a sacrifice to one of the previous mogs. This is reinforced by the knowledge that it was 14 years since the last mog came for sacrifices, and Shay is about 14 years old. So, mog comes, collects girls, girls make baby with boy imprisoned in mog. Boy and girl become A.I. systems in mog and raise baby within? Then again, all parts of the ship besides Marek seemed to be actively trying to prevent him from interacting with the real world. If this ship is the mog, and the mog's purpose is to go around collecting maidens, what gives? Maybe that's not the actual purpose of the mog. Maybe the mogs were a means of protecting and breeding the passengers of the colonizing ship that landed 300 years before, and they're either out of control or out of touch with the state of the world and just acting on old protocols? Augh I don't understand. x.x Guess I'll have to wait for Act II with everyone else.

Also, contemplating why the A.I. leads Shay to believe he is in space, I assume it's to make him feel like there is no place for him to go even if he tries to run away. If he's trapped in a big floating cthulu monster on a planet, he could conceivably get out, but in space how do you get away?

Also also, I assume based on what happened from Shay's side when he collected the maidens from Sugar Bunting that their town was not destroyed. So that's nice at least.

Oh please! I really hope Act 2 won't be like the "answers" we got in LOST. To this day, I regret the time I invested in that show for all the stupid dangling mysteries the writers shoehorned into the plot.

That said, I do like the little plot threads we have gotten in Act 1. That reveal at the end was pretty amazing, especially since Dead Eye made me think it was going another way first. Hopefully Act 2 will pay off more with that story, and we find out some answers. It would be a shame if the set up had little pay off. (And hopefully the puzzles will be much harder too)

Reading this, and other threads, I feel like I am pretty slow, since I didn't see most of this until reading it, and then it all makes sense. It also makes me wish there was some way to chapter select or something, because I didn't encounter any snake, and I'm stuck in the cutscene of Vella waking up on the beach.

Sign in to follow this