• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
iprigg

Poll : So did the game meet you expectations?

So did the game meet you expectations?  

1,184 members have voted

1. 1. So did the game meet you expectations?

• Absolutely Yes
    • Mostly Yes
    • I feel that something was missing
    • Mostly Not
    • Absolutely Not

I voted 'I feel that something was missing' when I didn't finish the game yet. I played Vella up to that point and what I missed in her story was depth of and interaction with the characters surrounding her. Somehow I had this idea in my head that you would be able to get to know her family and the village a bit before she would be sacrificed to Mog Chothra (how do you spell that again ;)), but before I knew it she turned into a cupcake. I would have loved to chat with her grandpa more, talking about 'the good ol' fighting days'. And I felt the same about the Cloud Colony. It's such an interesting place, with these crazy ideas from Harm'ny and the colourful characters (btw I missed the Gus-dialogue so that's a treat still waiting for me). Could have done with more insight and interaction.

Plus I missed the examine-option, I always love checking everything (and everyone!) out in adventures and there wasn't a lot to just 'look at'.

On completing Act 1 yesterday, I would vote 'mostly yes' now in this poll. My points still stand, but I get that it's probably due to budget- and timeconstraints. More importantly however I feel more positive about the game as a whole. The story, the ending, the questions still remaining to be answered really won me over.

I cast my vote for "I feel that something was missing". Just finished it one 4 hour play session and well, its a good game, but not what I was hoping for. Shays part of the adventure more or less just annoyed me. The overprotective mother computer was bearable, but it really annoyed me having to play along with the wolf guys wishes. It was so obvious that he was up to no good that I really tried everything not to just do what he asked me to. Of course there is no other ways to complete the game... :-/ Vellas story I did enjoy a lot more.

I'd says the puzzles were much to easy. I just breezed through the game with little to no thinking required. Granted it took me 4 hours to complete, but thats because I explored everything as thoroughly as possible. Looking at the steam page the classification as a "casual" game is fitting.

The story is pretty good, but rather tame, no edges, just what a big publisher would like from a game. I had hoped Tim would use his new freedom but I guess you forget how to fly if you are used to a cage for so long. I have to commend the voice acting though. I found they did a really great job bringing the characters to live and helped selling the story a lot.

Graphics wise I was mostly impressed with the look of the game, but I did encounter quite a few graphic glitches that I didn't expect in a release that was called "polished". Also some of the close ups of the backgrounds should have been redrawn and not just zoomed into the original digital painting. Granted, it works most of the times, but there were some really ugly close ups that spoiled the otherwise beautiful art.

Overall I have to say I had a pretty good time with Act 1, but so far its no candidate to become a classic.

Absolutely not. Puzzles are ridiculously easy and there's precious little interaction, the whole thing is just one step away of being an interactive movie.

Tim was dishonest when he promised a classic point and click adventure (complete with Day of the Tentacle screenshot to drive the point home) if his intention was to make something like this all along.

FWIW, I have to say the game did not meet my expectations at all. My expectations were for an "old-school" point-and-click adventure game. What I received was a short, dumbed-down, simplified, tablet-ized, children's story book.

I feel like the kickstarter process was deliberately set up to appeal to a specific fan base. A small, select group of people who enjoyed the classic point and click adventure. I thought the idea was by cutting out the big company only interested in funding something that would appeal to the masses a true classic adventure game could be created.

My expectation was the game was being made for us. It did not meet my expectation.

Hopefully, the developers behind Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity truly grasp the concept of "old-school".

I feel like the kickstarter process was deliberately set up to appeal to a specific fan base. A small, select group of people who enjoyed the classic point and click adventure.

That was exactly my feelings about Telltale. I don't think Tim is going in this direction, though. At least not purposefully. I hope.

- Graphics and art were awesome, not my usual style but just amazing in their context.

- Story and VO are just as spot on as I was expecting, simply perfect.

- As mentioned by others there could have been some more interesting puzzles but what was there was fun and varied. Adventure games can range from interactive story to deep puzzler and Broken Age obviously rests to the left of that scale and does it well.

- I found Vela's section actually stumped me for a minute once or twice.

- Shay's was pretty and an awesome story but it all felt a bit linear. I didn't really have any moments where I wasn't exactly sure about what I was there to do.

Part 1 was great in just about every area, except for, what a number of people are saying, puzzle difficulty. I hope those are harder in part 2!

I guess I'm one of the few who was 'Mostly Disappointed". It's hard to say that because I think the game is very fun, has a lot of great humor and is full of fantastic ideas. The problem is that things move along too quickly that the ideas don't seem to become fully realized. I'm sure with a bit more money and a lot more time then they would have been able to really make this game an epic on the scale of DotT or Grim Fandango, but as it is the game seems more like a demo, and that's just disappointing, mostly.

