Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
thesporkman

What puzzles were cut?

We saw in the documentary that many playtesters got stuck on and frustrated with the opening of Shay's story. In the released game, that sequence is easy enough to be solved accidentally. What did it originally entail? And what other puzzles were cut from the game before release?

I think MusicallyInspired is right. You can`t test an Adventure Game the same way you test Call of Duty or something.

I think almost everyone including me would play much "dumber" while playing under the eye of some judgementall Dudes and Gals furiously taking notes :) I think they schould give the not finished builds to the people like Chris Remo. Allow to play them at home and give them Notes on the next day or something.

I think something mustve been cut or changed there and in many other places. a lot of the time it feels like its been designed one way and then simplified / hints added after testing... which is a bit of a shame but its really hard to tell how "normal" people think in these games. maybe its just right for non-adventure gamers...its up to the designers if they want to cater to new or old players.

We saw in the documentary that many playtesters got stuck on and frustrated with the opening of Shay's story. In the released game, that sequence is easy enough to be solved accidentally.

Those are not mutually exclusive. I too got stuck there for a long time because it never occurred to me to perform that action (or why it should work).

I'd bet money that the screen in the cloud colony where the maiden gives you her shoes had something else designed. You literally walk there, get her shoes by asking for them in a dialogue, and that's it! No way they designed an entire screen and an entire character to serve the purpose of giving a free item for a dialogue choice. I hope not, anyway!

I'd bet money that the screen in the cloud colony where the maiden gives you her shoes had something else designed. You literally walk there, get her shoes by asking for them in a dialogue, and that's it! No way they designed an entire screen and an entire character to serve the purpose of giving a free item for a dialogue choice. I hope not, anyway!

Unless it's a set up for Act 2. Notice that the path to the cloud colony wasn't destroyed, even when all the puzzles were solved (I enjoyed going back and showing them all my new items :D)

As for Shay's routine, I wonder if they added the hints in after playtesting.

My first time through, I thought the train thing was hilarious.

My second time, I was curious what would happen if you didn't tell the mountain to wake up.

After you wake up the mountain and the yarn robot lets go of the track, he says, "Ok, now DON'T DO ANYTHING ELSE!" This gave me the idea to tell the mountain to go back to sleep and made the puzzle trivial. So no hints would be better.

But really, why should telling the mountain to go to sleep even work? This puzzle was funny but a little dumb. How did Shay avoid breaking the mountain in all these years of use? He never thought to yell, "Go back to sleep"?

I tend to wonder if they took the easy way out on some of the puzzles to save time. I'm sure a dialogue "puzzle" is a lot easier on the schedule than a real inventory puzzle.

Unless it's a set up for Act 2. Notice that the path to the cloud colony wasn't destroyed, even when all the puzzles were solved (I enjoyed going back and showing them all my new items :D)

well it needed to be accessible in case the player hadnt gotten the fruit yet. this isnt a sierra game remember =)

but Im sure it will be used in act II as well like you say.

Sign in to follow this