Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MusicallyInspired

Poll: How difficult was the game for you?

This might be a bit of a convoluted poll, but I'm intrigued to gauge the reactions of how everyone perceived the game's difficulty while also gauging their enjoyment of said difficulty.

Personally, I found it slightly difficult a couple of times but no where near the level of difficulty I'd have liked to have seen.

There were a couple of things that I had to think a while for but overall I never had to go and look at a walkthrough ;) If I were stuck it was maximum 2-3 minutes and then it was solved either by skill, chance or the game actually almost saying it out loud for me.

That was pretty much exactly my experience as well. I only got semi-stuck twice. Everything else was a breeze. No challenge at all really. I enjoyed solving the puzzles at first and took pride in my own "genius"...until it got boring solving them all too quickly

I think there should really be clarification for Shay and Vella.

Shay's story was honestly so straight-forward, quick, and easy that I got bored with it at some points. It never really gave me satisfaction for figuring something out. Some things like the "breaking the routine" deal should be available as an option only after the player does all of the things once. The game just sort of allows you to do everything too fast.

Vella's story however, holy crap there were some parts where I didn't know what the hell I was supposed to do. I had to look up guides at three specific moments because I had thought I exhausted all possible options. I think the riddle-solution at the end was probably the most aggravating because I don't think the solution really meant anything in relation to the riddle.

Shay's story really should be played first however, since it seems to flow best with the story. I played through Shay's in entirety, then went to Vella— i.e., I didn't switch between characters. Another issue I had with the game was the concept that I was able to just "solve" things without really even having the character(s) discover what it is they needed to do. This not only broke my immersion in the game, but really made it feel as though it was rushed. Vella shouldn't know via instinct why she wants the bucket from the Mayor-Candidate's head.

I choose option two - everything was too easy.

Never had any trouble figuring out a puzzle. I am always talking about everything with the characters, checking the whole scene for spots to click and items to grab and yeah that's it.

The question that comes to my mind after answering your poll - Would I still back this project after playing Act 1? Probably not.

The game took me 4 hours and 16 minutes. I spent a lot of time going around to every character and trying to interact with every object to see what they all said. I wanted to make sure I got everything.

I did get stuck twice for an hour and a half maybe when I didn't know you could combine items and when the last puzzle bugged out for me and didn't launch the cut scene.

The question that comes to my mind after answering your poll - Would I still back this project after playing Act 1? Probably not.

I somewhat agree, though I'm holding out hope for Act II before I make that judgment.

I choose option two - everything was too easy.

Never had any trouble figuring out a puzzle. I am always talking about everything with the characters, checking the whole scene for spots to click and items to grab and yeah that's it.

Why not? I am more than happy with what I got and I wish I paid more.

Also this is only half of the game.

Because it's not what we expected. Why back another game if it's going to be just the same thing? I'd probably buy another Kickstarted adventure eventually if it got released afterwards in a Humble Bundle or something, but I wouldn't back it. That style of adventure game is not what I want to support.

Vella shouldn't know via instinct why she wants the bucket from the Mayor-Candidate's head.

Yeah. Same thing with the art piece from the house. I got it before I even knew I needed it.

Vella shouldn't know via instinct why she wants the bucket from the Mayor-Candidate's head.

Yeah. Same thing with the art piece from the house. I got it before I even knew I needed it.

Yeah, these two examples as well as Shay's missions in the beginning I solved without knowing it, or pciked up without know I actually needed them.

SPOILER

"Hey mr. can I have your hat" shouldn't have been an option until actually having the tree puke in the first place.

END SPOILER

I found the game far too easy as well in general.

I feel that the project's original goal got derailed from "this is especially for you, the backers: an old school PnC adventure that's impossible to get funded by a publisher" into, "let's adjust the accessibility to have broader appeal and save our company".

Maybe I would have made the same choice in Tim's place, who knows. I certainly wish for Double Fine to be successful AND remain independent. Hopefully their next adventure game with this engine will be more hardcore.

For those of you who want a challenge: find the "old school look" easter egg in the game, without looking it up.

Thanks to programmer Oliver Franzke we actually have 1 difficult puzzle in the game :-p

Vella's part was more challenging than Shay's, but still easy compared to the games of old, which is why I selected the 'difficult but not enough' option. I hope Act 2 will provide more of a challenge, but I would still have backed just for Act 1 given how awesome the videos and everything have been so far.

Maybe I would have made the same choice in Tim's place, who knows. I certainly wish for Double Fine to be successful AND remain independent. Hopefully their next adventure game with this engine will be more hardcore.

Yeah I hope this isn't the end for this engine. Regardless of your opinion on the content, the feel of the game is superb, and I hope this isn't their last foray into the genre.

I got hung up at a couple spots, but never so bad I couldn't figure it out. The things that got me were the Riddle of Yorn (missed the item and had to backtrack to get it), the Mog Chothra puzzle at the end, and getting the third golden egg (dumb oversight).

It wasn't as brain dead as recent Telltale efforts and there were moments where I had to stop and think but there were also too many where the first thing I tried worked without the need to think laterally.

I think it's good that the game was logical and clear and didn't need a walkthrough, and I don't want a total return to the hair pulling of old school adventures, but if I was to vote, I'd vote to make it a little harder.

I didn't mind the lack of puzzles even as much as I missed interaction with the world.