Of course they don't want to deliberately appeal to any groups they cannot please. But I am sure that also with the other kickstarter-projects there will be disappointed backers, because what is old-school and what not is very subjective. Maybe some of the backers here wouldn't have been happy without the 8bit mode as well :D

I voted "mostly yes". The game surpassed my expectations in most things (graphics, sound, humour, story). Of course the puzzle complexity could have been higher and if you have a longer game and get to know the characters more, you also bond more with them. But maybe part 2 will fix that as well.

The documentary did hugely surpass my expectations. I am very happy that there will be more episodes.

Broken Age Act I - Fairy Tale Boy and Girl Escape Toy Spaceship and Cupcake Eating Monster.

Change cupcakes into young girls* and toy spaceship into nurserypunk Matrix and it would be more accurate.

* They were cupcakes in Bakertown, fish bait in Fisher Village and birds in Cloud Colony, according to what each culture valued.

I don't know what I was expecting, I backed late and I primarily wanted the documentary, but I enjoyed what I played. I will say it is missing something: challenge.

I expected a puzzle game and got an interactive storybook.

+ Beautiful art

+ Good voice acting

- Too easy "puzzles"

- Too little character interaction

- Too little time spent in each area

The art, the voices, and the music was fantastic. The story I'll wait until it's finished to emit a judgement. The gameplay (puzzles) disappointingly, embarrasingly simple. I desperately wanted a dedicated "examine" button.

Too easy/short. I understand it's only the first half, but part2 is probably going to have similar length and slightly more challenging puzzles.

The visuals, artwork, audio, and overall cohesion were top notch.

Very entertaining dialogue, unique characters, silly environments.

For the price? 8/10

All my posts about this game so far have been slightly negative; this is purely because I'm focusing on aspects of the game I found lacking. The game itself is wonderful.

Loved the artwork, the music was a pleasure, the dialogue kept me grinning throughout and I'm really looking forward to part two. That said I would have liked to have spent more time with characters and a bit less hand-holding when it comes to puzzles; both of these issues I'm hoping will be solved come the second half.

I have voted "Absolutely Yes", but in fact it exceeded my expectations. It was great and I was expecting it to be only very good :) I trusted Tim's talent, of course, but I guess I thought it was just impossible for him to create a graphic adventure as good as the Lucasarts classics after so much time. I'm really glad I was wrong. All the magic of classic games is there, and current technology allows to do things like close-ups that really enhance the experience. Adventure games are not dead! :) I loved everything, really: story, humor, art, animation, music, voice work. Even the puzzles had the perfect difficulty for me. It feels great to be able to complete a graphic adventure without having to read a guide :) There are bad things too, of course: lots of bugs :D Counting the days for Act 2...

I think its easy to get bogged down on a lot of the posts in the general discussion thread being a bit negative but I think its great to see that well over half voted mostly or absolutely yes.

I voted "absolutely not" because honestly after watching the documentary I expected it to be terrible, but it ended up being pretty decent.

My biggest gripes are the lack of genuinely challenging puzzles. But games do tend to get harder later on, and we've only seen the first half of the game, so I'll reserve final judgement until Act 2 comes out.

(P.S. I agree with Azekiel about Deponia being better than what we've seen so far of Broken Age)

- Easy puzzles - I feel this was a bit of a cop-out, probably to appeal to the modern-day "adventure game" player.

- Missing verb coin, or at least a right-click to look at - again, a tactic to appeal to the touch-screen crowd.

Otherwise, what a gorgeous game - really enjoyed it ! After Act II we definitely need a second kickstarter for Tim & DoubleFine to make us another game with a verb-coin ala Full Throttle/MI3, and with classically crazy puzzles such as those in Day of the Tentacle!

Abandoning my lurker tendencies to provide some feedback now that I've played through all of Act 1.

First, some background: I'm a huge video game geek, but I was not exposed to adventure games in their heyday. My love for Double Fine really started with Psychonauts, which I found after trading mini-comics with Scott C. at a Stumptown Comics Fest.

After playing through most of the DFA catalog, I scrounged up a copy of Grim Fandango and completed it. I loved its characters and story, but I would have been stuck quite a few times without consulting walkthroughs. (Most of the time the solutions were something I had already attempted, but I hadn't nudged Manny to exactly the right pixel or something...)

All this to say that I appreciate the adventure game genre, but I lack the reverence for it that I suspect many do. I did not back the DFA Kickstarter because I wanted another LucasArts game... I did so because I wanted to play a Double Fine adventure game.

Now that I've finished Act 1, I'm happy to say that it absolutely met and exceeded my expectations. (Spoilers below...)

I loved the story, the characters and the settings. I loved the dialog and the jokes (my wife said she heard me laugh out loud numerous times while playing).

The interface in particular I thought was a wonderful improvement over the adventure games of yore. At first, my experiences playing those older titles made me distrust the cursor... I had this muscle memory of needing to be overly specific about the action I wanted to take. But I soon figured out that 99% of the time it knew what I was attempting to do. I also dig the accelerated responses when clicking multiple times.

My expectation with independent games is generally ~ 7 hours of play time. I ended up completing Act 1 in just under three and a half hours. Of course I'd always love more of a good thing, but it did not feel shorter than I expected.

