Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iprigg

Poll : So did the game meet you expectations?

So did the game meet you expectations?  

1,184 members have voted

1. 1. So did the game meet you expectations?

• Absolutely Yes
    • Mostly Yes
    • I feel that something was missing
    • Mostly Not
    • Absolutely Not

Please post your vote along with your thoughts, on where the game failed to meet your expectation.

Puzzles were too easy. Everything else was great. However, puzzles are a huge part of the experience for me. Story and puzzles need to have the same attention given to them. You can't sacrifice one for the other.

Something was missing

The are 4 columns of awesomness that support my love for adventure gaming. Only two are strong and have stable Footing :)

Beautifull and ubique World = Check

Interesting and loveble Charakters = Check

Great Writing = Kinda Check. I think Vellas decisions is not constant with the brainwashed World she is living in. Yes, she is unique and interesting. But why is she the way she is? I think a couple of scenes showing us her close relationship to her Granpa would make her motivation seem clearer.

The "I am the smartest motherf*cker in the world!" - Feeling = Nope!

The game was fun, the world was beautiful and interesting, the conversations funny. But the puzzles felt too easy, at some points it felt like I was simply going trough the motions. At some point the puzzles did get a little bit more difficult, but only once did I actually get to feel that "aha!" moment after being stuck for a little bit (The last puzzle for the Vella part).

Overall I enjoyed the Vella part much more then the shane part. Because of the variety of locations it felt bigger and more diverse. After getting to the end of both parts and ending Act1 I felt it was sort of worth it. The twist is great and I can't wait to explore Act2.

Now puzzles are obviously difficult to get right in terms of difficulty, but with the limited space and items it just felt a little bit too streamlined to solve. I'm by no means an adventure game expert and I'll fully admit to having played out the monkey islands with a printed out walktrough besides me. :) But for my liking the puzzles could have been a bit harder.

But other then that I had a blast, steam informs me that it took me 3 hours to play out Act1 but it felt like 5 or 6 hours. (and not because it was boring)

Favourite character by far the woodchopper. The conversation about the ornament on the wall was just perfect.

Concerning Act 1 I voted for absolutely not.

Why (short version, because I explained it at least 3 times):

- not the classic adventure I backed for (imo)

- felt like an interactive book for children

- the one click interface

- don't like the characters at all

- seeing it as a story driven game it's by far not as good as The Walking Dead Season 1 (sorry, but the story around Clementine and Lee was a masterpiece!), but this could be changed with Act 2 (but as I mentioned my vote is for Act 1)

- the puzzles has been too easy to solve

- I missed some interaction with the environment (the ladder comes down and everybody on the cloud has nothing to say about this? Come on)

- there are not that much scenes to explore (I have a feeling that we have to revisit the beach, the cloud, the spaceship and other scenes in Act 2)

Right now, I will choose to play Monkey Island, Sam and Max, DotT, Grim Fandango, The Dig and Maniac Mansion on rainy sundays (I do this probably around 3 or 4 times a year), but I won't add Broken Age to these marathons as it is by now. Sorry, don't hate me for my opinion.

Theres no option for Exceeding my expectations so I can't vote.

I voted anyway, but yeah, felt the same about the game.

Though reading posts here and else, I can now certainly understand why people find the game design questionable in parts. Being able to solve a puzzle before knowing that there is one is always a deflating feeling. For example you can direct Vella to fall through the hole in the clouds above Gus which results in him being freed from the branch. This can happen even before you know you have to figure this situation out.

What I backed for wasn't really the tough puzzles or complex verb interb interface. There are actually plenty of adventure games that do that still. What I backed for was the writing; the humor and imagination that has been missing since the genre's giants were pushed away.

And in that regard, this game has absolutely delivered. It's charming and original in a way so very few adventures are these days. I would have appreciated higher difficulty, of course, but it doesn't change the fact that this game had the magic I was hoping for and haven't seen since at least Machinarium.

I voted "mostly yes", however I must say that the puzzles were definitely way too simple, even if this is just the first half of the game.

I expected more interactivity, an interface more suited for a PC and way, way more difficult puzzles.

Otherwise, yes it did meet my expectations.

I get the STRONG feeling that puzzles were simplified to save time. It's not just hints -- there are too many puzzles that are straight-up solved through dialogue.

However, I said "mostly yes" because the game is beautiful, hilarious, and fun.