Say what you want about verbs, but they give a specific language to the player and make the world less static. If you have "pull" in the game, everything becomes "pullable", even if it only works on a few objects. It gives the player more context to their actions, as opposed to a generic "interact with".

At the very least there should be a "look" verb to let the player examine the world without interacting with it. This is also a great opportunity to give the player hints about the puzzles or even indicate that there is a puzzle to be solved in the first place.

I didn't mind the lack of puzzles even as much as I missed interaction with the world.

Say what you want about verbs, but they give a specific language to the player and make the world less static. If you have "pull" in the game, everything becomes "pullable", even if it only works on a few objects. It gives the player more context to their actions, as opposed to a generic "interact with".

At the very least there should be a "look" verb to let the player examine the world without interacting with it. This is also a great opportunity to give the player hints about the puzzles or even indicate that there is a puzzle to be solved in the first place.

I understand what you say, but I think it's not neecessary tu use verbs. There are great adventures, such as Grim Fandango or Machinarium, which do not need verbs. I don't see Broken Age's problem is related to "verb debate". I would say the problem is Broken Age is lack of interactive objects/characters. Also, the obvious puzzles do not help because everybody thinks they do not need to investigate and interact to find the solution.

disappointedely easy.

I thought it was supposed to be an old time classic?

In all honestly the germans are miles ahead in making adventure games.

American adventure game makers are now kaput and have lost their way.

disappointedely easy.

Have you played the WadjetEye games? Blackwell games are truly great.

I understand what you say, but I think it's not neecessary tu use verbs. There are great adventures, such as Grim Fandango or Machinarium, which do not need verbs. I don't see Broken Age's problem is related to "verb debate". I would say the problem is Broken Age is lack of interactive objects/characters. Also, the obvious puzzles do not help because everybody thinks they do not need to investigate and interact to find the solution.

I'm not saying verbs are necessary, I'm saying that they are beneficial.

You don't even have to have a row of verbs in the interface like in the old games. Just give the player persistent tools to help them solve problems and to express their character. A "crowbar" verb in the inventory could be just as great as a "kick" verb in another part of the interface.

hahaha, no.

As far as puzzles are concerned, I would agree. Except I don't know of any German-made adventure games so I don't have firsthand experience with how difficult they are.

I'm not sure how to rate it. I found it fairly easy. And I was only stumped for very brief periods. But I'm not sure if being stumped is good or not. Would I have enjoyed myself more if I were stumped on several puzzles for 10 minutes unable to progress with one puzzle keeping me running around trying to find a solution for 30? I don't think so. Of course finally solving a really hard puzzle can be rewarding. Or is that relieving? I'm not sure I liked being stuck for a long time on certain puzzles in Portal 2 for example.

That said, while I don't want to say that the game was too easy, I don't mind saying that the puzzles were too simple. A complex puzzle doesn't have to be frustrating. But like, swapping the positions of two items to create a weapon? That was just too simple. If it were three items at least there would have been six possible combinations and I would have had to use my brain a little to determine what the correct order was.

Not that I didn't enjoy the game a great deal. I got a far better game than I expected to when I pledged my money. If they had to reduce the complexity of the puzzles for budgetary reasons, then I can totally forgive that.

I would be interested to see how someone who has never played an adventure game of this style before would do. I am trying to get my girlfriend to play it, I suspect that many of the adventure game ideas like clicking-fucking-everything and choosing-every-dialogue-tree and combining items won't come so easily to most people.

Because it's not what we expected. Why back another game if it's going to be just the same thing? I'd probably buy another Kickstarted adventure eventually if it got released afterwards in a Humble Bundle or something, but I wouldn't back it. That style of adventure game is not what I want to support.

I'd back another Double Fine adventure game in a heartbeat. Easy or not, it has a great story, and it was $15 for not only (a presumed) 8 hours of gameplay, but also a great documentary that's several hours long. I would have felt I got my money's worth if I'd spent $30 on it.

I voted that the game was too easy, but I think Tim imagined the beginning of the game at an introductory level for anyone who isn't an adventure game fan. An adventure game should get progressively harder, and I think Broken Age did this very well. Though, I'm saying that before Act 2 comes out, but I think Tim sees the feedback, and if the documentary is anything to go by, Tim knows about this and will make the puzzles more complex.

disappointedely easy.

Have you played the WadjetEye games? Blackwell games are truly great.

They're pretty good, but I think whats funny, is that the Yahtzee series is still better.

I'd back another Double Fine adventure game in a heartbeat. Easy or not, it has a great story, and it was $15 for not only (a presumed) 8 hours of gameplay, but also a great documentary that's several hours long. I would have felt I got my money's worth if I'd spent $30 on it.

And I don't feel that story is more important, so I wouldn't back another one if it was going to be like this. Good story or no. I would just buy it (on sale, like I buy all my other games). Yes, the documentary was a huge selling point for this Kickstarter and I enjoyed it extremely, but I don't see the need for a second documentary. So no, I wouldn't back another one. All things considered, I would probably still have backed this one if I had known what was coming, partially due to the documentary. But I wouldn't have pledged as much as I did.

But again, Act II isn't even out yet! So I can't make that judgment yet.

I went with the "everything was obvious" and it was "too easy" option. That being said, I did get snagged twice. However, both those times were my own fault for not actually thinking about the problem for a second, which was because I was almost in autopilot for most of the puzzles. It was still a great experience, I still really enjoyed it. I would also back another one, but I am REALLY hoping that the second half is MUCH harder.

Sign in to follow this