Some of the puzzles did seem easy, but there were also puzzles that stumped me for a short while. For some reason my brain has trouble with puzzles that require the combination of multiple inventory items. Thankfully, the ability to switch stories ended up jogging my brain and I figured it out.

The only puzzle I feel I solved through sheer luck alone was collecting the sap... I had trouble figuring out the driftwood was clickable. I kept thinking my cursor was changing because it was close to the gulls and chum...

My favorite puzzles were the ones where Shay had to prepare the ship to go to Prima Doom. I really loved being able to explore the ship freely, seeing how everything connected. I felt smart when I solved how to get to the boom arms from outside the ship.

The game crashed on me one time, seemingly randomly while exploring the shore of Shellmound. This screen was the only one that seemed to slow down frequently on my machine. When I restarted the game, my progress was completely intact, so it was only a minor annoyance.

The ending threw me for a loop and got me incredibly excited for Act 2.

To summarize: I really adore Act 1 of this game. I'm so proud to be a backer and to have my name in the credits. Can't wait for the rest!

2014-01-16_00004_highlighted.jpg

2014-01-16_00004_highlighted.jpg.b8d01d4

I voted mostly yes because it seems it'll be somewhat shorter than what I was hoping for (Grim Fandango length).

I think the game was a RIDICULOUSLY GOOD VALUE for original $15 backers, extremely good value for $30 slacker backers, and I was VERY pleased with the art and sound design of the game. The story has me hooked just like Tim intended.

The walking animations of the characters are a bit clunky, but the remaining animations are good and mesh well with the art style.

Considering the game budget and everything else, this game is a triumph and I am very happy I backed it.

I can't wait for the next documentary part!

Something missing for me.

I loved the setting, art, music and characters.

The puzzles were incredibly simple to the point of being boring/non-existent and I say that as someone that is generally terrible at adventure games and frequently gets stuck. It wasn't just that though - things just seemed very 'on the nose' with very few options to interact with and explore the world of the game in anything apart from one set way that advanced progress. Conversations with characters were charming but seemed narrowly directed towards solutions that were already very obvious. I don't know if that was caused by having voice work but it would have been nice to talk more to characters and have digressive conversations without having a direct purpose and to hear more jokes.

As a rule I had so few items on hand and so few things to interact with and the puzzles were easy enough that it was simple to just brute force puzzles even if I wasn't trying to or didn't want to. At times I felt like I should deliberately hold off from doing something that I knew would provide a solution because I hadn't even heard what I was supposed to be doing yet or why.

I've had more tension in puzzles from locked in a room flash games on the internet, Usbourne children's puzzle adventure books like Puzzle Farm, Puzzle Planet etc, or from hidden object games and that's kind of disappointing.

I've just finished the game and I have to say I was mostly satisfied with it.

The story ramped up slowly, but got more and more interesting towards the end of Act 1 with a satisfying conclusion. Also a lot of Shae's non-sensical activities with the grabbing arms made a lot of sense after I finished Vella's act.

I really enjoyed the story and it left me with a lot of questions and I like how the ending became a reversal of the beginning.

I really hope to see more difficulty in the puzzles going into Act 2, one thing about the puzzles in Act 1 was some rather obvious over-hinting about what to do from speech dialogue, e.g. the talking tree, you guys would know what I'm talking about.

Hints are good, but when it's overdone, it's basically telling you what to do before you even know why you need to do it. A lot of the puzzles I figured out this way simply because the dialogue hints were too strong. It's much more rewarding when you see the problem first and then figure out the solution.

Great job, I was mostly satisfied with it, and I think I'll reserve my judgement for Act 2, I've already bought a few copies on steam for my friends, who are casual gamers, so I'd really like to hear what they have to say about it.

I am disappointed by Act 1 and don't see how Act 2 can turn this around. I feel misled and betrayed. I was promised a classic adventure for traditional adventure fans. I received an oversimplified, streamlined version for the tablet generation. I expected Lucasarts, I got Telltale. I suppose the game is decent enough for what it is, but my expectations were higher. Looks like the rest of the backers have low expectations and will give Schafer a free pass, maybe a deserved one for past work. But I don't think I'll be around the next time they come to kickstarter.

Everyone are entitled to their opinions about the game, but please stay away from arrogant comment like that about other people, just because they don't share your opinions. My expecations were extremly high, and they were mostly met. It's not because Tim Schafers past but on what the whole Reds Team have done now.

For me BA exeeded my expectations. It's a lovely, lovely game and my expectations for the second act are now much higher.

Pitch video 10/10 (point & click adventure from Schafer, Gilbert and DF, thinking of a LucasArts adventure)

Act 1 6/10 (dumb title, casual game design, lack of interesting puzzles and exploration, cumbersome drag & drop interface, short, some soso story/characters, privacy issues with the Beta release, not being a full game, the game obviously also has its strengths)

So, no, not yet.

Beautiful, warm, charming and a little too easy.

90,000 adventure fans would have appreciated a little more challenge. I'm sure the tablet people would have caught on!

Sign in to follow this