This game was absolutely charming, whimsical, and beautiful. I really loved it. I thought the voice acting was spot on, despite having some initial reservations. I also thought it was incredibly funny. It has such an incredible look that just blows me away. Almost everything was executed fantastically.

HOWEVER...

That being said...

Those puzzles were WAY too easy. I get that you guys were maybe trying to be more accessible, but many of those puzzles were of the put the square shaped peg in the square shaped hole variety. I mean, it is good thing in that I can give this game to some of my nieces and not be too concerned about them being hopelessly stuck, but I sure as hell didn't feel super challenged. Some adventure games have a good frustration aspect, this one didn't really have that.

Also, I agree with what some people are saying about the interactivity. I wish I could have dicked around a little more. I feel like there weren't as many funny dialog options, placed for the sole reason of being funny. Also, I feel like there should have been more things to interact with.

So I voted mostly yes.

"Mostly yes," only because there were times when dialog would offer options that didn't make sense until later in the game. For example: "Can I have your green thing?" before you've figured out why you need a green thing.

Otherwise, I was looking forward to an excellent story. In that regard the Act I finale blew my expectations out of the water.

What I backed for wasn't really the tough puzzles or complex verb interb interface. There are actually plenty of adventure games that do that still. What I backed for was the writing; the humor and imagination that has been missing since the genre's giants were pushed away.

And in that regard, this game has absolutely delivered. It's charming and original in a way so very few adventures are these days. I would have appreciated higher difficulty, of course, but it doesn't change the fact that this game had the magic I was hoping for and haven't seen since at least Machinarium.

Best comment in the thread. Hard puzzles can still be found, but this kind of work only comes around once in a while.

Best comment in the thread. Hard puzzles can still be found, but this kind of work only comes around once in a while.

I don't think many would disagree that the writing and atmosphere were killer.

But we backed a game, not a movie.

Great Writing = Kinda Check. I think Vellas decisions is not constant with the brainwashed World she is living in. Yes, she is unique and interesting. But why is she the way she is? I think a couple of scenes showing us her close relationship to her Granpa would make her motivation seem clearer.

The "I am the smartest motherf*cker in the world!" - Feeling = Nope!

Yup! You, Sir, are totally right!

I don't think many would disagree that the writing and atmosphere were killer.

But we backed a game, not a movie.

And you got a game. For movies go and have a look at the games from Telltale in the last 2 years.

Well, I got something much closer to a movie than I wanted.

If only the game had a better puzzle structure -- it'd be one of the best adventures I've played since 2000!

I was expecting to have fun with this game and I didn't have any preconceptions like "if it doesn't include at least 2 difficult puzzles IS NOT an adventure game", so it absolutely met my expectations.

Seriously, I never had to think about the next step for more than a minute.

However, I love the graphics style. I'd love to see more in this style with a few more puzzles that actually make you think. More combinations in the inventory, more strange puzzles that make your mind bend.

I remember surprising the cook as the chicken devil in monkey island 3 by getting tarred and feathered by the monkey pirates.

Well, one thing's for sure:

This forum has contained a higher percentage of negative feedback about the game than any other discussion I've seen about it on the internet, proportionally, but even here two thirds of people say they were mostly or completely satisfied and less that 12% say they were mostly or completely not satisfied.

I'm encouraged by this because it's easy to look at some of the more overtly negative posts popping up here and read that as a general negative sentiment about the game, but that's clearly not the case. Outside of this forum the feedback is overwhelmingly positive and inside the most negative comments are coming from a very vocal minority.

I'm not saying they should be ignored or all the criticisms are invalid (I've made one or two myself), but that should at least put it in some perspective and prove that some of the people who have come here simply to rant do not speak for all or even most of us.

No, it did not meet my expectations.

I expected a bit more on certain topics like:

- Difficulty

- Length (even if that was only Act 1 - 3 hours if way to short; im remember being stuck for days in MI and did not lost the fun because of the hilarious humor)

- Graphics (yes... this is a art masterpiece - but I expected a bit less "childish-look"

And I don't fully understand why this projects costs millions of dollars and gives me such a meaning about this game.

It feels like a game for casual players.

I suggest you all take a look on Deponia - from a small german company. 3 Acts, much bigger, hilarious humor, difficult in certain parts, easy in other (so good mix up), huge(!) world to explore, hundreds of characters and I think they had a budget WAY under 1.000.000$.

Sorry for that :/

Greets

Not with the budget.

Daedalic had way less than DFA, therefore it was more expensive (30€ is even cheap for a good game...) - but a much better and longer game

I would even pay more than that for a better Broken Age

This forum has contained a higher percentage of negative feedback about the game than any other discussion I've seen about it on the internet, proportionally, but even here two thirds of people say they were mostly or completely satisfied and less that 12% say they were mostly or completely not satisfied.

There's a good bit of negativity over at adventuregamers, too. That die-hard adventure game audience was clearly hoping for more of a challenge, but the wider audience that is not used to games being difficult anymore doesn't seem to care as much.

If I was to cast my vote, I'd say the game is too easy, but I still loved it. I think when it's complete it'll be regarded as a new classic.

It's a tricky one to call. I was hoping for a classic adventure game with super difficult mean puzzles, but in the end we got something different, and better. Given the experience I've had with it, and am still having as I enjoy repeat playthroughs, I can't possibly put any less than "Absolutely yes". I am very much looking forward to part 2 though where we have all that and the promise of harder puzzles too.

I suggest you all take a look on Deponia - from a small german company. 3 Acts, much bigger, hilarious humor, difficult in certain parts, easy in other (so good mix up), huge(!) world to explore, hundreds of characters and I think they had a budget WAY under 1.000.000$.

1) Deponia was built with a stock engine, with static backgrounds and flash animation.

2) Daedelic gets away with murder by hiring a lot of artists as "interns" and not paying them.

There's a good bit of negativity over at adventuregamers, too. That die-hard adventure game audience was clearly hoping for more of a challenge, but the wider audience that is not used to games being difficult anymore doesn't seem to care as much.

If I was to cast my vote, I'd say the game is too easy, but I still loved it. I think when it's complete it'll be regarded as a new classic.

Don't get me wrong, I agree this first act is pitched a bit too easy but it barely affected my enjoyment. I count myself among the 'die-hard adventure game audience', and I know plenty of others who feel the same way - I really do think that it's a minority of people who were SO disappointed by the difficulty that it seriously compromised their enjoyment of the game.

The only reason I'm bringing it up is that I don't want people to get the impression that there's a general air of negativity around the game, because from what I've seen that actually isn't the case at ALL.

(Gee, maybe they should've named the game Broken Base! *RIMSHOT*)

It's not what I expected. But it might be something even better.

When I played it for the first time, I was kinda disappointed. I wanted a big game! With big puzzles! Where did it all go wrong?

But now that I'm done with it, I find myself wanting to replay it more and more, thinking and rethinking over the story, and having quite a lot of fun in the meanwhile.

I remember when DotT came out, reviewers lamented that it was too short and easy, too. BA is certainly easier than DotT, don't get me wrong. But I think they have the same ability to carve a place in your heart and that Broken Age, too, will be remembered as a classic of the genre.

Anyway, it's a good game and I'm happy.

I enjoyed it, its a good game.

If I have any complaints, it lacked "edge". The tough bikers of Full Throttle, the classic noir of Grim Fandango, the metal of Brutal Legend, and the mental insanity of Psychonauts... All of these things really serve a slightly skewed worldview that adds a little hint of danger and irreverence to the whole affair. Partially because in each of them the character you play is a bit flawed, a bit shady, and wouldn't think twice about dealing from the bottom of the deck. Raw. BA was very warm and safe, many times I felt like I was playing a children's book. Vella and Shay are both just kind of... nice. Good kids, not the kind that would raise hell or lie their way into a summer camp. Which is fine, I enjoyed it, but didn't lend to much character depth.

The art was fine. When I first saw Bagel's work combined with DF's sensibilities, I was immediately thinking we were going to be seeing something rip-roaring, cutting edge character art with wild amazement on each page, like Eric Powell's "Goon". Instead it was a blue spaceship, clouds with little propellers, cabins, beaches. Competently done, but very safe, nothing here wouldn't be at home on the wall of a nursery. It felt like I was remembering pictures from one of my first readers. Put this next to the Brutual Legend art book, and it just doesn't hold the eye.

The art was kid-friendly, the difficulty was a little easy, the very light humor, and the themes (especially all the kids toys on the spaceship) made it feel as if this might be a great game to sit down and play through with my kid, but not something I'd bring up around the water cooler at the office with friends who aren't parents. It looks, feels, and plays like a really good child's adventure game.

Which I think is the twist. I think its a setup, and Act II is when all hell is going to break loose, and we're going to bookend this tale with that wild art, and the dark irreverent humor cut with a little bit of Badass that Double Fine has been so well known for in the past.

Sign in to follow this